Phuket Opinion: Let The Taxis Go Free

Lite Beer

Phuket Opinion: Let the taxis go free
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_Taxis_have_a_restricted_exist
Taxis have a restricted existence on Phuket. Image: Gazette Graphics

PHUKET: I saw many things of interest in Bangkok last week, including a woman riding a motorbike with a squirrel on her shoulder.

But the sweetest sights of all were the little red lights that peeped out here and there between tuk-tuks, trucks and cars on the busy streets of the capital.

They spelled out waang in Thai, or “free” in English, and they were on the dashboards of metered taxis.

In Bangkok, it is possible to see taxis in their native habitat, roaming the streets wild, foraging for customers.

The domesticated taxis of Phuket, for various reasons unable to look for sustenance themselves, live a captive lifestyle at the airport, big resorts and shopping centers on the island. Wherever they lurk, they find themselves hopelessly chained to groups.

With limited resources available, it’s no surprise that the drivers of unmetered taxis are forced by their owners to charge exorbitant fares, and fights over customers break out.

And it’s also no surprise that the drivers of metered taxis don’t turn on their meters. Why should they accept the chains of a meter and be forced to earn less than their unmetered colleagues?

Worst of all, because the taxis all gather at the tourists' watering holes, they are not available on the streets of Phuket for travellers who need them.

The solution is clear. First, put a meter in every single taxi in Phuket. Serving the interests of no one, the two-tiered metered and unmetered system is simply unworkable.

Then apply a loitering law that prevents taxis from staying in one spot for long periods, fruitlessly waiting for customers. Let them run free and let them make money.

Imagine being able to step to the curb in Phuket Town and flag down a taxi to go anywhere on the island.

I’d use one to go to Central Festival, and avoid the struggle to find a space in the gridlocked car park there.

And if taxis were released into the wild, parking places at the airport would be freed up too.

Currently, tour vans and taxis of both kinds take up almost a third of the airport parking spaces, making it nearly impossible to find a spot, although I did once find a space there – at 5:45am. But when I returned from my trip, my car was blocked in by a tour van.

Last but not least, if taxis returned to the streets, with meters in place and turned on, the scam-factor would diminish considerably.

Free the taxis!

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Opinion-Let-the-taxis-go-free-21214.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-02

• Like 1

You have to remember the taxi / tuk-tuk drivers are locals, local jobs and spend money locally. It would most probably take actions from the locals to make any change, and for the time being it's not in the cards.

Everyone please vote with yr pocketbook: only take the airport minivans for THB 150 (approx fare to Phuket Town), and verbally express yr disdain for their pricing to the taxi touts as u exit the airport building. Its clear this banana republic's govt wont do anything to help, as assuredly they are in prime position on this mafia and it's cash-flow.

"Then apply a loitering law that prevents taxis from staying in one spot for long periods, fruitlessly waiting for customers. Let them run free and let them make money."

It's a little sad that these taxi drivers aren't sharp enough to realize their waiting is fruitless -- laws have to be made to prevent them from being a victim of their own stupidity. Unfortunately, there's nobody around who's going to be willing to stick their neck out to enforce such a law and face the Phuket Transportation Mafia.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like that Phuket Gazette never rode a meter taxi in Phuket as a meter taxi not turning on the meter is cheaper than with the meter on!! Just for the record!!

Been here long?

19 years and counting.

Just got back to Phuket today. Girlfriend is still away so had to deal with the taxi's. Lowest price i was quoted from airport to Patong was 900THB, that was by the meter taxi booth. They said they no longer used the meters. Ended up taking the 180THB minivan. Tiredsaai.gif