1 Year Thai Driving Licence.

MrZM

I am British and returning to the UK. I currently hold a 1 Year Thai driving Licence, will I be able to use this to drive in the UK as I don't currently hold a British driving licence.

Thanks in advance

Have a look here - self explanatory.

"All foreigners with driving licences issued outside of the UK are allowed to drive in the UK for 12 months without obtaining a British driving licence."

But I suspect that as you're a British resident, you might have a few dramas if the boys in blue pick you up for a dodgy taillight trying to explain why a UK resident is driving on a Thai passport.

http://www.justlanded.com/english/UK/UK-Guide/Travel-Leisure/Driving-licences

Edited by Gsxrnz

It used to be that you had to wait until the one year 'anniversary', or just afterward, to get the five-year renewal but I think that 'rule' may have been relaxed or it was DLT-office specific? I renewed my initial one year licenses (auto and motorcycle) about 35 days before they were due to expire, owing to travel plans, at the Bang Chak DLT office without issue. The five year renewal runs until your subsequent fifth birth-date, so in my case the licenses are actually valid for 5 years and 9 months.

Have a look here - self explanatory.

"All foreigners with driving licences issued outside of the UK are allowed to drive in the UK for 12 months without obtaining a British driving licence."

But I suspect that as you're a British resident, you might have a few dramas if the boys in blue pick you up for a dodgy taillight trying to explain why a UK resident is driving on a Thai passport.

http://www.justlanded.com/english/UK/UK-Guide/Travel-Leisure/Driving-licences

It would be problem only if said British resident also had a valid UK license as well and was using the Thai DL to circumnativgate getting points or similar on their British DL....wink.png

I think I read somewhere that it is only a temp licence and that you need the 5 year one !!

That is what I have just rented a car with back here in U.K..

Sure someone else will tell you for definite ??

The 1 year Thai DL is a temporay DL and shouldnt be used outside Thailand, you may very well get away with it in the UK as suspect they dont know any different, but if you have an accident and by some chance they find out, you could be in trouble with insurance payouts etc

• Type 1 - Temporary Private Car: This licence is issued to those who have successfully completed the driving test. This licence is valid for a period of one year. Licence holders are not permitted to drive outside the country.
  • Type 2 - Private Car: This licence is issued to those who have possessed Temporary Licence for a period of one year. This licence is valid for a period of five years. Private Lifetime Car is no longer issued to new applicants but remains valid to existing holders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Thailand