Bangkok's Iconic Chatuchak Market Under Threat Of Closure

webfact

Phuket News: Chatuchak market under threat of closure

1370234662_1.jpg
Chatuchak: Immensely popular with locals and tourists alike. Photo: J J Harrison

BANGKOK: -- The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has threatened to close the capital’s iconic Chatuchak weekend market if it loses its final battle over rental fees.

SRT governor Prapas Chongsanguan made the threat on Friday (May 31) as the SRT prepared to take its case to the Supreme Administrative Court.

The Central Administrative Court ruled the day before that the SRT could not increase the monthly rental fees from B890 to B3,157 per stall.

The ruling was made on the grounds that the SRT had no authority to manage the market because the area was not associated with rail transport, even though the Chatuchak area belongs to the SRT.

The SRT took over one of the most popular markets in the country from the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration after the latter’s lease contract expired last year.

The railway agency then decided to increase rents and shop owners countered by taking the case to the court.

The SRT is the most heavily indebted government agency in the country, with accumulated losses of B40 billion. While it owns many plots of land with very high development potential, it lacks the funds to make even the most basic investments.

Mr Prapas said was surprised by this week’s ruling, adding that the SRT would appeal it to the higher court.

He defended the rental increase as it included other services including electricity and running water charges. The old rate set by the BMA did not include other costs, he added.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-2013-06-03

• Like 1

You gotta be kidding me. Have always heard rents there were 30,000/month; therefore, I suspect the actual leaseholder sub-divides and sublets at great profit. I say enforce the new rent since they seem pretty reasonable to me, and now include "other services" like water and electricity (which I am pretty sure were simply 'stolen' in true developing world/street vending ways in the past). And have the BMA take it back over, since the market is a cornerstone of tourism for the city.

Edited by soinowinbkk

You gotta be kidding me. Have always heard rents there were 30,000/month; therefore, I suspect the actual leaseholder sub-divides and sublets at great profit. I say enforce the new rent since they seem pretty reasonable to me, and now include "other services" like water and electricity (which I am pretty sure were simply 'stolen' in true developing world/street vending ways in the past). And have the BMA take it back over, since the market is a cornerstone of tourism for the city.

Indeed *some text missing* this article is not complete.

Indeed *some text missing* this article is not complete.

Nothing missing ... 3 separate points, all taken directly from the original story: rent increases; justification by SRT; BMA lease expiration and return to SRT.

I'm still trying to figure this out:

The ruling was made on the grounds that the SRT had no authority to manage the market because the area was not associated with rail transport, even though the Chatuchak area belongs to the SRT.

If the area belongs to SRT, why can't SRT set the rental rate? They are not "managing the market," they are setting rental rates as the property owner.

• Like 1

I'm still trying to figure this out:

If the area belongs to SRT, why can't SRT set the rental rate? They are not "managing the market," they are setting rental rates as the property owner.

Surely SRT don't "own" the property. I thought SRT was a government body - in which case the SRT belongs to the people and SRT administers the the land on behalf of the people. But if it is to run successfully then for sure rents need to pay for the necessities. These small businesses are the life blood and character of a society - close them all down to make a glitzy shopping centre and all the money goes to developers and you end up with a city that is souless.

• Like 1

hi all, this thread gave me pretty good info about the actual problem of chtuchak vendors. I would like to get some clarification for group members, few months back I went to the weekend market to rent a shop but the rent that was demanded by the shop owners/ leasers was ranging between 13000 to 27000 the per month. I fail to understand how can one get a shop in that market as such a low rate . is there a different channel or approach that one needs to follow in order to get shop at such a rate? I import cosmetics and Indian handicrafts to Thailand, currently I am in wholesale but was planning to open up an retail counter. I woul appreciate your advice. thanks , Vivek

If they close it down, where will all the pickpockets work? They have perfected their trade out there. A few years ago the wife had her hand bag sliced with a razor on two sides and never felt a damn thing. Those crooks are good.

If the market closed, I would miss it more than if SRT closed.

David

If either closed, it wouldn't bother the vast majority of people.

Nice piece of real estate there to redevelop for hotels/condos/shopping malls.

Edited by Sunderland

If the market closed, I would miss it more than if SRT closed.

David

If either closed, it wouldn't bother the vast majority of people.

Nice piece of real estate there to redevelop for hotels/condos/shopping malls.

And, of course, Bangkok needs more hotels/condos/shopping malls. bah.gif

David

• Like 1

Yep, I wouldn't miss it at all. How could you miss being in the heat bumping into people that walk like they are crippled and haven't a clue how to get out of the walk way when they suddenly decide to stop to chat, pick their nose, look around bewildered...

Wouldn't take any visitors there either. The three times I have been there I never found a good deal. Nope no loss other than for the clueless visitor who is told it is an icon of BKK tourism and you should go there.

"the rent that was demanded by the shop owners/ leasers was ranging between 13000 to 27000 the per month." hmm My guess is that some vested interests rent the shops for that low ball figure, with no intention of opening a shop, then sublease at those much greater prices. How about raising the rents, but REQUIRING those who rent the spaces actually have a shop there? Fat chance that is going to happen. Net effect would be actual vendors paying less, cutting our speculators, RR getting more pay. Everybody happy except the sub leasors who no doubt have good connections....so it won't happen.

. so what I understand from the info that I've been able to gather so far is that only 10 percent of them , I mean the actual lessors run their own shop apart from them everyone have re rented it at a much higher price. honestly what the sort is demanding is not more than 4000 baht and I would like some one to assist me to get a shop for twice the price, I'm willing to pay 8000 baht but I know won't find a place 8 * 8 in that figure, it's all about earning money, they just don't want to give a share of the extra income earned to srt,

Visiting both chatuchak and asiatique last two years, could'nt help noticing that an increasing amount of tourists are (being by tour-operators)

redirected/attracted to the latter. chatuchak attracts fewer people constantly over time, as the asiatique does opposite(and copies

quite a bit of the concept of chatuchak).

Heck in a few years asiatique will have the same shoving and pushing as chatuchak in its "golden days"

New project pleasewink.png

The recent going price for a 2m x 2m lockable space with no air-con is around 2 million baht to purchase. Each of these then has metered electricity that they have to pay, and for the majority of users there are a few "stand pipe" type water taps around the place - toilets are provided but at a charge of 5 baht per entry - not sure if owners get it free, but I doubt it.

What I would like to know, is how come owners of the shops have their own chanoht to the shop that was purchased - all duly registered with the lands office?

So what the SRT are trying to do is say that they will increase the rent by 400% or close it - standover tactics or what? Bloody thieves!

"the rent that was demanded by the shop owners/ leasers was ranging between 13000 to 27000 the per month." hmm My guess is that some vested interests rent the shops for that low ball figure, with no intention of opening a shop, then sublease at those much greater prices. How about raising the rents, but REQUIRING those who rent the spaces actually have a shop there? Fat chance that is going to happen. Net effect would be actual vendors paying less, cutting our speculators, RR getting more pay. Everybody happy except the sub leasors who no doubt have good connections....so it won't happen.

. so what I understand from the info that I've been able to gather so far is that only 10 percent of them , I mean the actual lessors run their own shop apart from them everyone have re rented it at a much higher price. honestly what the sort is demanding is not more than 4000 baht and I would like some one to assist me to get a shop for twice the price, I'm willing to pay 8000 baht but I know won't find a place 8 * 8 in that figure, it's all about earning money, they just don't want to give a share of the extra income earned to srt,

You do realise the cost of space there don't you? A 2 x 2 shop sells for nearly 2 million baht - so your 8 x 8 is 4 shops by 4 shops - that's 16 shops, so probably around the 24 to 30 million baht figure... a 3 bedroom house at 3 million baht to buy will end up being a bank mortgage rate of somewhere around 20,000 a month...