D S I To Investigate Bangkok Administration's Fire Extinguisher Purchase Deal

webfact

DSI to investigate BMA's fire extinguisher purchase deal
Piyanut Tumnukasetchai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) will probe a major fire extinguisher deal after the Pheu Thai Party asked it to look into suspected bid rigging.

DSI chief Tarit Pengdith said yesterday it would take the case as a special one as the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is alleged to have violated the bidding collusion law, which comes under DSI's responsibility, to look into alleged substandard fire extinguishers and unfair bidding.

Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit filed a complaint with the DSI yesterday asking it to investigate the case after "many" BMA fire extinguishers had exploded in five districts in the capital. They include Phasi Charoen, Don Muang, Sai Mai, Dusit and Chatuchak.

Prompong quoted an initial investigation by the House Committee on Corruption Preven-tion and Suppression that claimed BMA had purchased 99,797 fire extinguishers with a Bt124 million budget solely from a company called B and B.

The BMA received all the fire extinguishers in April.

He said an in-depth inquiry found the factory said to make them had a maximum capacity to produce only 5,000 pieces - which was not enough for BMA's order of more than 90,000.

"About 60,000 pieces of the total amount were found to have been imported from China, and they were checked [to find out] if their quality met the required standards. Moreover, the terms of reference stated that each fire extinguisher had to be filled with 20 pounds of gas. But the company said each extinguisher [had a capacity of ] only 9.5 pounds of gas."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-04

• Like 1

fire extinguishers,bomb detectors,tablets for schools,police stations,the rice scheme,are'nt the goverment embarressed.

This one isn't the government as such. It's the democrat controlled Bangkok Metropolitan.

This the problem with giving contracts and stipulating silly delivery times. Bit like the government tablet deal 1 million tablets delivered 90 days after contract signing :)

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I do not know what is worse, the blatant corruption or the absolutely inane reporting which fails in both depth and detail. It is a national disgrace on all fronts.

I gave up some years back - just gently shake your head in dis-belief and repeat to yourself "I just have to learn to live with it" , sure it doesn't make it right, doesn't change the utter stupidity of the many similar going's on - but it sure beats getting your balls in a knot - cause it will never change - well not in my life-time.

• Like 2

Cant see the issue with this investigation....if the DSI do find something, all the democrat's have to do is claim this investigation is politically motivated (which it appears to be anyway) and then state they dont recognise the jurisdiction of the DSI....problem solved

This one isn't the government as such. It's the democrat controlled Bangkok Metropolitan administration.

That is the reason for the DSI investigation.

It would seem all the other things they were going to investigate about the BKK admin have come to nothing (heard nothing of them anyway) so we need to try everything possible to discredit the 'wrong one' who won the election.

I would take this to be more of an (un)intellectual copyright issue than anything else. Looks like the BMA used/stole some of PTs methods of corrupt business dealings.giggle.gif

Edited by Keesters

Just to clarify, k. Noppadon is Thaksin's legal adviser, k. Prompong is only Pheu Thai Party spokesman. Even with 'Thaksin thinks, Pheu Thai acts' that would not make k. Prompong more than spokesman.

i love it here in ubon,,but how do they get away with all this corruption ,,,the money these people steal from their citizens could overhaul there disgraceful education system,i feel so sorry for the ordinary thai in the street.they dont stand a chance,,,,whoever they vote for,,

What is the role of the DSI?

From what I can see it is to cause as much disturbance as it can against the Democrats while the PTP get away with the biggest fleece rice job in Thailand's history,

They are getting to the point where they will be doing more damage to Thailand than Thaksin and his red shirted militia (fancy name for goons) did to Thailand in 2010.sad.png

fire extinguishers,bomb detectors,tablets for schools,police stations,the rice scheme,are'nt the goverment embarressed.

+ luxury car scam

looks like the [dsi] are going to be overwhelmed someone needs to order some bullet proof vests.