Siam Paragon Closed Wednesday And Thursday

Sunbelt Asia

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit much - need to confine these protesters in one area. I think constant movement is creating kaos and just asking for something bad to happen. Not to mention the traffic issues - be honest this is silly. What major city in the world would allow this to happen? :o

Edited by britmaveric

:D Indeed my Esaan family probably does aspire to all that Siam Para(dise)gon offers, this I do not deny..and it is preferable to a bar stool and smoke filled environment.

My statement intended to be a general comment on the up-market malls of this genre..sure in all capital cities,where sometimes the gap between rich and poor is not so evident/defined, these places exist...it just seems to me that whenever I am in Bangkok these monuments tend to be in ya face and truly western...guess I like the village market but did buy a 10 000 baht, beautiful shirt at Erawan Bangkok in one of their in ya face stores...just a baht away from a revolution: :o Dukkha

Bit much - need to confine these protesters in one area. I think constant movement is creating kaos and just asking for something bad to happen. Not to mention the traffic issues - be honest this is silly. What major city in the world would allow this to happen? :o

Hi Brit, It happens all over the world mate, look at Paris last week and it happens in London every year.

Cheers Noodles.

Police may disperse protest

Police have accused the anti-government People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) of planning a deliberately provocative demonstration in the heart of the capital tomorrow, warning that the protest may be broken up.

-- TNA 2006-03-28

The PAD inciting violence seems inevitable at this point.

They've run out of options. People ignore the Government House protest so they move to a place where they can annoy more people. The petition was laughable at best, criminal at worst.

After Thaksin wins in a landslide, everyone will laugh at PAD when they say they are speaking for the "people". And all faith will be lost in the opposition parties who are getting more and more quiet every day.

Edited by Thaible

:D Indeed my Esaan family probably does aspire to all that Siam Para(dise)gon offers, this I do not deny..and it is preferable to a bar stool and smoke filled environment.

My statement intended to be a general comment on the up-market malls of this genre..sure in all capital cities,where sometimes the gap between rich and poor is not so evident/defined, these places exist...it just seems to me that whenever I am in Bangkok these monuments tend to be in ya face and truly western...guess I like the village market but did buy a 10 000 baht, beautiful shirt at Erawan Bangkok in one of their in ya face stores...just a baht away from a revolution: :D Dukkha

And so the truth comes out :o

Police may disperse protest

Police have accused the anti-government People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) of planning a deliberately provocative demonstration in the heart of the capital tomorrow, warning that the protest may be broken up.

-- TNA 2006-03-28

The PAD inciting violence seems inevitable at this point.

They've run out of options. People ignore the Government House protest so they move to a place where they can annoy more people. The petition was laughable at best, criminal at worst.

After Thaksin wins in a landslide, everyone will laugh at PAD when they say they are speaking for the "people". And all faith will be lost in the opposition parties who are getting more and more quiet every day.

I don't think that anyone will laugh, than the problems will get even more. Might get a kind of war, south against isaan, educated against uneducated, medium class against rich and poor......

Hi Brit, It happens all over the world mate, look at Paris last week and it happens in London every year.

Cheers Noodles.

Approval for this sort of thing takes permits and months of planning I'm afraid, not to mention cities usually have to approve the route.

I think the best idea would be that the malcontents find a job and quit worrying that Thaksin made a lot of money because he is smarter than they are. I'm jealous too.

This seems like a pretty straight-forward thing!

They (PAD) gave Thaksin his notice ... over and over ... the 48 hour thing was the last. Now they are bringing the pressure up!

Like it or not ... Agree with PAD or not ... so far the protests have been peaceful and well organized ... and not promoting violence etc.

I doubt anyone from the West would disagree that civil disobedience is a good thing when people see injustice and abuse. ((That being said --- MANY people from the West would disagree that this situation warrants it))

Here the PAD has upped the ante and in a way that is absolutely frightening to me, but that I completely understand. This current move by the PAD will likely generate more discussion of the current situation on the international scene.

To date the press (even the local press other than the print media) has given pretty sparse coverage to the rallies that have taken place. The print media has gotten better though, and all of the local press has gotten WAY better in the last 3 weeks than in the months and years before.

I am a bit frightened because this is such a volatile situation! The police and military have a history of stepping hard on protests in the past. I truly think that Thaksin knows that stepping on the protests in any hard way will rapidly see him facing the end of his career in politics. The thing I am afraid of is that the some people might see it as acceptable to push so hard that something bad happens to make sure that this happens.

Here's to cooler heads prevailing!

Bangkokians prefer anti-Thaksin rally to stay put

BANGKOK: -- A clear majority, 71 per cent, of Bangkok residents are opposed to the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD)'s decision to move its anti-Thaksin rally to Siam Paragon shopping mall, according to Abac Poll released on Tuesday.

Pollsters surveyed 1,116 Bangkok residents on Monday following the PAD's announcement that it would shift its rally site to the shopping mall, a move that could paralyse traffic in the capital.

"The PAD's strategy to shift its rally from one site to another will antagonise the public, resulting in a loss of support for political reform," Abac pollster Noppadon Kannikar said.

Sympathy for the antiThaksin movement is strongest among members of the urban middle class, but if the protests disrupt their daily lives they will withdraw their support, Noppadon said.

After the PAD rallied on Silom and Sukhumvit roads last week, more than half of Bangkok residents said they opposed protests as a means of forcing caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to resign.

In a survey on Saturday before the Sukhumvit rally, 41 per cent of those polled said they would vote in Sunday's election. After the rally, the number rose to 64.8 per cent.

The number of voters who said they planned to tick "no vote" on their ballots fell from 25.6 per cent to 22.6 per cent, pollsters found.

-- The Nation 2006-03-28

Thailand is a democracy? How can you tell? Trying to run out a democratically elected prime minister smacks of mob rule. I am an American. Do you think I am happy with GW! He was elected so he will serve his term. Anything other than his being impeached simply will not do. These people should be trying to find someone to beat him in an election. :D

===========================================================

Well, well, well: look-ie here: amid all the drivel-merchants, there IS a voice of sanity ! ! ! ! ! Gary; I was surprised to read your posting. Your 4 odd lines of text make more sense than all the combined news-papers I have read in the last 4 weeks.

Even though I hate to admit it; you are simply and totally correct.

"Beautiful Gardens Aren't Made, by Sitting In The Shade And Sighing 'Oh; How Beautiful' . . . . . ."

:o

Trying to run out a democratically elected prime minister smacks of mob rule.

I guess that's exactly how anti-Castro protesters would be descirbed if they existed.

PAD doesn't have a go at Thaksin's popularity, they focus on his "illegality". Corrupt politicians can't claim popularity in their defence. Law is the law, no matter how popular you are.

Getting Thaksin through court system is as unlikely as suing Castro in Cuba's Supreme Court.

Trying to run out a democratically elected prime minister smacks of mob rule.

I guess that's exactly how anti-Castro protesters would be descirbed if they existed.

PAD doesn't have a go at Thaksin's popularity, they focus on his "illegality". Corrupt politicians can't claim popularity in their defence. Law is the law, no matter how popular you are.

Getting Thaksin through court system is as unlikely as suing Castro in Cuba's Supreme Court.

No harm trying to oust Thaskin, but in the end its just a waste of time. :o

Oh, and I think Siam Paragon might not be very popular place to protest. On the other hand, they promised to put more pressure on Thaksin and as with any protest some people will be inconvenienced. Wait until general strikes.

The root problem lies with Thaksin, not with PAD.

C'mon, get realistic. The problem is with jealous rivals. A couple of weeks ago I forecast a backlash against the malcontents and here it comes. I just hope no one lights the fuse to this powder keg. I really can't understand farangs getting excited and trying to interact. It is none of our business and we would be best served to keep a low profile and NOT run our mouths. I live up country and Thaksin's support is overwhelming. What are the malcontents planning to do after the new election? They have already told the country that they were going to take their ball and stay home. They don't want to play ball so they should stay home and not bother other people. Thaksin may not be the most moral politician but he is certainly the smartest.

Oh, and I think Siam Paragon might not be very popular place to protest. On the other hand, they promised to put more pressure on Thaksin and as with any protest some people will be inconvenienced. Wait until general strikes.

Thailand is a democracy? How can you tell? Trying to run out a democratically elected prime minister smacks of mob rule. I am an American. Do you think I am happy with GW! He was elected so he will serve his term. Anything other than his being impeached simply will not do. These people should be trying to find someone to beat him in an election. :o

The problem is that you have to have the capability under the administration in power at the time, to impeach or otherwise deal with those serving who are considered to be corrupt or for other reasons, inappropriate.

Such systems may actually exist in Thailand, but if they cannot be brought to bear because of various powerful external or internal "influences" then the only resort the people feel they have is this form of protest.

I doubt there is a country in the world that can boast that it has never experienced uprisings of some form during it's history.

In a place where one is reasonably sure that an election can fix the perceived problems, it is reasonable to await the outcome of a "fair and honest" election - obviously the Thai people, or at least those protesting, do not have confidence in the system (no other comment from me on this).

I can understand the reasons for the shopping centre closing, it takes nothing at all for a fairly good-humoured crowd to be thrown into confusion or panic, and even less for a crowd who are protesting in this way. Several thousand or more, protestors crashing through your store can do considerable damage, even if they are trying to avoid doing so.

If a large proportion of those in the street are not the "wealthy" Bangkokians (consumer-devils in disguise if I read correctly above), they may feel even less predisposed to peaceful appreciation of their surroundings.

I hope it all does go peacefully, as it has thus far - I fear for my adopted country otherwise.

I think the best idea would be that the malcontents find a job and quit worrying that Thaksin made a lot of money because he is smarter than they are. I'm jealous too.

Yes...I think that lots of money & material possessions lead to a high quality of life. Forget about the greed & corruption. Forget about the senseless American styled consumerism that keeps many poor countries VERY poor. Forget about freedom of speech & forget about the 'white supremestists' who 'simplistically' cast certain groups of people into one basket. Unemployed? Find a job? This smacks of Australian/English/American 'red neck' attitudes. It requires zero braincells to make racist/bigotted remarks. On the other hand, it takes guts to reject such unfair governments, given the likes of you who would probably sooner see these people incarcerated for their 'getting off their bum & doing something' attitude.

If people like these protesters were prevented from protesting, you would probably be the first to complain about living under a totalitarian regime (remember Russia, East Germany & many countries that exist today as a "controlled" populace?). Thanks to people like the protesters, who have constantly gone against the law, most parts of the world now enjoy a level of fairness that does not exist in 'dictatorship' countries. Thaksin! A dictator? Oops...how could I even think of such a thing!! Of course, if he TEMPORARILY dishes out the dollars, who gives a toss about his real motives & there possible outcomes.

Do you ever see a BIGGER PICTURE? I don't think so!

Ps The comment below was made by Martin Luther King Jr.

Siam Square traffic police, Skytrain brace for planned anti-Thaksin rally

BANGKOK: -- Hours ahead of a planned mass rally against caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra at Bangkok's key shopping district Wednesday and Thursday, more police are being deployed to facilitate traffic movement in the area.

Bangkok's Mass Transit System Pcl (Skytrain) has also stepped up security at its stations as mass crowds are expected.

Traffic Police commander Maj-Gen. Phanu Kerdlapphol said Tuesday that police worry about redirecting the traffic flow in front of the Siam Paragon luxury shopping complex since the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) will rally there starting Wednesday.

He said many drivers have telephoned police asking about alternative routes to be used instead of Rama I Road.

However, Gen. Phanu said, people who usually travel by bus will face more inconvenience since all routes will change to bypass the area.

Some bus passengers may travel by BTS Skytrain instead, but some might not be able to afford higher ticket costs, and others may have to transfer to more buses than they usually did until arrivng at their destination, he said.

Gen. Phanu said the police will deploy an estimated 100 traffic policemen at Prathumwan and Ratchaprasong intersections, both nearby Siam Square, starting at 1pm Wednesday. Nightware traffic is in the offing, he said, due to an expected mass crowd comprised of protesters, shoppers, road users, and students taking extra classes at more than 40 tutorial schools in the area.

Meanwhile BTS executive Anat Arbhabhirama said the company had planned to deploy additional security personnel at Siam Square Skytrain station and place more 30 ticketing staff at the ticket booths to facilitate passengers expected to increase by nearly double.

Siam Square Skytrain station normally serves approximately 40,000-50,000 passengers daily, he said.

--TNA 2006-03-28

[quote name='massein'

I think it was a good plan they could of got out of the heat into the AC every couple of hours

but i guess the hi so ppl don't want common ppl interloping in there space

The pad should of not been so vocal about the plans, now they have no where to go

[/quote

If I owned the center I'd close it. You'd want untold thousands of people rambling around the center, not purchasing anything much, but utilizing facilities that aren't built to handle that size of crowd. Your toliet facilities would be sorely pressed for the first few hours, before a breakdown would occur. Theft would be rampart, not so much from the political crowd but from those that take advantage of situations that are presented to them in large crowds. The buildings themselves would show a definite abuse from hordes. Its simply more economical to close than cleanup and repair and replace. It has nothing to do with the common people, just common sense.

Thailand is a democracy? How can you tell? Trying to run out a democratically elected prime minister smacks of mob rule. I am an American. Do you think I am happy with GW! He was elected so he will serve his term. Anything other than his being impeached simply will not do. These people should be trying to find someone to beat him in an election. :o

I couldn't agree more with this comment. I am no big fan of Thaksin but mob rule is worse. If the opposition was responsible they would field an opponent and support them in the next election. Otherwise sit down and shut up.

C'mon, get realistic. The problem is with jealous rivals. A couple of weeks ago I forecast a backlash against the malcontents and here it comes. I just hope no one lights the fuse to this powder keg. I really can't understand farangs getting excited and trying to interact. It is none of our business and we would be best served to keep a low profile and NOT run our mouths. I live up country and Thaksin's support is overwhelming. What are the malcontents planning to do after the new election? They have already told the country that they were going to take their ball and stay home. They don't want to play ball so they should stay home and not bother other people. Thaksin may not be the most moral politician but he is certainly the smartest.

If he was smart he wouldn't have called an election after just one year with 374 MPs out of 500.

If he was smart he would have paid tax on selling sensitive assets to Singapore.

If he was smart he wouldn't insult everyone and anyone.

If he was really smart he would be able to defend his deeds over the last 5 years but he can't.

Cancel meet the press, negative questions.

Dissolve Parliament,can't answer questions.

Go upcountry promising the earth, just like he promised to solve the Bangkok traffic jams in 6 months way back!

Gary, have you heard any of the prominent TRT MPs defending him in his hour of need?

He's going, do you want a sportsman bet?

[quote name='massein'

I think it was a good plan they could of got out of the heat into the AC every couple of hours

but i guess the hi so ppl don't want common ppl interloping in there space

The pad should of not been so vocal about the plans, now they have no where to go

[/quote

If I owned the center I'd close it. You'd want untold thousands of people rambling around the center, not purchasing anything much, but utilizing facilities that aren't built to handle that size of crowd. Your toliet facilities would be sorely pressed for the first few hours, before a breakdown would occur. Theft would be rampart, not so much from the political crowd but from those that take advantage of situations that are presented to them in large crowds. The buildings themselves would show a definite abuse from hordes. Its simply more economical to close than cleanup and repair and replace. It has nothing to do with the common people, just common sense.

The mob has already proven they don't like following the rules.

They will probably try to destroy property in Paragon to cause an incident, maybe a confrontation with police.

There is some great comments here, on both sides.

I think he is definitely on his way out. Not paying tax on such a large sum crosses a line of no return. Can you imagine paying your tax with that thought running through your head.

Surprised this strategy hasn't been pushed more, ie mass witholding of tax. It is a good simple message, suitable for the masses & media and has pretty immediate effects.

The question is how far will he go to hang on and how long will it take?

Thai democracy & people deserve kudo's for the restraint shown so far, hope for the country it continues.

good night.

So true... here in America, we have people in America illegally forming govt. policy by demonstrating. For those that are citizens, we find it a bit offensive. They are chanting phrases such as "We are America, We built America" blah blah blah. It gets old, and tiresome. Keep your heads down folks, you don't want to become a target under mob mentality. At least that is my 2 cents.

The problem is with jealous rivals.

That couldn't be farther from the truth. What makes you say that those thousands of protesters want to be as corrupt as Thaksin and get away with it? You missed their point completely, and you seriously misjudged them.

I would not say, they close because of political reasons.

If I would have a shop and expect tenthousand(s) of protesters in front of my door, I would close the door and board up the windows as protests can easily lead to riots.

Anyway, one would expect that the normal customers will stay away from the area, so closin g does not mean additional loss.

The protesters could of well become customers if treated with respect. as far as i can see they have gone out of ther way to be law bidding, the only violations i see is ferviously lawsuits by TRT

and TRT interloper runner over inncent protesters

Don't underestimate the violence Thai people are capable of when their polite peaceful persistence has failed. It is quite probable that sooner or later one of these protests will escalate into a riot and a shopping mall would be a messy place for a riot.

So true... here in America, we have people in America illegally forming govt. policy by demonstrating. For those that are citizens, we find it a bit offensive. They are chanting phrases such as "We are America, We built America" blah blah blah. It gets old, and tiresome. Keep your heads down folks, you don't want to become a target under mob mentality. At least that is my 2 cents.

Huh? when is protest NOT protected (and thus legal) by the US Constitution?

But then again this is Thailand and not the USA