Siam Paragon Closed Wednesday And Thursday

Sunbelt Asia

There is some great comments here, on both sides.

I think he is definitely on his way out. Not paying tax on such a large sum crosses a line of no return. Can you imagine paying your tax with that thought running through your head.

Surprised this strategy hasn't been pushed more, ie mass witholding of tax. It is a good simple message, suitable for the masses & media and has pretty immediate effects.

The question is how far will he go to hang on and how long will it take?

Thai democracy & people deserve kudo's for the restraint shown so far, hope for the country it continues.

good night.

You perhaps are not aware of a former PM General who moved all his money out of the country, devalued the Baht, and then brought it all back the next day doubling his fortune. He got away with it, is still in politics, and a member of the present government!

Taksin will go all the way, what hhe did may be wrong in many peoples eyes but in terms of his performance through this crisis he has observed democratic law, I believe he will succeed.

I don't know the exact percentages but Thailand is a triangle economy say < 1% stinking rich, maybe > 20% so called middle class, 80% ish the rest. 10m people live in Bangkok, 56m or so rest of Thailand and of them most believe they were/will continue to be better off with Taksin regardless of what we non Thai observers think.

Very good post.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line here as I see it is that the guests here in Thailand would be WELL advised to keep a VERY low profile and not be talking too much. If the wrong feathers get ruffled there could be thousands of bogus companies being investigated. :o

"The new government is unlikely to tolerate continued protests after the elections. A post-election crackdown on the protesters remains a distinct possibility."

This is the understatement of the year. Those protesters are gonna be dead meat if Thaksin wins this fight, and they know it. That's why they can't afford to allow any outcome other than Thaksin stepping down. Thaksin and TRT have a history of harrassing and intimidating critics using both legal and illegal means.

Thailand is a democracy? How can you tell? Trying to run out a democratically elected prime minister smacks of mob rule. I am an American. Do you think I am happy with GW! He was elected so he will serve his term. Anything other than his being impeached simply will not do. These people should be trying to find someone to beat him in an election. :o

Can't happen, Most of the ppl in the villege vote the way they are told to by villege leaders

My wife views this situation totally different from my college educated daughter

"The new government is unlikely to tolerate continued protests after the elections. A post-election crackdown on the protesters remains a distinct possibility."

This is the understatement of the year. Those protesters are gonna be dead meat if Thaksin wins this fight, and they know it. That's why they can't afford to allow any outcome other than Thaksin stepping down. Thaksin and TRT have a history of harrassing and intimidating critics using both legal and illegal means.

IF they are told to remove their shirts and lie down on the pavement at Siam Paragon, it won't be a good sign of their future... :o

qfp04663.jpg

Tak Bai police station, Narathiwat Province, October 25, 2004

cbfgre.jpg

Poster in Geneva, Switzerland at Palais de Nations, The United Nations Office

People are advised to avoid travelling to Siam Square areas or use sky trains instead.

The Commander of Traffic Police, Major General Panu Kerdlabpol (ภานุ เกิดลาภผล), asked the people to avoid traffic routes which may be affected by the People’s Alliance for Democracy’s (PAD) protests, adding that they should use skytrains to commute in the areas.

Major-General Panu commented on the PAD’s planned demonstrations in front of Siam Paragon this afternoon that the protestors plan to use roads from Pathumwan (ปทุมวัน) intersection to Ratprasong (ราชประสงค์) intersection. He said that although parts of the roads will be used, the traffic in the areas will still be closed down, worsening traffic congestion in Sukhumwit (สุขุมวิท) to Samrong (สำโรง) and Paknam (ปากน้ำ) areas, as the routes normally suffer traffic problems. He said that the traffic is expected to clog up on the expressways from Rama 9th on the Pleonchit (เพลินจิต) exits, adding that Rama 4 road will also be affected.

Major-General Panu said that the people should avoid traveling to the areas or use skytrains and subways instead. Meanwhile, the police will work to provide convenience for the people, while telling the people to avoid the routes.

Meanwhile, PAD leader Major-general Chamlong Srimuang (จำลอง ศรีเมือง) insisted that the protests will take place in front of Siam Paragon to bring information to people in the areas, adding that the PAD is doing the right thing. However, he admitted that the protest will have an impact on traffic conditions, but he said that events organized in the areas have also affected traffic there. He added that if the premier steps down, the protestors will dissolve immediately.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 March 2006

Caretaker DPM threatens to disperse demonstration

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister and Justice Minister Chidchai Wannasathit on Tuesday threatened to disperse a mass rally of anti-Thaksin demonstrators planned in front of up-market Siam Paragon Shopping Complex this afternoon if it caused great difficulties to people earning living in the area.

However, he said he would take such an action as a last resort because the government still adhered to a negotiation and peaceful resolution to cope with the demonstrators.

He said the planned move by the People’s Alliance for Democracy-led demonstrators to stay put at Siam Paragon this afternoon would cause difficulties to people earning living there and concerns among store owners that a lot of rally-goers would use their toilets.

“It is a matter of mutual respect of individual rights. Any infringement of other people’s rights is unjustified. I am very worried about noise pollution because it is near a royal place area,” he said.

On the police’s threat to disperse the rally if a lot of people filed complaints, he said officers needed to heed the people’s voices and consider whether the situation developed to an extent that the use of force is necessary.

“We have to consider whether affected people are still able to endure difficulties. If not, we must ponder how we can disperse the rally without any following problems.

“In principle, we need to hold a negotiation first like we have done before. The dispersal of the demonstration will be our last resort. I believe all Thais love peace and can solve problems by negotiation,” he said.

--TNA 2006-03-29

Anti-PM crowds to seize heart of capital, PM goes home

BANGKOK/CHIANG MAI: -- Protesters demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra were preparing to rally in a key Bangkok shopping district Wednesday afternoon in a bid to take their message to businesspeople and the middle-class.

Ahead of the planned two-day mass protest, Mr. Thaksin was in his northern hometown of Chiang Mai. He had initially planned to return to the capital this afternoon, but has put off his departure for another day.

The prime minister spent this morning paying homage to his ancestors amid cheering crowds of supporters in San Kamphaeng district before campaigning for candidates of the ruling Thai Rak Thai Party in Sunday's general election.

He is scheduled to appear in a current affairs programme on state-owned Channel 11 television tonight.

The Bangkok shopping district protest is being led by the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD), a coalition of several groups campaigning to oust the prime minister over allegations of corruption and abuse of power.

Protest leaders said they would gather at 3 p.m. (0800 GMT) at the nearby National Stadium before marching to the luxury shopping complex Siam Paragon in Siam Square, a popular gathering place for many young people.

According to the PAD, they hoped to generate wider support from Bangkok's silent majority for the prime minister's removal.

"Allowing Thaksin to remain in power will do more harm to the country than any traffic snarl which commuters may temporarily suffer," said Pipop Thongchai, a PAD leader.

Police warned earlier that the protest may be broken up if a large number of those affected filed formal complaints.

Operators of the upmarket shopping complex announced yesterday that they would close three shopping centers, including Siam Paragon, Siam Discovery Centre and Siam Centre on March 29 and 30.

They argued that the anticipated road closures and traffic chaos would affect goods delivery, and restrict access to customers and staff alike.

--TNA 2006-03-29

People are advised to avoid travelling to Siam Square areas or use sky trains instead.

Meanwhile, PAD leader Major-general Chamlong Srimuang (จำลอง ศรีเมือง) insisted that the protests will take place in front of Siam Paragon to bring information to people in the areas, adding that the PAD is doing the right thing.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 March 2006

What a load of &lt;deleted&gt; (is that OK Mr Moderator? Can I say that?). This has nothing to do with bringing "information" to the people. "The people" will avoid the area like the plague, the protesters will be preaching to the converted. This has EVERYTHING to do with causing major inconvenience to everyone else. My commute this morning took an extra half an hour - there was a bunch of protesters outside the Bangkok Bank on Sukhumvit, who decided it was OK to park their cars on Sukhumvit Road during peak hour...... :o:D

If they really didn't wish to make a mess of Bangkok they'd protest in Lumpini Park....

Army chief believes demonstration won't escalate

BANGKOK: -- Army Commander-in-Chief Gen. Sondhi Boonyarataklin on Wednesday expressed optimism that a mass rally of anti-Thaksin demonstrators planned in front of the downtown Siam Paragon Shopping Complex this afternoon would not escalate to such an extent that a dispersal of the rally is needed.

Giving an interview on the People’s Alliance for Democracy’s plan to shift the anti-Thaksin rally to the front of up-market shopping center located at the heart of the city, he said he felt worried about the demonstration and assigned officials concerned to closely monitor whether it would turn violent or not.

Gen. Sonthi said he wanted called on demonstrators to rally with caution and restrain from the use of violence.

“Personally, I think the demonstration won’t escalate. However, I can’t give an assurance right now because I don’t know what will happen.

“I believe the incident won’t turn violent because demonstrators have never done that in the past rallies. But they should be careful about ‘one drop of honey’ as well,” he said.

On mounting concerns about an intervention by a third party, Gen. Sondhi said he did not think it would happen.

He also downplayed worries that the mass rally is held near the royal place area, saying he did not think it should have a problem because demonstrators are well aware of that.

Asked how he wanted to make a plead with demonstrators if the rallies dragged on, the army chief said Privy Council President Gen. Prem Tinsulanont and other privy councilors had already made their suggestions for several occasions. So, he wanted all conflicting parties to heed their advices.

“I personally view the best solution to the problem now is to bring conflicts to be discussed on the table. All parties must not allow the situation to deteriorate. They must ask themselves what is right or wrong,” he said.

--TNA 2006-03-29

Protest leaders said they would gather at 3 p.m. (0800 GMT) at the nearby National Stadium before marching to the luxury shopping complex Siam Paragon in Siam Square
All quiet there at the moment (12.45)

Thank you for the photos, Noodles... please let us know how things are an hour from now (14:00)

This has EVERYTHING to do with causing major inconvenience to everyone else. My commute this morning took an extra half an hour

If they really didn't wish to make a mess of Bangkok they'd protest in Lumpini Park....

Were you similarly inconvenienced with extra travel time when they blocked off the same roads for a "fashion parade" :D:o earlier?

Edited by sriracha john

i think this is where the anti-thaksin clowns are going to lose a lot of the sympathy of normal thai people.

businesses are having to be shut, people will lose wages and takings and hundreds of thousands will be affected by the traffic chaos that will ripple out all over the city.

surely enough is enough. it's time for the government to stop these people affecting ordinary people's lives.

if they want to protest then they should do it somewhere else.

i dont think the british government would allow a mass demonstration like this in piccadily circus or the us goverment in times square, new york.

it's time for the police to take a stand in the interest of the non-protesters

Edited by leftcross

The machines of Government of, for instance Virginia, US, have deemed that 'Property Rights Activists' are qualified as being 'Domestic Terrorists'. On a global scale, they are legally in line with groups as: Hamas, Al-Qaeda and Islamic Jihad.

Presumably, tourists, journalists, hikers, bird-watchers, scuba divers, artists, painters, and anyone who takes a photograph is also now a terrorists according to the official list of terrorist paraphernalia provided.

- sketch pads or notebooks

- maps or charts

- still or video camera

- hand held tape recorder

- binoculars

- SCUBA equipment

- disguises

It is all relative, for one to perspective.

regards.

If it needs an 'independent review' the greater probability is that there were no taxes to be paid.

Difficult to say, but since no independent reviews have been allowed, it was probably for a good reason - there are things and taxes to hide.

Thailand has a constitution and laws aimed at reducing corruption. If corruption could be proved they would already have charged him. Thaksin does have a layer of Teflon BUT he has deflected the shit legally.

Not many people believe legality of this shit deflection. Not with Thanong Bidaya being the Finance Minister and SEC Chairman, and Thaksin's oldest buddy at the same time.

According to polls only about 10% of population are satisfied wtih legal explanations against 60% who want a legal review.

>>>>>>>

I might go to Siam Paragon today, or at least tomorrow and have a close look at the rally and the protesters.

The whole point of picketing and blocking roads and causing inconvenience to the public is to attract public attention to the issues. Most people understand that as soon as Thaksin resigns life will return to normal, and that as long as he stays protests will only escalate.

Like that executive from Hermes distributors who agreed with closing his shops and said that the short term inconvenience will bring positive long term results when Thaksin finally resigns.

[quote name=

If he was smart he would have paid tax on selling sensitive assets to Singapore.

What tax does Thai law require paying on the sale of shares? As far as I am aware, there is no tax on capital gains from the sale of shares, only a withholding tax on dividends.

His sale may not have required payment of tax legally but it certainly infuriated many Thais who are pressed by The Inland Revenue Department to cough up every baht.

The leader is supposed to set a good example of ethical behaviour. If he had announced he was donating a third to charity, as Jamlong suggested, he would have defused a lot of the resentment.

People may have remarked how generous he was and what a fine example he was.

But no, he had to have the whole lot!- not smart, just greedy.

His sale may not have required payment of tax legally but it certainly infuriated many Thais who are pressed by The Inland Revenue Department to cough up every baht.

The leader is supposed to set a good example of ethical behaviour. If he had announced he was donating a third to charity, as Jamlong suggested, he would have defused a lot of the resentment.

People may have remarked how generous he was and what a fine example he was.

But no, he had to have the whole lot!- not smart, just greedy.

Paying taxes that don't even exist isn't ethical, it's stupid.

Despite how much the opposition complains, they in reality like the law that Thaksin supposedly took advantage of. They just got upset because they're jealous that he's rich.

Getting rid of capital gains tax was the correct thing to do for Thailand. It encourages foreign investment and helps companies grow.

There is no way these hypocrites would ever bring back the capital gains tax regardless of how much they complain that Thaksin got rid of it.

Edited by Thaible

Getting rid of capital gains tax was the correct thing to do for Thailand. It encourages foreign investment and helps companies grow.

There is no way these hypocrites would ever bring back the capital gains tax regardless of how much they complain that Thaksin got rid of it.

I believe the corporate gain tax was introduced in the early ninties, and has nothing to do with Thaksin, and there are no calls for abolishing this law either. What are you talking about? The arguments you so passionately fighting against do not exist.

I believe the corporate gain tax was introduced in the early ninties, and has nothing to do with Thaksin, and there are no calls for abolishing this law either. What are you talking about? The arguments you so passionately fighting against do not exist.

I said "capital" gains tax, not "corporate".

"Capital" gains refers to profit on the sale of securities or property while "corporate" refers to net income from a business activity.

Like that executive from Hermes distributors who agreed with closing his shops and said that the short term inconvenience will bring positive long term results when Thaksin finally resigns.

Actually, it is a SHE not a he, and the words might have possibly slipped out, but she is from the family that owns Kasikorn Bank as well as Wonmani.

To the rest of you....

If you are all so concerned about the protestors, perhaps you could ALSO complain about the mob that the PM has paid allegedly to drive into the city and camp out at Lumpini park; causing trafffic disruptions and problems in doing so to the people in THAT area, and also making 1/2 the park off bounds for running. And stinking the place up because there aren't enough toilets so people are bathing in the park itself (in an unrelated matter, I would like to thank AIS for setting up at least some systems of support, I am sure it is unrelated, but nevertheless there was AIS signage of the vehicles doing so...most generous of a corporate to do this for the rural poor).

Perhaps you could also ask why the PM used the police force to arrange road blocks back earlier in this campaign before much of the SHin stuff surfaced, to prevent people from driving into BKK on the days of protests - I recall it took me 5 hours on one trip to get from Aranyaprathet market to Bang Saen (normally a 2.5 hour trip) due to having to pass 5 road blocks set up deliberately to stop any protestors from being able to reach the city.

There is not just one force grinding things to a halt around here.

While waiting for news from Siam Paragon, got this in:

The Center for Disease Control has issued a warning

about a new virulent strain of Sexually Transmitted

Disease. The disease is contracted through dangerous

and high-risk behavior. The disease is called

Gonorrhea Lectim and pronounced "gonna re-elect him."

Many victims contracted it, after having been

screwed in the past years..

Cognitive characteristics of individuals infected

include: anti-social personality disorders, delusions

of grandeur with messianic overtones, extreme

cognitive dissonance, inability to incorporate new

information, pronounced xenophobia and paranoia,

inability to accept responsibility for own actions,

cowardice masked by misplaced bravado, uncontrolled

facial smirking, ignorance of geography and history,

categorical all-or-nothing behavior.

Naturalists and epidemiologists are amazed at how this

destructive disease originated only a few years ago

from a toxin found in the hills around Chiang Mai.

The Irony is that many of the demonstrators are middle class malcontents, who would ordinarily shop at places like this!

They are sore because Thaksin wrong footed them by calling an election while

they were busy marching up and down in Bangkok instead of preparing for the election

Thaksin has done nothing wrong politically. He was being critisized so he called an election and he is going to win it. Most Thais care about the 30B health scheme, social housing, OTOP, million baht per tambon etc etc and couldnt give a stuff about whether his family pay tax or that he has illusions of grandeur. these demonstrators must be wealthy or they couldnt afford to go out demonstrating for weeks on end. If they are the democrats they say they are,they should be taking the message out to people in the country backing the candidates of their choice.

One hopes that once Mr Thaksin has been re elected, they will respect the decision of the Thai people and go home.

One would expect peace after the election-results are known.

BTW, who is PAD's or the opposition's candidate, or did I miss something?

Boycott of an election or non-voting is really to miss a chance for change.

i think this is where the anti-thaksin clowns are going to lose a lot of the sympathy of normal thai people.

thailand must be the hub of clowns, if they are all clowns

businesses are having to be shut, people will lose wages and takings and hundreds of thousands will be affected by the traffic chaos that will ripple out all over the city.

yes there will be starvation, babys will not get their food, millions will die, due to this ralley :o

I think for many Thais it is word to stay 2 hours instead of 1 hour in the traffic jam, but get rid of Thaksin

surely enough is enough. it's time for the government to stop these people affecting ordinary people's lives.

if they want to protest then they should do it somewhere else.

they changed already the place :D

i dont think the british government would allow a mass demonstration like this in piccadily circus or the us goverment in times square, new york.

I guess that thats not really important, here in Thailand is neither the US nor the british gouverment in charge, and at the moment the protester do not intend to protest at the piccadily circus or times square. But a hint: Also Nord Korea or Mynmar would not allow such demonstrations

it's time for the police to take a stand in the interest of the non-protesters

what do you recommend, take the leaders and hang them in front of the paragon? Take the guns and shoot the mob? China has good experience with tanks, they are very efficient against peacefull demonstrations (additional advantage, afterwards you need less bodybags as you can fit 3-4 people in one.

I recommend you think what consequences your doing would have.....