Abhisit Firmly Rejects Govt's Bt2 Trillion Loans

webfact

Thaksin and his PT partners must be laughing their a.. off. They have taken (from the tax payer) and wasted a few hundred billion with the rice scheme and know the are going to get another 2.2 trillion... Unbelievable. But... what can we say, they won the elections...

IMO they are really trying to destroy this country.

I don't think they are trying to destroy the country. They are certainly robbing it blind and will continue to do so at every opportunity without any consideration for the consequences.

Should judgement day ever arrive, then enough will have been salted away offshore to facilitate absconding and buying citizenship of some other country with their investor class status. Bankers and politicians seem to enjoy freedoms and privelages the rest of us don't all over the world.

Do you think Khun T was proving a dry run of the "get rich, abscond as a criminal, but be feted by the world's governments"

He's got one fair point however - certainty of the funds.

eg. What would have happened with Suvarnabhumi if the funds had not been fully provided upfront? As soon as the coup occurred, all work would have stopped.

Considering the record of Govt stability in Thailand, it's important for large projects to be fully funded when international participation is needed/wanted.

Cheers

There is no evidence to suggest that funds for the Swampy construction would have been withheld by the coup-appointed government. In fact they would have had a better chance of looking into the corruption that was a substantial part of it. Overpriced scanners, one concessionaire to rip off travellers, car parking scams - to mention just a few of the scams associated with the airport.

There's nothing wrong with taking out a loan when you have a real project to be started. The 2.2tn approval is supposedly for all sorts of pie in the sky projects that no feasibility study has been made. At this stage they should be looking for loans for feasibility studies and detailed project planning which would come to a fraction of 2.2tn.

Just about 1 year ago the government enacted an emergency decree to obtain B350bn for flood mitigation projects. A tiny fraction has been spent and no major projects have yet been agreed. PTP's record of financial mismanagement (even leaving out corruption) is why anybody who pays tax and supports realistic development of the country - should be doing their best to prevent any more 'on the hoof' loans.

What you mean is that there is no evidence they would have stopped funds, except they did stop the funds for phase 2 and 3 construction which was due to commence in 2007.

Phase 2 finally started in 2012 - it took 5 years to get approval again, which is why it's overcrowded right now.

Thaksin and his PT partners must be laughing their a.. off. They have taken (from the tax payer) and wasted a few hundred billion with the rice scheme and know the are going to get another 2.2 trillion... Unbelievable. But... what can we say, they won the elections...

IMO they are really trying to destroy this country.

Why would they want to kill the goose, when it's still under their control, and capable of laying such Amply-Super-Richy-Golden Eggs ? laugh.png

If Abhisit were still Prime Minister, would he reject B2 trillion loan or would he be licking his chops?

I you had read the post you would have seen that Abhisit actually said

“It is unnecessary to issue a bill for the Bt2 trillion loans. The government will need only Bt300-400 billion per year (for infrastructure development) if it follows the normal budget allocation procedure”.

Edited by billd766

If Abhisit were still Prime Minister, would he reject B2 trillion loan or would he be licking his chops?

“It is unnecessary to issue a bill for the Bt2 trillion loans. The government will need only Bt300-400 billion per year (for infrastructure development) if it follows the normal budget allocation procedure”.

Fair enough, but did he apply the same "normal budget allocation procedure" when he borrowed 1.43 Billion US Dollars for his own Infrastructure kickstarter in 2009/2010? You should be able to guess the answer - the word hypocrisy comes to mind.

• Like 1

Fair enough, but did he apply the same "normal budget allocation procedure" when he borrowed 1.43 Billion US Dollars for his own Infrastructure kickstarter in 2009/2010? You should be able to guess the answer - the word hypocrisy comes to mind.

Nope.

The words 'off topic' come to mind. Abhisit, army etc, etc

Try as you might, you can't defend this Government by referring to another event which bears no resemblance to the PTP activities.

They both cost money. There the similarity ends.

Nope.

The words 'off topic' come to mind. Abhisit, army etc, etc

Try as you might, you can't defend this Government by referring to another event which bears no resemblance to the PTP activities.

They both cost money. There the similarity ends.

If an argument doesn't go the way the poster wants it to is it common practice to use the "off topic" argument?

I can defend the government when comparing two Infrastructure boosting loans taken out by two successive governments using the same economic approach of borrowing the money up front. Except in this case the former PM has forgotten that that is the way he funded his infrastructure projects whilst lambasting the present government for doing exactly the same thing in exactly the same way. That, in my world is called Hypocrisy

Edited by gobi
  • Like 1

If an argument doesn't go the way the poster wants it to is it common practice to use the "off topic" argument?

I can defend the government when comparing two Infrastructure boosting loans taken out by two successive governments using the same economic approach of borrowing the money up front. Except in this case the former PM has forgotten that that is the way he funded his infrastructure projects whilst lambasting the present government for doing exactly the same thing in exactly the same way. That, in my world is called Hypocrisy

No kidding, Abhisit also borrowed 2 Trillion Baht without providing any details shock1.gif

• Like 1

This bunch of Charlies will bring Thailand to it's knees and then start throwing human blood all over the place to try and fix it......

Thaksins revenge for lost face

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

No kidding, Abhisit also borrowed 2 Trillion Baht without providing any details Posted Image

Unfortunately, Abhisit didn't have the luxury of being able to run rough-shod over everybody. He was accountable to parliament, something which this Government has chosen not to be.

As Red posters point out, 'what is the point of discussing things in parliament, as the government will win anyway due to their majority'. It's called DEMOCRACY. that's where everybody's voice is equal. Choosing to ignore people who are not part of the Khun T fan club is called DICTATORSHIP.

A right-to-vote is not the equivalent of democracy. It's how a Government conducts itself that shows if they are democratic or not.

• Like 1

No kidding, Abhisit also borrowed 2 Trillion Baht without providing any details shock1.gif

Unfortunately, Abhisit didn't have the luxury of being able to run rough-shod over everybody. He was accountable to parliament, something which this Government has chosen not to be.

As Red posters point out, 'what is the point of discussing things in parliament, as the government will win anyway due to their majority'. It's called DEMOCRACY. that's where everybody's voice is equal. Choosing to ignore people who are not part of the Khun T fan club is called DICTATORSHIP.

A right-to-vote is not the equivalent of democracy. It's how a Government conducts itself that shows if they are democratic or not.

True words spoken.thumbsup.gif

I agree with you that what the PTP are doing seems all wrong, but rightly or wrongly they were provided the mandate of a general election. Whereas it would be nice to be able to turn the clock back or put a benevolent neutral party in power we all know this is not possible. (the army are not benevolent at the very least)

I like Abhisit and Korn, as do a lot of people, and generally in comparison to the current or previous Governments are relatively free personally of any corrupt practices. (I think)

If there was a way to change the Government which would benefit the people, whatever it may be I would say now would be a good time to do it. Unfortunately in Thailand it seems there is none of these- so the only way forward is persevering with what was elected. Obviously some PTP supporters will disagree, but as someone who leans that way, as much as they have large faults within their party and their policies, in my opinion the best thing for the country is to let it go its distance. After which if all the doom mongers are to be believed the country will be on its knees and it will be a matter of 'anyone' but the PTP. I dont like the Democrat party as I feel in terms of the negatives of corruption etc, they are very similar to the current Govt and have had decades to do something about it, but if some of the younger persons could take a lead (without the old baggage) in good policies, i sincerely hope they could be acceptable to the Thai people.

I wanted to reply to your post but got sidetracked. apologies.

I agree with you that what the PTP are doing seems all wrong, but rightly or wrongly they were provided the mandate of a general election.

The Pheu Thai party got a mandate to be the first to try to form a government. A government to rule the country for all Thai, not to ruin the country.

• Like 1

I agree with you that what the PTP are doing seems all wrong, but rightly or wrongly they were provided the mandate of a general election.

The Pheu Thai party got a mandate to be the first to try to form a government. A government to rule the country for all Thai, not to ruin the country.

haha- put your toys back in your pram.

Could be be so kind as to explain your reply to my post? Thank you wai.gif

Reply to what, you did not ask a question. Oh I see that the Govt is ruining the country. Fair enough, let the next election decide.

Rubl, be honest and pronounce those two words Rule and Ruin once again. Using a slightly Thenglish dialect, no Thai would ever hear the difference biggrin.png

Sorry, but there is a difference between governing and ruling. That might be what ptp might not understand.

• Like 1

Could be be so kind as to explain your reply to my post? Thank you Posted Image

Reply to what, you did not ask a question. Oh I see that the Govt is ruining the country. Fair enough, let the next election decide.

This is where we have the problem. Khun T has devised the perfect way to slew election results in his favour.

Unfortunately all it's doing is giving him the opportunity to perpetuate the problems.

I'm not sure where all this will end. Elections don't seem to provide answers, as all they mean, in this democracy, is a chance to ruin Thailand and continue discontent. Perhaps we need a happiness bill to accompany the Reconciliation bill.

I wonder what the politics of thailand will be like post-Thaksin.

This is where we have the problem. Khun T has devised the perfect way to slew election results in his favour.

Unfortunately all it's doing is giving him the opportunity to perpetuate the problems.

I'm not sure where all this will end. Elections don't seem to provide answers, as all they mean, in this democracy, is a chance to ruin Thailand and continue discontent. Perhaps we need a happiness bill to accompany the Reconciliation bill.

How do you fix a failed democracy? A Thai version of an Arab spring will end in civil war, a coup will perpetuate and elevate the cult of Thaksin and a continuation of the status quo will just suck all the "quality of life" out of Thailand.

Edited by waza

Could be be so kind as to explain your reply to my post? Thank you Posted Image

How do you fix a failed democracy? A Thai version of an Arab spring will end in civil war, a coup will perpetuate and elevate the cult of Thaksin and a continuation of the status quo will just suck all the "quality of life" out of Thailand.

Needs a will to achieve it.

The ignorance of the electorate means that democratic realities (assuming they even know what they are), coupled with apathy, means that only a major clean-slate will give Thailand a chance.

Changing the subject and going way off topic, I wonder how long a former PM, fugitive criminal has for this world.