1997 Vw Passat Help Needed Before Purchase

Tubby

Just been to look at a car. the price is 107.000 its a VW passat 2.3GL with LPG

Took it for a drive and was very solid, still has a strong engine and the bodywork and interior is pretty clean. I've always had a VW or audi in the UK. I want to buy the Passat, but want to know if its going to be a real ball ache to fix and find parts for. Any one here with a VW that could share their experience. It it a no, no car in Thailand? They do sell cheaper than the Asian cars, and this is why I thought Id get some advice here first.

The second issue is the guy who is selling the car (an american) says he will go to the office on Monday with me, where we will make the transfer of documents and put the car in my name, but the car is not in his name, he says its in a Chinese mans name but there will be no problem with the documents. he says he has had the car for over 12 months so Im wondering why he didnt transfer the documents to his own name. Is this a common thing?

Ive done a lot of research and know what is required document wise, so If he has all the paperwork including the registrants ID card etc,do you think its a safe deal or am I asking for trouble.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Tubby

Leave it!

Not worth the trouble for a 16 year old volkswagen.

This is not vw country.

Car not in his name?

He can not sell!

The more I think about it the more I advise you to just forget it!

Edited by hansnl

Dunno if it's help but there's a couple or so Thailand posts here:-

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/53-asia/

As for getting the book sorted etc at the DLT your know when you go to do it, don't hand any cash over until you do, and take a Thai friend/wife/partner too whatever it will help no end.

Thanks for the reply, I will def take a Thai with me. My wife is English, so will need to take a friend. Not a great deal on VW, im getting a gut feeling to leave this one alone.

Leave it!

This is not vw country.

Car not in his name?

He can not sell!

I thought as much, oh well will keep looking. thanks

• Like 1

Leave it!

This is not vw country.

Car not in his name?

He can not sell!

I thought as much, oh well will keep looking. thanks

None of that's true but sounds like you've already made up your mind and got support for it too, so no need to give an opposing opinion..The price is quite reasonable though, hard to tell without any real pics or physically seeing the vehicle though and the fact that it was not transferred may be dodgy or there may be plenty of other legitimate reasons, like he got it at a good price and decided to sell after a few months and didn't want to be bothered with the transfer, none of that would scare me away off of a few opinions from complete strangers on an internet forum..

JFYI I've sold 2 cars in the past that were never transferred into our names, one after a few months and the other was over a year old and I was refurbishing it..It actually is common practice there especially with second hand dealers and tents..

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/645051-vw-passat-lpg-auto-abs-crystal-eyes/

'Upgrades: The Headlights and tail lights have been upgraded to crystal eyes like the newer model passat as seen in the picture.'

If this is his ad which was added yesterday, he has not even placed pictures of the car itself but instead a 'newer model passat as seen in the picture'.

My advice: 'walk on' as the drinks ad says.

Edited by tango

'Upgrades: The Headlights and tail lights have been upgraded to crystal eyes like the newer model passat as seen in the picture.'

If this is his ad which was added yesterday, he has not even placed pictures of the car itself but instead a 'newer model passat as seen in the picture'.

Not unusual in Thailandwhistling.gif .

OP has already seen and driven the car he probably knows if that is the car or not? That is an entire set of pics and an LPG car, it is possible it was misprint? I'd buy this car if it is the one he saw and it appears to be in good condition. What might give me pause is the pending sale just days after it was "professionally serviced" as the possibility of requiring a service and then finding out something more serious is pending is a distinct possibility.

JFYI That is the same model style for the year though it is not a newer model which leads me to believe it is a misprint.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

Not unusual in Thailandwhistling.gif .

Going on from this post have noticed all new ads on TALADROD have the vehicle registration in them, at least now the Hubby/Wife/Friend will now be more aware thier vehicle is for sale laugh.png .

I read it as:

"Upgrades: The Headlights and tail lights have been upgraded to crystal eyes (like the newer model passat) as seen in the picture.'"

I think the pictures are in fact of the sellers car, but have not enough knowledge of cars to see whether the car in the pictures are a 97 model or a newer model.

Sophon

• Like 1

I don't agree with many posters except " warbys " point of view the fact is he has driven the car and thought it to be OK.

He will soon find out at the DLT whether the sale will go ahead.

• Like 2

I don't agree with many posters except " warbys " point of view the fact is he has driven the car and thought it to be OK.

He will soon find out at the DLT whether the sale will go ahead.

Yep, if the OP is otherwise happy with the car, all they need to do is hold off paying anything until they have a blue book (tabien rot) in their name. Get that and you're good to go.

• Like 2

A few points:

- It's probably on LPG because the fuel pump failed. This won't be an issue unless you plan to get it to run on Petrol too (useful if you run out of LPG). Check this by running the car on petrol.

- When things go wrong it will be extremely expensive to fix properly, fixing it with used parts is a cheap and common solution but slow and unreliable (expect it to break again within 12 months).

- Not transferring the name to a farang is common for when the farang is not legally entitled to own a car. He should still have the registration booklet and a blank, signed sales contract. Keep in mind he may not have maintained the registration fees - if so you will need to back pay the registration fees in order to transfer it to your name - or you can simply get the registration booklet and a blank, signed sales contract to continue as he's doing. Beware that while if you get caught doing this the police will usually forgive you as it's such an old car, if you're not nice to them expect to be hit by a 500 baht fine.

^This might be a hook, I understand the Chinese guy was the first seller not the current so those papers do need to be in order as you state.. Likely he had a visa though to be honest.. I certainly hope the current owner didn't purchase without the proper papers in order at least..

-Wprime that's a good point about the fuel pump and is another consideration especially given my previous post regarding it recently being in service, but VW's are not THAT much more expensive to own even less so these days with them making a come back, that's just not true at least in the city, I owned several VW's or related VW products while I was there and if we could afford it anyone could.. More to the point the only Toyota I owned cost me 14,000b just for a new carburetor alone, no labor as I installed it myself, just the carb alone, admittedly it was a classic but still many parts for that car were expensive..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I'd also like to include that if all the paper work is in order and the car otherwise seems in good shape that price is good enough for the package listed to take a chance on repairing a failed fuel pump, it is not at all prohibitively expensive for the package described and pictured.

OP one other thought does hit me. Check thoroughly for flood damage, check underneath fenders for water lines, in the trunk lift the carpeting and look for rusty welds etc. especially under the dash where they aren't waterproofed, water marks in light lenses, around engine supports and in hard to clean places take a good smell of the interior for mustiness, though this far on that may not be as big an issue unless mold is growing, check the bottom of the door sills and panels to see if adhesive is breaking loose or the panel is warped. The price on this car is veery reasonable, almost too reasonable, I don't want to be alarmist after my previous advice but want you to cover all bases.

Edited by WarpSpeed

The new head and tail lamps maybe because the water marks were highly visible. If there's a garbage smell or a toilet freshener smell in the boot I'd be concerned.

I'm in the market for a cheap car myself.<br /><br />Inspite of the high prices, it looks like it's a buyer's market, I mean that even good deals stay up for sale for relatively long times.

I'm in the market for a cheap car myself.<br /><br />Inspite of the high prices, it looks like it's a buyer's market, I mean that even good deals stay up for sale for relatively long times.

Yes amazing how some cars stay For Sale for years.......... back in June 2008 looked at a Volvo at a Tent, was tempted 9 years old very good price but over 300,000 km, drive by from time to time as of last week [last time I drove that way] was still there For Sale at same price !! My own D-Max was 3 years old changed as normal for new one has been sat a Dealers For Sale for past 19 months..

Back to topic of the Passat, it is just me but never like that model, + the 2.3 love to drink a lot, the new 'Highline' came out here around 1998, see them For Sale from 125,000 baht, even 2001 and 2002 models have seen for 170 -190,000 baht.. ABS, 4 Airbags, Climate Control Air, Leather etc etc, to me looks a nicer car.. better ? no idea

It is a nicer looking car but under powered IMO. Too big for the engine and most have been beaten because of that.

On the buyers market, it's buyer beware only a little over a year out of a massive, nationwide flooding has added a glut of cars to the second hand market, thus price drops and still longer time to sell, those cars are still coming out of the pipeline and for years to come.

It is a nicer looking car but under powered IMO. Too big for the engine and most have been beaten because of that.

On the buyers market, it's buyer beware only a little over a year out of a massive, nationwide flooding has added a glut of cars to the second hand market, thus price drops and still longer time to sell, those cars are still coming out of the pipeline and for years to come.

No problem with the standard 2.3 liter engine on the Passat.

What do you mean 'most have been beaten'? A race?

If you know much about cars, can you tell me what causes small clunk noises from the front wheeels when steering strong?

Is that a big problem or will some grease and a new cardan covers resolve it?

can you tell me what causes small clunk noises from the front wheeels when steering strong?

I am NOT a mechanic just a DIY..

1st thing I would do is jack up the wheel, catch hold of each side and see it there is any play then hold top and bottom of wheel and do same,, if clonk or play = ball joints, easy fix, possibility could be play in the steering rake, depends what car ? could be expensive.. [little bit of play in my Audi A6 replacement 70,000 baht !!] Check power steering if you have, leak or low on fluid.

As I say I just fiddle about myself and not a mechanic

Well, I expect it will be a buyers market pretty soon for slightly used Ferraris, Lambos etc. Not so sure about it being a buyers market in a ~100K Baht price range though.

;)

can you tell me what causes small clunk noises from the front wheeels when steering strong?

1st thing I would do is jack up the wheel, catch hold of each side and see it there is any play then hold top and bottom of wheel and do same,, if clonk or play = ball joints, easy fix, possibility could be play in the steering rake, depends what car ? could be expensive.. [little bit of play in my Audi A6 replacement 70,000 baht !!] Check power steering if you have, leak or low on fluid.

The clunk comes when rolling with the wheels turned, not when turning the wheels.

Ball joints = cardan joints, correct?

Me old school, do things the way my father and Grandfather did..

So get a long thin stick, I use a length of dowel... put one end on steering box the other in your ear, get someone to turn wheel to FULL lock if the cluck is in you ear then expect it is steering box.........

Stick works well have done this many times on each cylinder of a car engine can hear if there is play or slap inside, walked away from a few cars over the years

As for Ball joints = cardan joints, correct? NO, Cardan Joint is the Universal joint on a drive shaft..

Ball joints are steering joints

post-42643-0-64185200-1370847379_thumb.j

As you say but don't think the rake or the rack.biggrin.png

If it's a front wheel drive car if it's not loose wheels biggrin.png or bearings it's usually the drive shafts.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

So get a long thin stick, I use a length of dowel... put one end on steering box the other in your ear, get someone to turn wheel to FULL lock if the cluck is in you ear then expect it is steering box.........

Stick works well have done this many times on each cylinder of a car engine can hear if there is play or slap inside, walked away from a few cars over the years

As for Ball joints = cardan joints, correct? NO, Cardan Joint is the Universal joint on a drive shaft..

attachicon.gifBall Joint.jpg

Thanks for the explanation, I'm neither a mechanic nor a DIY!

Great help.

Kwasaki, indeed front wheel drive.

attachicon.gifBall Joint.jpg

Thanks for the explanation, I'm neither a mechanic nor a DIY!

Great help.

Kwasaki, indeed front wheel drive.

It's a common thing with a front wheel driven vehicles in a moving hard steer lock, not a big worry much but will get progressively worse until renewed.