Ordering Vitamins Online - Recommendations?

Green

You should keep an open mind, I have met quite a few of those little people in person, believe it or not they are real

A symptom of heavy drinking...or light thinking?

Actually despite my denial of vitamins' benefit for most people heavy drinking is a reason to take the Bs.

I myself used to get peripheral neuropathy from alcoholic B reduction.

You may have seen the worst skid row alcoholics shuffling or even not ambulatory. That's from having very advanced PN up right through the foot. Happily mine only got into the toes but at 1mm a month neural regeneration even that took time to go away.

Don't go there.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

You should keep an open mind, I have met quite a few of those little people in person, believe it or not they are real

A symptom of heavy drinking...or light thinking?

Actually despite my denial of vitamins' benefit for most people heavy drinking is a reason to take the Bs.

I myself used to get peripheral neuropathy from alcoholic B reduction.

You may have seen the worst skid row alcoholics shuffling or even not ambulatory. That's from having very advanced PN up right through the foot. Happily mine only got into the toes but at 1mm a month neural regeneration even that took time to go away.

Don't go there.

the solution is to stop the CAUSE of the deficiency....any vitamins you take whilst still drinking heavily will follow the fate of the originals. Vitamin B treatment is not proved as effective, normally one treats the symptoms first.

Edited by wilcopops

My recommendation is DON"T BOTHER.

If you have a normal balanced diet, you don't need extra vitamins. Taking a surfeit of some vitamins can be dangerous too.

Your a nutritionist? and know this for sure?

Who knows if your right or wrong, I know I feel a lot healthier when I take a VitC supplement than when I don't, also Krill Oil for my Omega 3's that I know I wont get from Thai fish. Iron can be deficient in a lot of people. and need a supplement

I am a heavy drinker and moderate smoker (cigars) both destroy vitamins in your body that IMHO need replacing more than with just food alone, specially Thai vegetables containing who knows what pesticides

The thing is multivitamins don't work

Infact, people taking multivitamins have a shorter life expectancy.

Stop wasting your money, you are paying to have a shorter life.

Since the subject has turned to multi-vit. I agree do not take them and I am a vit. taker but only single vitamins taken thru out the day and being very careful what I take together. Typically in a multi the dosage will not be enough to get the desired affect and higher dosages are needed especially in us older population as the digestive system isn't what it use to be. that also includes the absorbtion of all those fresh vegetables and fruits one has to eat. I always love that line eat more fresh food, my question is how fresh is it, what is the quality of the soil it was raised in, what crap has been sprayed on it to make it look fresh, and to kill the bugs and the bacteria.

Everyone here is entitled to their opinion but please if you are going to knock someone else for what they put into their bodies at least understand why they prefer an alterative to good health, it has worked for me over 40 years and I am very healthy having no side affects from high dosage vitamin treatment. I do believe the warnings are a bit of propaganda to frighten the uninformed.

If you have a normal balanced diet, you don't need extra vitamins. Taking a surfeit of some vitamins can be dangerous too.

Who knows if your right or wrong, I know I feel a lot healthier when I take a VitC supplement than when I don't, also Krill Oil for my Omega 3's that I know I wont get from Thai fish. Iron can be deficient in a lot of people. and need a supplement

I am a heavy drinker and moderate smoker (cigars) both destroy vitamins in your body that IMHO need replacing more than with just food alone, specially Thai vegetables containing who knows what pesticides

Can you give us a link to your statement, it is a bit over the top and would need a bit of substantiation

• Like 1

Whilst I'm not a vitamin taker and cited the "vitamins don't work" study, one must use facts carefully.

The shorter life may or may not be the result of vitamin taking.

For instance people may live shorter lives because they are

1 anxious personality type

2 feel poorly

Either of these may go with a shorter life.

These sub-sections may also take vitamins more than most.

Edited by cheeryble

Whilst I'm not a vitamin taker and cited the "vitamins don't work" study, one must use facts carefully.

2 feel poorly

I think you'll find that the people involved in testing vitamins have thought about and taken into account those sort of things.......i think you need to look uo on how medical test and trials etc are firstly carried out and then reviewed.

This is one of the reasons for liking trials with large numbers of participants as it lessens the chances of individual cases registering as major variations.

Meta- analyses are NOT the best way to observe a subject but they can be useful is getting an overview.

If you want to know how medical evidence is sought then I suggest you read "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre, it's the layman's bible.

Edited by wilcopops

Can you give us a link to your statement, it is a bit over the top and would need a bit of substantiation

The thing is people simply don't read up before forming opinions and if they do they don't seem to be able to distinguish between good scientific evidence and pseudo-scientific crap.

If you read up one the use of multi-vitamins you'll quickly find that a well carried out trial did return this result. now K. Kitsune has obviously seen this report and so have I.......where is it? well I could go through all my books, records etc to find you the reference, but really I think you should have done this already for yourself.

if you read the SCIENTIFIC literature or even the reporting of this literature by the responsible media, you'll soon become aware of what a scam the vitamins industry is.

PS - isn't it mentioned in the video????

BTW - BEFORE you start arguing that the whole thing is a conspiracy by Big Pharma, be aware that they own a sizeable chunk of the alternative and vitamins industries.

clubvits in uk is where I get mine from cheaper than here even with the postage. I don't care what anyone else says, I know I need B12 and other things help my arthritis.

Edited by sms747

2 feel poorly

I think you'll find that the people involved in testing vitamins have thought about and taken into account those sort of things.......i think you need to look uo on how medical test and trials etc are firstly carried out and then reviewed.

This is one of the reasons for liking trials with large numbers of participants as it lessens the chances of individual cases registering as major variations.

Meta- analyses are NOT the best way to observe a subject but they can be useful is getting an overview.

If you want to know how medical evidence is sought then I suggest you read "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre, it's the layman's bible.

Aware of Ben Goldacre he did a podcast for ??? and as I remember talked about publication bias as a problem helping big pharma.

Personally as a lover of rational analysis i think it should come in the school curriculum and I think schoolchildren should be beaten within an inch of their life if they can't describe ALL the biases.

How can we expect people to think properly without that?

Edited by cheeryble

clubvits in uk is where I get mine from cheaper than here even with the postage. I don't care what anyone else says, I know I need B12 and other things help my arthritis.

If you have RA try Litozen

http://www.vitaminsandmineralsuk.co.uk/MUSCLE-JOINT-CARE/LANES-LITOZEN-Rosehip-Extract-CAPSULES (not suggesting you should buy from here) You can get in Boots

I have personnel experience with three people including myself, that had 50% t0 80% relieve from RA from taking this

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

interesting thanks

As always it is important to ferret out the disclaimers on these sites !

Here is the one the posted link relating to "Litozen"

"Information provided on this website should not be construed as medical advice. We advise customers to consult a qualified medical practitioner for any medical advice."

The thing is people simply don't read up before forming opinions and if they do they don't seem to be able to distinguish between good scientific evidence and pseudo-scientific crap.

If you read up one the use of multi-vitamins you'll quickly find that a well carried out trial did return this result. now K. Kitsune has obviously seen this report and so have I.......where is it? well I could go through all my books, records etc to find you the reference, but really I think you should have done this already for yourself.

if you read the SCIENTIFIC literature or even the reporting of this literature by the responsible media, you'll soon become aware of what a scam the vitamins industry is.

BTW - BEFORE you start arguing that the whole thing is a conspiracy by Big Pharma, be aware that they own a sizeable chunk of the alternative and vitamins industries.

Fact is: If you don't eat enough vitamins you get problems. Say you don't like fruits and therefor you don't eat enough Vitamin C you get a lot problems (Wikipedia can help). If you pop in a multi-vitamin tablet every day you get 70-100 mg Vitamin C from it. And all the problems are fixed.

That is well established knowledge since decades....

Yes eating more fruits would also help, but if someone won't do it, tablets are the second best choice.

Fact is: If you don't eat enough vitamins you get problems. Say you don't like fruits and therefor you don't eat enough Vitamin C you get a lot problems (Wikipedia can help). If you pop in a multi-vitamin tablet every day you get 70-100 mg Vitamin C from it. And all the problems are fixed.

Yes eating more fruits would also help, but if someone won't do it, tablets are the second best choice.

Fact - vitamin C doesn't just come from fruit.

Fact? - this poster doesn't seem to understand how we become vitamin deficient or how we take in our vitamins and what "problems" are caused by deficiency and how they can be rectified.

"That is well established knowledge since decades...." - absolute nonsense (and so is the grammar).
Edited by wilcopops

Fact? - this poster doesn't seem to understand how we become vitamin deficient or how we take in our vitamins and what "problems" are caused by deficiency and how they can be rectified.

"That is well established knowledge since decades...." - absolute nonsense (and so is the grammar).

Yes you can also eat living animals, sure a relevant source for tigers. But for humans you more or less just fruits, vegetables, sausage and beer as source (in the later two it is used as antioxidants).

(Maybe a few irrelevant exceptions).

(one of the biggest problems for sailors in the past)

More/other problems happen when heavy drinking, smoking and/or dieting.

That leaves tablets, if you don't eat enough of them.

not much space for opinions....

Yes you can also eat living animals, sure a relevant source for tigers. But for humans you more or less just fruits, vegetables, sausage and beer as source (in the later two it is used as antioxidants).

H90 - it would appear you had absolutely no knowledge at all of the issues in question. Those who start using words like "antioxidants" in the same mouthful as vitamins clearly are non-starters on this subject.

your body is NOT a machine and if something is "good" for you it doesn't follow that "more is better".

For you information there is vit C even in chips.

Scurvy was not brought about by a lack of fruit, it was brought about by a lack of fresh food - a diet of ship's biscuit and picked meat for weeks on end. It seems that your thinking on this subject is on par with that back in 18th Century; When, like you, they knew absolutely nothing about vitamins what they do and how we use them.

if you think vitamins will protect you against damage caused by smoking or heavy drinking then think again - you are fooling your self and dangerously so.

H90 - it would appear you had absolutely no knowledge at all of the issues in question. Those who start using words like "antioxidants" in the same mouthful as vitamins clearly are non-starters on this subject.

your body is NOT a machine and if something is "good" for you it doesn't follow that "more is better".

Scurvy was not brought about by a lack of fruit, it was brought about by a lack of fresh food - a diet of ship's biscuit and picked meat for weeks on end. It seems that your thinking on this subject is on par with that back in 18th Century; When, like you, they knew absolutely nothing about vitamins what they do and how we use them.

if you think vitamins will protect you against damage caused by smoking or heavy drinking then think again - you are fooling your self and dangerously so.

I think I give it up, posting here.....Just a hint: Vitamin C and Vitamin E are the main antioxidants of the body. C in polar, E in unpolar media .....As well the low levels of Vitamins in smoker and heavy drinker are well known and tablets do fix this problem.....

-->I am removing myself from this "discussion"

I think I give it up, posting here.....Just a hint: Vitamin C and Vitamin E are the main antioxidants of the body. C in polar, E in unpolar media .....As well the low levels of Vitamins in smoker and heavy drinker are well known and tablets do fix this problem.....

I don't know why you brother in the first place - your understanding of vitamins is zero. As for antioxidants - for heaven sake - get some proper info before you do yourself some serious damage.

There is widespread scientific agreement that eating adequate amounts of fruits and vegetables can help lower the incidence of cardiovascular disease and certain cancers. With respect to antioxidants and other phytochemicals, the key question is whether supplementation has been proven to do more good than harm. So far, the answer is no, which is why the FDA will not permit any of these substances to be labeled or marketed with claims that they can prevent disease.

I don't know why you brother in the first place - your understanding of vitamins is zero. As for antioxidants - for heaven sake - get some proper info before you do yourself some serious damage.

There is widespread scientific agreement that eating adequate amounts of fruits and vegetables can help lower the incidence of cardiovascular disease and certain cancers. With respect to antioxidants and other phytochemicals, the key question is whether supplementation has been proven to do more good than harm. So far, the answer is no, which is why the FDA will not permit any of these substances to be labeled or marketed with claims that they can prevent disease.

As I told I stop posting here....educate yourself on the basics.....