Concrete Spec For Outside Living Area

One thing to look out for. Since the house was built first. Look to see where the plumbing exist the house and runs. Thais don't wrap the pipes and will pour concrete around them. If you put in a slap and the pipe runs from concrete of house into concrete of slab, the pipe will break, even with very little settling.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

David

I realized that I couldn't possibly tell them anything. So instead I asked what their engineer thought was needed and requested the specs and a quote.

Haven't heard back yet.

Any update?

Still waiting!
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

David

I realized that I couldn't possibly tell them anything. So instead I asked what their engineer thought was needed and requested the specs and a quote.

Haven't heard back yet.

Any update?

Steel reinforced 30 cm of concrete. No quote yet.

David

Haven't heard back yet.

Any update?

Steel reinforced 30 cm of concrete. No quote yet.

30 cm ... WOW ... that's like a foot thick!

I just poured a driveway and footpath back home and the footpath was 100mm thick and the driveway, 150 mm thick ... both with steel rero.

thanks for coming back with the answer.

Op, are you seriously letting the contractor pick your tiles? Have you seen what passes for attractive tiling in this country. Do yourself a massive favor and pick your own tiles.

As for your slab. 10 cm reinforced will work way beyond what you need it to do, unless your driving on it (and maybe even then depending on whats under it). The thicker you go the heaver it will get. Thicker will not reduce the speed that it settles, the opposite is true. Make sure you have expansion joints to allow the slab to crack on the seams, at least every 3 meters. Don't connect it to your house. if one moves and the other doesn't you will just get a destroyed slab.

I may sound cynic, but the only good concrete I have seen in Thailand is the concrete which was made when I stayed there and forced them to use half the water and sand they usually use + rejecting sand mixed with land.

This concrete is now hard like concrete...the other you can take parts out with a spoon.

Op, are you seriously letting the contractor pick your tiles? Have you seen what passes for attractive tiling in this country. Do yourself a massive favor and pick your own tiles.

As for your slab. 10 cm reinforced will work way beyond what you need it to do, unless your driving on it (and maybe even then depending on whats under it). The thicker you go the heaver it will get. Thicker will not reduce the speed that it settles, the opposite is true. Make sure you have expansion joints to allow the slab to crack on the seams, at least every 3 meters. Don't connect it to your house. if one moves and the other doesn't you will just get a destroyed slab.

I think there was a misunderstanding. I never said that anyone other than us would choose the tile. I was questioning why I had to choose before i returned to Thailand. To be honest I have since been looking at the Home Pro online site and believe if I had to I could choose.

I still find it difficult looking at the site trying to determine which tikes are non-slip. Are all exterior tiles non-slip?