Buying A Dinghy...what Are Requirements For Use If Any ?

corkythecat

Don't know if this is a suitable forum, but I am thinking to buy a small (say 6 metre) sailing dinghy and outboard, for local sailing from Bang Saray.

I can store and launch one OK from near my home.

Are there any licensing regulations and sailing licences necessary please.?

I sailed out of HK and had to pass a simple sailing test.

I rarely see any such craft soloing around here, except for the racing from the Ocean Marina..are there some "perils"?

Thank You

Edited by corkythecat

For a definitive answer, I'd go see the harbor master at Ocean Marina. He's a very nice guy and I know would be willing to help.

P.S. There's a club race this next weekend if you are interested in crewing.

For a definitive answer, I'd go see the harbor master at Ocean Marina. He's a very nice guy and I know would be willing to help.

Do old, fat, bald guys who sweat a lot qualify?

I'd love to join in if it's not too "serious". But if it's really competitive, they won't want me.

• Like 1

Do old, fat, bald guys who sweat a lot qualify?

I'd love to join in if it's not too "serious". But if it's really competitive, they won't want me.

Ha! Too funny. Yes, they are serious. Some very serious.

As crew, you're mainly playing ballast. Moving from one side of the boat to the other as the captain tacks. Which could be a lot of moving if he gets into a "battle" with another boat!

Some captains look for crew with a bit of experience to help tend the sails.

That's what I feared. I make excellent ballast, but that's the extent of my sailing skills.

Still, I ought to bop on over to Ocean Marina and see if there are other ways to get back out on the water without committing to an arm and a leg. I have a low threshold for investment in Thailand because I want to be able to liquidate quickly if my paycheck takes me elsewhere. I already own way too much stuff here.

rail meat.

Based only on that job description, I'd be perfect.

I'm skinny, but can scoot back and forth quite fast. At the least, it's a great day out on the water. Pattaya and surrounds look fantastic from out there.

Impulse: if you are down that way, stop by and see Scott the harbor master and see what he says. Or, PM me and I'll pass along his email address. He's a super guy.

The very harbour master who is also a fellow board member told me that anyone qualifies who can carry a crate of beer.

It's still on my to do list, the sailing it is, carrying a crate of beer I've done occasionally...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Although there may be rules regarding maritime traffic and such, I think the port authority is pretty lax in enforcing them, you'll probably get harassed more by the boys in brown for towing your boat to the ramp from you home.

There seems to be many military base beach and shipping channels around here, what's the best to get familiarised though? hanging around Oceans Marina and Varuna Yacht Club is a bit out of my price range.

I regularly sail Lasers and Hobie cats in a lake in Bangkok and would like to try out something bigger around here since I am in Pattaya more, but last time I enquired about joining these esteemed establishments I had quite shock.

@Corkythreat: Before you purchase a sailing-dinghy, drop me a PM. I've sailed small boats all my life and I would not have a problem with giving you a few pointers, okay ?

Also; I'been sailing Pattaya waters + for the past 21 years.

You can also drop me an e-mail at: <deleted>

Cheers,

Jaap

Edited by Phil Conners
email in post. Please use PM system.
  • Like 2

Although there may be rules regarding maritime traffic and such, I think the port authority is pretty lax in enforcing them, you'll probably get harassed more by the boys in brown for towing your boat to the ramp from you home.

There seems to be many military base beach and shipping channels around here, what's the best to get familiarised though? hanging around Oceans Marina and Varuna Yacht Club is a bit out of my price range.

I regularly sail Lasers and Hobie cats in a lake in Bangkok and would like to try out something bigger around here since I am in Pattaya more, but last time I enquired about joining these esteemed establishments I had quite shock.

"hanging around Oceans Marina and Varuna Yacht Club is a bit out of my price range. " - Well; I couldn't agree with you more ! Also; the real "spirit" of sailing is sporadic, in these places, to put it mildly.

However; there IS another, very little known place, which blew me away when I first 'stumbled' upon it. Located between Jomtien-yacht Club-3 (& View Talay Marina) and the Ambassador City Hotel, you will find a stunningly beautiful and well-kept secret named "Club Loongchat ", which is a large property, covered by Palm trees & bush, smack-bang on a beautiful beach, with a small Pro-Shop, Restaurant & Bar, but all in a very "primitive", cozy and "real" atmosphere ! ! ! The majority of people there (and it's never really over-crowded) are into wind & kite surfing, but there are also some small & medium sized Sailing-cats and even a few lasers, owned by real sailing enthusiasts !

Next time in Patt's, why not check it out ?

http://www.clubloongchat.com/06/index_en.htm

Cheers,

Jaap

That is a great place. I'm there pretty much every week hanging out with my friend who's into kite boarding. It truly a hidden gem. I've rented hobies from them several times. great fun.

The very harbour master who is also a fellow board member told me that anyone qualifies who can carry a crate of beer.

It's still on my to do list, the sailing it is, carrying a crate of beer I've done occasionally...

crate ?? don't see those too much

crate ?? don't see those too much

Kegs usually work too.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but on a related topic: my son is soon 9 and would like to learn sailing. I know Varuna has some weekend programs, went there last weekend, hard to find info. Can any of you give some pointer?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but on a related topic: my son is soon 9 and would like to learn sailing. I know Varuna has some weekend programs, went there last weekend, hard to find info. Can any of you give some pointer?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Visit: http://varuna.org/february-junior-sailing-courses/ and click on the link that shows the July schedule

• Like 1

From my balcony in View Talay 5D on the Pattaya side I watch the dinghy races every Sunday.

Every Sunday starting in the morning and lasting to the early afternoon 100's of the types of sailboats that you discussing have races.

That set out a course of buoys and they race around them.

They even have judges in little boats positioned by the buoys to make sure every boat makes it around each one.

• Like 1