Special Formula - Is It Available?

Jamie

My wife, daughter and I plan to visit family in September. My daughter has a cow's milk allergy and has to be on a special hypoallergenic formula (Similac Alimentum). She just turned a year old and the doctor told us to keep her on this for the time being. I'm just wondering if this formula is available in Thailand, or if we need to plan on buying multiple cans of it before our trip.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

My son had a similar issue & was on prescription formula. There was no where to buy it that we could find in 3 trips over a year, neither in BKK, KK or Samui. (different brand)

It may be available somewhere but do you want to spend your holiday hunting it down? We brought a few cans over with us, at over a year old the need for formula should be greatly diminished. Just make sure to pierce a hole in the foil first if packing it in the checked luggage, I didn't & 3 cans exploded all over our clothes!!!! Thankfully there was still enough salvaged but it made for a smelly & messy first day. The other option is to decant it into strong food bags, takes up less space that way too.

My son had a similar issue & was on prescription formula. There was no where to buy it that we could find in 3 trips over a year, neither in BKK, KK or Samui. (different brand)

It may be available somewhere but do you want to spend your holiday hunting it down? We brought a few cans over with us, at over a year old the need for formula should be greatly diminished. Just make sure to pierce a hole in the foil first if packing it in the checked luggage, I didn't & 3 cans exploded all over our clothes!!!! Thankfully there was still enough salvaged but it made for a smelly & messy first day. The other option is to decant it into strong food bags, takes up less space that way too.

Thanks Boo,

Yes, usually at a year old they recommend switching to regular cows milk or some sort of substitute. The general substitute is soy which we aren't too keen on switching to. The other alternatives are generally almond or coconut milk, both of which lack some key nutrients found in cows milk or formula. The pediatrician recommended we stay on the formula for the time being.

The plan is to get her in to an allergist, however it's about impossible to get an appointment short of 3 to 6 months out here.