British Passport For Thai Kids

I just received my Thai kids first UK passports (aged 8 and 10) - I applied via the embassy here and after a couple of visits they accepted the applications I paid the 10,000 baht fee and now 4 weeks later I got DHL with the passports back!

My question is is there any law requires them now as British Citizens, to have to spend any time in the UK? or is this status now for life?

I will send an email to the UK embassy but normally it takes them a while to reply so just posting here to see if anyone knows?

It is forever.

A citizen remains a citizen unless they choose to revoke it.

Thanks its what I thought - but a Danish friend of mine said in the case there his daughter had to spend xx months before they where 20 years old in order to remain a Danish citz.

Status is for live, but living in the UK could determine if they can pass their British nationality on to their own children.

I guess once your a British Citz. then pretty sure you can then pass it on to your kids (but maybe because thier birth cert. are Thai then yes would be harder)

Status is for live, but living in the UK could determine if they can pass their British nationality on to their own children.

I guess once your a British Citz. then pretty sure you can then pass it on to your kids (but maybe because thier birth cert. are Thai then yes would be harder)

There are limitations to prevent people living in former colonies keep passing on British nationality generation after generation while they have no ties with the UK.

If they have children that will be born in the UK, than no problem but if they have their children born in Thailand or another country it will not be automatically. But I'm no expert on this.

There are limitations to prevent people living in former colonies keep passing on British nationality generation after generation while they have no ties with the UK.

If they have children that will be born in the UK, than no problem but if they have their children born in Thailand or another country it will not be automatically. But I'm no expert on this.

thanks - well hopefully it will be awhile yet till I am a granddad!

Did you also register them as British citizens for that price? I haven't done it yet but i remember looking when my kids were born and they had 3 prices, 1 for register as British, 1 for get uk birth certificate and 1 for price of passport.

Does just getting them a passport make kids citizens or do you have to register them as citizens also?

Did you also register them as British citizens for that price? I haven't done it yet but i remember looking when my kids were born and they had 3 prices, 1 for register as British, 1 for get uk birth certificate and 1 for price of passport.

Does just getting them a passport make kids citizens or do you have to register them as citizens also?

the cost was 3,749 - first time Passport for child then two DHL charges ont BKK- HK at 666 and then UK-BKK at 485 so total was 4,900 THB I didn't do any other documents, and the passport came back np - I don't need a BC for them from UK nor did I in order to get them the passport so didn't ask for that,.....

the cost was 3,749 - first time Passport for child then two DHL charges ont BKK- HK at 666 and then UK-BKK at 485 so total was 4,900 THB I didn't do any other documents, and the passport came back np - I don't need a BC for them from UK nor did I in order to get them the passport so didn't ask for that,.....

Nice, so do you know what status that gives them in the uk?

Nice, so do you know what status that gives them in the uk?

well the passports are same UK ones as mine and there it is written as British Citz. so same status as another British Citz :)

Their kids (children of British citizens by descent) will be automatically British only if born in the UK in which case they will be British other than by descent. If born overseas, they can still be registered as British if the British by descent parent can prove they lived full time in the UK for at least 3 years before their children were born overseas. In this case there is registration fee that is about 700 sterling and they will be British by descent.

If your British otherwise than by descent parent was in Crown service overseas (British military, embassy etc) at the time of your birth overseas then you count as British otherwise than by descent, if you can prove this status, e.g. with a British army birth certificate.

This distinction has always existed in British Nationality law but what changed in the 1981 Nationality Act was that those born in the UK to alien parents were no longer automatically entitled to British citizenship (as Abhisit was) and that the rule about being in Crown service overseas was narrowed down to exclude working for British colonial governments. That is why there are cases of people born to long lines of Indian Civil Service wallahs who have found themselves struggling to assert their claim to British nationality, even though they were as British as you can get. One of my relatives was born in India as was his father who was governor of Madras or somewhere. When the Act came in he had to fight to defend his job as well as his nationality because he was a British ambassador!

Edited by Arkady

Their kids (children of British citizens by descent) will be automatically British only if born in the UK. If born overseas, they can still be registered as British if the British by descent parent can prove they lived full time in the UK for at least 3 years before their children were born overseas. In this case there is registration fee that is about 700 sterling.

If your British otherwise than by descent parent was in Crown service overseas (British military, embassy etc) at the time of your birth overseas then you count as British otherwise than by descent, if you can prove this status, e.g. with a British army birth certificate.

so for my kids seems clear they just need to be living in UK when they have kids, if they wanna their kids to have BC :)