Just About To Buy A New Honda Cb500F. A Few Questions.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the first service price depends if you go for synthetic oil or the regular stuff....

Synthetic oil after 1k km is not really recommended

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

but many people are using it.....

More fool them! After 2-3 k OK. I noticed on my Cbr250 it took about that long for everything to bed in.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed my first 1000 km so taking in the bike for its first service tomorrow.

The plan is to use semi synthetic and change the oil filter.

Its been a absolute ball. Flying up to Pai and back in a day, been up the Doi Suthep road a good few times because I love that road and starting to feel more at home on her. Im not yet confident on my cornering but its coming slowly and im not forcing anything. Last night, feeling wired after a late coffee, I took her out at 2am and just cruised around in the cool evening air - really is a joy.

The only thing id say, and I can hear the judgments already, is Im not into the full face helmets and jackets, boots etc so do not wear them. Yes I am aware what might happen. It just feels like sex with a condom, wonderful in the sense it might just save your life but <deleted> how it kills the joy for me. So ive done away with them and since that moment enjoyed myself far more and feel freer. Come night time, when the temperature drops, then I will bung the jacket on.

So semi synthetic oil the call for the first oil change ? Wont do any harm at least right ?

Just completed my first 1000 km so taking in the bike for its first service tomorrow.

The plan is to use semi synthetic and change the oil filter.

Its been a absolute ball. Flying up to Pai and back in a day, been up the Doi Suthep road a good few times because I love that road and starting to feel more at home on her. Im not yet confident on my cornering but its coming slowly and im not forcing anything. Last night, feeling wired after a late coffee, I took her out at 2am and just cruised around in the cool evening air - really is a joy.

The only thing id say, and I can hear the judgments already, is Im not into the full face helmets and jackets, boots etc so do not wear them. Yes I am aware what might happen. It just feels like sex with a condom, wonderful in the sense it might just save your life but <deleted> how it kills the joy for me. So ive done away with them and since that moment enjoyed myself far more and feel freer. Come night time, when the temperature drops, then I will bung the jacket on.

So semi synthetic oil the call for the first oil change ? Wont do any harm at least right ?

It takes a little while to get used to wearing a full face and all the gear but its well worth it. As you'll find out if you ever come off it in shorts and a tshirt. Popping down the 711 is probably ok or even slowly around town, but anything more than that, wear protection.
  • Like 1

been up the Doi Suthep road a good few times because I love that road and starting to feel more at home on her. Im not yet confident on my cornering but its coming slowly and im not forcing anything.

The only thing id say, and I can hear the judgments already, is Im not into the full face helmets and jackets, boots etc so do not wear them. Yes I am aware what might happen. It just feels like sex with a condom,

Yes Doi Suthep is a fun road but be careful there as it may seem fine with two lanes going up many times you might be cooking a turn if the fast/right lane up to find while exiting the turn a tour bus is in your lane coming at you.

It is quite dangerous overall due to the tour buses & Lor See Dangs

A much better road with just as good turns much a safer longer loop is Samoeng Loop

It is my go-to ride

If you like Doi Suthep You will love it I guarantee

http://www.gt-rider.com/tour-options/chiang-mai-thailand/touring-loops-day-rides/the-samoeng-loop

As for the whole riding free thing...hey your an adult & on a scooter I sometimes do short trips in a baseball cap to the store.

But unlike sex without a condom... If you should have a slip on the sport bike...

it will not feel good dragging your pecker across asphalt at 100 kph laugh.png

Best thing you can do is find gear your comfy with & use it but up2you as they say here wink.png

Take Care & glad to hear you enjoying the new bike

Edited by mania

post-64391-0-97634600-1372417308_thumb.j

Just went up to Doi Inthanon this morning with my mate. Oh the utter joy of those roads. I cant believe how much I enjoyed it ! Really starting to feel much more confident on cornering now. Not over confident though. Stuck a picture up, my mates bike is in the background.

So after the trip I went to take the bike to get serviced and asked for a filter change and semi synthetic oil. He said I have to use 100% synthetic or normal oil as per the agreement of the warranty !

It cant get done until Tuesday anyhow so I have time.

Which one should I choose ?

Cheers

Edited by marcusmarsh

I have no clue as to what to use mania - hence asking. Id happily use regular oil. Just want opinions which is better is all. Id read that semi synthetic is the call but as im not allowed to use that under warranty guidelines I thought Id put it to the masses to see which other to use.

Cheers for your answer.

I have no clue as to what to use mania - hence asking. Id happily use regular oil. Just want opinions which is better is all. Id read that semi synthetic is the call but as im not allowed to use that under warranty guidelines I thought Id put it to the masses to see which other to use.

Cheers for your answer.

Sorry was just curious if you had a reason to switch.

If not popular thinking is let the bike get a good break in before switching to synthetic.

Roughly 2500 kilometers

Many believe while it has higher lubrication ability it also stops the break in process.

Whether or not the process is done with all seating etc.

So if your not in a rush stick with regular & save some $$$ too wink.png

PS: here is an older but one of the original sites that explained their view

( which I agree with for the most part )

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

3 more words on break- in:

NO SYNTHETIC OIL !!

Use Valvoline, Halvoline, or similar 10 w 40 Petroleum Car Oil for at least

2 full days of hard racing or 1,500 miles of street riding / driving.

After that use your favorite brand of oil.

Edited by mania

What do you guys wear for protective jackets/trousers being Thailand is so hot ?

Leather jacket or far too hot for that ? I must admit to liking the look of the leather jackets but do not want to be scorching hot sweating my nuts off.

I wear Tour Master mesh jacket, Joe Rocket mesh pants both bought in the states last year. Yes they are hot while waiting for a light but you are foolish not to wear protection while riding. I also have a HJC full face helmet with flip up chin guard. The helmet now has a big scrape were my forehead would have been, the jacket has a 1in. diameter hole in the shoulder with frayed arms and legs on the pants. I also wear leather gloves while riding there is now a hole in the back of the glove but the back of my hand is in perfect shape. All of this gear is ok while moving not to hot especially up north around CM. Just saw your post about being free and all of that but what I have found is that a full face helmet at 100k is much more comfortable than all of that air in my face and eyes. Iwas hit very hard on my last trip by a few flying things that would have really hurt if not for the helmet. Enjoy your ride and be safe.

Edited by moe666

Im learning as I go.

After riding to Doi Inthanon today I agree about a full face helmet on longer faster speed trips. The open face helmet was a issue as I reached the peak what with rain and wind.

I will stick to a open face around town and on my nightly 45 minute jaunts along the open roads though. I will also stick to just wearing a t-shirt during the day on around town riding and even sandals as I wouldnt entertain jacket and boots during the day in town. No chance.

As for your judgment of being 'foolish' who isnt to one degree or another ? Perhaps you yourself include foods known to clog your arteries and shorten your life, perhaps alcohol, perhaps, heaven forbid, other things.

Each to their own.

Edited by marcusmarsh

marcus congrats for your bike.

but after your first accident, you will understand who is more free.

a rider spending time at the hospital while they are correcting the bent balls! or a rider who wears a full face helmet and other proper protection and still running?laugh.png

Edited by loserlazer
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifIMG_5839.JPG

Just went up to Doi Inthanon this morning with my mate. Oh the utter joy of those roads. I cant believe how much I enjoyed it ! Really starting to feel much more confident on cornering now. Not over confident though. Stuck a picture up, my mates bike is in the background.

So after the trip I went to take the bike to get serviced and asked for a filter change and semi synthetic oil. He said I have to use 100% synthetic or normal oil as per the agreement of the warranty !

Cheers

They're talking rubbish. Get then to show you where it says that in the warranty. They won't be able to.

So, seeing as they don't have any semi in stock, go with the 'normal' oil for this service. Maybe for your next service, come down to Udon where they know what they're doing.

a rider spending time at the hospital while they are correcting the bent balls! or a rider who wears a full face helmet and other proper protection and still running?laugh.png

One thing in Thailand is they are not concerned about showing an accident in all its gory detail.

This was just posted on Face Book tonight

Looks to be two dead falangs off what looked like a CBR600 maybe 1000?

Also looks like one had a half type helmet ?

Hard to tell as most of his head is gone.

Both wearing shorts & slippers I think

They show the drivers license but I did not notice the country their from & am not going to watch it again

Edited by metisdead
Edited to remove gory video at poster's request.

One thing in Thailand is they are not concerned about showing an accident in all its gory detail.

They show the drivers license but I did not notice the country their from & am not going to watch it again

One of the guys from Wales, looked like Pats, I think even with a full face helmet he would have been dead. I wonder how fast they were going. Fools in paradise wearing shorts no less but the least of their worries.

attachicon.gifIMG_5839.JPG

Cheers

They're talking rubbish. Get then to show you where it says that in the warranty. They won't be able to.

So, seeing as they don't have any semi in stock, go with the 'normal' oil for this service. Maybe for your next service, come down to Udon where they know what they're doing.

Agreed they are talking a load of tosh but will just go with normal oil. Cheers to you and mania for posts regarding oil choice.

Edited by marcusmarsh

One of the guys from Wales, looked like Pats, I think even with a full face helmet he would have been dead. I wonder how fast they were going. Fools in paradise wearing shorts no less but the least of their worries.

Head gone or not, it doesn't really matter when you are dead. Do we need such horroshows?

Imo its good that the OP wears a helmet. Fullface or not, up to him. Seems he is old enough and knows what he is doing. He soon will realize how dangerous thai traffic can be. There are enough threads about this topic.

Good luck and have fun with the new bike smile.png

• Like 1

Head gone or not, it doesn't really matter when you are dead. Do we need such horroshows?

Yeah in hindsight I wish I had not posted it.

I was really horrified & had just saw it minutes before.

Later after the shock wore off I thought better of the idea

& agree it would have been better not to post it even with the warning of

explicit material I added.

Having grown up in the US I have never seen news agencies show

such things like they do here. Even murders & such in the newspapers.

Sorry bout that

I would ask a mod to remove it but it has also been quoted in replies.

I will try now anyway though.

Edited by mania

seen a horrible photo of that accident mentioned here. RIP for them.

I wonder what they were thinking riding a supersport bike without proper protection. Or has he ever ridden a supersport in his life?

I think they have to ban the rental of these supersport bikes in Thailand. a cbr250 or a ninja 650 is more than enough for a tourist why do you need a supersport to rent here??? just for a show of i guess., a gore show unfortunately:(

Edited by loserlazer

I wonder what they were thinking riding a supersport bike without proper protection. Or has he ever ridden a supersport in his life?

I think they have to ban the rental of these supersport bikes in Thailand.

I remember the news from Phuket around a year ago of an Aussie being killed on a rented CBR600, his body was being cremated at the Wat with his family there and the Thai owner of the bike showed up wanting the family to pay for the ruined bike because he did not have any insurance on it and felt that he shouldn't be out of pocket and that they should pay.

ie, there is never going to be any proper regulation of almost anything in Thailand, let alone motorbike rentals in Tourist sesspits.

My cats have, for years, been clawing my seat to pieces on my Honda wave when parked at home - I just change the cover once a year. So to avoid this on the new bike I have been covering her. Not with a motor cycle cover but just some thing that usually covers my sofa. Problem is a piece of the material has burnt into the pipes. Not the chrome coloured part of the exhaust at the back but the coloured pipes (kinda copper colour) coming out from the engine at the front.

Any ideas how to remove this ?

I thought of very lightly and patiently using a brillo pad but reckon this might scratch of the colour too ?

Ive done a bit of googling and oven cleaner gets a few mentions. I aint gonna feel to bad about it if it just becomes part of the bike but would prefer it off if possible. It does not come off with soap and sponge.

My cats have, for years, been clawing my seat to pieces on my Honda wave when parked at home - I just change the cover once a year. So to avoid this on the new bike I have been covering her. Not with a motor cycle cover but just some thing that usually covers my sofa. Problem is a piece of the material has burnt into the pipes. Not the chrome coloured part of the exhaust at the back but the coloured pipes (kinda copper colour) coming out from the engine at the front.

Any ideas how to remove this ?

I thought of very lightly and patiently using a brillo pad but reckon this might scratch of the colour too ?

Ive done a bit of googling and oven cleaner gets a few mentions. I aint gonna feel to bad about it if it just becomes part of the bike but would prefer it off if possible. It does not come off with soap and sponge.

It always sucks to get marks on a new bike, I feel better about it when I think of them as battle wounds.