Just About To Buy A New Honda Cb500F. A Few Questions.

After riding about on 2 x 100cc bikes since I moved to Thailand (Chiang Mai) 7 years ago, Ive decided to buy the HondaCB500F. I did own a Suzuki Bandit 600 in the UK for a couple of years and really got the bike bug during that period. Its been dormant in me for a decade or more until now....

So about to pick the Honda up and I have to be honest Ive started to get lost with the questions in my mind. I have tried reading a lot on the net but perhaps my questions are too basic as I cant seem to find the answers.

In the morning I will try and get the immigration side of things sorted. Once thats done and I head of to the showroom I shall put the money down for the bike. Its then that I get lost a tad. Ive read many negative comments about the guys in the showrooms so would at least like to get a heads up about some stuff before I go there. So a 'few' questions. And yes I know they are awfully basic and clearly show my ineptitude at the bike game.

None the less if I do not get any replies I will still crack on and muddle through no doubt.

When I buy the new bike am I automatically insured ?

If not how do I sort that out ?

What am I insured against ? Crashes and the bike getting stolen ? Neither ? Anything or just makes me legal ?

Petrol - With my 100cc bikes I just used to put any petrol in. There seems to be 91 and 95 petrol in a whole host of different colours, yellow, red, orange, blue. I have no idea what the differences are between any of them.

Do I need to be particularly specific with which petrol I put in the Honda CB500F ? Im guessing yes but then I really do not know.

The running in of the bike - I read somewhere its best to change the oil and oil filter after as little as 40 miles ridden on the clock.

Which oil, that is available here in CM, is best to put in ?

And lastly,

What might be the best place - garage - to use for doing this stuff. I will not be doing anything myself on the bike as I am useless at it and have no tools whatsoever. I do not need people telling me there is nowhere in Chiang Mai for useful servicing. Just the best thats out there please ? Even if its the best of a bad lot as its my only choice for now.

Any answers to any of the above will at least get me started. Any other simple advice that Ive clearly not thought about would be appreciated too.

Failing that I wonder if I simply listened to the guy selling me the bike and all his instructions if too much can go wrong ?

I guess reading stuff on the net has MAYBE got me over thinking things hence becoming a tad lost in my thoughts about it all. I just wanna pick it up and ride the thing and enjoy it.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you buy you will be charged a small amount for registration & what they call government insurance or porabol

( roughly pronounced )

That is just a basic no fault liability only type insurance. Mandatory & runs about 1600 for that with the registration

For at least your first year or two you will probably? want 1st class insurance which is comprehensive & includes theft

That will probably run you about 10k a year ( perhaps another Honda 500 owner will chime in with a exact price )

Petrol I believe colors don't count as different station brands use different colors.

Basically your choices are Gasohol 91 or 95

I believe they run no problem on 91 but always use 95 myself in both my N250 & Wave 125i no problems

Oil changes up to you but definitely at 1000km or sooner if you like.

Oil any good brand & some will steer you towards synthetic right away while others prefer to let

the bike break in for a good 3000km first then switch to synthetic if you like the qualities of synthetic.

Since CM has a Big Wing & the bike is new under warranty if I were you I would stick with them for servicing wink.png

Enjoy your new ride & post some pictures & your impressions when you get a chance.

Good Luck

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

you can get the 1st class insurance from bigwing while purchasing the bike.

and you can use 91 and 95, no problems. But prefer to use benzyne 95 or good quality gasohol like shell v power 95.

For service, if you do not use Honda Bigwing, your warranty will automatically void.

Cb500f is a good bike but why do not you think about cb500x? it offers more flexibility for Up North.

Happy rides! you will like new 500 series!

thanks loserlazer. I will get my insurance at Bigwing then. And thanks for the heads up about my warranty. Very good to know. Posting this thread has already been most useful - feeling more relaxed already.

As for your question about the X. Its a fair question. I have to be honest it went like this.

I was walking down the street last Sunday and saw the showroom open so popped in to have a look at the bikes. I saw the 500 X and the 500 F and just loved the look of the F much more.

The thing is I didnt remember which model I had liked when I got home !!! So I googled both and read up about them and saw the X would be more practical. So when returning to the shop I was actually hoping the one I liked would be the X but it wasnt.

I just love the look of the F much much more (extremely superficial I know.)

I know people will say I should go for practical over looks but every time I returned to look at the bikes and sit on them I simply liked the F much more.

Since then Ive felt like a kid on xmas evening as I am waiting for money to arrive from UK bank. Ive watched countless you tube bike clips and just want Santa to get down my bloody chimney sharpish :)

i went into Honda Big Wing in Pattaya a couple of weeks ago and drove their demo CB500 F - it was great....a lovely lovely bike with a smooth low revving engine with a sound that reminded me of the CB500/4's of the 70's....

i was hooked.....

i spoke to a pal who has a bike shop and knows a lot more about bikes than me and his thoughts were that although the F is a great bike, the X is more suited to the roads and general riding in Thailand...

Having thought about it, i paid my deposit and picked my X up last week.....

post-180591-0-23324900-1370866398_thumb.

• Like 2

thanks loserlazer. I will get my insurance at Bigwing then. And thanks for the heads up about my warranty. Very good to know. Posting this thread has already been most useful - feeling more relaxed already.

As for your question about the X. Its a fair question. I have to be honest it went like this.

I was walking down the street last Sunday and saw the showroom open so popped in to have a look at the bikes. I saw the 500 X and the 500 F and just loved the look of the F much more.

The thing is I didnt remember which model I had liked when I got home !!! So I googled both and read up about them and saw the X would be more practical. So when returning to the shop I was actually hoping the one I liked would be the X but it wasnt.

I just love the look of the F much much more (extremely superficial I know.)

I know people will say I should go for practical over looks but every time I returned to look at the bikes and sit on them I simply liked the F much more.

Since then Ive felt like a kid on xmas evening as I am waiting for money to arrive from UK bank. Ive watched countless you tube bike clips and just want Santa to get down my bloody chimney sharpish smile.png

both good bikes.

but yes. just buy what makes you happier. cb500f is also a practical bike, has more ground clearance than cbr500r.

besides, you can buy a nice slip on pipe with that 10k you savebiggrin.png

still consider your environment and needs one more time just before putting your money in.

Edited by loserlazer

I have a CB500F, so can hopefully answer a few things for you from my experiences with Big Wing in Udon.

No, Big Wing will offer a complete on-the-road package. I think I paid about 14k.

What am I insured against ? Crashes and the bike getting stolen ? Neither ? Anything or just makes me legal ?

Fully comp insurance will insure you and the bike up to a point. You should have your own healthcare anyway and the insurance will pay out up to about 80% of the value of the bike.

Petrol - With my 100cc bikes I just used to put any petrol in. There seems to be 91 and 95 petrol in a whole host of different colours, yellow, red, orange, blue. I have no idea what the differences are between any of them.

91 is the recommended fuel for the bike. It can use E10 gasohol with no problems. Don't bother with 95 as it will run better on 91, so it's a waste of money.

Do I need to be particularly specific with which petrol I put in the Honda CB500F ? Im guessing yes but then I really do not know.

Caltex or Shell are supposed to be the best available here, but I use PTT as it all works the same in my opinion.

The running in of the bike - I read somewhere its best to change the oil and oil filter after as little as 40 miles ridden on the clock.

You will get an Owner's Manual with the bike. It says:

During the first 500 km (300 miles) of running, follow these guidelines to ensure your motorcycle’s future reliability and performance.
● Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.
● Avoid hard braking and rapid down-shifts.
● Ride conservatively.

The first service is due at 1,000kms where they will do an oil change and check your valves. If you feel you want to change your oil sooner, then go for it, but Honda didn't say to do it, so I'm not.

Honda's own oil that Big Wing have. At the first Service 1,000kms, make sure they use the semi-synthetic stuff. At your next service, go with the fully synthetic.

And lastly,

What might be the best place - garage - to use for doing this stuff. I will not be doing anything myself on the bike as I am useless at it and have no tools whatsoever. I do not need people telling me there is nowhere in Chiang Mai for useful servicing. Just the best thats out there please ? Even if its the best of a bad lot as its my only choice for now.

Honda Big Wing is where you should go.

Also, the F is much nicer then the X especially in red.

Edited by Wong!
  • Like 2

I have a CB500F, so can hopefully answer a few things for you from my experiences with Big Wing in Udon.

No, Big Wing will offer a complete on-the-road package. I think I paid about 14k.

Fully comp insurance will insure you and the bike up to a point. You should have your own healthcare anyway and the insurance will pay out up to about 80% of the value of the bike.

91 is the recommended fuel for the bike. It can use E10 gasohol with no problems. Don't bother with 95 as it will run better on 91, so it's a waste of money.

Caltex or Shell are supposed to be the best available here, but I use PTT as it all works the same in my opinion.

During the first 500 km (300 miles) of running, follow these guidelines to ensure your motorcycle’s future reliability and performance.

● Ride conservatively.

The first service is due at 1,000kms where they will do an oil change and check your valves. If you feel you want to change your oil sooner, then go for it, but Honda didn't say to do it, so I'm not.

Honda's own oil that Big Wing have. At the first Service 1,000kms, make sure they use the semi-synthetic stuff. At your next service, go with the fully synthetic.

And lastly,

Well there you have it - the F is much nicer than the X.............

• Like 2

What do you guys wear for protective jackets/trousers being Thailand is so hot ?

Leather jacket or far too hot for that ? I must admit to liking the look of the leather jackets but do not want to be scorching hot sweating my nuts off.

● Ride conservatively.

And lastly,

Well there you have it - the F is much nicer than the X.............

nice

- First oil change don't use Synthetic. ideally non-Synthetic, so that engine pistons will seal better.

- Do a good engine break-in then change oil right away. Read this method of engine break-in: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

• Like 1

Just bought a CB500X from Big Wing Chiang Mai three weeks ago. Took her in for 1st oil change yesterday. Excellent service.

Everthing previous posters have said is 'spot on'. I would only add, If you are not an experienced big bike rider be cautious. I recently encountered

another new owner who has crashed already as it 'got away from him'.

After owning many motorcycles since 1954 I am pleasantly surprised at the performance of the CB500X. In the mountains riding the twistee's I slide forward

on the seat and ride her like an Enduro......on the highway slide back and she handles like a road bike. At 400 lbs very nimble. Am looking forward to my first road trip.

After wrestling with a 640 lb Yamaha VMax (1200 cc) for 5 years I am back in nirvana...........(in the wind eventually becomes a meditation).

Jolly Roger

Hey Rog lets go riding i'll bring the ammo thumbsup.gif

(hope this is the same roger i know...lol)

Edited by KRS1

cheers jollyrog for reminder about taking it easy. This is something I am trying to drum into myself after 7 years riding 100cc bikes and about 15 years since I drove a 600cc. And the 600cc was only for about 18 months and boy did I love that period of time. Going to pick up the bike tomorrow. The excitement level is cracking me up.

Popped into a shop to buy a jacket today (past Pantip turn right then on the right) and got chatting with a very nice fella who helped me a bundle with bits of advice. Im feeling so much more ready to go than 48 hours ago.

This time tomorrow.....

Thanks to all for chipping in with advice.

• Like 2

After riding about on 2 x 100cc bikes since I moved to Thailand (Chiang Mai) 7 years ago, Ive decided to buy the HondaCB500F. I did own a Suzuki Bandit 600 in the UK for a couple of years and really got the bike bug during that period. Its been dormant in me for a decade or more until now....

So about to pick the Honda up and I have to be honest Ive started to get lost with the questions in my mind. I have tried reading a lot on the net but perhaps my questions are too basic as I cant seem to find the answers.

In the morning I will try and get the immigration side of things sorted. Once thats done and I head of to the showroom I shall put the money down for the bike.

Don't get Certificate of Residence from Immigration until your bike is delivered.

No - but the dealer will offer you 1st class insurance for a year for about 10,000 bht. Beware, the "1st class" title is misleading. Ask exactly what is covered and when - or check with the company itself.

There is a sticker on the tank that says it is ok to use 91 gasohol. But see the extensive discussions on TV about this fuel. I prefer benzene 95 - cost is a little more, but I like to look after my bikes.

Yep - do it! Maybe around 100 km. And don't use synthetic oil until it is well run in. Even at first service, Honda will try to sell you their super expensive synthetic oil - I suggest not to do it until maybe second service (if at all - plenty of medium spec oils to choose from. I use Elf Moto4 (available in CM) and change oil and filters every 3000 km - not 6000 as it specifies in the CB500 manual. As I said, I like to care for my bikes, and a few extra baht is ok by me.

You have to use BigWing to keep your warranty. After one year when warranty expires, go with whoever you want. Despite many negative comments about Thai mechanics, there are some good ones around. Rely on personal recommendations.

Any answers to any of the above will at least get me started. Any other simple advice that Ive clearly not thought about would be appreciated too.

You say you are mechanically illiterate, and have no tools. I hope that doesnt mean you leave it to others to care for basics of your bike - your life depends on it. Check tyres, brakes, chain, body bolts, electricals regularly.

Enjoy the riding - a fun bike.

What do you guys wear for protective jackets/trousers being Thailand is so hot ?

Leather jacket or far too hot for that ? I must admit to liking the look of the leather jackets but do not want to be scorching hot sweating my nuts off.

I have a perforated leather Komine jacket which is heavy but actually pretty cool BUT i usually wear my lightweight Nerve mesh jacket.. I may sell off the leather one.

320sp do Nerve mesh jackets and trousers.. 2,000b each.. good quality and real falang fit

I bought mine cbr500 at Honda Bigwing. My road tax and registration was free they sorted it out I didn't have to pay anything. My insurance was 9,200 bht at Bigwing shop they will offer you if not then ask. Its Tokio Marine insurance company. (If you claim 5000 bht +1000 bht excess fee).

I run on shell v power gasohol 95 as recommended by LL on this forum, I noticed my bike ran smoother on it than on gasohol 91. I had to go for a service at 1000 km and it costed around 900 bht and 650x3 bht for 3 liters of Synthetic original Japanese import oil. You need to 2.5 liters but you have to buy 3 and you can keep or take the remaining oil.

Now for the bad part, the service at Bigwing chiang mai is crap, I have some minor repairs to be done on a bike. I left my bike in BW Chiang mai on 1st of MAY!!!! Right now is 17th of June and I still don't have my bike, I keep calling and they are clueless to when the parts will come (there is 2 bikes standing there when I was there which are waiting for the parts for 4 MONTHS already!). It is really pissing me off as I need my bike back. I would not recommend to fix you bike there if you have a chance drive it to BigWing Bangkok I heard they are much better.

Edited by sup3r1or

I bought mine cbr500 at Honda Bigwing. My road tax and registration was free they sorted it out I didn't have to pay anything. My insurance was 9,200 bht at Bigwing shop they will offer you if not then ask. Its Tokio Marine insurance company. (If you claim 5000 bht +1000 bht excess fee).

I run on shell v power gasohol 95 as recommended by LL on this forum, I noticed my bike ran smoother on it than on gasohol 91. I had to go for a service at 1000 km and it costed around 900 bht and 650x3 bht for 3 liters of Synthetic original Japanese import oil. You need to 2.5 liters but you have to buy 3 and you can keep or take the remaining oil.

Now for the bad part, the service at Bigwing chiang mai is crap, I have some minor repairs to be done on a bike. I left my bike in BW Chiang mai on 1st of MAY!!!! Right now is 17th of June and I still don't have my bike, I keep calling and they are clueless to when the parts will come (there is 2 bikes standing there when I was there which are waiting for the parts for 4 MONTHS already!). It is really pissing me off as I need my bike back. I would not recommend to fix you bike there if you have a chance drive it to BigWing Bangkok I heard they are much better.

so hows this big wing chang mai's fault ? soulds like a parts supply issue from Honda......

• Like 1

If it's just minor repairs, why don't you just go and get it back and get them to call you when the parts arrive?

The gear leaver is screwed up i cannot shift up or down sometimes. No point of having bike here i cannot ride. They said a max of 1 month which was fine by me.

Someone here mentioned 2 weeks ago bw bangkok did repair on a bike in 1 week.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually, there's something strange going on at Big Wing Chiang Mai with parts.

I had to get some repairs on my bike done and I had ordered them at the Honda shop near Airport Plaza. Insurance company then told me I had to do it with Big Wing in the city.

Anyway, Honda near airport plaza had those parts within a week (friendly lady there told me when I went back to get new tyres fitted yesterday), whereas Big Wing won't be for another week at least. Very strange.

I run on shell v power gasohol 95 as recommended by LL on this forum, I noticed my bike ran smoother on it than on gasohol 91. I had to go for a service at 1000 km and it costed around 900 bht and 650x3 bht for 3 liters of Synthetic original Japanese import oil.  You need to 2.5 liters but you have to buy 3 and you can keep or take the remaining oil. 

so hows this big wing chang mai's fault ?  soulds like a parts supply issue from Honda......

Depends on if they have ordered them yet.. if they have gone over the parts 30day budget.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 1

I had to go for a service at 1000 km and it costed around 900 bht and 650x3 bht for 3 liters of Synthetic original Japanese import oil. You need to 2.5 liters but you have to buy 3 and you can keep or take the remaining oil.

Sounds like they didn't check your valves either at that price. Glad Udon Big Wing know what they're doing.