Nsa Contractor Identifies Himself As Source

News_Editor

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The poor NSA spooks are feeling neglected.

NSA morale down after Edward Snowden revelations, former U.S. officials say

Morale has taken a hit at the National Security Agency in the wake of controversy over the agency’s surveillance activities, according to former officials who say they are dismayed that President Obama has not visited the agency to show his support.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nsa-morale-down-after-edward-snowden-revelations-former-us-officials-say/2013/12/07/24975c14-5c65-11e3-95c2-13623eb2b0e1_story.html

"former officials say". Sure, we should believe them. Why aren't they considered leakers? They're giving comfort to the enemy by highlighting the low morale at the NSA. Shame on them.

Six months after NSA story broke, Snowden looks even more patriotic

President Obama, congressmen and tech companies promise to 'rein in' the surveillance, but we should be skeptical

Six months ago this week, the Guardian and Washington Post published the first stories based on leaks from Edward Snowden. Since then, in what has become a steady drumbeat of revelations about the about the US National Security Agency other nations' spy agencies, we've learned how utterly hostile our governments have become to our most fundamental rights in the post 9/11 world – but we've also seen the first genuine push-back by some of the people who have the power to make a near-term difference.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/06/nsa-edward-snowden

Personally I admire Mr. Snowden, think he is a great patriot, and know that I do not have the personal fortitude and commitment to my country to do what he did. I am probably more representative of the meek majority?

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 2

The NSA is allowed to collect information legally, so not ALL of the information it has was 'stolen' as you like to call it. But, all of the information which Snowden has is stolen.

Even if you steal stolen information, you are still a thief. Cut it however you like, it still stinks. He is a thief and a traitor.

In the world of espionage, it would seem that Mr. Putin is keeping the goodies for himself.

The NSA is allowed to collect information legally, so not ALL of the information it has was 'stolen' as you like to call it. But, all of the information which Snowden has is stolen.

Even if you steal stolen information, you are still a thief. Cut it however you like, it still stinks. He is a thief and a traitor.

In the world of espionage, it would seem that Mr. Putin is keeping the goodies for himself.

Really? Not ALL of the information stolen by the NSA was 'stolen', whereas Snowden is a 100% thief vs. 87%? laugh.png

I am cutting it as I like and the NSA stinks here, not Snowden - thank you for allowing me to do so - actually, the NSA is a criminal in many countries whereas Snowden is only considered a criminal in one . . . possibly the lapdog following suit

Espionage? Keeping the goodies? facepalm.gif Ouch, ouch, ouch

Nope, Snowden is a criminal in more than one country.

He has violated the laws of more than just the USA and he has passed on information that came from more than just the USA.

Name them and has he been charged by or has any other country asked for his extradition?

• Like 1

He's no thief, he's a hero for telling the truth and exposing governmental illegality........................

And he's no traitor IF ( and it's big IF ) the USA is to be true to it's core principles.

• Like 1

Eventually economics may trump bogus national security claims?

NSA spying hurts business of large U.S. hardware makers

SAN FRANCISCO — With evidence mounting that NSA spying has damaged the business of some of the largest U.S. technology companies, the question now is how long it will take them to win back the trust of overseas customers.
Without any changes in U.S. law that restrict the agency's ability to use tech for surveillance, the answer may be "never."

The wicked flee when no man pursueth

but the righteous are bold as a lion.

Pretty obvious who's wicked here, the NSA as they flee into their dark haunts in Ft. Meade, and who's righteous, willing to sacrifice a lot for his beliefs in the American Way.

The NSA are only bold when they are misleading the public, that is to say when Gen. Alexander's, or Mr. Clapper's, lips are moving.

Tech giants call on president and Congress to rein in Internet spy programs

In an unusual joint statement, leading Internet companies called Monday for new legal restrictions on government spy programs that the companies view as an increasing threat both to their customers' privacy and their own business interests.
"The U.S. government should take this opportunity to lead this reform effort and make things right," Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in a statement that accompanied an open letter to the president and Congress. The letter was also endorsed by top executives at Apple (AAPL), Google (GOOG) and other Internet giants who are usually fierce competitors.
Bill Clinton condemns NSA’s reported collection of economic data
Former president Bill Clinton in a new interview condemns the National Security Agency's reported collection of industrial data as part of its surveillance programs. Reports based on documents leaked by Edward Snowden have shown that the NSA collected financial data from the network of Brazil's state-run oil company, Petrobras. Clinton is in Brazil this week.
"We shouldn't have gathered economic intelligence under the guise of security -- not with an ally," Clinton told O Globo, a newspaper in Rio de Janeiro.

NEWSFLASH: Spies don't follow the law. They never have and never will. Especially if they are spying on a foreign gov't. Oh, and you think your gov't isn't spying on anyone? Indonesia maybe?

So if Snowden were a spy everything would be ok according to you . . . Odd thinking

The words used were spying on a foreign government. Snowden is an American. He was spying on the US. He is a traitor.

But your country doesn't do any spying? It wasn't doing a little eavesdropping on the neighbors that caused a bit of a problem?

Or was that just for the greater good of the nation?

The words used were spying on a foreign government. Snowden is an American. He was spying on the US. He is a traitor.

But your country doesn't do any spying? It wasn't doing a little eavesdropping on the neighbors that caused a bit of a problem?

Or was that just for the greater good of the nation?

Irrespective of which, spying as such is acceptable as long as it is done by a government? Snowden was a government employee so that would made what he did legal . . . according to you

What 'my' government does isn't part of this debate, but nice try at obfuscation

I believe that your gov't got quite a bit of it's information from the NSA and I believe it was Snowden who dropped a dime on the situation, so, yes, it is a part of this. But nice try at obfuscation.

Pot, kettle; glass houses, rocks come to mind.

This lengthy article in this week's New Yorker details the current mess, how we got there, the players, etc. Some may find it interesting...

STATE OF DECEPTION

In practice, Obama has not wavered from the position taken by the N.S.A.’s lawyers and embraced by Feinstein and the majority of the Intelligence Committee. “The system generally has worked,” Matthew Olsen told me. “One way to think about the current debate is the degree to which, as a lawyer or as a citizen, you have confidence in our government institutions to operate effectively and trust our system of court oversight, congressional oversight, and executive-branch responsibilities.”
The history of the intelligence community, though, reveals a willingness to violate the spirit and the letter of the law, even with oversight. What’s more, the benefits of the domestic-surveillance programs remain unclear.

Wyden said that the continued leaks from Snowden help build momentum for changing the law. “We pick up more support as more and more of this comes out,” he told me. “After a decade, we think this is the best opportunity for reform that we’re going to have, certainly in my lifetime, and we’re not going to let it go by.”

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/12/16/131216fa_fact_lizza?currentPage=all

I believe that your gov't got quite a bit of it's information from the NSA and I believe it was Snowden who dropped a dime on the situation, so, yes, it is a part of this. But nice try at obfuscation.

Pot, kettle; glass houses, rocks come to mind.

Yet again . . . why bring 'my' government into a debate about Snowden and the NSA when there is no relevance in it and then just repeating verbatim what I wrote?

Nothing more to say I'd guess, but here's a snippet just for you: I am not the Australian government nor is the Australian government me . . . neither are corporations people, my friend

NSA considers amnesty for Snowden if he stops leaks

Senior National Security Agency officials in the United States say they’ve considered making a deal with former contractor Edward Snowden that would give amnesty to the leaker charged with espionage if he stops disclosing secret documents.
Both the director of the NSA and the government official in charge of the agency’s Snowden task force tell CBS News that they’ve considered the possibility of cutting a deal with the 30-year-old former contractor, who fled the US for Hong Kong earlier this year with a trove of top-secret documents.

Exclusive: After 'cataclysmic' Snowden affair, NSA faces winds of change

The U.S. National Security Agency has made dozens of changes in its operations and computer networks to prevent the emergence of another Edward Snowden, including potential disciplinary action, a top NSA official said on Friday, as a White House review panel recommended restraints on NSA spying.

No one at the NSA has yet lost their job over the Snowden crisis, including at the Hawaii site where he worked. Ledgett said three people are under review for potential disciplinary action, but declined further comment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/13/us-usa-security-nsa-idUSBRE9BC0YZ20131213

Obama Panel Said to Urge N.S.A. Curbs

WASHINGTON — A presidential advisory committee charged with examining the operations of the National Security Agency has concluded that a program to collect data on every phone call made in the United States should continue, though under broad new restraints that would be intended to increase privacy protections, according to officials with knowledge of the report’s contents.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/13/world/americas/obama-panel-said-to-urge-nsa-curbs.html?_r=0

By cracking cellphone code, NSA has capacity for decoding private conversations

The cellphone encryption technology used most widely across the world can be easily defeated by the National Security Agency, an internal document shows, giving the agency the means to decode most of the billions of calls and texts that travel over public airwaves every day.
While the military and law enforcement agencies long have been able to hack into individual cellphones, the NSA’s capability appears to be far more sweeping because of the agency’s global signals collection operation. The agency’s ability to crack encryption used by the majority of cellphones in the world offers it wide-ranging powers to listen in on private conversations.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/by-cracking-cellphone-code-nsa-has-capacity-for-decoding-private-conversations/2013/12/13/e119b598-612f-11e3-bf45-61f69f54fc5f_story.html

Any time an agency or gov gets exposed for lying cheating or braking either domestic or international law I applaud. Couldnt care less about the word traitor the real traitors are those who go along with the party line not the whistleblowers ...

there would be no such thing as whistleblowers btw if there was nothing to blow about. wink.png som nom naa

So is he still a traitor when it is the US government that are now ruled to be wrong?

Edited by Asiantravel

Any time an agency or gov gets exposed for lying cheating or braking either domestic or international law I applaud. Couldnt care less about the word traitor the real traitors are those who go along with the party line not the whistleblowers ...

there would be no such thing as whistleblowers btw if there was nothing to blow about. wink.png som nom naa

So is he still a traitor when it is the US government that are now ruled to be wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejvyDn1TPr8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejvyDn1TPr8

So ultimately, which branch is the most powerful? The Courts or the President?

US phone data grab 'against the law'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25410064