Are We So Afraid Of Offending Our Neighbour?: Thai Editorial

webfact

EDITORIAL
Are we so afraid of offending our neighbour?

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The decision to ban Cambodia's opposition-leader-in-exile from entering Thailand is a slap in the face for the principle of freedom of speech

The government's decision to ban Cambodian opposition-leader-in-exile Sam Rainsy from entering Thailand for his book launch last week was a step backwards for Thailand.

Rainsy, a long-time opponent of Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen who is living in exile in France to avoid an 11-year prison sentence, is actually no stranger to Thailand.

Cambodia will hold a general election in late July. Rainsy is prohibited from taking part due to his conviction for publishing what is allegedly a map showing an alleged false delineation of the Cambodia-Vietnam boundary.

His intention in coming to Thailand for the book launch no doubt involved a political agenda. But that is not a good reason for a country like Thailand to refuse him entry, as we, and this government, have told the world that we are an open and democratic society, where all people have freedom of expression.

The Foreign Ministry says Rainsy was barred because this country allows no foreigners to use its territory as a stage from which to attack friendly neighbours.

This is the standard rationale and it never works, since Thailand always exercises the rule selectively. Overtly or covertly, Thailand has over the years permitted, tolerated and even supported all kinds of political activities. Various "freedom fighters", activists and other campaigners have enjoyed freedom to air their views here and carry out efforts to further their causes and struggles. This is well recorded in our history.

The possibility of souring good relations with the government in Phnom Penh under Prime Minister Hun Sen - who is virtually assured, as usual, to win the upcoming election - is also not a good reason to bar Sam Rainsy from Thai territory.

Many people in this government will be seen as hypocrites if they support the ban on Rainsy. They have good experience of using other countries as venues for overt political purposes when they opposed the former government under the Democrat Party. What would have happened if no country had allowed them to lash out at the situation in Thailand and attack their opponents from abroad?

Senior officials in this government should explain to Hun Sen that the administration of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra champions democratic principles and that freedom of expression is a basic right of everyone, including visitors. After all, that's what they themselves have been saying for years.

Allowing Sam Rainsy to speak in Thailand, and to criticise the leadership of a country that has good relations with Thailand, would cast the governments in both Bangkok and Phnom Penh as properly democratic. It would be an example to the world that they do indeed safeguard rights.

It is ridiculous to say we are a democratic country when we will not allow anyone to criticise our friends. If the friendship is genuine, we should not be afraid of criticism.

Prime Minister Hun Sen should also demonstrate his democratic credentials by remaining silent while Thailand takes the opportunity to show the international community that it is democratic. Prime Minister Yingluck needs to demonstrate to the world that she supports the democratic principle that brought her to power.

The only valid reason that could vindicate the decision to ban Sam Rainsy, or anyone else from any other country, is that their words or actions here would involve or encourage the use of violence against the leadership of a neighbouring country. If that is not the intent, then they should be made welcome here and be able to exercise their freedom of speech, because this is what Thailand is supposed to stand for.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-11

• Like 1

there not chinese there thai,if there born in thailand there not scottish are they,get it right,,,,,,,,there is no democracy in thailand worth talking about,unless it suits a headline or two,for whatever party is in power,,sorry that was off topic,,taxi for winstonc

there not chinese there thai,if there born in thailand there not scottish are they,get it right,,,,,,,,there is no democracy in thailand worth talking about,unless it suits a headline or two,for whatever party is in power,,sorry that was off topic,,taxi for winstonc

So, why call them Hi-So Thai-Chinese when they're fairly well all of Chinese ethnicity? . . . 'get it right', indeed.

"Allowing Sam Rainsy to speak in Thailand......... would cast the governments in both Bangkok and Phnom Penh as properly democratic."

That would be asking one good deed to make up for myriad faults.

You're Caucasian, whether you want to adopt a nationality to that is up to you, I guess. I'm also German to the 1600s, Huguenot before . . . but I'm an Aussie

I just find it quite simplistic to see all these negative 'Hi-So-Thai-Chinese' comments, as though they aren't as Thai as some woman from Buriram . . .

Everyone that knows a bit about Thailand knows that Chinese-Thais don't know nor care about their ethnic origins. I have asked a lot of Chinese-Thai friends (including my girlfriend) to tell me about their ancestry and the best they can tell me is that "their grandfather or great grandfather came from China". They can't name the 1) region of China he came from 2) which dialect he spoke 3) nor can they speak any Chinese themselves. They just see themselves as upper class Thais who happen to have a fairer complexion compared to rural Thais. Unlike in Malaysia and Singapore, where you can ask an ethnic Chinese person to name the part of China their ancestors came from, when they came and you can even speak to them in Mandarin or another Chinese dialect, this is very rare in Thailand. I have only met a tiny number of Thai-Chinese that could speak any Chinese dialect and then these people were already well into their 50s, 60s or older. The only younger Chinese-Thais who can speak any Chinese are in the process of learning it at school/university etc. and they are no better than their ethnic Thai counterparts in speaking it.

You're Caucasian, whether you want to adopt a nationality to that is up to you, I guess. I'm also German to the 1600s, Huguenot before . . . but I'm an Aussie

I just find it quite simplistic to see all these negative 'Hi-So-Thai-Chinese' comments, as though they aren't as Thai as some woman from Buriram . . .

Everyone that knows a bit about Thailand knows that Chinese-Thais don't know nor care about their ethnic origins. I have asked a lot of Chinese-Thai friends (including my girlfriend) to tell me about their ancestry and the best they can tell me is that "their grandfather or great grandfather came from China". They can't name the 1) region of China he came from 2) which dialect he spoke 3) nor can they speak any Chinese themselves. They just see themselves as upper class Thais who happen to have a fairer complexion compared to rural Thais. Unlike in Malaysia and Singapore, where you can ask an ethnic Chinese person to name the part of China their ancestors came from, when they came and you can even speak to them in Mandarin or another Chinese dialect, this is very rare in Thailand. I have only met a tiny number of Thai-Chinese that could speak any Chinese dialect and then these people were already well into their 50s, 60s or older. The only younger Chinese-Thais who can speak any Chinese are in the process of learning it at school/university etc. and they are no better than their ethnic Thai counterparts in speaking it.

Thank you, I know quite a bit about Thailand and also know that quite a few have quite a connection to the 'old country', though these are usually the newer immigrants from two or three generations ago.

I believe you miss my point, though - please do re-read the flow and you'll see what I mean about it being silly always negatively highlighting someone being 'Hi-S-Thai-Chinese' when they are fairly well all from China originally

"...we are an open and democratic society, where all people have freedom of expression."

....thats why Thailand has the need for lese majeste and criminal libel laws - because it is an open, democratic society where all people have freedom of expression.

For crying out loud Thailand - a predominantly Buddhist country - even refused the Dalai Lama to enter the country a few years ago because the Chinese did not like it and bullied Thailand into refusing him entry.

Or what else was the reason to refuse him entry? Afraid the Dalai Lama would have given hate speaches or incited violence???

Principles or integrity are virtually unknown in this country.

Comment on moderation action has been removed. There is a report button bottom left hand corner of each post, use that report objectionable content and a moderator will attend to the reported post.

Other derogatory posts and replies have been removed.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

It is ridiculous to say we are a democratic country when we will not allow anyone to criticise our friends. If the friendship is genuine, we should not be afraid of criticism.

Senior officials in this government should explain to Hun Sen that the administration of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra champions democratic principles and that freedom of expression is a basic right of everyone, including visitors.

I think real freedom of expression would benefit Thailand, and am constantly surprised that nobody seems to care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5dBZDSSky0