Hiring Part Time Help

Down the road, after I situate in Thailand, I will need a part time researcher to assist me. I'll be looking for someone to research historical documents, summarize and/or translate them from Thai to English. Basically it will be up to forty hours or so a month. Good english skills, capable and honest are primary considerations. Would prefer a female for the position, due to the nature of the research, but that's not mandatory.

I'm curious what I should expect to budget for that sort of assistance. I am guessing something around 10,000 baht a month for a post-grad part time researcher. Is my estimate high or low? Would finding someone with those skills and an interest in historical research feasible in Chiang Mai?

My command of the Thai language is non-existant at this point. I doubt that I will become even partially conversant in it for at least a year or two, but I don't want to wait that long to start gathering background info.

Also, as I plan to spend my time over there on a tourist visa and then perhaps a retirement visa, will writing be a no-no? I'm not looking for work as a writer in Thailand, but rather writing for my own pleasure and possible publication later. Any potential visa problems with that?

Please Note: This is not a job offer. I am basically seeking info so that I can more accurately budget and to verify feasibility. I won't be retiring for at least a year, probably more. So it will be at least that long before I will be in Thailand full time.

Jeepz