Bangkok ranks 2nd in Asia and 6th in the world as city with the lowest nightlife expenses

Lite Beer

I just got back from Singapore, I nearly gave up drinking when I noticed it was 12 SGD per bottle, basically 288 baht, if you want the good stuff that is going to cost you closer to 400 baht per bottle. I went out on a relatively quiet night but it was really good fun. Met a bunch of Singaporean guys there who showed me a little of the town, it was a most welcomed change to the usual nights in Thailand. We actually, paid rounds etc etc.

I really enjoyed myself there, I wasted about 80,000 baht though with not much to show for it to be honest but the experience was great and it's so much more efficient than Thailand. They have a lot of history there so I say it's worth the experience really, I needn't have spent so much money really but I was on holiday so....

I got back to Don Muang and had to queue for the taxi, though the taxi ride was cheaper than in Singapore, Singapore really did beat Thailand in terms of professionalism. The taxi driver who drove me back home I am 99.9% certain was high on Yabba at the time as well, with all the face movements he was making, that was really unnerving.

So yeah Thailand and Vietnam are cheaper but I think the sometimes it pays to pay a little more for a better time in the end.

fully agree, for a better, safer time in the end, similar in HK.

I definately want to go to Hong Kong at some point, trouble is work, I am literally chained to the office, do you have any recommendations?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love surveys like this one, they bring out the whole spectrum of people, each claiming some kind of spurious superiority in the "world-experienced traveller" stakes, as if the whole thing weren't completely irrelevant.

• Like 1

all nighter, 1200baht,beautiful thai meal or itialian 100baht.pretty hard to spend 2000bht,a night

hahaha...you've obviously discovered the secret of time travel...those prices (with the exception of the 100 baht THAI meal...maybe) haven't existed for a good 10 years!!!
The 100 Baht "beautiful Italian meal" he is referring to is the tiny plate of Tuna spaghetti for 69 Baht plus a glass of coke on the side from Santa Fe Steakhouse, available in any Central shopping mall both in Bangkok and upcountry.

wrong mate go to koh lanta on soi 5 nimman and you will get a beautiful italian meal for less than 100bht, and there pizzas done in there special ovens are very very tasty,there is a lot more to los than bangkok, open your mind,and stop thinking the world ends in the capital

Italian food is probably the easiest and cheapest to find in Thailand because it's readily available, things start to get a little more expensive when there is less of it available. You can easily find most ingredients at supermarkets and just whip it up yourself, you'd be eating for a few days too and probably spend much less than 100 baht a dish so if you are paying more than 100 Baht per dish, what value are you getting for your money, I am not being a cheapskate but you do have to weigh things up a little. Same like beer, 35 baht in 7/11 at a club 100+.

Some foreign owned restaurants have difficulties with lack of customers so they have to sell a little over the odds just to make it worth their while. I think the secret to the success of a restaurant relies on keeping your tables occupied throughout the day and night, that way you can buy your produce in bulk and offer your patrons value for money, keeping them happy which is difficult sometimes due to the lack of customers, problems restauranteers get with landlords pushing up rental rates usually because they see a good thing and want to have a go at it themselves, the sheer amount of restaurants available in Thailand, lack of staff dedication etc. To add to that is international prices and prices of importing goods to Thailand etc so most places you'd probably pay more than 100 baht per dish.

I love surveys like this one, they bring out the whole spectrum of people, each claiming some kind of spurious superiority in the "world-experienced traveller" stakes, as if the whole thing weren't completely irrelevant.

A bit pompous, wouldn't you agree?

A bit pompous, wouldn't you agree?

I thought we were just chatting

• Like 2

Booze is the wallet breaker here. Far more than the cost of getting a girl.

Paying for Thai booze is making money for the absolutely richest families in Thailand.

Paying for girls is making money for among the poorer families in Thailand.

Hence the cost differential! Ferraris and mansions don't come cheap. tongue.png

I still can't figure out what is so cheap about Bangkok. Most people complain about the British pub prices throughout.

There are some dam_n good restaurants, with good food and drinks for low prices. Of course not DIRECTLY on Nana or Patpong.

So eat out in a nice (mostly Thai- frequented) place and hopp on to few drinks at the "usual" places...good and not overly expensive fun.

Ok. I'm hooked. Where are they?

Frankly, every time I have heard that and tried the suggestion I paid a pretty good chunk from my wallet.

But, I would like to be proven wrong.

My favorite f.e. is the Sortrel on Soi Narathiwas.

Found the atmosphere to be nice, the food to be good, the prices to be reasonable...

Another one would Khao Ta, directly on Thewes Pier.

Paying for Thai booze is making money for the absolutely richest families in Thailand.

Paying for girls is making money for among the poorer families in Thailand.

Hence the cost differential! Ferraris and mansions don't come cheap. tongue.png

Nice philosophy, haha

I still can't figure out what is so cheap about Bangkok. Most people complain about the British pub prices throughout.

There are some dam_n good restaurants, with good food and drinks for low prices. Of course not DIRECTLY on Nana or Patpong.

So eat out in a nice (mostly Thai- frequented) place and hopp on to few drinks at the "usual" places...good and not overly expensive fun.

Frankly, every time I have heard that and tried the suggestion I paid a pretty good chunk from my wallet.

The only real bargains are street food and Thai restaurants IMO. There's some incredible Thai restaurants where beer and food will run you under 1,000thb for a good meal. Street food is unbeatable value and ubiquitous, and certainly not expensive by any standards of the imagination but prices are starting to creep up...

Decent Western eateries you will still pay a premium, unless you consider Santa Fe, Sizzler and Pizza Company decent (and they are still fairly expensive all things considered). Similar for the more upmarket chains appearing in the newer malls.

An easy example; Burger King Thailand is double the price of BK in Cambo, and now more expensive than in Singapore.

I live in a local area in BKK and I can get steak and chips (ok, it's french fries and hardly a steak) for 70thb. But you get what you pay for.

The strength of the Baht means Thailand is not cheap in any department these days except the very lowest tier of food and accomodations.

In terms of Singapore (I work there frequently) I go to the hawkers and pay $5.50 for a large Heineken, and food starts from $2.00 for noodles. If you are not going to premium pubs and doing the touristy stuff there's no reason to spend loads of money. Only problem accommodation is ridiculously expensive and choices are limited.

My favorite f.e. is the Sortrel on Soi Narathiwas.

Found the atmosphere to be nice, the food to be good, the prices to be reasonable...

Another one would Khao Ta, directly on Thewes Pier.

Thanks. I'll check those out.

Since they didn't include cost of girl hire, this ranking is largely meaningless.

I think it is included for 5,774baht, ..should betongue.png

Even the price of woman has increased well more than double over the past five years; it is still a good deal compared to the like of most other big cities in Asia

That price increase might have more to do with the possibility that, as far as the women are concerned, you are probably twice as repulsive as you were 5 years ago.

Why have a dinner for 2 plus wines in a 4 star hotel when you can get it at a fraction of the price elsewhere , and just as good.

The post includes a taxi fare to dinner and back to the hotel. So they are doing just as you wisely suggest.

Can somebody help me with Riyadh being 10th for " nightlife touring " as I'm not at all sure what it means and probably not what I am thinking ?

I don't see Saudi as being a tourist place except for Muslims and on a recent BBC " Fast Track " programme they said tourist visas were not the easiest things to get presumably meaning for non-Muslims. We're not allowed to visit Mecca.

It sure didn't include a bottle of wine!

My mate in Angeles City tells me the quality of the wildlife there is far superior to Pattaya. Is he lying I wonder?

However, I don't think the Philippines is noted as a gourmet destination. Food, that is.

Depends who you are talking to rolleyes.gif

Realistic price breakdown for the average lowlife like me.

1. 2 star hotel in Hwai Kwang 600 baht

2. MRT to Soi cowboy (and back) 50 baht

3. Random street food 300 baht

4. Overpriced beer on Soi Cowboy 120 baht per bottle

5. Lady drinks 170 baht

6. Lady drinks for her 'sister' 170 baht

so, one round of drinks is around 500 baht with tip.

7. Barfine 600 baht

8. ST for lady 2,000-2,500 for a looker

9. Crappy st room with inevitable drinks, 400 baht

10. dinner and a movie for two 1,000 baht

So, that 5,000 range will get you minimal drinking, but will get you laid, food, sleep, and even a movie. Not bad.

15,000 seems to be a really fun night out. Partying on a budget gets to be a drag.

Samui (depending where you are) Lady for night Bht 1000 to Bht 1500. Barfine 200 to 300 bht. lady drink Bht 80 to Bht 120. Bungalow with a/c bht 600 fan bht 500. Noodle stall bht 40 to bht 50.... Khao Phat gung/moo/gai plus bottle beer Bht 100 (maenam)

Go South young man ....go south !

• Like 1

My mate in Angeles City tells me the quality of the wildlife there is far superior to Pattaya. Is he lying I wonder?

However, I don't think the Philippines is noted as a gourmet destination. Food, that is.

Angeles, and the PI in general, have loads of wildlife available, all speaking some English and all very hungry to be snared by the falang--or Cano, as the Filipinas say. Think of how many Filipino restaurants you see around the world and you'll have some idea of the culinary delights. However, the alcohol and tobacco are much cheaper--San Miguel Beer and Tanduay Rum are very good value, less than a US$/drink in many places --but hotels and public transport are less attractive at similar prices. Infrastructure, toilets, and corruption make it look exemplary here. All in all; makes a good hunting trip.
  • Like 1

Can somebody help me with Riyadh being 10th for " nightlife touring " as I'm not at all sure what it means and probably not what I am thinking ?

I don't see Saudi as being a tourist place except for Muslims and on a recent BBC " Fast Track " programme they said tourist visas were not the easiest things to get presumably meaning for non-Muslims. We're not allowed to visit Mecca.

I don't see Saudi as being a tourist place except for Muslims and on a recent BBC " Fast Track " programme they said tourist visas were not the easiest things to get presumably meaning for non-Muslims. We're not allowed to visit Mecca.riyadh

I thought it must be a mistake. I lived in Riyadh for 3 years and not only is it expensive, mixed couples are still banned in public, mixed meaning sexes unless married. So if you want to go out for a great meal and atmosphere, Riyadh is great, but no girls or booze, only men and coffee. If caught with a western woman, they will harass you, if caught with a muslim woman, they will talk about punishment and body parts. Westerner can only go to Mecca during the Hadj and if they are or profess to convert to Islam. But on the brighter side, they have open gay cruising areas.

And a bottle of wine there???