US envoy in Phuket talks about tourist safety

webfact

US envoy in Phuket talks about tourist safety
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1371029661_1.jpg
Gov Maitree wais to United States Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney.

PHUKET: -- United States Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney today visited Phuket’s police chief and governor on a flying one-day trip to the island.

After meeting with Governor Maitree Intusut she explained, “I came to meet the Governor and Vice-Governor [sommai Preechsilpa to talk about] how we can work together.”

She said that the main topic in her discussions with the governor and Police Chief Choti Chavalviwat had been the safety of tourists.

“I want to make sure that Phuket is safe for tourists, so that they can come here without fear, can enjoy the beaches and not worry.

“There are always areas that can be improved. We have had some problems in the past with scams – jet-skis and motorbikes. Hopefully, the situation will continue to improve.”

Asked about the recent problems with the shuttle bus for American sailors from the carrier USS Nimitz, she replied diplomatically, “We worked out a solution. I think you will see more ships coming here. Any problems will be solved.”

After the official meetings, she went on to visit the Baan Chinpracha mansion in Phuket Town and Satree Phuket School.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/us-envoy-in-phuket-talks-about-tourist-safety-40073.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-06-12

If they met in America, would she hold out her hand to shake his?

Yes.

Well she should know better than to meet 'dignitaries' in any country in a short sleeve outfit.

• Like 1

Just another opportunity for a photo publicity session for Phuket local authorities...No mention substance or resolution to any of the other problems of extortion and scams that continually operate on a day to day basis on the island!!coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Well lets see here we have the USA giving advice on something they cannot manage in their own country. Next the USA will be giving financial advice to other countries. Heck I guess they are already do that as being the example of what not to do.

Well lets see here we have the USA giving advice on something they cannot manage in their own country. Next the USA will be giving financial advice to other countries. Heck I guess they are already do that as being the example of what not to do.

You are absolutely right... USA has always had a hard time with Thai people with jet ski and motorbike scams on USA soil... The US should defently manage that problem in their own country.

• Like 2

Just another opportunity for a photo publicity session for Phuket local authorities...No mention substance or resolution to any of the other problems of extortion and scams that continually operate on a day to day basis on the island!!coffee1.gif

+1

If they met in America, would she hold out her hand to shake his?

Yes.

Well she should know better than to meet 'dignitaries' in any country in a short sleeve outfit.

Actually looks sleeveless, and that costume jewelry looks like she was dressed by children.

• Like 1

Goshdarnit! You're right. I'd never noticed the taxi mafias, police bribes, tourist murders, and brazen scams in the US before you pointed them out to me.

• Like 1

I guess we cannot really know what was said or if anything of import was actually said. The media mention problems with the Motorbike and Jet Skis scams in the past which seems to infer they are history - if that is truly what she said then maybe she is ill informed. It seems she wishes to wash over the problems with transport - so the transport guys can look forward to another chance for outrageous profit from the servicemen the US sends here.

From her meeting with the Governor (not reported in this story), I see she is praising the police in Phuket. Well, knowing what goes on with the police in Phuket and the never ending stories of the involvement with the police with corruption and the like, it seems pretty clear to me that this particular US Ambassador is clueless and living in la la land.

Of course it may just be poor reporting and she actually took the Governor to task about all the issues and the press were not in earshot. Phuket is one of the most corrupt places I have ever come across and along with Ko Samui will destroy its reputation - that which it has left.

She does at least appreciate the concrete buildings beautifying the island!

Geez!!

Oh I forgot - she is a spineless diplomat - say nothing bad - do nothing good - keep up appearances. At least the Chinese Ambassador seems to be breaking the mould!

Edited by timewilltell
  • Like 1

The American Ambassador flies to Phuket to speak to the local government about actual, serious problems effecting tourists in the city and some "people" here at Thai Visa can think of nothing else than to criticize her dress and her jewelry and harp about America giving advice to Thailand. I don't know what her perfectly acceptable attire has to do with crime in Phuket,if you read read the article it said nothing about giving advice to anyone. The Ambassador stressed that they are WORKING TOGETHER... Please grow up or better yet, get a job and a life.

CORRECT,,anyway her going to phuket,just lets them know that other countries know whats going on,without even saying to much,thats why shes called a DIPLOMAT, do you get it yet,,

The American Ambassador flies to Phuket to speak to the local government about actual, serious problems effecting tourists in the city and some "people" here at Thai Visa can think of nothing else than to criticize her dress and her jewelry and harp about America giving advice to Thailand. I don't know what her perfectly acceptable attire has to do with crime in Phuket,if you read read the article it said nothing about giving advice to anyone. The Ambassador stressed that they are WORKING TOGETHER... Please grow up or better yet, get a job and a life.

Nothing new there. It's what TV'ers do best. coffee1.gif

She is a diplomat ... No matter what is said behind closed doors, in public she will always make positive comments about how she is so happy that the Thai authorities are willing to continue to work together to help solve these problems ...

So no surprise there... What would be interesting to know is the real discussion behind closed doors, as doubt she would fly down to Phuket just for a photo op and to say what was in the press release

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

She is a diplomat ... No matter what is said behind closed doors, in public she will always make positive comments about how she is so happy that the Thai authorities are willing to continue to work together to help solve these problems ...

So no surprise there... What would be interesting to know is the real discussion behind closed doors, as doubt she would fly down to Phuket just for a photo op and to say what was in the press release

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

The Chinese Ambassador's biting comments were reported so why should she be any different.Seems she has very little idea about what happens on Phuket if she refer to the scams as in the past.Or not very well briefed

WORKING TOGETHER... does that mean she is in on the scams then?

According to the other Gazette article all she did was kowtow and tell them they are not to blame as things were out of their control.

We have had some problems in the past with scams – jet-skis and motorbikes. In the past? Oh, you mean yesterday, and the day before, and the day before, etc., etc.?

Hopefully, the situation will continue to improve.” I guess she means no one was scammed or threatened with beating, knives and guns while she was there.

They give advice to every country, all the time, on nearly every topic. That is what they do. The reality is, that the US government has not really come to terms with the fact that their influence has diminished. Not to say, they are not important. Being the world's largest economy, with the world's most powerful military gives you some rights. But, it has been since 2000 that the country has had an effective leader. Bush and Obama were, and are both neophytes, and incompetent. Neither have any idea of what competent governance is. Shame for the nation. Many of us had great expectations for blundering Barry. What a disappointment he has been. Not that there were any alternatives. Choosing between them was a bit akin to choosing between a $35 Chicago street whore, and a $45 Boston street whore. Who do you choose? Tough choice! So, now the country has diminishing influence, and on top of that a leader who preaches the rule of law, and the benefits of democracy and openness, then engages in a very secretive form of governance. Who buys it? Very few countries these days. The US is simply tolerated, but little more. And I say this as an American.

They give advice to every country, all the time, on nearly every topic. That is what they do. The reality is, that the US government has not really come to terms with the fact that their influence has diminished. Not to say, they are not important. Being the world's largest economy, with the world's most powerful military gives you some rights. But, it has been since 2000 that the country has had an effective leader. Bush and Obama were, and are both neophytes, and incompetent. Neither have any idea of what competent governance is. Shame for the nation. Many of us had great expectations for blundering Barry. What a disappointment he has been. Not that there were any alternatives. Choosing between them was a bit akin to choosing between a $35 Chicago street whore, and a $45 Boston street whore. Who do you choose? Tough choice! So, now the country has diminishing influence, and on top of that a leader who preaches the rule of law, and the benefits of democracy and openness, then engages in a very secretive form of governance. Who buys it? Very few countries these days. The US is simply tolerated, but little more. And I say this as an American.

If you were in The States, you would probably be arrested for terrorism for a post like that. :) :) :) :)

Actually looks sleeveless, and that costume jewelry looks like she was dressed by children.

The staple of most politicians is not knowing how to dress themselves properly. Its quite possible her kids helped inspire that necklace.

Isn't it great that the super power of the world considers it appropriate to abandon it's citizens, that must pay tax, and think it more appropriate to be nice to the taxi and tuk tuk mafia.

yy

If oil was involved I imagine there would be an invasion by now but as it is only tuk tuk and jetski mafia and not millions dollars a week then it doesn't really matter.

Quite pathetic of the US govt to keep abandoning their citizens. But they aren't the only govt abandoning their citizens.

Oh, I for one have NO problem with her dress or accessories... Who cares? LOL "Working together"?? Oh yes, I'm sure the ambassador has been most intimately involved in the Phuket crime problem. ROFL You telling someone here, because they disagree with what she had to say about Phuket, and the "situation continuing to improve", to grow up & get a job ?? Oh, you mean a job like working for Obama?? ROFLMAO

If you were in The States, you would probably be arrested for terrorism for a post like that. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Yes, and thankfully I am not in the states. One can get arrested for even critiicizing the president now. And to think we used to have something resembling freedom of the press. Not under this president. Last I heard, it was still ok in a "democracy" to criticize a leader. Sorry if the criticism of Obama offended you. Most of my friends, who are fellow democrats do not like to hear it either. However, I am not one of his apologists.