Reading in Bangkok?

Filipplenoir

Students 'reading' proscribed text books must push this number up. Vietnam: 20 books a year I believe.

You ever see a Thai's house with a stacked book case? Me neither.

I had to wait 12 hours at Morchit recently (I can't read timetables!) walking around I saw nobody reading all day.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Most of us have gone digital old boy.

I have no physical books, but read 3-5 a week.

Sure, Sure, easier to download and read. But I don't see them READING ! Paper, or e-books... not reading!!! for crying outloud!

You keep interpreting what everyone's saying as if they are trying to claim that Thais do read a lot, no one is claiming that. Just as you're not claiming that "All Thais read nothing" or even "All Thais hardly read" or "Most Thais read nothing", which are obviously not true.

What exactly is it that you ARE claiming here?

My dear old Mum even reads her beloved novels on her kindle nowadays. She just downloads them all online. She's adapted well to the digital age we live in. My Dad on the other hand still loves things like vinyl records and books printed on real paper. These days there's so much entertainment out there, books seem quite boring compared to other things.

-

I disagree, have always read at least 4-5 books a week no matter how many wonderful other entertainments there may be.

Come to think of it that was my first addiction. . .

Look, I agree with you. But go ask a 15 year old what they're doing tonight? Not reading books.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Look, I agree with you. But go ask a 15 year old what they're doing tonight? Not reading books.

It's just relative, not absolute.

None of my classmates read to the extent I did, some barely at all.

I probably have read relatively too much, time better spent in productive action rather than recreation and learning.

I don't believe anyone is claiming anything other than the obvious truth that on average Thais do read much less than westerners, and much less than they should.

It remains also true that some Thais do read a lot, a few as much as I did.

WRT the OP, the point of the "award" is to encourage increasing the habit, not claiming that such campaigns have been effective.