Acorn

ciaociao

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks the same as Shenanigans, which was a beautiful venue. Had a couple of cocktails. After owning a restaurant for many years, I noticed that the gentleman that was pointed out as the owner, sitting at the bar, drinking with his friends. Any restaurant, especially a new one, needs an owner that is actively involved every moment in its possible success. If it is treated as just a place for him to be with his friends for drinks, it will not be successful. If he steps up and treats it like a business, he will be better off. I am sure that it is a huge investment, and it is going to take a lot of long hours to fill up this huge space. Just attracting people up the stairs is a project in something to work on.

I only post this to possibly help them, and wish them the best.

Looks the same as Shenanigans, which was a beautiful venue. Had a couple of cocktails. After owning a restaurant for many years, I noticed that the gentleman that was pointed out as the owner, sitting at the bar, drinking with his friends. Any restaurant, especially a new one, needs an owner that is actively involved every moment in its possible success. If it is treated as just a place for him to be with his friends for drinks, it will not be successful. If he steps up and treats it like a business, he will be better off. I am sure that it is a huge investment, and it is going to take a lot of long hours to fill up this huge space. Just attracting people up the stairs is a project in something to work on.

I only post this to possibly help them, and wish them the best.

[ I hope this restaurant will be a good addition for the ex-pat community.

Edited by Rimmer
Quotes

Been there once with my family and some friends just after they opened.

Manager came over to say hello and pointed out the kids area in the back room for our youngsters,

Food was well priced (cheaper) compared to the old place there and large portions.

Do they have ++? 10% service charge and 7% vat? Most tourists are not wise to the ++ rip off. Most ex-pats avoid restaurants with ++.
  • Like 1

They + 7% gov vat. no service charge though.
I think that most of the staff are the same as when it was shenanigans. They have basically put a "The Acorn" sticker over anything that said shenanigans, it still feels like it did when it was shenanigans but the staff seemed to be slightly more on the ball than before...

They have a really good kids play area out of the way of the main bar.
They do a fairly cheap breakfast menu (120 baht for 2 crumpets with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon) which I thought was very cheap tasted good but the crumpets needed more butter

They serve Mokador coffee ( good coffee )
​The place is definitely worth a visit. I will go back next time im in the area.

They + 7% gov vat. no service charge though.

I think that most of the staff are the same as when it was shenanigans. They have basically put a "The Acorn" sticker over anything that said shenanigans, it still feels like it did when it was shenanigans but the staff seemed to be slightly more on the ball than before...

They have a really good kids play area out of the way of the main bar.

They do a fairly cheap breakfast menu (120 baht for 2 crumpets with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon) which I thought was very cheap tasted good but the crumpets needed more butter

They serve Mokador coffee ( good coffee )

​The place is definitely worth a visit. I will go back next time im in the area.

Thank you for the post. I will stop for a drink and meal.

Stopped by last week with the kids, had a late lunch after doing their

passports at the avenue.

I recognized the server from Manahttens, we had a small chat, he said

it's the same owner.

The Chilli I had appeared a bit watered down, but otherwise the food

was ok.

luudee

Took the family to dinner here tonight as I had a freeplayo reward for 1000thb.

The food was enjoyable. My kids loved the play area and so did the adults since it kept the little ones occupied and we could enjoy our meal while still keeping an eye on them. Kids loved the food as well. The prices are fair and there was no ++ added to our bill. The menu prices are what we were charged.

We'll be returning for another night out with the kids.

The food was enjoyable. My kids loved the play area and so did the adults since it kept the little ones occupied and we could enjoy our meal while still keeping an eye on them. Kids loved the food as well. The prices are fair and there was no ++ added to our bill. The menu prices are what we were charged.

good review, jayman........

i have a voucher too Jayman

how do you go about redeeming it?

• Like 1

I just printed out the claim form and handed it to the waiter before ordering. When I received the bill, they deducted 1000thb from it. Was very hassle free. Much easier than some other restaurants that offer freeplayo rewards.

Thanks for the warning re:kids.

Shall avoid it like the plague.

The kids area is completely in the back separated from the main dinning area and bar. The main dining area and bar has a pool table and is very much kid free. That's what's nice about the setup is that they actually have tables in the kids area for families with kids so the kids can play and the parents can keep an eye on them but that shouldn't disturb the other guests in the restaurant/bar.

I just printed out the claim form and handed it to the waiter before ordering. When I received the bill, they deducted 1000thb from it. Was very hassle free. Much easier than some other restaurants that offer freeplayo rewards.

Thanks for the warning re:kids.

Shall avoid it like the plague.

The kids area is completely in the back separated from the main dinning area and bar. The main dining area and bar has a pool table and is very much kid free. That's what's nice about the setup is that they actually have tables in the kids area for families with kids so the kids can play and the parents can keep an eye on them but that shouldn't disturb the other guests in the restaurant/bar.

thanks Jayman

i will give it a go tomorrow i think

no need to book or anything i guess?

thanks Jayman

Nope..

I think they have daily specials so ask about them as well as Sunday might be a carvery.

ps.. quotes function is all messed up

Edited by Jayman

thanks Jayman

Nope..

I think they have daily specials so ask about them as well as Sunday might be a carvery.

ps.. quotes function is all messed up

Surely no one can eat a whole child even on a Sunday Carvery????

• Like 1

so armed with my freeplayo voucher for 1000 baht and Jayman's excellent advise, the wife and i decided to head down to Acorn

we never went here when it was shenanigans so my view of it will be of a first timer

we arrived about 6-30 and parked the car easily on the second floor of the Avenue multi storey, walked across the gantry and was met at the door by the owner.

he welcomed us warmly and in we went

it was quite busy but a server found us a nice table near the window,

i presented the freeplayo voucher with some trepidation as i have had problems before at another place (ay caramba !)

but not here, the lady manager came over, asked me to sign the voucher and it was game on!

we ordered drinks that were delivered promptly

we were given very stylish and clear menus

big selection of food on offer

we went for two prawn cocktails

then for mains a pork chop and a gammon steak

the food arrived in good time

the prawn cocktail was served on a plate

it was huge, you would never have got it in the traditional glass!

my wife thought a little too much sauce was applied but you could not criticize the amount and size of the prawns on the plate

so that was a great start

once done the girls came and cleared , tidied up my mess, asked about more drinks and disappeared very efficiently

(i hate hovering)

the mains arrived a few minutes later

two good sized pieces of gammon with a perfectly cooked fried egg on top

my wife's plate was filled with a huge pork chop

best of all though was the potatoes

we had asked about the roasties or chips that were offered

we both went for chips but when it came they had added a few roasties as well

that was a nice touch, delicious too, thank you waiting staff for paying attention

we passed on dessert as we were both stuffed

overall the food was excellent

the service was great

the ambiance was excellent

the charismatic Mr Upton and Mr Tony provided wonderful entertainment - thanks Guys

we even got free parking with a validated slip!

we will certainly go again very soon

probably to the carvery they were promoting on Sundays

we will have to pay full price next time but based on the food we had last night we will be very happy to do so

i can only wish them good luck

its not easy to get customers upstairs to a venue but i can assure anyone thinking about it, its well worth making the climb

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the Sunday carvery yesterday and was very impressed. 350 baht each with decent selection of meats - two beef, pork, chicken and ham. There was also roast lamb at an extra charge of 75 baht which was excellent as well.

nice selection of vegetables. roast and mashed potatoes, cauliflower cheese also two soups and three salads. The only thing i could be slightly critical of were the yorkshire puddings which I found a bit hard.

Service was top notch and my daughter really enjoyed herself in the play area which, as has been mentioned, is seperated from the main area so wouldn't annoy the GOM.

I used a freeplayo voucher so even with a spagetti bolognese for my daughter and drinks all I had to leave was a tip.

Will certainly be going back.

• Like 1

I stopped by only to look at the menu.

I was impressed by the menu, a great range of British food but still a relatively small menu.

I'm suspicious of places with massive menus for obvious reasons.

They had two specials that day: roast chicken platter and beef stew platter, I think at 295 baht.

The Thai food menu looked appealing and well priced considering the venue.

Right now they have some kind of cider promotion for 50 baht a pint. Definitely interesting.

Overall, I got a great vibe about the place and was greeted very warmly even though I was just checking it out.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Then went to Tavern On the Bay, part of the Amari Orchid. Scratch that off the list as well for Sunday morning breakfast. They host the Expats Club every Sunday morning. No place to sit inside and complete waste of time unless you need to listen to that drivel!

• 2 months later...