Shutter!

Taking a photo from light to dark.... prob the reason. Where was the shot taken?

taken inside the cave in Laos, Tham Jung at Vang Vieng.

i should have shot it more, but the atmosphere in that area was a bit spooky&scary, so i left!

the white smoke appeared only to these 2 photos.

but probably it's just camera's mistaken

Lens or lens filter condensation perhaps. Did you just bring your camera out from air conditioned car and remove the lens cap immediately before you took this photo? Sometimes this can happen when I put the lens cap in my chest pocket when I'm soaked in sweat and put the lens cap back on the lens after shooting, you'll find the lens or the lens filter surface condensing with vapor when you remove the lens cap again. Although it might look more hazy than in this picture with lens condensing. Was it hot in the cave? Or humid?

Taking a photo from light to dark.... prob the reason. Where was the shot taken?

taken inside the cave in Laos, Tham Jung at Vang Vieng.

i should have shot it more, but the atmosphere in that area was a bit spooky&scary, so i left!

the white smoke appeared only to these 2 photos.

but probably it's just camera's mistaken

GFB - any history behind the cave? Mind you most caves give you a sense of unease/dread.

certainly looks spooky , but with most spooky looking things there is a logical explanation.

my logical explanation is that , firstly i assume the photo was taken on a digital camera and if so then the strange white "smoke "as you call it and that only appears over the areas of low light , is in fact digital noise.

its what happens when the camera tries to compensate for low light conditions , i'm not sure exactly of the science behind digital noise.

but the cameras' exposure system tries to make the dark areas lighter by digitally altering the darkness it records.

and the results can be grey or coloured dots in the dark areas , although yours doesnt look like typical "noise"

i also thought condensation at first , but the "noise"only affects the dark areas.

did the cameras flash go off in the first of those two shots?

what type of camera is it?

what focal length were you using (e.g. telephoto or not )?

i'm intrigued.

Edited by taxexile

But the round, vapor looking thing is definitely not the digital noise.

And if the flash was used apparently as it has been in these two shots, the camera will not automatically raise the ISO to compensate for the low light (thus the high noise) even if it has been configured to do so in the low light condition. And digital noise from the high sensitivity will affect the entire frame, not just the low light, dim area. I think the white smoky thing is actually all over the frame but more visible against the dark background.

What I don't understand is why it looks like it was shot through a screen.

Edited by Nordlys

the plot thickens !!

if you look closely at the spherical white blobs , especially in the first shot , you can see a lot of blue/green spots , typical of digital noise , in there.

depending on the camera and the software it uses to process the image , wont only the dark areas be affected by noise ??

if its a cave , maybe there is a lot of water dripping from the roof , or the roof of the cave is wet , and the flash is reflecting and dispersing off the water droplets.

maybe its just a memory card glitch , or one off processing fault , that went away after the camera was turned off.

digital stuff can often play up like that , (especially when there are ghosts around !! )

Edited by taxexile

Maybe it could depend on a camera like you said, but I've never experienced anything like this so far with seven digital cameras I've owned. With cameras I have, high noise usually means grainy shot. And that spherical white blob looks too big for a grain.

I've also thought about flash light reflecting on dripping water. But then it looks like there's a lot of water dripping in the area right in front of the camera and nowhere else. I've also thought of flash reflecting on fog-like dense moisture in the cave but then the objects in the distance appear sharp enough and it doesn't look that hazy.

Lens or lens filter condensation perhaps. Did you just bring your camera out from air conditioned car and remove the lens cap immediately before you took this photo? Sometimes this can happen when I put the lens cap in my chest pocket when I'm soaked in sweat and put the lens cap back on the lens after shooting, you'll find the lens or the lens filter surface condensing with vapor when you remove the lens cap again. Although it might look more hazy than in this picture with lens condensing. Was it hot in the cave? Or humid?

it's quite humid inside the cave,

i show u some more shots for comparison

the first new one was just taken right before those 2 smoky shots, next to that darky hideaway

the others were the atmosphere inside the cave

one was the flash reflection that i intended

the another 2 were also the shots that the white smoky circles appeared

and no air-con matters

neither about removing the len cap immediately

post-3501-1143732122_thumb.jpg

post-3501-1143732181_thumb.jpg

post-3501-1143732235_thumb.jpg

post-3501-1143732279_thumb.jpg

post-3501-1143732337_thumb.jpg

post-3501-1143732390_thumb.jpg

GFB - any history behind the cave? Mind you most caves give you a sense of unease/dread.

YAH!

the history + the darkness + the slightly wind blew all chilled me dreadfully!

if u notice, there's a sign said that no entry beyond that area

it's awfully dark, and i could feel the air passing from there

so i guess it could probably reach to the way out of the other side

but none dares to adventure!

Nothing unusual with these pictures and nothing to indicate why the first two pictures turned out as they appear... P1010411.jpg has flare in the photo which is consistent with the reflection on lens element you get when you have a strong light source in the frame.

I have no valid explanation for the first two photos.... but however unusual it looks, it doesn't look as spooky and hair-raising as some of the pictures I accidentally shot many years ago in US.... :o

Edited by Nordlys

certainly looks spooky , but with most spooky looking things there is a logical explanation.

my logical explanation is that , firstly i assume the photo was taken on a digital camera and if so then the strange white "smoke "as you call it and that only appears over the areas of low light , is in fact digital noise.

its what happens when the camera tries to compensate for low light conditions , i'm not sure exactly of the science behind digital noise.

but the cameras' exposure system tries to make the dark areas lighter by digitally altering the darkness it records.

and the results can be grey or coloured dots in the dark areas , although yours doesnt look like typical "noise"

i also thought condensation at first , but the "noise"only affects the dark areas.

did the cameras flash go off in the first of those two shots?

what type of camera is it?

what focal length were you using (e.g. telephoto or not )?

i'm intrigued.

my digital camera is LUMIX LX1

model: PANASONIC DMC-LX1

i also think it could be the matter of the typical "noise"

but u know..

i also believe in those kinds of spirits or "invisible" being and its existence

so there're many possibilities, maybe :o

http://ja.wikipedia.org/upload/e/e0/Sin.JPG

I just found this link which shows a picture of ghost.... supposedly (from Wikipedia), ring a bell? :D:D

SCREAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMM :o

u have also the narrative of this shot?

It says it was shot just this month, March 11th, 2006, whereabout unknown but probably in Japan, as this is from Japanese Wikipedia. The photographer who contributed this photo says he first though it was stain on the lens, but later thought there are too many strange orbs for a lens stain. Interesting to note, the photographer also used flash to take this shot (according to the file data of this photo). It also says these "orbs" tend to appear when shooting near water (pond, waterfall, etc.). Waterfalls are often considered haunted spot in Japan as many people choose these locations for a place to commit suicide (by jumping into waterfall basin). :D

It says it was shot just this month, March 11th, 2006, whereabout unknown but probably in Japan, as this is from Japanese Wikipedia. The photographer who contributed this photo says he first though it was stain on the lens, but later thought there are too many strange orbs for a lens stain. Interesting to note, the photographer also used flash to take this shot (according to the file data of this photo). It also says these "orbs" tend to appear when shooting near water (pond, waterfall, etc.). Waterfalls are often considered haunted spot in Japan as many people choose these locations for a place to commit suicide (by jumping into waterfall basin). :o

umm..

could be spirits

could be the flash back (i also used the flash)

could be any reasons

the orb also appeared in other photos

and all with the dark background

but not so many like these 2

will show some more

maybe this curiosity will take me back to laos once again!

post-3501-1143786123_thumb.jpg

post-3501-1143786159_thumb.jpg

Edited by Girlfrombar

The Japanese Ghost shots confirm the other posters' conclusions.

Water droplets, from the spray at the waterfall,

or from condensation at the cave..............

It was certainly my first reaction when I saw the photo.

The shapes are spherical and out of focus...........

just like drops of water on the lens.

The Japanese Ghost shots confirm the other posters' conclusions.

Water droplets, from the spray at the waterfall,

or from condensation at the cave..............

It was certainly my first reaction when I saw the photo.

The shapes are spherical and out of focus...........

just like drops of water on the lens.

yah,

maybe it's molecule of dusts, waterdrops, blah blah that got formulated to the flash and condensation of the darkness

so no spiritual mass? :o

Well, whatever it is, that looks very similar to this shot at the link below that I found from the same site where I found waterfall picture link. Only this time it was shot at the cemetery. :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...utausmaalla.jpg

Maybe you should bring your camera to the temple and have monks do the blessing ceremony. :o

Well, whatever it is, that looks very similar to this shot at the link below that I found from the same site where I found waterfall picture link. Only this time it was shot at the cemetery. :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...utausmaalla.jpg

Maybe you should bring your camera to the temple and have monks do the blessing ceremony. :o

my camera goes everywhere from monk funeral.. monk blessing

i have 3 digital cameras anyway,

but thise LX-1 is quite spiritual capture so far :D

And it doesn't happen with your other cameras?

Only with Panasonic?

so far never,

my first camera is SONY DSC-S70, bought like 6 yrs ago since it was newly launched

(still in good condition and function)

the second is KONICA but it was a bit crappy, sent back to repair, and never get it return!