Mailing stuff to Thailand

Not sure if this is the appropriate section, but I couldn't figure out where to post. I want to ship some stuff from Europe (german bathroom fitting), but I am a bit hesitant.

What is the general experience when shipping to Thailand? Do you get hit with custom fees? If yes,is it based on declared value, or they come up with their own value?

Also, how safe is the process? Do the items have the tendency to "mysteriously" disappear?

Thanks

Door to door courier / shipping company will help ensure it arrives. If it goes into the local post system it could vanish.

Which will almost automatically guarantee that you will pay Custom Duties, not only on the merchandise but also VAT on the shipping. The local post system is very reliable and if you keep the declared value of the parcels under USD $100 you most likely will not pay any duty. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of how competent the Italian postal service is

Just do a search here at TV and you will read all of the horror stories of members that used UPS, DHL, and FEDEX and ended up paying more in fees than the items were worth, stick to the postal service

• Like 1

Door to door courier / shipping company will help ensure it arrives. If it goes into the local post system it could vanish.

Which will almost automatically guarantee that you will pay Custom Duties, not only on the merchandise but also VAT on the shipping. The local post system is very reliable and if you keep the declared value of the parcels under USD $100 you most likely will not pay any duty. Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of how competent the Italian postal service is

Just do a search here at TV and you will read all of the horror stories of members that used UPS, DHL, and FEDEX and ended up paying more in fees than the items were worth, stick to the postal service

Thanks. Looks like the UPS/FEDEX scam has spread all over the world. Lots of friends who shipped stuff from US into Canada got hit with outrageous brokerage and duty fees when using couriers. Never had problem when using US Postal Services.

As stated before, the Thai Postal system is well known for the disappearance of any item which feels "interesting", such as credit cards even sent in plain envelopes. My experience is that I receive about 50% of the post sent to me.

If you value your items stick with a well known courier or EMS.

Have had a number of parcels delivered safely by postal system from UK and US, agree that whether duty is charged at this end seems hit and miss. On the other hand I sent a parcel (in a Thai Post box) to UK by regular airmail about six weeks ago and it hasn't arrived yet.

Ditto on what LSM says above. Shipping anything of weight with the couriers like DHL UPS and FedEx is going to cost a fortune, and you'll almost certainly be hit with the cost of the shipping plus customs fees, VAT and insurance.

There are alternative international shipping methods, like Belgium Post Intl (BPI), TNT and your own home country's postal service that likely will be a far better deal.

I've had many many packages sent from my home country to Thailand, where they've been delivered by Thai Post in BKK. And I've rarely had any problem. And saved a fortune compared to the DHLs of the world, in the process.

I have had good experience sending by post. The key item is to send it by signature main eg. USPS Express Mail, EMS. Also have no/minimum Thai customs hassle when package sent by post. That's over the past 12 years here, about 2-4 packages per year, only one lost.

Over the last six years, I've probably had sent to me over 50 parcels thru Thai Post; never had any come up missing. It helps that my apartment building has a day time reception desk so no package is ever left unattended.

I find the service in my local Phra Khanong Post Office to be outstanding: numbered queue system, packing service and always helpful when assistance is required with Thai language forms. I wish my local PO in the USA was half as efficient.

Sawadi..... Kraaaaap!

So, I need my laptop (not new, repaired) sent out here plus a few textbooks.

The package weighs 12KG (yikes)

The UK Post Office (Parcel Force) is a MASSIVE RIP-OFF and if I never used them ever again it would too soon. Looking at websites it seems they are about 3 times more than FedEx and the rest.

So, given that this stuff is old and not new, I shouldn't have to pay the 20% import duty correct? Surely that is only on new items? Of course, having been in Thailand for a couple of months now, I am expecting the worst catastrophe imaginable.

I either pay something ludicrous like £350 to get it sent by Parcel Wank or I go with Fed Ex or someone.

Tell me something nice please.