Thailand, rebels agree to reduce violence during Ramadan

webfact

KUALA LUMPUR, June 14, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand and rebels from its Muslim-majority south agreed Thursday to scale back violence in the restive region during the holy Muslim fasting month of Ramadan starting in July.

Talks which began on March 28 have so far failed to end near-daily violence in the three provinces bordering Malaysia that has killed more than 5,500 in the past decade.

"In principle, both sides agreed on the reduction of violence during the holy month of Ramadan aimed at saving lives," said a press statement issued after the third round of talks in the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur.

"This is in accordance to the spirit of the month of Ramadan and as an expression of sincerity, goodwill and trust on the part of both parties."

The statement said further details on achieving "the desired violence-free situation" in the south would be provided later. The parties will only meet again after Ramadan, which will last from July 9 to August 7.

Thailand earlier Thursday, before the day-long talks, had expressed impatience at the continuing insurgent violence in the south.

Thai National Security Council chief Paradorn Pattanatabut, Bangkok's lead negotiator, told reporters he needed "concrete outcomes" to reduce the violence "so I can answer to the people".

Five Thai security personnel were killed in a fresh spate of gun and bomb attacks two weeks ago, which the government blamed on insurgents seeking to disrupt the fragile peace process.

Despite two rounds of peace talks since March, the bloodshed has raised questions over how much control rebel leaders have over radical militants.

The rebels had in April demanded "liberation" from the Thai kingdom and made a series of demands. But Paradorn has insisted that discussions are not about autonomy but about local administration.

The statement issued after the talks said the rebel group Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) would provide "detailed clarifications" on the five demands they previously made.

The Thai government will respond "at the earliest possible date", it said. The statement gave no further details.

Thai authorities had floated the idea of handing some local decision-making to the provinces dominated by ethnic Malay Muslims. But Paradorn had said the issue was unlikely to come up in this round.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-06-14

I'm not big on religion and hypocrisy like this is why where killing etc. is to be put on hold because of a month's religious needs after which it's back into it. It would be nice if peace could be addressed as a long term commitment and I don't accept the suggestion this could be a start.

One thing will come out of this though and that will be to show just how much control and authority, or otherwise, the BRN has.

• Like 1

I'm not big on religion and hypocrisy like this is why where killing etc. is to be put on hold because of a month's religious needs after which it's back into it. It would be nice if peace could be addressed as a long term commitment and I don't accept the suggestion this could be a start.

One thing will come out of this though and that will be to show just how much control and authority, or otherwise, the BRN has.

Its a bit like the great war the (first world war), don't you think? Party together on the 25th of December and start killing each other on the 26th December

Yes but it didn't happen again in subsequent years. I'm not sure if this Ramadan ceasefire was agreed in the past and if it held. Can anyone help ?

""In principle, both sides agreed on the reduction of violence during the holy month of Ramadan aimed at saving lives,""

Both sides agreed it would be nice to have less violence. So in principle nothing really has been accomplished. Also it almost sounds like an implicit statement that Thailand is partly guilty of the violence. Maybe something lost in translation?

How very kind and generous of these terrorists. I am sure that will make everybody feel much better.thumbsup.gif

Yeah, they've got eleven months to blow the sh!!ter out the place.

It seems like the security forces have a month then to go around and pick up all these ba****ds while they are asleep in their beds all day, because that's all that happens during Ramadan.

I understand that part of the deal is that the security forces will lay off pro-active operations but I'll bet many of the insurgents will take the chance to re-supply etc. providing they observe the ceasefire that is.

• Like 2

It seems like the security forces have a month then to go around and pick up all these ba****ds while they are asleep in their beds all day, because that's all that happens during Ramadan.

I understand that part of the deal is that the security forces will lay off pro-active operations but I'll bet many of the insurgents will take the chance to re-supply etc. providing they observe the ceasefire that is.

Almost guaranteed that resupply will be the order of the day!

• Like 2

Its a bit like the great war the (first world war), don't you think? Party together on the 25th of December and start killing each other on the 26th December

Yes but it didn't happen again in subsequent years. I'm not sure if this Ramadan ceasefire was agreed in the past and if it held. Can anyone help ?

I recall last year their was a committment by BRN, but was ignored by the Juwae. As stated in the OP, agreement is in principal only, yet to be formally agreed by Thai authorities. If the agreement goes ahead it will test whether this time round BRN can actually make any difference with the approx nine armed insurgent groups.

A ceasfire was acheived during the Iraq/Iran war (est 1m killed) during Ramadan, believe it was a one off event.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

Thailand should borrow a tactic from the arabs that launched the 1973 middle east war: Launch a surprise attack on the holiest day of the year of their targets.

While sleeping XXX lie, neuter them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battles_fought_during_Ramadan_by_Muslims

Edited by ratcatcher

Thailand should borrow a tactic from the arabs that launched the 1973 middle east war: Launch a surprise attack on the holiest day of the year of their targets.

While sleeping dogs lie, neuter them.

Let's stay away from inflammatory remarks about the religion in general.

While sleeping dogs lie, neuter them.

Let's stay away from inflammatory remarks about the religion in general.

Agreed. I have edited my post.

However, had the subject been perhaps, Burmese or Cambodians or Christians etc, would the same rule apply.

Islam, and the mention of it, has become a very sensitive issue worldwide.

The discussion of the religion in the context of what is happening in the south is, IMO, on topic. The discussion of Islam in general, especially inflammatory statements, with no particular reference to the situation in Thailand contravenes the forum rules, including this one:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Posters are certainly welcome to express their opinion, just use some discretion in what and how you say it.

• Like 2

From a strictly military viewpoint, I see no reason to accept either a ceasefire of reduction in hostilities. Religion is used by the separatists as a morale booster, why should they be allowed a break when adherence becomes a liability? When your enemy shows weakness, that is the time to exert maximum effort. Extending the effort to the end of month celebrations and denying them participation with family should be a major morale reducer.

Political considerations allow that a reduction in violence might lead to a continuation, but as the rebels show no sign of interest in peace talks, that would seem to be a vain hope.

It's insane. Does the civilian population get to ask for a break from hostilities? Since when do you fight terrorism by a calendar?

A problem for people in the South during Ramadan is that some areas have a curfew and people tend to do their eating into the night.

I wonder if the Thai gov't will be easing up on some of the restrictions.

Makes me think of Tet offensive in VN war.... May I suggest that leaders and followers use this break in the action to go read their holy books or whatever and perhaps realise that neither of the two major religions in this mess condones killing of innocents. Insane of me to suggest, but killing in the name of "religion of peace" is like fornicating for virginity (as we also used to say... but not fornicating... you know..).

Army to wind down security efforts during Ramadan

BANGKOK, 14 June 2013 (NNT) - The Royal Thai army is set to reduce security presence in the far South after the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) group agreed to cease all violent activities during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

The tentative agreement was reached during the third round of peace talks in Kuala Lumpur on Thursday.

According to Fourth Army region commander General Sakol Chuentrakul, the army will scale back security efforts, but will maintain its patrolling duties in southern border provinces during the holy month.

Soldiers and army personnel are set to continue to offer protection for villagers and community leaders participating in religious activities.

General Sakol voiced his belief that the collaborative move is not indicative of the government giving ground in the ongoing negotiations but should be seen as a way for insurgents to honour Ramadan by desisting from the shootings and bombings that have plagued the Deep South since 2004.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-06-14 footer_n.gif

"The Royal Thai army is set to reduce security presence in the far South after the Barisan Revolusi Nasional (BRN) group agreed to cease all violent activities during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan."

After the first news on the BRN talks around the Bangkok governor election time some misguided terrorist factions got violent seemingly as a show that BRN has no control over them. With the BRN now possibly agreeing to 'cease all violent activities' we get into more wishful thinking. If violence decreases for the Ramadan it might have nothing to do with BRN. IMHO

• Like 1

With all due respects

for peace

for religious beliefs

for no violence

I must ask once again - "Why give anything to these 'people' so short term and so needed to them?"

From position of weakness? bah.gif

We give them a hand, they will take an arm... And they will have 11 months to do so...

Weak and stupid!

• Like 1