Transferring a visa from an old passport to a new passport

Hi Guys,

Just came back from Immigration ( Rayong ) yesterday, after trying to transfer an existing visa form an old passport to a new passport, only to be refused as I did not have the relevant document from my embassy stating that the old passport had been raplaced and rquesting that the visa be transferred.

The guys at immigration provide an example letter to demonstrate the format of what is required.

Edited by lopburi3
Delete personal information attachment.

You mean they trasferrred your existing permission to stay stamps, visa's are not transferred to new PP's. I assume you talking about a British PP ?.....the last time I transferred my stamps over the the BE never provided a letter, but this wasnt a problem, at least in BKK.

I am pretty sure Hong kong dosnt supply a letter and think immigration know this, but maybe Rayong dont know this ?

You will need to get a letter from your embassy. Although some offices have been reported as accepting a receipt for the new passport.

If British passport there have been a couple of reports of the embassy mailing them when requested.

Edited by ubonjoe

The OP's experience was totally different to mine when I went along to Rayong Immigration a few months ago for the purpose of transferring my existing permission of stay stamps from my old to new British passports. Although I had armed myself with the necessary Embassy letter just in case, I wasn't asked for it in the event.

On the other hand, they didn't like the A5 copies of my old and new passports which I had brought along with me, and insisted that I provided A4 ones instead - which, fortunately, my wife was able to obtain for me there and then!

A blank example of the Embassy letter - for which, incidentally, there is no charge - is attached for the OP's benefit. As stated by ubonjoe, the Embassy might, exceptionally, be prepared to issue the letter by post, as they did in my case after I had pleaded to them that a 320-km round trip to Bangkok from Rayong solely for the purpose of obtaining it in person in accordance with their standard procedures would inevitably result in considerable inconvenience and expense for me.

post-63387-0-32075500-1371195711_thumb.j

The same happened to me last month. I posted the fact in a different thread.they requested a letter up and until then didn't even know of such a requirement. It was in rayong.

Maybe I was just lucky. But this does highlight the problem of inconsistent practices within the same office (rather than between different offices as has been documented countless times on TV already). According to other threads I've seen recently, Jomtien are another office who speak with forked tongue on this particular issue as well. Any other examples?

I did mine in Jomtien last month. No letter required, just both PP's fill in the form and copies of everything. Dropped it of one day picked it up the next day. I was in and out within five minutes both days.

I had a nightmare four years ago at Immigration Head Office in Bangkok. The British Embassy gave me instructions for transferring my visa so the day I picked my passport up I headed there.

The first department they sent me to told me that I needed to go to another department. Back down to reception and they sent me to another department. Once again I was told I needed another department. By the time I was sent to the correct department they told me to go back to Hat Yai to transfer my visa as they'd give me an extension of stay. Two-thirty in the afternoon and the next morning I was flying out at five-thirty.

After showing my ticket they reluctantly transferred my visa. Why the hell do they do this 5h1t? Tea money or just a general lack of motivation?

Never will I go through that again, I'll just run my visa out before leaving.

The British Embassy said they will no longer give such letters and apparently the Immigration department has confirmed no such letters are required. It the same old problem of Immigration officials making thier own rules in order to gain possible tea money.