Scoop: found real mayonnaise !

manarak

I am savouring the taste of victory: I found real mayonnaise in Pattaya.

Friendship supermarket sells mayonnaise of French brand "Maille".

Tastes like the real deal.

Funny though is that it is not sold with the other "mayo", but about 2 meters away in the same shelves underneath the Swiss Thomy products - among which also Thomy mayonnaise - but Maille's is so much better :-)

It is a costly triumph though: at 164 baht for 200 ml, it better tastes good!

Are there other, maybe cheaper sources in Pattaya for real mayonnaise?

• Like 1

thanks i will try that

i like Hellmanns though

does it taste like that?

failing that anyone seen Hellmanns?

i used to get in friendship or occasionally i would get a bank loan and buy it in the avenue but not seen it for ages

Go to big c extra,they have a cheaper one and just as good.Forgot the name though,but the price will lead u to the one,i think its called real mayo,cant check as i am on holiday in the uk

If it's called "real mayo" by Kraft, the sad news is that this product is not mayonnaise at all and doesn't taste like mayonnaise. Hellmann's is about the same as Kraft's "real mayo". Both products lack the taste of egg yolk and lack aroma, usually given by either olive oil or Dijon mustard.

The Maille mayonnaise tastes of egg yolk and slightly of Dijon mustard.

Edited by manarak

Make your own it's so simple and cheaper ...and tastes delicious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o

yeah, 2 minutes... not counting washing all the instruments, buying a hand blender and throwing away most of it afterwards! what a waste. then the dijon mustard turning old in the fridge before I want to make another mayo...

BTW, way too much oil in that online recipe, the normal ratio egg yolk to oil is 10-20cl of oil per egg yolk, and as the eggs are really small in thailand, that's probably 7-15 cl per egg yolk.

Edited by manarak

thanks i will try that

i like Hellmanns though

does it taste like that?

failing that anyone seen Hellmanns?

i used to get in friendship or occasionally i would get a bank loan and buy it in the avenue but not seen it for ages

I used to have friends bring me Hellman's from Saudi when they came over.

Then somebody told me "Best Foods Mayo" at Lotus and other stores is the same stuff...and it is.

Give Best Foods a try.

• Like 1

As mentioned, Hellmans and Best Foods are the same company, same mayo. The thing to watch out for in Thailand is it is the only place where Best Foods makes a Mayo and a Real Mayo. The BF Mayo tastes like Kraft Miracle Whip, which is what the Thai brands taste like. Terrible imitation. The BF Real Mayo seems to have just appeared in Thailand, and it is the real stuff, just like Kraft Real Mayo is. Kraft brought out Real Mayo 40 years ago to compete against Best Foods (Hellmans) Real Mayo. The only problem is the Kraft Real Mayo is 89 baht, the Best Foods Mayo (crap) is 85 baht, and now that they have brought in the Best Foods real Mayo, it is 225 baht. Makes no sense because in a blind tasting you can not tell the difference between Kraft Real Mayo & Best Foods (Hellmans) Real Mayo.

Best Foods is sold west of the Rocky Mountains in the US, Hellmans is sold east of the Rockies. Same-same.

I acquired a taste for Kewpie mayonnaise when I lived in China. It also has a following on a lot of food lover blogs.

Their normal mayo tastes like real mayo, and their sweet mayo is like Miracle Whip, which I prefer to real mayo anyway.

It's worth a try because it's much cheaper than the imported brands- and some claim it tastes fresher (whatever that means with mayo). And you can buy it in those goofy looking squeeze packages that make it look like a cheapo imitation, and do cost less than the glass jars.

• Like 2

As mentioned, Hellmans and Best Foods are the same company, same mayo. The thing to watch out for in Thailand is it is the only place where Best Foods makes a Mayo and a Real Mayo. The BF Mayo tastes like Kraft Miracle Whip, which is what the Thai brands taste like. Terrible imitation. The BF Real Mayo seems to have just appeared in Thailand, and it is the real stuff, just like Kraft Real Mayo is. Kraft brought out Real Mayo 40 years ago to compete against Best Foods (Hellmans) Real Mayo. The only problem is the Kraft Real Mayo is 89 baht, the Best Foods Mayo (crap) is 85 baht, and now that they have brought in the Best Foods real Mayo, it is 225 baht. Makes no sense because in a blind tasting you can not tell the difference between Kraft Real Mayo & Best Foods (Hellmans) Real Mayo.

Best Foods is sold west of the Rocky Mountains in the US, Hellmans is sold east of the Rockies. Same-same.

I never thought mayo selection could get so complicated

i remember one best food mayo i tasted was awful and had the consistency of wallpaper paste

I never thought mayo selection could get so complicated

i remember one best food mayo i tasted was awful and had the consistency of wallpaper paste

I get the sense that the product stays on the shelf a looong time in some countries. I love sweet relish. But once in a while, I'd pick up a jar of relish and the color of the exposed side of the jar would be very different than the color of the hidden side of the jar. I imagine it's the same with mayo, so I try to check the "sell by" date.

Go to big c extra,they have a cheaper one and just as good.Forgot the name though,but the price will lead u to the one,i think its called real mayo,cant check as i am on holiday in the uk

I am puzzled as well. Every supermarket has a couple of brands of mayo and that crappy 'salad cream', but I have always preferred 'Miracle Whip', which has a much better flavor than any mayonaise...

I acquired a taste for Kewpie mayonnaise when I lived in China. It also has a following on a lot of food lover blogs.

Their normal mayo tastes like real mayo, and their sweet mayo is like Miracle Whip, which I prefer to real mayo anyway.

It's worth a try because it's much cheaper than the imported brands- and some claim it tastes fresher (whatever that means with mayo). And you can buy it in those goofy looking squeeze packages that make it look like a cheapo imitation, and do cost less than the glass jars.

+1

Just double check you are buying the one with no sugar. Says so on the bag. Buy the large bag at Makro or smaller package at many places. Very good mayo.

I prefer the Dutch Mayonaisse, its from the brand Remia and its available at Foodland. They have a nice garlic sauce as well and i believe a bottle its just 95 baht, quite cheap and very good imo

I have seen that one in Big C Extra also !

I prefer the Dutch Mayonaisse, its from the brand Remia and its available at Foodland. They have a nice garlic sauce as well and i believe a bottle its just 95 baht, quite cheap and very good imo

MJCM: Please change your picture. Every time I see one of your posts I think there is a small creature on my screen and try to squish it. hahahahha

• Like 2

MJCM: Please change your picture. Every time I see one of your posts I think there is a small creature on my screen and try to squish it. hahahahha

No way, it's good that at least a small part of your screen gets cleaned. 555555

:wai:

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

yeah, 2 minutes... not counting washing all the instruments, buying a hand blender and throwing away most of it afterwards! what a waste. then the dijon mustard turning old in the fridge before I want to make another mayo...

BTW, way too much oil in that online recipe, the normal ratio egg yolk to oil is 10-20cl of oil per egg yolk, and as the eggs are really small in thailand, that's probably 7-15 cl per egg yolk.

That's an interesting point you raise there. I've always used this simple recipe for the base - one yolk, one spoon lemon juice and then add up with (Canola) Oil until it gets the right consistency. That usually is around 35 cl, so much more oil than you suggest. If I stopped at 7-15 cl I'm sure it would be too runny. How do you fix that?

Makro has ARO Brand (house brand) mayonnaise in a 1 kilogram bag for 72 baht. My favorite at home was Hellman's and this has been an acceptable substitute.

I usually buy the bagged Best Foods mayo at Makro in Loei or Udorn.

Just save the mayo jars and refill them.

Makro has ARO Brand (house brand) mayonnaise in a 1 kilogram bag for 72 baht. My favorite at home was Hellman's and this has been an acceptable substitute.

You beat me to it, their mustard at approximate the same price is also very good.

That's an interesting point you raise there. I've always used this simple recipe for the base - one yolk, one spoon lemon juice and then add up with (Canola) Oil until it gets the right consistency. That usually is around 35 cl, so much more oil than you suggest. If I stopped at 7-15 cl I'm sure it would be too runny. How do you fix that?

Self made mayonaise is known to curdle when the maker have their menstrual period.

I suggest you go see a doctor Phil.