Scoop: found real mayonnaise !

manarak

Very interesting, but (1) I'm not a woman (2) therefore I don't have a period and (3) my mayo doesn't curl, so please explain how this is relevant?

It was meant as a joke Phil, hence we are in dear need of a sarcasm emoticon, but (1) ( 2) that was actually why you needed to see a doctor ( 3) and google translate tells me that curdle is another word for runny.

I see. Well, normally when you make mayo you want it to emulsify, i.e. the components mix and change state from liquid to creamy. Sometimes, for different reasons, this can fail, and the mayo curdles and becomes runny. But that's not what we're talking about here. As you start mixing yolk and lemon juice, it starts out quite runny, and as you add more oil it becomes firmer until the point when it is as you want it. If you only add 7-15 cl oil per yolk it will in my experience normally still be quite runny - though not necessarily curdled.

Yes I know, if you're not into making your own mayo this may sound nerdy, but it's really just kitchen smalltalk.

Make your own it's so simple and cheaper ...and tastes delicious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbPF_rLpd9o

yeah, 2 minutes... not counting washing all the instruments, buying a hand blender and throwing away most of it afterwards! what a waste. then the dijon mustard turning old in the fridge before I want to make another mayo...

BTW, way too much oil in that online recipe, the normal ratio egg yolk to oil is 10-20cl of oil per egg yolk, and as the eggs are really small in thailand, that's probably 7-15 cl per egg yolk.

That's an interesting point you raise there. I've always used this simple recipe for the base - one yolk, one spoon lemon juice and then add up with (Canola) Oil until it gets the right consistency. That usually is around 35 cl, so much more oil than you suggest. If I stopped at 7-15 cl I'm sure it would be too runny. How do you fix that?

I as a rule slowly drizzle the oil into the egg & Dijon until I get to the required consistency and occasionally I'll add some fresh pureed garlic a few splashes of Tabasco sauce ..It's got my taste buds working overtime now I think I'll knock up a batch of home make burger and spark up the BBQ partytime2.gif

Makro has ARO Brand (house brand) mayonnaise in a 1 kilogram bag for 72 baht. My favorite at home was Hellman's and this has been an acceptable substitute.

Good to hear this. I also am a Hellman's / Best Foods fan so surely will try the ARO. A lot cheaper. Again I like these brands for the no sugar and no carbs. Not sure if ARO is same but will try.

Makro has ARO Brand (house brand) mayonnaise in a 1 kilogram bag for 72 baht. My favorite at home was Hellman's and this has been an acceptable substitute.

Good to hear this. I also am a Hellman's / Best Foods fan so surely will try the ARO. A lot cheaper. Again I like these brands for the no sugar and no carbs. Not sure if ARO is same but will try.

Aro mayonaise has only 4% sugar.

I see. Well, normally when you make mayo you want it to emulsify, i.e. the components mix and change state from liquid to creamy. Sometimes, for different reasons, this can fail, and the mayo curdles and becomes runny. But that's not what we're talking about here. As you start mixing yolk and lemon juice, it starts out quite runny, and as you add more oil it becomes firmer until the point when it is as you want it. If you only add 7-15 cl oil per yolk it will in my experience normally still be quite runny - though not necessarily curdled.

Yes I know, if you're not into making your own mayo this may sound nerdy, but it's really just kitchen smalltalk.

Hmm... depends on the size of the egg yolk. I talk about the cheapest eggs.

For a bigger egg yolk of European size, the amount of oil will be around 25cl

and... you don't add any water do you?

Edited by manarak

Aro mayonaise has only 4% sugar.

4 % is to much for my diet. Will try it anyway for taste but I prefer the no sugar.

Hmm... depends on the size of the egg yolk. I talk about the cheapest eggs.

For a bigger egg yolk of European size, the amount of oil will be around 25cl

and... you don't add any water do you?

So do I, size 3 or 4 eggs, no water.