Getting Retirement extension was an (expensive) piece of cake

I just got my retirement extension. It was easy, almost pleasant. Here are the steps I took:

1 arrived at BKK with no visa on April 20

2 got 30 day entry permit from airport

3 went to US embassy to get statement of income April 22 (1500 baht)

4 Thai immigration: apply for 90 day visa April 23 (1900 baht)

5 Thai immigration: pick up 90 day visa May 9

6 went to US embassy to get another! statement of income June 7 (1500 baht)

7 Thai immigration: Got the 1 year extension June 9 (1900 baht)

I always went to Thai immigration in the early afternoon - seems to be less crowded than in the morning.
Total cost: about 13,000 baht (including taxi & multi rentry permit)
  • Like 1

BTW, There is a visa-run company on Sukhumwit that offered to do all this for me for 35,000 Baht. This actually isn't such a bad deal because it would have saved me the expensive visa run I made to Singapore, and all the trips to Jaeng Wattana. This price also included 3 trips in the future to do the address verification. Still, despite what the nice lady told me, I doubt this would've been legal.

I have been swithering about this for ages -- I leave thailand 2 or 3 times a year and it seems a lot easier to get the entry permit and then a tourist visa from Laos or Cambodia, either double-entry and/or with 30 day extension -- giving me options on 30, 90, 120, 150, 180, 210 days. I am eligible for the retirement extension but would have to get multiple entries and the permit to leave/re-enter (or whatever it is) each time. I would probably also lose a month or 2 in the year because my comings and goings are not likely to neatly dovetail with the retirement extension end-date............ or am I missing something ?

Edited by jpinx

what visa run to singpaore? dont see that on the list?

Did u use the emabssy letter for the full amount?

No bank book letter?

Good job! goes to show u it is easy to do on ur own.

The trip to Singapore was necessary because I only had ten days left on my tourist visa - not enough.

Yes, I used the embassy letter for the full amount. However I did need to prove I had a Thai bank account - my ATM card sufficed.

ahh seems to me u could have saved urself some $$ an gotten a single entry non "O" in singapore ($70) for reasons of retirement an than gotten ur extension ( 1,900 baht an 1,500 for Embassy letter) here in thailand plus the 3,800 for mutli re-entry

less visits to immigration as well.

No bank book letter?

The trip to Singapore was necessary because I only had ten days left on my tourist visa - not enough.

Yes, I used the embassy letter for the full amount. However I did need to prove I had a Thai bank account - my ATM card sufficed.

Did the US Embassy require any proof that you have sufficient income to meet the retirement extension requirement -or- did they issue the letter strictly based on your assertion.

ahh seems to me u could have saved urself some $$ an gotten a single entry non "O" in singapore ($70) for reasons of retirement an than gotten ur extension ( 1,900 baht an 1,500 for Embassy letter) here in thailand plus the 3,800 for mutli re-entry

less visits to immigration as well.

The Thai embassy in Singapore refused to grant me an "O" visa. They said they only give them to Singapore residents. In fact they refused to give me a tourist visa because I didn't have a ticket out of Thailand.

No bank book letter?

Did the US Embassy require any proof that you have sufficient income to meet the retirement extension requirement -or- did they issue the letter strictly based on your assertion.

They take your word for it.

I must be missing something here...If the US Embassy does not require any documentation of income...And Thai Immigration accepts that at face value...Why would anyone bother with the fixed deposit in a Thai bank ???

First

only works if ur American

second your SWEARING UNDER OATH;

I also affirm that I receive US$ _________________ every month from the United States Government and/or other sources. I am applying for a Thai visa/ an extension of a current Thai visa and any assistance you can provide in this request will be greatly appreciated.

KINGDOM OF THAILAND

Bangkok, Thailand

Embassy of the United States

Subscribed and sworn to before me this date:

If you do not have the specified amount ur swearing to , you could be in big trouble

Phuket NOW requires an addtional letter from your US bank although ( for now) Bangkok and Pattaya do not

To be fair other Embassy's use the same system for "certifying" income.

An interesting comment about Phuket. I can imagine there will be a few(many) very upset Americans (and others ?)

As a Brit I have always had to provide evidence of income to the Embassy before they will issue a letter.

I have been swithering about this for ages -- I leave thailand 2 or 3 times a year and it seems a lot easier to get the entry permit and then a tourist visa from Laos or Cambodia, either double-entry and/or with 30 day extension -- giving me options on 30, 90, 120, 150, 180, 210 days. I am eligible for the retirement extension but would have to get multiple entries and the permit to leave/re-enter (or whatever it is) each time. I would probably also lose a month or 2 in the year because my comings and goings are not likely to neatly dovetail with the retirement extension end-date............ or am I missing something ?

If you get the multiple entry retirement extension then you don't need a permit to leave/re-enter. You can just go and come back as you please.

• Like 1

I must be missing something here...If the US Embassy does not require any documentation of income...And Thai Immigration accepts that at face value...Why would anyone bother with the fixed deposit in a Thai bank ???

Immigrations can ask for supporting documentation.

And, of course, the more they read comments like yours, the more likely they are to want some verification.

That's why the three month seasoning requirement for money in the bank came about. People were bragging about shifting money from one person to another just before going in for an annual extension in order to make their bank balance fit the requirements. Voila, the three month requirement was put in place to stop that sort of thing.

Anyway it's easy enough to get a letter of verification from Social Security and ask for supporting documents for a US based pension to take along with the embassy letter when you apply for the annual extension. I've found some times they accept those documents and include them with my application and other times they're content with the embassy letter only. Up to them. Best to go prepared and to apply early in case you need further supporting documents. If you claim some level of income and are unable to prove it, you might end up with a problem with Immigrations for yourself and for other applicants at the same office.

Edited by Suradit69

Immigrations can ask for supporting documentation.

And, of course, the more they read comments like yours, the more likely they are to want some verification.

That's why the three month seasoning requirement for money in the bank came about. People were bragging about shifting money from one person to another just before going in for an annual extension in order to make their bank balance fit the requirements. Voila, the three month requirement was put in place to stop that sort of thing.

Anyway it's easy enough to get a letter of verification from Social Security and ask for supporting documents for a US based pension to take along with the embassy letter when you apply for the annual extension. I've found some times they accept those documents and include them with my application and other times they're content with the embassy letter only. Up to them. Best to go prepared and to apply early in case you need further supporting documents. If you claim some level of income and are unable to prove it, you might end up with a problem with Immigrations for yourself and for other applicants at the same office.

Personally I would never try any kind of dishonesty involving a visa/extension of stay/license/etc. in another country...I was just very surprised that immigration does not absolutely require proof along with the Embassy letter...

To be fair other Embassy's use the same system for "certifying" income.

An interesting comment about Phuket. I can imagine there will be a few(many) very upset Americans (and others ?)

As a Brit I have always had to provide evidence of income to the Embassy before they will issue a letter.

Canadians also have to prove evidence of income before they get their letter.

• Like 1

BTW, There is a visa-run company on Sukhumwit that offered to do all this for me for 35,000 Baht. This actually isn't such a bad deal because it would have saved me the expensive visa run I made to Singapore, and all the trips to Jaeng Wattana. This price also included 3 trips in the future to do the address verification. Still, despite what the nice lady told me, I doubt this would've been legal.

Why Singapore and not casual train rife to NongKai across to Vientienne..?? Much cheaper and much more pleasant.

There are other alternatives which do not require an expensive trip to an expensive city.

I am american here for three years on retirement visa.

Never had to show anything but letter from embassy. So far that is?

65,000 baht is not much compared to american standards.

Regardless, I keep a home in america furnished with a car in the garage. And enough money to live for a year with no problems.

IMO, anyone coming to Thailand with out an exit strategy is very foolish. Worrying about it is even more foolish.

Also, I invest in the market in my country. I would never show 800,000 baht in a Thai bank. It would disrupt my investing and loose me money. I personally would move to another country and never understood WHY anyone would do such a thing? If I were a of another nationality I would never consider Thailand.

These kind of posts bring up many things. I made a list and stuck to it and am very happy here.

1: Do not invest in Thailand period. It is illegal and just plain bad business practice

2: Only spend what you can afford to loose. It is a 100% loss if something happens.

3: Enjoy myself and have fun as long as I do not violate the two top rules.

I am a worrier and I wake up every day knowing I can leave tomorrow with no problem what so ever.

I enjoy Thailand and it's people. But it is not my country!!

Edited by garyk
  • Like 2

First

only works if ur American

second your SWEARING UNDER OATH;

I also affirm that I receive US$ _________________ every month from the United States Government and/or other sources. I am applying for a Thai visa/ an extension of a current Thai visa and any assistance you can provide in this request will be greatly appreciated.

KINGDOM OF THAILAND

Bangkok, Thailand

Embassy of the United States

Subscribed and sworn to before me this date:

If you do not have the specified amount ur swearing to , you could be in big trouble

Phuket NOW requires an addtional letter from your US bank although ( for now) Bangkok and Pattaya do not

Phiket can indeed require extra proof for the American people, it is not necessarily a letter from a US bank but any legit documentation is accepted.

This is not strange in my opinion as the US declaration is basically worthless as there is no proof required to get this letter.

Just as a side note. As an American citizen. I enjoy many many benefits as far as a visa is concerned. Compared to other country's. It is indeed an honor to be an American for me. India is another example. If I want to go to India, I am able to get a 10 year tourist visa. How amazing is that? It is just a big bonus to be from the U.S.. I personally take full advantage of these benefits.

Edited by garyk

If you get the multiple entry retirement extension then you don't need a permit to leave/re-enter.

You can just go and come back as you please.

A "multiple entry retirement extension" ???

What is that? Cost? Never heard of that...?

If you get the multiple entry retirement extension then you don't need a permit to leave/re-enter.

You can just go and come back as you please.

A "multiple entry retirement extension" ???

What is that? Cost? Never heard of that...?

I think he means a Multiple Entry Non-O visa obtained from a Consulate / Embassy outside of Thailand.