The Ashes Tour 2013

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good on Broad but what a farce. If the Ashes were still on the line that game would have been halted.

Who cares? Quiet on here tonight I notice! laugh.png

Edit: In fact that is the worst Aussie 2nd innings performance in a long long time surely?

Edited by smokie36

Whoooooooooooo.....................

I just do not believe it

At half past four, when the Aussies hit a ton for no wickets I thought they had it in tha bag.

Even when England got the third wicket for 168 I was thinking well England may get it but thats going to be a big rabbit they need to pull out of the hat.

I am on my way to a shout when Clarke is dismissed, there was me thinking England will be lucky if they get a fifth wicket by close of play.

When I finish the job just over an hour later, I start the van expecting the game to have finished for the night with Australia on two hundred and something for six wickets only to hear England has won, you could have knocked me over with a feather duster.

Well done Poms ... when I pulled stumps we were well on top and Australia was 120 for nothing (or maybe 1 down) from memory.

Disappointing that both sides are showing a fragility in the batting stakes.

Taking nothing away from England's victory ...

Had you worried there for a while though ... rolleyes.gif

All I ask is that Australia go down fighting ... not whimpering ... there's honour in a decent fight, if you have played your best, been positive in your play, but beaten on the day.

I went to bed with at tea with Australia one down... Wake up and find out it's all over!

Shame that after such a solid start we couldn't get a couple more guys to stand up.

Ill have to catch up on highlights now...seems like Broad did the damage

I went to bed with at tea with Australia one down... Wake up and find out it's all over!

Shame that after such a solid start we couldn't get a couple more guys to stand up.

Ill have to catch up on highlights now...seems like Broad did the damage

Went to bed when the Aussies were 120-1 or so.I woke up very early, looked up Cricinfo. I saw the word presentation and thought Australia couldn't have won this quickly and I looked down at their score and had to do a triple take to realize that England had actually won! Fairplay to Australia for some great fighting cricket from the openers but England are a battle hardened tough old bunch even though they are led by an ex-choir boy..Appearances can be deceptive

Good on Broad but what a farce. If the Ashes were still on the line that game would have been halted.

Who cares? Quiet on here tonight I notice! laugh.png

Edit: In fact that is the worst Aussie 2nd innings performance in a long long time surely?

It just goes back to what I was saying about the series being over already, that was a made for TV finish, literally. There's no way that the umpires would have allowed that to continue if that match was to decide Ashes retention. They'd have been off and back out this morning.

No way at 168 - 3 did I expect a 74 run victory for England. With Clarke coming in to bat I had the Aussies as favourities,

But, I did say the visitors had the ability to collapse - brought on in this case by some excellent bowling from Broad.

Just watching the highlights. Some good bowling from Broad, esp to remove Clarke. Smith playing a shot that was not necessary. Khawaja again failed. In the end a predictable collapse. Clarke has already come out and said there is one to replace the current batsmen. He might be forgetting about Simon Katich of course...who was forced from the team for personality issues between the two.

Haddin's DRS review. Again highlights the inconsistency with the system. An umpires call for a shaving of the stumps. Because he is given out originally he is still out. Other umpires calls which are hitting more of the stumps not given out because the umpire has given it not out.

It affects both teams.

No way at 168 - 3 did I expect a 74 run victory for England. With Clarke coming in to bat I had the Aussies as favourities,

But, I did say the visitors had the ability to collapse - brought on in this case by some excellent bowling from Broad.

I was looking forward to an exciting finish during the first session today

I was looking forward to an exciting finish during the first session today

Me too!

I went to bed expecting Australia to a little over 200 for maybe 5 wickets down.

To be honest, did anyone expect anything different?

A batting line up that has everyone apart from Clarke,

Rogers and the bowlers averaging in the 20's.

The trouble is, the guys like Khawaja replacing Hughes

and Cowan aren't better.

Time for new blood but where is it?

and Cowan aren't better.

They will come through..but not yet apparently..Could we be talking about 3-5 years?

I could never understand Khawaja being selected in the test side in the first place, let alone batting at three! (Of course, being from NSW has been an automatic in for some time)

After a good run of nine tests he has an average of just 25. Even his first class average is just 40. Most test players are way above this before selection in the big time.

Time to consign him to history. Starc would be a better batting option for the final test.

I also have strong thoughts about the suitability of Cowan and Smith playing at this level.

I was surprised when England announced an unchanged line up for Durham, I feel that there are too many passengers in the English side, the problem is some players virtually win the game single handed one test and the next they just do not do much.

I hope for the next that 2 or 3 players should be rested and the selectors should try out a few hopefuls.

I had to go and collect the wife shortly after tea when Australia were 150 something for 2. I get back, turn the telly on just in time to see Bresnan get Watson.

Glued to the telly from then on.

Superb effort from Broad, but the rot started when Bresnan got Warner and he also got Watson; another vital wicket.

A lot of people in the press, and here, questioned whether he should be playing. But he always works hard. He's not the star of the show, but he can tie up an end, frustrating the batsmen (his economy rate in the Aussie second innings was just 2.76) and has a knack of getting the odd vital wicket.

He can also make a useful contribution with the bat; as his 45 in England's second innings showed.

Yes, had he been given out originally when on 12 then the umpire's call on review meant he would have been out; and those 'extra' runs, especially added to Swann's effort, probably made all the difference. But that's the way the system works, and as BookMan says, it effects both teams.

Good effort from the Aussies, but it does seem that they may have taken over England's mantle as the team which snatches defeat from the jaws of victory!

Like to add a 'well done' to the umpires for their action over the light.

As the official finishing time (7pm due to the time lost to rain earlier) had passed, taking the teams off would have meant the end of proceedings for the day. Which would have been ridiculous at that stage; everyone could see that the clouds were moving over the ground and bright sunshine was only minutes away.

Telling Cook that if he bowled his spinners, Swann and Root, then they could stay on was the sensible thing to do. As was allowing Cook the extra half hour when he asked for it.

Making everyone come back again this morning for what would almost certainly have been just a couple of overs would have been ridiculous.

Edited by 7by7

As the official finishing time (7pm due to the time lost to rain earlier) had passed, taking the teams off would have meant the end of proceedings for the day. Which would have been ridiculous at that stage; everyone could see that the clouds were moving over the ground and bright sunshine was only minutes away.

Telling Cook that if he bowled his spinners, Swann and Root, then they could stay on was the sensible thing to do. As was allowing Cook the extra half hour when he asked for it.

Making everyone come back again this morning for what would almost certainly have been just a couple of overs would have been ridiculous.

Not if rains all day today it wouldn't....from the Aussies perspective

• Like 1

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle!

I do hope the Aussies have the good grace to look inwardly at their own performances (in the case of Warner, off the pitch as well) and don't even think of raising the subject of the English weather as a factor in England winning the Ashes.

• Like 1

Forecast for today is, and has been, dry and sunny all day.

Ashes 2013: Alastair Cook targets historic win in fifth Test at The Oval

England captain Alastair Cook set his sights on an historic 4-0 series win after sealing the Ashes with a stunning 74-run victory at Chester-le-Street...........

England have never won four Tests in a home Ashes series and had not won three in a series at home since 1985.

I'm sure the Aussies will dearly love to stop England from winning 4-0, and salvage some pride by winning at The Oval.

Looking forward to the final test with keen anticipation.

Anyone who thinks that it will be a pointless game is, of course, at liberty to ignore it.

Forecast for today is, and has been, dry and sunny all day.

As the case might be... I was just speculating on what could have been. Had it rained all the day the Aussies would have had cause to feel aggrieved.

and Cowan aren't better.

They will come through..but not yet apparently..Could we be talking about 3-5 years?

I don't think things are that bad. They had an unsettled spell with changes in the coaching staff etc. I don't believe they are fundamentally inferior to England, but they need to spend more time together as a team and get into a winning habit. England are battle hardened and used to killing teams off. We've generally competed ok for most of the series and if we can stop these collapses and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, the return series will be worth staying up for..

• Like 1

Having been denied victory at Old Trafford due to the weather, I can see your point.

I apologise if I caused offence, I thought you were being light hearted.

Well i wasn't really being serious...but the point was there.. Had it rained all day the Aussies would have felt miffed.

I just want to see Cricket get its rules in order and have the governing managers show some actual leadership.