one wireless router for entire building

infinity11

Use to be few problems.
Now it is so inconsistent.
Once i asked them to change the password, that turned into a week of no internet.
Thought about a sign, please no torrents, but maybe people will anyway, though that may not always be the only problem or issue.
Any ideas advice suggestions?

Thanks.

Not sure what your question is - try to phrase it clearly. Also so far doesn't seem to be a Thai issue specifically but I'll try anyway in the meantime, might help you out.

Obviously if you want a decent quality internet connection you need to have your own dedicated wired account.

Some apartments don't allow this, in which case you will need to move - personally this is one of the critical issues I work out before signing a lease.

You can then have your own wifi router installed and of course need to have a secure password that no one else knows so you don't let other people share your bandwidth.

If you are sharing an open router with other people that isn't your own personal account then of course you have nothing to say about what the others do.

Edited by boosta

Get your own dedicated connection. If you cant, move... Really your only option..

If I was using a shared WiFi Service, and someone (not management) put up a sign asking me not to download torrents, I would laugh...

Edited by Jigger
  • Like 2

Now i am at the router and i have 5 bars. Still a bit sluggish and by the flashing lights looks like i am the only one online now.

My apt is so far from the router that i get like one bar two or three at best, anything i can do?

I think at the very least the system needs to be reset or something, i try on and off but still the same.

Is there someway to get the thing running like new again?

Again - you need to confirm with your landlord that they will allow you to have True or TOT or BBB or whoever install a cable into your flat, then go sign up for your own dedicated account, between 300 and 1000 per month depending on the package.

For signing a contract you may get subsidized equipment, since you seem to like WiFi get that kind of router rather than having to run Ethernet from your computer to the box, but that would be faster if you can set that up at your most commonly used location.

When you set up the router, assign a difficult to guess password - not just the numbers from 1-0 or the word "password" - and use the highest level encryption.

You will now have all that bandwidth to yourself. This is the only way to get decent service, don't share your password withanyone.

Things will still slow down just because the various connection points are all getting heavy traffic at those peak hours, but at least the bandwidth that one router is being allocated isn't being shared with everyone else.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

How many apartments in the building? How far are you from this router? What type of signal do you get in your apartment? What brand is the router (model number too if possible)? How accepting are the management to feedback?

With decent firmware and proper QoS settings you can achieve a stable and usable shared connection for all (as long as you are not bleeding a tiny connection dry for 200 people).

• Like 2

I've lived in 6 apartment buildings in the last 5 years, shared wi-fi generally sucks when you have hundreds of people all wanting to use the thing, and the apartment owners are too stingy to invest in any proper bandwidth.

There is no technical solution available to you. You can moan, plead, explain the issues till you are blue in the face but the apartment owners already know full well the internet is rubbish, but they will not pay to fix it. They will just smile at you and say "it will be better soon".

The one single solution is move to a place with a dedicated line i.e rent a condo or house. Then you are your "own boss" re: Internet. You don't want an apartment owner as your Internet boss, believe me. They aren't in the business of providing top-end Internet services, just "enough" at the lowest price possible.

Depending where you live, you can indeed stick a signal extender on your balcony, and use external services. That might be your best option if you cannot move yet. But external services can be a lottery as well. I was lucky to find a good one, track down their office, and use them for 6 months instead of the shitty apartment wifi.

Edited by pete66

Again - you need to confirm with your landlord that they will allow you to have True or TOT or BBB or whoever install a cable into your flat, then go sign up for your own dedicated account, between 300 and 1000 per month depending on the package.

For signing a contract you may get subsidized equipment, since you seem to like WiFi get that kind of router rather than having to run Ethernet from your computer to the box, but that would be faster if you can set that up at your most commonly used location.

When you set up the router, assign a difficult to guess password - not just the numbers from 1-0 or the word "password" - and use the highest level encryption.

You will now have all that bandwidth to yourself. This is the only way to get decent service, don't share your password withanyone.

Things will still slow down just because the various connection points are all getting heavy traffic at those peak hours, but at least the bandwidth that one router is being allocated isn't being shared with everyone else.

Hope that helps.

Personally and if you can, I would go with CAT. I have tried all the others and found them less efficient. The connection all the way to your router (if you are allowed to install your own) is fibre optic, where as all the others are fibre optic running along the main roads and then copper wire to your router. The problem is that the copper wire will in time deteriorate and fail to pass the signal as efficiently. The other factor which has not been mentioned is the fluctuating electrical supply, which is passing the internet from the Internet Service Provider from nodul to nodul. I have plugged my router in to a USP (Uninterupted Power Supply, which is a battery like arrangement with sockets and sustains the signal when you have transitional breaks in the signal, which will basically keep the router running for up to about 15 minutes when this happens. You can buy these at most IT shops. I have had nothing but outstastanding service from CAT and they will not accept any tips or payment in kind for work done, which is quite refreshing bearing in mind "Thainess", which is not meant as a criticism, but tipping is part of the culture. Happy surfingwai2.gif

• Like 1

Not sure what your question is - try to phrase it clearly. Also so far doesn't seem to be a Thai issue specifically but I'll try anyway in the meantime, might help you out.

Obviously if you want a decent quality internet connection you need to have your own dedicated wired account.

Some apartments don't allow this, in which case you will need to move - personally this is one of the critical issues I work out before signing a lease.

You can then have your own wifi router installed and of course need to have a secure password that no one else knows so you don't let other people share your bandwidth.

If you are sharing an open router with other people that isn't your own personal account then of course you have nothing to say about what the others do.

Get your own dedicated connection. If you cant, move... Really your only option..

If I was using a shared WiFi Service, and someone (not management) put up a sign asking me not to download torrents, I would laugh...

True offer a Wireless Router dongle which basically has a sim card slot, sign up for a monthly package around 899 baht per month, router is about 2000+ but you can connect up to 5 devices from router.

Home internet is always faster but True is pretty much sufficient, a little more expensive at 899 compared to 699 for a home connection but you'd have to pay 150 for Telephone line rental in any case so it evens out.

I am getting about 6-9 Mbs from my home connection and 3-6 from the 3G connection, the 3G connection is pretty reliable and is a valid alternative to moving house.

You can also take it with you everywhere you go because the router is pocket sized, if you didn't want the router you could get a smart phone which has wifi router capabilities or an air card. The router looks pretty sweet in anycase.

• Like 1

iPads, and some computers have a slot to insert a sim card too bu the way, and internet on the move via 3G 4G is only ever going to get better.

I have about 15 internet accounts, with 3BB, True (Home), AIS, DTAC and True-H, which I use both for personal and business usage, the True (Home) connection is what I am using now and that hosts a website, I get around 6-7 download and 0.54 upload, I really want a 100 mbs connection but it's not available in my area of Bangkok, the website runs pretty smoothly, and all my provincial offices connect to the computer everyday, I did have to cancel one internet account, create a new account with new telephone number and sever all but the server connection to my internet connection because at one point around 15 people were using it daily and True reduced my bandwidth because of this.

AIS in my opinion sucks and True is much better on the move, DTAC is ok but I generally just use the other connections because I have a lot of connections already. In the provinces at my offices, 3BB really is the only choice I have but it's pretty good.

Personally and if you can, I would go with CAT. I have tried all the others and found them less efficient. The connection all the way to your router (if you are allowed to install your own) is fibre optic, where as all the others are fibre optic running along the main roads and then copper wire to your router. The problem is that the copper wire will in time deteriorate and fail to pass the signal as efficiently. The other factor which has not been mentioned is the fluctuating electrical supply, which is passing the internet from the Internet Service Provider from nodul to nodul. I have plugged my router in to a USP (Uninterupted Power Supply, which is a battery like arrangement with sockets and sustains the signal when you have transitional breaks in the signal, which will basically keep the router running for up to about 15 minutes when this happens. You can buy these at most IT shops. I have had nothing but outstastanding service from CAT and they will not accept any tips or payment in kind for work done, which is quite refreshing bearing in mind "Thainess", which is not meant as a criticism, but tipping is part of the culture. Happy surfingwai2.gif

I have the same Cat it is great and hardly any drop offs at all but it is 7k bhat a month

3G wireless is totally insufficient for any serious internet usage, browsing and email only.

Depending on your location you may not get the speed you're paying for, and no matter how "unlimited" they say the plan is, even the biggest plans B1000 per month are just a few GB per MONTH and then they drop down to Edge service which is unbearable for even regular web browsing..

I go through that in a few days even without downloading films, if you do that you truly need a regular wired connection.

Just updating the OS and apps can suck down hundreds of MB per day, you really don't want to have to be thinking about paying X baht every time you click on an HD YouTube film drive yourself nuts.

Get a dedicated wired connection to your own WiFi router, only way to go.

Edited by boosta

get signal extender like bearextender, I use it when I stay in hotels, you can hook it up on usb cable, 3 meters and put it on balcony, near the door .......

or just move for god sake smile.png

Hello

Please excuse my ignorance here but would that help when in an apartment building where the wifi router is about 5 metres from my front door ?

Will it speed up the connection or merely make it more stable ?

Is it available for sale in Thailand ? ( or an equivalent)

I can`t realistically get a dedicated line for now as might be moving, would just like some temporary improvement in speed/ reliability.

Please excuse my ignorance here but would that help when in an apartment building where the wifi router is about 5 metres from my front door ?

It might, it depends.

If the router is crap or too many share the bandwidth at any given time - then no, nothing will make it "better".

If your computer is crap getting a "faster" connection will not improve your web experience either.

BTW the wireless signal gives a damn about your door, the wireless signal will or will not travel directly from router antenna to to PC/laptop antenna, moving them closer together is the key. Also removing large lumps of metal (fridge) or TV etc between the two devices makes common sense - measuring from your front door suggests a lack of understanding.

Will it speed up the connection or merely make it more stable ?

Maximum speed is dependant on the bandwidth available to the router, that is then shared by other users.

Speed to you is dependant on the signal strength you get from the router, closer means faster. but electrical interference will reduce your "speed" as the connection will be degraded by the router/PC having to work more slowly to counter other interfering signals be they other wireless devices in use around you or some types of power supplies, old car ignition systems etc.

If your wireless extender gets a lousy signal all it will do is provide a stronger but also lousy signal to you, it can not make what is bad magically better. Can you install it halfway between router and your PC? (Probably not.)

I have seen multi-level buildings in Thailand where a wireless router has been installed on each floor, but directly one above the other, because the cabling was easiest that way. A clear sign that whoever oversaw the installation has as much understanding of wireless networking as my neighbor's buffalo.

Such installations need to be planned on paper with a strategy about channel use and spacing as you need to avoid using adjacent channels in close physical proximity, doing so kills speed and accessibility. But try telling a Thai this - very few will have the brain cells to comprehend what you are saying let alone implement a solution.

When it fails to work the problem will be put down to 'your' bad computer.

Is it available for sale in Thailand ? ( or an equivalent)

Yes, about 2,000 Baht for something good. Here, here, here & here. You can pay less / you can pay more.

I can`t realistically get a dedicated line for now as might be moving, would just like some temporary improvement in speed/ reliability.

Run a cable direct to the router.

• Like 1

Again ..... Sorry.... Something happened in the posting process in the iOS app... Looked like it wasn't posting but then appeared three times...

ha ha 3G

I also think i am not only sharing bandwidth with my building neighbors but with the area or town.

6-9 pm is usually slow while late night and early morning not

That's normal tbh, even for me, I am the only person using an ADSL wireless internet connection but between 6-9 there is a lot of demand for internet when kids are using internet shops etc. With my own dedicated line, with WIFI extremely protected it's pretty ok even around 6-9pm (though I am thinking about getting rid of the WIFI router and having just a wired connection because they are hackable)

The service provider has probably reduced or limited the bandwidth to the apartment building themselves due to high usage.

As I said previously, my old ADSL line, I had it installed about 10 years ago, and I shared the internet connection with around 20 users, in the end the internet became so slow and it had to have been because the service provider limited my bandwidth. The overall connection is shared anyway which is why 6-9pm the internet connection becomes slow so they have to limit bandwidth to control the overall service for their customers, your apartment block is probably on that list of limited bandwidth.

I had spoken with True about it on numerous occasions prior to cancelling the internet service and installing a new one but of course the people in the call centers are not the engineers so in the end the only solution was to apply for a new connection, which worked out cheaper too and cancel the old connection.

Some apartment blocks won't allow you to install telephone lines for a number of reasons, they don't want problems with debtors, they don't want to lay new cables, they want to sell the subscription themselves etc so if they do allow it and you will be there for more than 6 months ( I think that's the minimum subscription time) then go for an ADSL connection. The other alternative is 3G, for me it's ok, but like other posters have said it can be a little slow depending on what hardware you have, your demand etc. TRUE-H is probably the best of the lot, AIS really sucks, again it's location though and it changes quite reguarly.

Overall ISPs and general internet is getting better in Thailand though

• Like 1

Cuban

Thanks for the comprehensive and clear to understand answer.

Some useful tips there.

Appreciated.smile.png

BTW. Indeed the routers placed on each floor are directly one above the other, i.e in exactly the same relative position on each floor.

I now am using a thai friends air card which works better than the wireless so with the two i can manage basic browsing and such, and the occasional mp3 download.

Fascinating responses.

Thanks all for the excellent technical advice, i know where to come and look for expert help: right here!!!!

Edited by infinity11

Don't remember where I saw it, but there was a post somewhere about DoS or DDoS that you as a user can do. You flash the router from your run box on windows and tell it to ignore certain torrent URLs. Again, I don't remember where I saw it but you can google it.

See my earlier post on how to improve your WiFi connection. A simple DIY coffee can (the big ones) directional antenna can totally change your experience. It's been reported that you can get up to 2 miles with one. I don't know about that, but it'll keep your signal from bleeding off in an omnidirectional way as well as block the interference from surrounding WiFi users. It'd be just you and your access point.

Oh, Use keepalive and use it to maintain your signal. You get on before the others, turn on the tiny keepalive app and you never lose your connection. Get it here:

http://keepalive.vinea-it.nl

• Like 1

See my earlier post on how to improve your WiFi connection. A simple DIY coffee can (the big ones) directional antenna can totally change your experience. It's been reported that you can get up to 2 miles with one. I don't know about that, but it'll keep your signal from bleeding off in an omnidirectional way as well as block the interference from surrounding WiFi users. It'd be just you and your access point.

Keepalive will not improve anything detailed in this thread.

The coffee can idea is valid but there are better DIY designs on-line, when making such a "radar dish type reflector" you are NOT focusing the signal but just increasing the shielding effects from other interference.

...but it'll keep your signal from bleeding off in an omnidirectional way...

No. This is rubbish. Without due regard to the effects of self-interfering radio-waves in propagation along a wave-guide the only effect of meaning is signal:noise.

Long distance & low power wireless connections have been achieved, but out in perfect conditions: No other sources of interference for miles (desert), no solar effects (night-time), with correctly aimed and aligned large (3 meter in the text I read some years ago) reflecting dishes measured to place the antenna at the focus point.

DDoS that you as a user can do.

A distributed denial of service attack has no relevance in the context of this thread.

You flash the router from your run box on windows and tell it to ignore certain torrent URLs.

IF the router in question is using a EEPROM that carries an OS that can be changed then yes one could, with the right skill set, change the config to do or not do anything you choose.

Limit access to your PC only, only allow web-sites you like, even blocking every torrent site and tracker there is - but there are very many and you will need to be conversant in multiple languages.

I suggest that this idea is well beyond both your and the OP's abilities, in fact you are off in the world of fantasy fuelled by believing too many Hollywood movie myths.

When the router failed to work for most users, after rebooting a few times it would be taken away (you loose access) and when (if!) it is replaced you are in the same situation as before.

Happens a second time they simply remove the service as it it is too troublesome to bother about.

Avoid shared or public WiFi networks like the plague! You will get hacked sooner or later and that is a real nasty experience!

For your situation get your own connection, ADSL, 3G or TOT WiNet.

If you can't avoid public WiFi use a VPN or encrypted network to protect yourself.