Chiang Mai Redshirts Clash With 'Guy Fawkes' Crowd

webfact

Chiang Mai Redshirts Clash With 'Guy Fawkes' Crowd

ra.jpg
Image: KHAOSOD English

CHIANG MAI -- Fistfights broke out when Redshirts protesters in Chiang Mai province clashed with anti-goverment activists wearing Guy Fawkes masks.

Earlier, around 20 members of the so-called ′White Mask′ group was gathering in a restaurant opposite to Chiang Mai University′s Health Garden. They said they were there to campaign against ′Thaksin Regime′, referring to Former PM Thaksin Shinawatra. His sister Ms. Yingluck Shinawatra is the current Prime Minister.

Hearing news of their gathering, approximately 200 Redshirts arrived at the garden, bringing vehicles mounted with loudspeakers. Some wore red masks to mock the anti-government activists. The Redshirts were led by Love Chiang Mai ′51 Group, who said they were there to observe the gathering peacefully.

Tensions rose when a White Mask protester approached the Redshirts to take pictures of them, causing some of the Redshirts to rush toward the individual and shout insults at the lone protester. Around 10 police officers intervened and confrontation quickly subsided.

Mr. Worawut Rutjanapinan, leader of the Love Chiang Mai ′51 Group group, said the ′White Mask′ protesters are in fact the same Yellowshirts who had campaigned against Former PM Thaksin.

"We were here just to find out what they campaign about, but they provoked us. One of them took pictures of us, so some Redshirts are angered," Mr. Worawut said. He vowed that his group would stage counter-protest wherever the White Mask group appears in order to "observe" them.

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM01USXhOamcxT0E9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-06-15

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a age old adage......"you can't be half way pregnant" ..... either you are pregnant or you are not ,,,,, its yes or no

except in Thai News reporting

The Nation report this morning states that the police were present but did nothing to stop the 200 +/- Red Shirts from attacking the protestors causing some injuries

This report above, says the about 10 police officer intervened and settled things down.....

Which was it ......Intervened or didn't intervene

.......Injuries or no injuries

Edited by Gonzo the Face
  • Like 1

Not unexpected from Chiang Mai Rak 51. If they vaguely suspect you are a yelllow in disguise you are apparently fair game to be bullied. And the disengenous comment from Worawut that they only came to see what they were protesting about, but brought 200 people with loud speakers. They have this attitude that Chiang Mai is 100% red territory and how dare you exercise your right to protest. I live in Chiang Mai and can tell you that a lot of Thais here hate Thaksin, both rich and poor, but they are intimidated and keep quiet about it. Democracy eh? This group is one of the very worse examples of Red Shirt thuggishness.

Was or was it not members of this group , a couple years ago, that dragged out of his car, the father of some radio DJ, and killed him...... and what ever became of that incident and those individuals apprehended?

• Like 1

This instant willingness to attack this type of thing will cause ptp more problems than it solves eventually.

It always amazes me though that here in 'LOS - we want/need tourists' a violent mob directly associated with the government can do what the hell they please. Why violent mobs are not denounced or even distanced by the government speaks volumes about the 'democracy' here in Thailand.

Because the county is run by a violent mob...55555

• Like 1

This instant willingness to attack this type of thing will cause ptp more problems than it solves eventually.

It always amazes me though that here in 'LOS - we want/need tourists' a violent mob directly associated with the government can do what the hell they please. Why violent mobs are not denounced or even distanced by the government speaks volumes about the 'democracy' here in Thailand.

Because the county is run by a violent mob...55555

Officially or unofficially? It's becoming a blurrrrrr......

Of course they are the yellow shirts and just like little children they change their appearance every time when they see something on TV. Today a mask, tomorrow they call themselves Thai spring and say that Thailand is in a matter of fact the same as North korea because there are a lot of portraits of the big leader. But than did they look who is on the portraits or are they having eye trouble from wearing masks?

Democracy is not just holding elections. The fact is that there is no democracy, no rule of law, no freedom of speech, consequently the realm will remain a 5th world country for the next 100-150 years. And the average Thai does not know why, the school curriculum does not teach the entire history of the country just bits about Sukhothai, Ayutthaya, etc. They don't know shyt from shinola "because they are not taught it" The students don't know the significance of Krue Se, Tai Bak, and other atrocities perpetrated by the army and others against the Muslem minority in the south. AND THEN THEY WONDER why the Muslems are p!ssed off.

Know what you are saying but the Muslims in the south are another problem unrelated really to what happened in CM.

• Like 2

Of course they are the yellow shirts and just like little children they change their appearance every time when they see something on TV. Today a mask, tomorrow they call themselves Thai spring and say that Thailand is in a matter of fact the same as North korea because there are a lot of portraits of the big leader. But than did they look who is on the portraits or are they having eye trouble from wearing masks?

How do you KNOW they are Yellow Shirts. Do you KNOW all of them personally or is it the Red Shirts little book again?

• Like 2

OH s@#$ I thought they were wearing mickey mouse masks. Atleast they are funny looking in their masks. On more serious note, where else in the world do you find people protesting for freedom of speech etc wearing masks? I believe that if you are serious about human rights, press and political freedom, you are for these principles and not against anything or people specifically. But by being against the government (as their highest priority) and for these fundamental rights (as motivation for being against the government), negates the importance of these rights and clouds these issues in politics. Why can't there be an organization/movement/party thats for clean governance and human rights, without politicising the real issues at hand.

I really don't give a rats about red, yellow, multi coloured shirts or if people wear masks. However these thugs of reds who believe that the they are the only people who can rightly protest are parasites . For them its their way or the highway. I wonder if I can get a government grant to link low IQ with a mob behaviour mentality, I know where to start, Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

Not unexpected from Chiang Mai Rak 51. If they vaguely suspect you are a yelllow in disguise you are apparently fair game to be bullied. And the disengenous comment from Worawut that they only came to see what they were protesting about, but brought 200 people with loud speakers. They have this attitude that Chiang Mai is 100% red territory and how dare you exercise your right to protest. I live in Chiang Mai and can tell you that a lot of Thais here hate Thaksin, both rich and poor, but they are intimidated and keep quiet about it. Democracy eh? This group is one of the very worse examples of Red Shirt thuggishness.

Was or was it not members of this group , a couple years ago, that dragged out of his car, the father of some radio DJ, and killed him...... and what ever became of that incident and those individuals apprehended?

I believe they are the same group that attacked a gay parade as well. Sounds a bit like a fascist regime, a cult leader and a gang of thugs.

Seems like they want to attack anything that breathes or moves unless it is red in colour!!!!

I believe they are the same group that attacked a gay parade as well. Sounds a bit like a fascist regime, a cult leader and a gang of thugs.

Seems like they want to attack anything that breathes or moves unless it is red in colour!!!!

Pathetic isn't it? Just like a spoilt child that can't get it's own way!

Are the red shirts the same as the Nazi brown shirts? ph34r.png

We'll know if and when they burn down Parliament. The Red thugs need to swot up on the "Night of the Long Knives'. When their usefulness comes to an end a sticky end awaits.

Democracy is not just holding elections. The fact is that there is no democracy, no rule of law, no freedom of speech, consequently the realm will remain a 5th world country for the next 100-150 years. And the average Thai does not know why, the school curriculum does not teach the entire history of the country just bits about Sukhothai, Ayutthaya, etc. They don't know shyt from shinola "because they are not taught it" The students don't know the significance of Krue Se, Tai Bak, and other atrocities perpetrated by the army and others against the Muslem minority in the south. AND THEN THEY WONDER why the Muslems are p!ssed off.

Know what you are saying but the Muslims in the south are another problem unrelated really to what happened in CM.

if you actually read his post ,he was talking generally,,thaksin,,,,,

gonzo you are forgetting that red shirt Democracy has nothing to do with freedom unless you are a red shirt in that case murder is OK. Look at the fiasco that resulted in 2010 in Bangkok over 90 dead and not one red shirt charged with murder.

Is it not obvious to you there super human powers look right at a White mask and see a yellow shirt.

They are a superstitious lot fear having their picture taken I wonder if it is a feeling that the picture will take their soul?

Every time I come to the point where I think my opinion of them can not get any lower they prove me wrong.

Chiang Mai got of cheap last time to show us there superior intelligence they burned up a fire engine.

• Like 1

a age old adage......"you can't be half way pregnant" ..... either you are pregnant or you are not ,,,,, its yes or no

except in Thai News reporting

The Nation report this morning states that the police were present but did nothing to stop the 200 +/- Red Shirts from attacking the protestors causing some injuries

This report above, says the about 10 police officer intervened and settled things down.....

Which was it ......Intervened or didn't intervene

.......Injuries or no injuries

The Nation is highly activist in the way it 'reports'. It's a propaganda organization much more than a news organization. Similar to Fox News, et al.

Either way though, even under the very iffy current constitution, people have the right to voice their opinion. 'Confronting' demonstrators (even if you call it 'observing') just isn't the right thing to do. Predictably it causes a bad vibe, with both sides claiming the other side started it. Just have a different counter demonstration some place else, and let people be.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

No!!!! The red shirts wear red shirts and the brown shirts wear brown shirts just as Oswald Mosley's blackshirt movement wore black shirts!!

You should be seeing a pattern appearing now.

No!!!! The red shirts wear red shirts and the brown shirts wear brown shirts just as Oswald Mosley's blackshirt movement wore black shirts!!

You should be seeing a pattern appearing now.

I believe his question was referring to their politics and mindset, not fashion related.

I live in Chiang Mai when in Thailand and I have noticed a lot of the Thai people there are not fans of the redshirts but are not ready to oppose them either, would rather sit on the fence.

I wonder how long it will take before the general population of Issan and the moron redshirts themselves wake up to the fact that they have been used and duped ?

The only good thing I have found about the supporters of the PTP, Thaksin and his red thugs for hire is that it makes it easy to spot the braindead rednecks.

Just cause democracy here works in a different way than it does for some of us at home... Doesn't make it 'not democracy'. If u come from a half decent European country and you look at the USA, u could easily ask yourself the same question.
I'm not saying everything goes great in Thailand, but it just always amazes me how quickly people judge, how nobody but a few understand that democracy needs time to grow, and that there are many different forms and it can work in many different ways... THAT IS DEMOCRACY.

Saying democracy in Thailand is not democratic, is like saying Catholicism is the only correct form of Christianity.