Rhode island reds or rare breed of chickens

hoop

2 weeks a go i bought wheat ( full grain) for 10 Bath or 10,50 Bath the kg. Wheat meal cost 1/2 Bath more per kg.

But if you pay 580 Bath for 50 kg its normal price for me.

I buy a part of my feed in Roi Et in a Pigfarm and when i asked them why there have now wheat there told me the corn is to expensive now.

But when i have a look what is inside the wheat then is better than the corn. In my eyes.

How your gitlfriend an her sister know the wheat is more expensive than the corn?

In my opinion its not easy to get a profit from the layer when there run around. There must stay in a cage. Like on Big Horn's Photo. II mixed

I mixed up everything :) For Rice Ram I pay 520,- (get discount today 60,- thb) and for corn 450,- :)

If I would have opportunity to catch this wheat for 10,50 I will buy it for sure... at least to give them something more :)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 weeks a go i bought wheat ( full grain) for 10 Bath or 10,50 Bath the kg. Wheat meal cost 1/2 Bath more per kg.

But if you pay 580 Bath for 50 kg its normal price for me.

I buy a part of my feed in Roi Et in a Pigfarm and when i asked them why there have now wheat there told me the corn is to expensive now.

But when i have a look what is inside the wheat then is better than the corn. In my eyes.

How your gitlfriend an her sister know the wheat is more expensive than the corn?

In my opinion its not easy to get a profit from the layer when there run around. There must stay in a cage. Like on Big Horn's Photo. I

Hi man :)

Could you do me a favour please ? Can you send me some picture of the bag they are selling this wheat ? Or write down in thai how they call it ? That would be great help.

Thanks a lot in advance ;)

There is no "wheat bag"

But here the Thainame

ข้าวสาลี

Also here. I got the Thainame from wiki

https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B8%82%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B5

If you do a search on the web for wheat you should put this also in to your search

อาหารสัตว์ = animal feed

and your Provinzename where you live here. Normaly the search should show somethink.

The lam that you have in your hand is called lam klang ( middle rice polishings). Thais love it because you can see some very little pieces of broken rice. It has little protean and energy and IMHO is next to worthless as a poultry feed. It is a very high fiber feed, if you need the fiber. What you want is lam on (fine rice polishings). Years ago, I sent a sample of lam on to a lab in the states and it had 15% protein and off the chart on fat. A poultry expert there said it was the closest thing he ever say as a single feed for chickens. It is much finer than the lam klang, almost like a flour, and is shown in the photo listed as rice bran. In my calculations in my spreadsheet I use 12% protein as I would rather err on the low side.

My guess is that your 31% protein mix as a concentrate poultry mix that is intended to be mixed with whatever is available locally. It will have all the vitamins and minerals (chemicals) needed. I used to use a concentrated mash for baby pigs with rum on and ground corn for my quail. Now I can get soybean meal.

Here is something to try to get the old hens to laying better. Take a cup of used cooking oil and mix it with some feed. You want the feed coated, but not soaked. You can actually just sprinkle it on their regular feed, but only what they will eat in a few minutes. After a few days they will be crazy for this. It is also a way to fatten birds to slaughter. Increased fat in their diet can help older birds lay a little better.

I use corn screenings, soybean meal (the same as you), fine rice bran, and a calcium mix with minerals in my feed mix and shoot for 16% protein. I occasionally supplement with greens, fruit,…ect and occasionally let them have a walk. Unless wheat is easily available and cheap, I would not worry about it. I wouldn’t use any whole grains that need to be ground. Fish meal may end up being a cheaper alternative to soybean meal, but I have heard that it can change the flavor of the egg. I think it is something like 70% protein and if I could get it easily at the fight price I would use it some.

For corn screenings find a corn meal and ask for kee kapoet. They should have a pile laying around and you bag it yourself. Corn screenings are a commodity in the states and I have seen it rated as 7.8% to 8.1%, but I use 7% in my calculations. It does not require grinding.

I recommend you give the hens all they can eat or at least 140-150 grams per bird.

If you still have hens laying on the ground (because they spent their lives laying in cages, put some nests very near the floor. When they start laying in the nests, slowly raising them. If you have a hen that breaks and eats a perfectly good egg you need to cull her.

Good Luck,

I will pm my email so you can reach me to get my spreadsheet for feed. If you will include the size of the bag/price/protein content my spreadsheet will show you the price per kg of protein content.

Does anybody know where I can buy a few RR chicks in Prachinburi

The Thainame for RR chicken are

โร้ด ไอแลนด์ แดง

and this is Prachinburi

ปราจีนบุรี

Maybe you find somethink. On Facebook there are many people who like to sell.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know where I can buy a few RR chicks in Prachinburi

Hey people !!! Why so quiet here ?

I have a question - after one of my hens (RIR) get broody seems like some of them get crazy and get broody as well (epidemic :D ) one mixed but very beautiful and well presented Warren and 2 more RIR (but they have gray ish legs).

I moved one to the separate area and she is CooL - she seats on the nest with 10 eggs and seems happy. But the other 2 RIR and 1 Warren don't want to be in this separate area they don't want to seat on prepared nest. I've tried to move them but everyone just wanted to get out and go straight to her nest where hens usually laying eggs. I gave up and decided to don't touch them... just make sure that they are sitting on RIR eggs :D

But I'm a bit concerned because my nests for laying hens are around 60-70 cm above ground. So what will happen when small chicks will come into this world ?

post-175342-0-15976800-1447221109_thumb.

post-175342-0-93459400-1447221152_thumb.

post-175342-0-63595500-1447221189_thumb.

post-175342-0-95946200-1447221221_thumb.

So what will happen when small chicks will come into this world ?

I took away the small chicks from the mother and keep them seperate from them. On the first days with a light but there are easy. Snake, crow and i dont know what somethink else cut only the number of chicks.

I took away the small chicks from the mother and keep them seperate from them. On the first days with a light but there are easy. Snake, crow and i dont know what somethink else cut only the number of chicks.

I would like to keep mother with chicks... But I will have 2-3 hens with small ones at the same time, more-less... I have separate place inside coop which is secure enough but I'm afraid that hens gonna fight each other in such small area :/

If you are trying to make a profit, you really do not want your hens sitting on eggs. This will take them out of production for around 6 weeks or so and that is if you take the chicks away when they hatch. if you let her raise the chicks then she will be out of product for close to 3 months and is much more likely to become broody again. The chicks raised by the hen will tend to go broody more often than those hatched in an incubator. If you gather the eggs several times a day the hens will become broody less often.

If you want chicks, it is much better to get an incubator and make larger hatches. I have found that when 1 hen goes broody, other will follow. If you take the chicks away from the mother you will need to provide heat for a couple of weeks or so depending on the weather and will need to raise them separately from the adult birds and other young birds that are much different in size. If you want to have your hens do the hatching the nest can be several feet off the ground. when the chicks are about a day or two old the mother will jump down and call to them and they will all jump no problems. If 2 hens set a nest together usually the dominant hen will get all the chicks, but some may stay with each hen. They will sort this out. If you don't have abut 10 hens to each rooster or at the most 15 hens to a rooster, then many of the eggs may not be fertile and won't hatch. If you want the hens to set then take the eggs away and put 12-13 eggs all the same age under her so the eggs hatch closer together time wise. A mother hen with chicks will usually knock the crap out of any other chickens bothering her chicks.

If you do not want your hens setting then build a broody cage. Any wire cage with wire bottom and no nest. Put the chicken or chickens in the cage (above the ground) for abut 5 days with plenty of food and water. You can also get a spray bottle like you would use to mist plants and spray the hen's bottom. This will help cool her off. After about 5 days put back and see if she still wants to set eggs. If she is ok, then it will take her about 10 or so days to start laying again

If you are trying to make a profit, you really do not want your hens sitting on eggs. This will take them out of production for around 6 weeks or so and that is if you take the chicks away when they hatch. if you let her raise the chicks then she will be out of product for close to 3 months and is much more likely to become broody again. The chicks raised by the hen will tend to go broody more often than those hatched in an incubator. If you gather the eggs several times a day the hens will become broody less often.

If you want chicks, it is much better to get an incubator and make larger hatches. I have found that when 1 hen goes broody, other will follow. If you take the chicks away from the mother you will need to provide heat for a couple of weeks or so depending on the weather and will need to raise them separately from the adult birds and other young birds that are much different in size. If you want to have your hens do the hatching the nest can be several feet off the ground. when the chicks are about a day or two old the mother will jump down and call to them and they will all jump no problems. If 2 hens set a nest together usually the dominant hen will get all the chicks, but some may stay with each hen. They will sort this out. If you don't have abut 10 hens to each rooster or at the most 15 hens to a rooster, then many of the eggs may not be fertile and won't hatch. If you want the hens to set then take the eggs away and put 12-13 eggs all the same age under her so the eggs hatch closer together time wise. A mother hen with chicks will usually knock the crap out of any other chickens bothering her chicks.

If you do not want your hens setting then build a broody cage. Any wire cage with wire bottom and no nest. Put the chicken or chickens in the cage (above the ground) for abut 5 days with plenty of food and water. You can also get a spray bottle like you would use to mist plants and spray the hen's bottom. This will help cool her off. After about 5 days put back and see if she still wants to set eggs. If she is ok, then it will take her about 10 or so days to start laying again

Well... I have now 5 hens sitting on eggs... some others want to do so as well but I'm putting them to my "detention center" (on pictures) for "bad" chickens (which I build few days ago) which are superactive like to fight, eat eggs (not all of them) etc etc... There they have no time to seat on nest because some moron will disturb them all the time... and the nests are not so cozy in there like in the coop. I have no problem to give up 5 hens to take care of their chicks special that woman from Dok Am Thai I bought chickens (those superactive) from cheat me and sold me more less 6 months older hens than she says so in 6 months time I will have to replace 50 chicks anyway smile.png So can I keep them with entire flock ? Mother will not allow other hens to hurt them ? Some of the broody hens seems scared of other chickens... unless after hatching there gonna be some transformation in them and they become superhens biggrin.png

post-175342-0-30473800-1447332916_thumb.

post-175342-0-41073400-1447333008_thumb.

Edited by Kularion

Guys do the broodiness of my hens can affect laying eggs of other chickens ? I mean since I have broody hens (now 6 of them sitting on eggs) looks like eggs production drop a bit (10-15%)... Rest of the hens looks like they don't like broody hens because they try to hit them as soon as they leave nest to eat, drink and release themselves... btw until I didn't keep my own chickens I never thought that those birds are so vicious creatures... sometimes I'm disgusted :/

post-175342-0-83384500-1447734828_thumb.

post-175342-0-53338100-1447734841_thumb.

Edited by Kularion

It could be due to molting?

And yes,they seem to be very cruel to eachother! The pecking order is really a difficult thing to deal with sometimes,new and younger chickens seem to be chased around all day and some are too scared to eat.

We always make sure we feed the weaker ones separate because if we do not do that they will remain under weight and any kind of disease or infection will kill them surely.

We have a lot of different breeds and it is not easy to keep them all happy,the ones we keep for breeding we keep as pairs and the rest we let roam free in the day time.

We find the best way is to put eggs in the inc. and that does not upset the pecking order.

It could be due to molting?

And yes,they seem to be very cruel to each other! The pecking order is really a difficult thing to deal with sometimes,new and younger chickens seem to be chased around all day and some are too scared to eat.

We always make sure we feed the weaker ones separate because if we do not do that they will remain under weight and any kind of disease or infection will kill them surely.

We have a lot of different breeds and it is not easy to keep them all happy,the ones we keep for breeding we keep as pairs and the rest we let roam free in the day time.

We find the best way is to put eggs in the inc. and that does not upset the pecking order.

Try to feed the weaker ones separate when you have 250 chickens :D There is always some weaker... when I think that this one is the weakest she starts to pick up on some other... even weaker :) There is chasing and fighting all they long in the coop and outside... I just hope that from those hens I will have 30 or so small chicks (and not many roosters) so I can sell some of the old ones :D

Be sure there is enough Protein inside your chickenfeed.

Remember what Jotham wrote:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok my first hen have her chicks (Y) :)

Now in the matter of days I should have rest of them done with it ;)

I think about putting them separate from flock when I will have all of them already but there gonna be like 30-40 so I will need some big space... and there is very cold at night now... I have to look for some kind of warming light :)

post-175342-0-04089500-1448587713_thumb.

post-175342-0-38920000-1448587723_thumb.

When you take them away from the mother they need heat like you said,we use a 60 watt light bulb and hang it about 20cm of the ground.

They will stay close when they need the warmth and will move away when it is too hot.

We have had a lot of chicks this year and we all raise them like this.

Use a box or crate and move them to something bigger when they grow.

A big issue is keeping water clean so we put the water containers of the ground.It is very easy to get them really tame this way.

When you take them away from the mother they need heat like you said,we use a 60 watt light bulb and hang it about 20cm of the ground.

They will stay close when they need the warmth and will move away when it is too hot.

We have had a lot of chicks this year and we all raise them like this.

Use a box or crate and move them to something bigger when they grow.

A big issue is keeping water clean so we put the water containers of the ground.It is very easy to get them really tame this way.

Yes, that's what I want to do... just waiting few days when few more will have chicks :)

I have not small, separated area inside the coop where I keep broody hens (2 of them) so as soon as they will hatch I will move them out and put there small chicks :) Hope to have 30-40 of them this time... I'm curious how many roosters :P:D

Btw. I have one Warren rooster who is separated with around 60 Warren hens (I will sell them in few weeks) if I will put him into general coop with 3 RIR roosters they gonna kill him or they will sort things out after a some fights? Now they live next to each other but there is fence between them so they can't really fight and as on the beginning they try tro attack fence right now they don't do this anymore :)

post-175342-0-31648600-1448615475_thumb.

It all depends on a few things,some roosters are more aggressive then others ,usually over here they do not fight too much because if they fight the loser can get away.

If the pen is big enough they have room to run and hide.

you can put them together and see what happens but in the worst case scenario they can kill each other!

We have one rooster who is taking care of small chicks and he does defend them if they are being chased by somechicken else.

It all depends on a few things,some roosters are more aggressive then others ,usually over here they do not fight too much because if they fight the loser can get away.

If the pen is big enough they have room to run and hide.

you can put them together and see what happens but in the worst case scenario they can kill each other!

We have one rooster who is taking care of small chicks and he does defend them if they are being chased by somechicken else.

Problem is that I have 3 big RIR roosters 1,5 year old... and they don't really get along with this 1 Warren rooster (smaller) 2,5 years old... special the weakest RIR rooster wants to fight him...

post-175342-0-37135000-1448670852_thumb.

post-175342-0-45478600-1448670864_thumb.

post-175342-0-30047800-1448670876_thumb.

Yesterday I was visiting friends and appears that they keep some chickens on their backyard smile.png

They promise me that when they will have small chicks I will get few... cross of this Plymouth Rock rooster and hen which looks like Black Australorp.

I'm very curious what this gonna be and how they will looks like... can't wait already smile.png

post-175342-0-23797900-1448757305_thumb.

post-175342-0-00798700-1448757314_thumb.

post-175342-0-00585600-1448757320_thumb.

post-175342-0-54285500-1448757326_thumb.

post-175342-0-67841800-1448757336_thumb.

post-175342-0-69911500-1448757346_thumb.

Edited by Kularion

Looking at size, I would say a good bird to eat or gather eggs from. I have never had experience with them

so dont trust my assisment as being correct.

This rooster is same size or little smaller as my RIR roosters... I would buy him but I'm afraid that my guys would waste him :/

I need help people !!!

In my flock pecking feathers starts to be a big problem.

When all this started slowly and with very delicate picking from time to time, now things escalate very quick and in bad way.

Around 25-30% of my 200 hens now have this habit and even my RIR which never do this before starts to do so.

Now they picking feather to the blood even sometimes and once they see blood bunch of birds is there at once and nearly kill this injured hen... I had 3 cases like that so far.

They are picking always from tail area or from chest but the worst injuries are always in back/tail area (special air tube).

I think they have enough proteins as 20% of my food is soya meal with 45% of proteins (as per producer) 30% small corn, 30% rice ram (good quality), 10% small rice and 10% whole rice seeds. If I'm doing something wrong here please correct me.

I'm trying to give them enough food that they don't run out and they can always come to feeder and eat something. They have always fresh water all the time.

I noticed that this pecking starts when hens starts to become broody - coincident ? I seriously don't know but this start to be real problem for me.

In around 5 month time I will rid of around 50 hens as my small chicks will grow up but for now I have to deal with it somehow and all advices would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Btw. so far 26 small chicks and they are doing great. I lost one due to his escape from crate and dog or snake take him :/

post-175342-0-03794700-1449191532_thumb.

Are They pecking their own feathers?Not really clear on that,if that is the case there has to be some kind of parasite they are trying to get rid off.

Do you give them anything like termites,grass,veggies to eat so they have something to distract them?

I would think if they attack each other there is something missing from the diet,give them something to keep them busy .

I have never encountered this problem but i would start taking them out as soon as i saw who was doing it and so get a view of how widespread the problem is.

Maybe it is just a few birds doing it?

Are They pecking their own feathers?Not really clear on that,if that is the case there has to be some kind of parasite they are trying to get rid off.

Do you give them anything like termites,grass,veggies to eat so they have something to distract them?

I would think if they attack each other there is something missing from the diet,give them something to keep them busy .

I have never encountered this problem but i would start taking them out as soon as i saw who was doing it and so get a view of how widespread the problem is.

Maybe it is just a few birds doing it?

Hi, thanks for answer.

First - they pecking feathers on others hens.

This behaviour become a problem because as I said 25-30 % of chickens do this.

Fighting is normal as this is to establish/remind order in the flock but picking feathers is not.

Some of them looks like do nothing else just walking around and looks for victim to steal from her some feathers.

I can't take out 30% of my flock :)

I give them some termites, grass etc from time to time... but I will try to do more often,,, I increased also amount of soya in the food since yesterday.

Will see how it work.

I did some research on the net and it seems once it becomes a habit it is very difficult to stop it.

Chickens are cannibalistic and will eat eachother and also any other (dead) meat.

I even heard stories of one flock which started to eat the owner after he died in the coop,

You may end up having to take all of the bad ones out in order to stop this behaviour,ones a bird is bleeding it also encourages new birds to start pecking.

We have lost a lot of young birds this year but i am very happy we do not have the problem you are having.

Look up 'the chicken chick' on google,she has a lot of info on this.