Booming Udon

barrybankruad

There's a very interesting article in today's Yahoo News about Udon Thani. It gives an American perspective on the city and its potential importance for the future of Thailand. It also gives an insight into the prospects for the whole of Isaan and the political impact that the Shinawatras have had on the region. It's no wonder that this part of the world is a red stronghold. See.....

http://news.yahoo.com/thailands-boom-northeast-spoils-024230882.html

I like Udon and think it has transformed itself since I first went 8 years ago enormously. Whereas some things are much much better when I go I look around and don't see many people walking around with shopping bags. Many shops/clinics in Central seem quiet just the food mall is busy. Central/Landmark/ITPlaza are just full of phone and computer shops and I see little business being done at any.

Great that restaurants like Wine Society have come in but I do feel that there is something false about a lot of it. Wish Chang didn't sponsor the entertainment area but that and all the little shops and market there are also a good addition.

When I go I see the food and drink outlets usually busy but apart from the Hiso (and how many are there in Udon) I don't see Isaan people being rich enough or willing enough to spend their increased income to support all this. And there is virtually no tourism to fall back on.

I hope it gets better and I hope it succeeds but is it to much to quick.

One more. Have you been to Index or the Premium Outlet. Been a few times and never seen it other than as a ghost town.

I agree that many of the places are quiet midweek. But I intentionally avoid shopping and entertainment on weekends because the places are too crowded. Seems all of Issan, and Laos, converges on Udon on the weekend.

• Like 1

I agree that many of the places are quiet midweek. But I intentionally avoid shopping and entertainment on weekends because the places are too crowded. Seems all of Issan, and Laos, converges on Udon on the weekend.

Must admit it is in the week when I go. Maybe I should try a weekend. No maybe better shopping in the week as you say.

Wondering if the article is similiar to an article that came out yesterday in the Singapore straits. Talk about a booming northeast region.. maybe in the future possibly but unless im wrong thailand in general is still a export driven economy. A article that came out a few months ago asked thai's why they did not go back to work in the northeast they said no high paying jobs like bangkok.

Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Wondering if the article is similiar to an article that came out yesterday in the Singapore straits. Talk about a booming northeast region.. maybe in the future possibly but unless im wrong thailand in general is still a export driven economy. A article that came out a few months ago asked thai's why they did not go back to work in the northeast they said no high paying jobs like bangkok.

Yes I agree. Where is the disposable income to keep driving Udon forward coming from. I say with deference to people who have been at the weekend like 'farangme'. I will go one Saturday keep meaning to go to the horse racing.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I agree. Where is the disposable income to keep driving Udon forward coming from. I say with deference to people who have been at the weekend like 'farangme'. I will go one Saturday keep meaning to go to the horse racing.

Big money coming from Lao elite. Our housing estate has lots of them. Also, just look at the number of luxury cars with Lao plates. On weekends, Central turns into Little Vientianne.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app