Infant going through Thai Immigration at the airport with a Thai and Canadian Passport

rhino533

Slightly different situation. I have a NZ & Australian passport. Last time I travelled to Australia, my Australian passport had expired so I was entering Australia showing my NZ passport (didn't have the Aus passport with me). Australian immigration were not impressed that I was using my NZ passport to enter the country!

That is because entering on your NZ passport Australia would technically be granting you a visa. Visa's (even for NZ citizens) come with technical limitations on their conditions of stay. Simply, you can't, by rights, refuse entry to Australian citizens to enter their own countries, nor, can you provide them conditions for staying in their own country!

Thailand doesn't do this (ie you can enter Thailand on your foreign passport even if you are a Thai citizen), but you then are subject to visa rules in your own country. A strange world we live in!

Thatnwould be a sight, Thai immigration fining a Thai witha Thai passport for overstaying in Thailand on their foreign passport!

On the upside, I'm sure going for a 12 month extension of stay would be easy, if not completely perplexing the brains of every immigration officer present.

No great benefits.

I use the Thai immigration line even when I travel Alone!

So, I ask again, are there any real benefits? Inheriting land is a good one but I can't see any others.

Cheers

In our situation, that would be enough. Surely there are more and I don't know of any disadvantages? So there ya go. :)

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Well, if you don't know any!!!

Disadvantage is having to renew and pay for something that's not used and has no advantages. Just send me the cash!!

I'm sure you'll change your tact when your kids are put into the Thai forces.

Well, if you don't know any!!!

Disadvantage is having to renew and pay for something that's not used and has no advantages. Just send me the cash!!

I'm sure you'll change your tact when your kids are put into the Thai forces.

Depends if you want to live and work in Thailand or not really doesn't it?

For me, the ease of living here, running my own business with the shareholding I want. Flash my Thai ID card and a whole lot of paperwork needed for foreigners vanishes.

As I work in the region, travelling around on my Thai passport is generally easier with little or need for visa's for business trips.

As for the Thai forces, plenty of legit ways to get out of it, so no, it doesn't change my tact.

• Like 1

It makes be laugh when someone asks a question about dual passports like this is something just introduced.

My kid had a Thai passport as it was new to me 10 years ago. Now, my wife who is now a UK citizen only has her British passport. She still has and renews her Thai ID card.

My British born kid also only has a British passport.

I can't see any benefit in having both.

Are there any real benefits?

Depends on where you live and how often and long you visit Thailand and other Asean countries.

Edit, just noticed the previous post, seems we are in agreement.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1