'White Mask' Guards Seen Trying To Hit Redshirts With Iron Bars

Lite Beer

Your avarage Brit has no idea about Guy Fawkes apart from the fact they can get a bit more merry than usual, burn af fire, let off some firewokks ect.

So who the <deleted> came up with idea?? probably somebody who new a lot about British history .

More than your average brit perhaps some with a joly good education!They're not taken from Guy Fawkes but Anonymous, the internet hacking morons, who took the idea from Alan Moore's V for Vendetta graphic novel/movie. Now seen as a symbol of revolt against tyranny, fascism and thuggish govt tactics.Perfect when dealing with the fascist reds really.

You are 100% correct, sir. That is the definition of the origin and meaning of these masks today.

The origin of the Guy Fawkes mask is about 400 years old and were commonly worn in Britain to celebrate Guy Fawkes night on 5th November each year.

Effigies of Guy Fawkes have been burnt since the Gunpowder plot to assassinate King James I of England (IV of Scotland).

The Thais are copying the Bahrain protesters, who in turn were copying the 'Occupy' protesters - nothing more. And for an ultra-Royalist group a delicious dumb irony wearing marks of a figure that planned to commit regicide.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nazis used several religious symbols in their propaganda, often very deliberately, but that is off-topic.

My point is the stupidity and irony in an ultra-Royalist group wearing the mask of a man who planned to assassinate a monarch.

Over and above copying from the Bahrain protests this obviously wasn't considered.

Of course we could continue to point out that this group supports a military coup and is for the most part anti-democratic, and certainly is not campaigning for any sort of freedoms at all, unlike the previous groups that have used this mask.

Edited by FarangTalk

The Nazis used several religious symbols in their propaganda, often very deliberately, but that is off-topic.

My point is the stupidity and irony in an ultra-Royalist group wearing the mask of a man who planned to assassinate a monarch.

Over and above copying from the Bahrain protests this obviously wasn't considered.

Of course we could continue to point out that this group supports a military coup and is for the most part anti-democratic, and certainly is not campaigning for any sort of freedoms at all, unlike the precious groups that have used this mask.

Indeed, it is highly unoriginal, and I think more to try to court favour with the international press by adopting the mask as something that is recognisable.

However, as you note, in campaigning on the points that they do, they are the antithesis of what Anonymous or Occupy stands for. The sad thing also, is that Occupy or Anonymous have continually laboured the point that their protests are peaceful. Nice to see that just about everything that the meaning has been commandeered and bastardised completely.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Your avarage Brit has no idea about Guy Fawkes apart from the fact they can get a bit more merry than usual, burn af fire, let off some firewokks ect.

So who the <deleted> came up with idea?? probably somebody who new a lot about British history .

More than your average brit perhaps some with a joly good education!They're not taken from Guy Fawkes but Anonymous, the internet hacking morons, who took the idea from Alan Moore's V for Vendetta graphic novel/movie. Now seen as a symbol of revolt against tyranny, fascism and thuggish govt tactics.Perfect when dealing with the fascist reds really.

You are 100% correct, sir. That is the definition of the origin and meaning of these masks today.

The origin of the Guy Fawkes mask is about 400 years old and were commonly worn in Britain to celebrate Guy Fawkes night on 5th November each year.

Effigies of Guy Fawkes have been burnt since the Gunpowder plot to assassinate King James I of England (IV of Scotland).

The Thais are copying the Bahrain protesters, who in turn were copying the 'Occupy' protesters - nothing more. And for an ultra-Royalist group a delicious dumb irony wearing marks of a figure that planned to commit regicide.

I see what you are trying to do. You are trying to attribute motives to the Thai white mask wearers that they, themselves, wouldn't recognize. Thais could give a rat's ass who else used the masks for whatever purpose before them. They know it means anti PTP and anti Thaksin and that is enough for them.

I would bet that 100% of the anti-Thaksin protestors who are wearing the GF masks have no idea who GF was or represents nor or they aware the Bahrain protestors used them or that they are copying the Occupy Wall Street protestors. You are forgetting that Thais have zero interest in things non-Thai, excepting K-pop. and that this whole GF mask idea comes from internal Thai social media which is quite extensive.

Of course we could continue to point out that this group supports a military coup and is for the most part anti-democratic, and certainly is not campaigning for any sort of freedoms at all, unlike the previous groups that have used this mask.

That is precisely the topic, or the part you wish to avoid.

The Germans didn't care about the origins of the swastika, just as Thais don't care about Guy Fawkes. THEY JUST DON'T CARE.

A symbol represents to people what they want it to represent. In this case it is peaceful protest against oppression, or whatever else they may like to attach to it. Your bleating about anti-monarchy is nothing more than a smear attempt for people who never expressed such a sentiment, as is your attempt to portray them as ignorant and/or stupid.

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 1

The Germans didn't care about the origins of the swastika, just as Thais don't care about Guy Fawkes. THEY JUST DON'T CARE.

A symbol represents to people what they want it to represent. In this case it is peaceful protest against oppression, or whatever else they may like to attach to it. Your bleating about anti-monarchy is nothing more than a smear attempt for people who never expressed such a sentiment, as is your attempt to portray them as ignorant and/or stupid.

Fair enough, you say they don't care.

I think they are just ignorant.

However it does not lessen the irony or the inappropriateness of using a symbol of anti-fascism, anti-establishment and anarchy when calling for the removal of elected governments by military coups. Especially given the history of the military here; their fascist connections and their utter, unequivocal support for authoritarianism and contempt for democracy, exhibited throughout the 70+ years of Thai constitutional monarchy.

In addition, regardless of what people believe are the modern connotations of the mask, the Guy Fawkes mask traditionally represents regicide and the plot to blow up the House of Lords.

Comic books and Hollywood won't change that.

Edited by FarangTalk

One doesn't have to be a 'ultra-Royalist' to be against Dr. Thaksin and his very own PTP raping the country. You are so obviously unaligned with the white-mask movement that maybe you couldn't know if they support a military coup or are for the most part anti-democratic. Do you have any of their speeches, publications, etc. to back up your accusations? Maybe you just want to slur them by calling them 'stupid' and saying they want a military coup and are 'for the most part anti-democratic', without any supporting evidence except your own amazing ability to read their intentions behind those white masks they wear.

• Like 2

However it does not lessen the irony or the inappropriateness of using a symbol of anti-fascism, anti-establishment and anarchy when calling for the removal of elected governments by military coups. Especially given the history of the military here; their fascist connections and their utter, unequivocal support for authoritarianism and contempt for democracy, exhibited throughout the 70+ years of Thai constitutional monarchy.

In addition, regardless of what people believe are the modern connotations of the mask, the Guy Fawkes mask traditionally represents regicide and the plot to blow up the House of Lords.

Do you think that the thousands of protesters around the world that wear the white masks are also wanting to overthrow their monarchies?

• Like 1

You think they are ignorant - I doubt they care about that either.

Your name-calling rant would be more appropriate if you were to attach support for your claims.

Do you recognise the swastika as a symbol of good luck or nazism? Does the change of a symbol's meaning need your approval?

I think the "Masks" may be walking a thin line.

attachicon.gifV.png

One doesn't have to be a 'ultra-Royalist' to be against Dr. Thaksin and his very own PTP raping the country. You are so obviously unaligned with the white-mask movement that maybe you couldn't know if they support a military coup or are for the most part anti-democratic. Do you have any of their speeches, publications, etc. to back up your accusations? Maybe you just want to slur them by calling them 'stupid' and saying they want a military coup and are 'for the most part anti-democratic', without any supporting evidence except your own amazing ability to read their intentions behind those white masks they wear.

The two people behind the movement are funnily enough, former Yellow Shirt leaders.

Keep going, digging yourself a bigger hole and I will post a lot more you don't know about this group.

Except that the mask represents Guy Fawkes who planned to commit regicide and the plot was religiously motivated to kill a protestant monarch and put a catholic back on the throne. Fair stupidity for an ultra-Royalist group you have to admit.

If the red shirts are fascist what are the coup supporting, military backed ultra-royalists? Liberals?

Get a grip.

The mask doesn't represent what Guy Fawkes did. It represents what the guy in "V for Vendetta" did. "V for Vendetta" wasn't about regicide. It was about corrupt governments.

Why do you think David Lloyd chose Guy Fawkes as a symbol for the comic?

I would link to the other paper, but unfortunately cannot.

On the 15th, the first line of the article is "calls for a coup by some participants in the white mask movement are unacceptable" say 55% of people surveyed in an Abac poll.

Now, I can see some pictures on New Mandala with white masks marching around with placards stating "Overthrow the government". If you want to be anti-coup, how would anyone "overthrow" the government any other way?

On the 15th, the first line of the article is "calls for a coup by some participants in the white mask movement are unacceptable" say 55% of people surveyed in an Abac poll.

Now, I can see some pictures on New Mandala with white masks marching around with placards stating "Overthrow the government". If you want to be anti-coup, how would anyone "overthrow" the government any other way?

Indeed.

I think however reasonable discourse is not possible in this regard.

They seem to have absolutely no knowledge of who is behind this group and their aims.

"On the 15th....." would be the best example of hearsay evidence I could think of - a newspaper report of a poll question about alleged claims. Try harder.

How do you overthrow a government without a coup? How about MPs deciding they no longer wish to be members of a government and withdrawing from it? I'm sure that happened somewhere in the last few years.

Indeed.

They seem to have absolutely no knowledge of who is behind this group and their aims.

The issue is I think, that 90% of these placards are pre-prepared to be held up, people hold them up, and don't even consider the consequences of the meaning. There is an excellent article in new mandala with direct quotes from the white mask participants claiming "the reason I am here is because I want the government to stop lying about the budget", "I don't want Thailand to turn into a dictatorship" etc etc.

Problem is, of course, the so called organisers don't come up with anything much more original than "overthrow the Thaksin Regieme" or "long live the King" for the English banners, which of course goes virtually 100% against what the protestors views actually are. Maybe the public impression provided by the placards is completely against what the majority of the protestors actually want to portray, but that is the message that is getting across.

Someone needs to come up with some better placards if the White masks want to be perceived as not supporting a coup, or pushing a pro-monarchy line.

• Like 1

Somebody mentioned it was "Fake white masks?..." I doubt the guards would be fake and I doubt there would be a fake radio transmission.

Someone mentioned that the red shirts being across the road was provocative to the white masks. I disagree. The Ratchaprasong area was the site of the red shirt fiasco and so the white masks demonstrating in the area would be a provocation.

I think we are in for some interesting times.

Indeed.

Their aims as stated is to remove this Thaksin controlled government.

with that short-term goal in mind, I don't care who is behind it. PAD, KKK, Arab slave traders, even NAMBLA, would be acceptable allies for the duration of the campaign.

• Like 2

Somebody mentioned it was "Fake white masks?..." I doubt the guards would be fake and I doubt there would be a fake radio transmission.

Someone mentioned that the red shirts being across the road was provocative to the white masks. I disagree. The Ratchaprasong area was the site of the red shirt fiasco and so the white masks demonstrating in the area would be a provocation.

Ah its a turf wars now...........

http://youtu.be/KP0OaUOQGCg

Edited by waza

"On the 15th....." would be the best example of hearsay evidence I could think of - a newspaper report of a poll question about alleged claims. Try harder.

How do you overthrow a government without a coup? How about MPs deciding they no longer wish to be members of a government and withdrawing from it? I'm sure that happened somewhere in the last few years.

Why is ABAC even asking the question if it isn't an issue? Looking at their facebook page, their message seems pretty clear, anti-corruption, anti-dictatorship.

If they lay off the coup rhetoric, this thing will really have some traction.

Indeed.

Their aims as stated is to remove this Thaksin controlled government.

with that short-term goal in mind, I don't care who is behind it. PAD, KKK, Arab slave traders, even NAMBLA, would be acceptable allies for the duration of the campaign.

I would have to agree. Looking at the pictures on the V For Thailand facebook page, it seems as though the protests yesterday were spread all over the country, which isn't really being reported in the press, and had some pretty good support. Pretty brave of them to protest geographically in Khon Kaen, Buriram, Chiang Rai or Chonburi and other places. If they do it next week, lets see what happens.

The ante will be upped, no doubt.

For how long will the Ratchaprasong area belong solely to the red shirts? should they be allowed to establish a red village there, and ban all non-red clad persons entry?

It's amazing the number of things that are "offensive" and "provocative" to red shirts, and all of these seem to be acceptable grounds for violence (to some). Remember the protesters attacked as they placed a wreath with a wall clock outside parliament - OK because it might have been a bomb.

• Like 2

I would hope 98% of respondents would be against a military coup or even a coup as was tried by Dr. Thaksin at Ratchaprasong in 2010. An important question was not asked/answered: What percentage of the anti Thaksin/PTP protestors are calling for a military coup? Do you have any record of speeches, literature being passed out, signs ('overthrow the Thaksin government' is not a call for military action) calling for the military to step in? Overthrowing the government can be done at the ballot box.

Why is ABAC even asking the question if it isn't an issue? Looking at their facebook page, their message seems pretty clear, anti-corruption, anti-dictatorship.

If they lay off the coup rhetoric, this thing will really have some traction.

I have no idea of ABAC's motives. But there are many claims that the WMs are calling for a coup with little evidence. if that was the best available...........

• Like 1

I think the "Masks" may be walking a thin line.

attachicon.gifV.png

The two people behind the movement are funnily enough, former Yellow Shirt leaders.

Keep going, digging yourself a bigger hole and I will post a lot more you don't know about this group.

That is as maybe. I think the interesting thing about this, is it might, just might spin off into something that isn't "Yellow" in it's ethos, but hopefully an anti-corruption, anti-dictatorship movement. I haven't heard quotes from any of the speeches at these protests. It would be interesting to know what line they take.

I can't help thinking this has Sondhi Limtongkul all over it. Say what you like about the bloke, but he is extremely good at getting his message across through all types of media. Latching onto the white mask idea shows an awful lot of media savvy.