'White Mask' Guards Seen Trying To Hit Redshirts With Iron Bars

Lite Beer

I try not to comment too much on political issues and I see nothing wrong with peaceful protests but whats with these masks? Usually people who hide their face have done something or are cosidering doing something illegal.

• Like 1

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that the mask represents Guy Fawkes who planned to commit regicide and the plot was religiously motivated to kill a protestant monarch and put a catholic back on the throne. Fair stupidity for an ultra-Royalist group you have to admit.

If the red shirts are fascist what are the coup supporting, military backed ultra-royalists? Liberals?

Get a grip.

The mask doesn't represent what Guy Fawkes did. It represents what the guy in "V for Vendetta" did. "V for Vendetta" wasn't about regicide. It was about corrupt governments.

Why do you think David Lloyd chose Guy Fawkes as a symbol for the comic?

Not for anything to do with the Monarchy, it would seem.

"Why don't we portray him as a resurrected Guy Fawkes, complete with one of those papier-mâché masks, in a cape and a conical hat? He'd look really bizarre and it would give Guy Fawkes the image he's deserved all these years. We shouldn't burn the chap every Nov. 5th but celebrate his attempt to blow up Parliament!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_mask#V_for_Vendetta

Edited by whybother

I think the "Masks" may be walking a thin line.

attachicon.gifV.png

The Nazis used several religious symbols in their propaganda, often very deliberately, but that is off-topic.

My point is the stupidity and irony in an ultra-Royalist group wearing the mask of a man who planned to assassinate a monarch.

Over and above copying from the Bahrain protests this obviously wasn't considered.

Of course we could continue to point out that this group supports a military coup and is for the most part anti-democratic, and certainly is not campaigning for any sort of freedoms at all, unlike the previous groups that have used this mask.

One doesn't have to be a 'ultra-Royalist' to be against Dr. Thaksin and his very own PTP raping the country. You are so obviously unaligned with the white-mask movement that maybe you couldn't know if they support a military coup or are for the most part anti-democratic. Do you have any of their speeches, publications, etc. to back up your accusations? Maybe you just want to slur them by calling them 'stupid' and saying they want a military coup and are 'for the most part anti-democratic', without any supporting evidence except your own amazing ability to read their intentions behind those white masks they wear.

The two people behind the movement are funnily enough, former Yellow Shirt leaders.

Keep going, digging yourself a bigger hole and I will post a lot more you don't know about this group.

You haven't posted anything but slur and innuendo yet. I await anything substantial from you.

• Like 2

The Nazis used several religious symbols in their propaganda, often very deliberately, but that is off-topic.

My point is the stupidity and irony in an ultra-Royalist group wearing the mask of a man who planned to assassinate a monarch.

Over and above copying from the Bahrain protests this obviously wasn't considered.

Of course we could continue to point out that this group supports a military coup and is for the most part anti-democratic, and certainly is not campaigning for any sort of freedoms at all, unlike the previous groups that have used this mask.

One doesn't have to be a 'ultra-Royalist' to be against Dr. Thaksin and his very own PTP raping the country. You are so obviously unaligned with the white-mask movement that maybe you couldn't know if they support a military coup or are for the most part anti-democratic. Do you have any of their speeches, publications, etc. to back up your accusations? Maybe you just want to slur them by calling them 'stupid' and saying they want a military coup and are 'for the most part anti-democratic', without any supporting evidence except your own amazing ability to read their intentions behind those white masks they wear.

I would link to the other paper, but unfortunately cannot.

On the 15th, the first line of the article is "calls for a coup by some participants in the white mask movement are unacceptable" say 55% of people surveyed in an Abac poll.

Now, I can see some pictures on New Mandala with white masks marching around with placards stating "Overthrow the government". If you want to be anti-coup, how would anyone "overthrow" the government any other way?

I would hope 98% of respondents would be against a military coup or even a coup as was tried by Dr. Thaksin at Ratchaprasong in 2010. An important question was not asked/answered: What percentage of the anti Thaksin/PTP protestors are calling for a military coup? Do you have any record of speeches, literature being passed out, signs ('overthrow the Thaksin government' is not a call for military action) calling for the military to step in? Overthrowing the government can be done at the ballot box.

I don't personally, but the message being put around in a lot of the mainstream media is that that is their view. It is their job to control their message, not mine.

I try not to comment too much on political issues and I see nothing wrong with peaceful protests but whats with these masks? Usually people who hide their face have done something or are cosidering doing something illegal.

I have to assume your experience is with Thai traffic police. Try to broaden your view by considering surgeons, welders, ice hockey players, firemen, astronauts...................

The two people behind the movement are funnily enough, former Yellow Shirt leaders.

Keep going, digging yourself a bigger hole and I will post a lot more you don't know about this group.

That is as maybe. I think the interesting thing about this, is it might, just might spin off into something that isn't "Yellow" in it's ethos, but hopefully an anti-corruption, anti-dictatorship movement. I haven't heard quotes from any of the speeches at these protests. It would be interesting to know what line they take.

I can't help thinking this has Sondhi Limtongkul all over it. Say what you like about the bloke, but he is extremely good at getting his message across through all types of media. Latching onto the white mask idea shows an awful lot of media savvy.

Maybe Sondhi subscribes to the old adage, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend". He doesn't necessarily have to be its founder to be its supporter.

• Like 2

For the same reason Yellow shirts and Red shirts wear coordinated clothing. It shows unity and commonality of cause and is easier for the news-media to count for their reporting.

Clowns??

• Like 2

"On the 15th....." would be the best example of hearsay evidence I could think of - a newspaper report of a poll question about alleged claims. Try harder.

How do you overthrow a government without a coup? How about MPs deciding they no longer wish to be members of a government and withdrawing from it? I'm sure that happened somewhere in the last few years.

Why is ABAC even asking the question if it isn't an issue? Looking at their facebook page, their message seems pretty clear, anti-corruption, anti-dictatorship.

If they lay off the coup rhetoric, this thing will really have some traction.

I have no idea of ABAC's motives. But there are many claims that the WMs are calling for a coup with little evidence. if that was the best available...........

I have been searching around too. It doesn't seem there is much, other than direct references to this ABAC poll which as a quote seems to have gone around a lot of the media. If so, very very lazy reporting by the BP. The rest of the rhetoric is coming from PTP saying that the white masks are pro-coup. I am only putting out what I found, along with their placards of "overthrow" the government. As I said, I would be over the moon if they are genuinely protesting from an "anti-coup" perspective. I have to say, me ability to read Thai is rather limited, so I can't interpret the banners that are on the pictures of the V for Thailand facebook page.

They need to manage their message well, and stay on the anti-corruption, anti-dictatorship line, which makes it distinct from the PAD. Good luck to them, because, I have little doubt that the reds will ramp up the violence if this continues to gain popularity.

Red shirts attack peaceful whitemasks - this violence is deplorable.

Whitemasks attack peaceful redshirts - this violence is understandable.

hhmm...I think I'm getting the hang of moral supremacy 101 a la TV now.

Well now try to grasp some advanced concepts like "quantity" and "intensity".

And also try to contextualize to the bigger picture. 20 White shirts get attacked by 200 Reds in Chiang Mai - police do very little. Reds on motorcycles drives towards Whites in Bangkok - do you trust the police to do their duty, or do you defend yourself? Which would you do given the BiBs track record and the known propensity for violence of the Reds,

That is as maybe. I think the interesting thing about this, is it might, just might spin off into something that isn't "Yellow" in it's ethos, but hopefully an anti-corruption, anti-dictatorship movement. I haven't heard quotes from any of the speeches at these protests. It would be interesting to know what line they take.

I can't help thinking this has Sondhi Limtongkul all over it. Say what you like about the bloke, but he is extremely good at getting his message across through all types of media. Latching onto the white mask idea shows an awful lot of media savvy.

Maybe Sondhi subscribes to the old adage, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend". He doesn't necessarily have to be its founder to be its supporter.

Of course he does. If it is the White Masks that bring down PTP, and he had nothing to do with it, he will still be grinning from ear to ear. He is good at what he does though, and I can't help looking at the White Mask concept and think he has had something to do with it.

Wasn't someone initialled "S" scheming against the government according to old "cough medicine" the other day?

Edited by Thai at Heart

Why would the white mask protesters pick out 3 random red shirts approaching from somewhere on a motorcycle when there were 100 red shirts across the road?

Why would there even be a message sent that there were 3 random red shirts approaching?

Surely, if the anti-government protesters had attacked the 3 red shirts, the other protesting red shirts would have come to their aid. They were only 100 metres away after all.

Of course he does. If it is the White Masks that bring down PTP, and he had nothing to do with it, he will still be grinning from ear to ear. He is good at what he does though, and I can't help looking at the White Mask concept and think he has had something to do with it.

Wasn't someone initialled "S" scheming against the government according to old "cough medicine" the other day?

Careful, your post might get deleted for using incorrect names. It's not "cough medicine", it's "ear medicine".
  • Like 1

Please. You are much better than giving credence to Pol. Capt. 'C'. LOL

I think posters on TV vastly underestimate the prevalence of the Thai internet-based social networks and the total disillusionment of the youth in the Kingdom. The youth in every culture are idealistic and the current government's behavior would fall short of even the least idealistic student.

Regarding talk of a coup d'etat. My guess is, after PTP rams thru that multi billion $ loan and they distribute the wealth among themselves, leaving the next Govt with a big debt hole to dig out of and virtually paralyzed because of it .... PTP will welcome a coup and may even engineer it themselves ... so they can go whining to the gullible including BBC and others about their legitimate Govt being ousted by the big bad military.

The writing's on the wall .. PTP and the Shinawatra mob is on the political decline .... let them get thrown out of office by the people in the next election.

Unfortunately the country and the economy will be in shambles when they get thru with it.

Edited by rogerdee123

I think posters on TV vastly underestimate the prevalence of the Thai internet-based social networks and the total disillusionment of the youth in the Kingdom. The youth in every culture are idealistic and the current government's behavior would fall short of even the least idealistic student.

The PTP think they know who is running this white mask show, and as we know, there are some PAD blokes claiming to be at the top of the tree in running it. I am just surmising, that Sondhi is extremely good at what he does, but since he got shot and miraculously survived, he stays out of the limelight. A completely undergound anti-PTP movement is possible, but I somehow think it's a little too original for a disparate group like this to have sprung up and apparently be able to unite nationwide only through social media

When everyone is desperately trying to say that the White masks are merely the PAD in disguise, it is more than likely it may well partially be that. WOuld I be disappointed if Thailand came up with a genuinely unaligned protest group that simply protested corruption and governmental incompetence? Hell no. Do I care if it is given a push along by the PAD, yes and no. Let's hope that it would continue and hold all Thai politicians and governments to account.

• Like 1

The PTP think they know who is running this white mask show, and as we know, there are some PAD blokes claiming to be at the top of the tree in running it. I am just surmising, that Sondhi is extremely good at what he does, but since he got shot and miraculously survived, he stays out of the limelight. A completely undergound anti-PTP movement is possible, but I somehow think it's a little too original for a disparate group like this to have sprung up and apparently be able to unite nationwide only through social media

When everyone is desperately trying to say that the White masks are merely the PAD in disguise, it is more than likely it may well partially be that. WOuld I be disappointed if Thailand came up with a genuinely unaligned protest group that simply protested corruption and governmental incompetence? Hell no. Do I care if it is given a push along by the PAD, yes and no. Let's hope that it would continue and hold all Thai politicians and governments to account.

Maybe its the infamous 'Dark Hand'

"Pheu Thai MP for Lamphun, Sanguan Pongmani claimed that reds were enraged because "their leaders were killed during the protest at the Ratchaprasong intersection in 2010".

Newsflash - newsflash
Today Ms. Thida the elected president of the UDD has announced a new commemoration day for all their fallen leaders. She said that dr. weng, Korkaew, Jatuporn, Nattawut and Anusaman had been dug up in Rayong and would be proudly carried around. Robert A. has been invited to confirm the renewed interest the ICC has shown in possibly finally starting to read the request deposited two years ago (assuming they can find it again).

Bangkok, Tongue-in-cheeky

• Like 2

You say that YOU KNOW so much about the White Mask protest groups.

Prove it to us and the world

POST it instead of talking.

The white mask idea is not new.

One and a half years ago i have photographed a group of protesters wearing white masks at a 'Siam Samakhi' event. Siam Samakhi is/was a group founded by former soldiers that have taken part in the 2006 coup, which had as regular speakers, for example, Kaewsan Athibodi, one of the co-founders of 'Thai Spring', or Democrat Party deputy spokesperson Mallika Boonmetrakul, or former Democrat Party foreign minister Kasit Piromya.

The PAD of 2006 and 2008 is now split in many factions, so you can theoretically state that the white masks are not PAD. Nevertheless, the persons that play a leading and organizing role in the white masks were all part of the PAD. Their guards are all former and/or present PAD and affiliated groups' guards (many of whom i have known for almost 7 to 8 years by now). The majority of white mask protesters are long term yellow shirt/multicolored/Thai Patriot Networt/and whatever other incarnation protesters, many of whom i have known and photographed countless times over the past 7/8 years in yellow protests. A large segment of the white mask protesters here in Bangkok are protesters that presently camp out at Sanam Luang - led by Chaiwat Sinsuwong and Somboon Thongburan - both former PAD leaders. A large segment of the white mask group protesters went on sunday, after they finished their protest, in a caravan to Sanam Luang.

Their slogans, chants and stage speech (against Thaksinomics, protect the monarchy, accuse police of being Thaksin's lackeys, etc) are right out of the yellow shirt script book. Nothing has changed, other than that they now don white masks instead of yellow T-Shirts, which already by 2010 they have not done anymore, and then called themselves "multicolored" - a term that apparently has been shelved now as well.

I am sorry, but if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck...it is a duck. The white mask group is part of the yellow universe.

Edited by nicknostitz
  • Like 2

I have to assume your experience is with Thai traffic police. Try to broaden your view by considering surgeons, welders, ice hockey players, firemen, astronauts...................

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the subject was about "Protests" not occupations! Sometimes the occupations you mention have peaceful protests for example Doctors and Surgeons over budget cuts, Firemen over wages and conditions and I have never seen them wear their working masks. With respect I think it is you who needs to broaden your view and as a result do not use examples that are not applicable to the point in question which is legal protesting.

One and a half years ago i have photographed a group of protesters wearing white masks at a 'Siam Samakhi' event. Siam Samakhi is/was a group founded by former soldiers that have taken part in the 2006 coup, which had as regular speakers, for example, Kaewsan Athibodi, one of the co-founders of 'Thai Spring', or Democrat Party deputy spokesperson Mallika Boonmetrakul, or former Democrat Party foreign minister Kasit Piromya.

The PAD of 2006 and 2008 is now split in many factions, so you can theoretically state that the white masks are not PAD. Nevertheless, the persons that play a leading and organizing role in the white masks were all part of the PAD. Their guards are all former and/or present PAD and affiliated groups' guards (many of whom i have known for almost 7 to 8 years by now). The majority of white mask protesters are long term yellow shirt/multicolored/Thai Patriot Networt/and whatever other incarnation protesters, many of whom i have known and photographed countless times over the past 7/8 years in yellow protests. A large segment of the white mask protesters here in Bangkok are protesters that presently camp out at Sanam Luang - led by Chaiwat Sinsuwong and Somboon Thongburan - both former PAD leaders. A large segment of the white mask group protesters went on sunday, after they finished their protest, in a caravan to Sanam Luang.

Their slogans, chants and stage speech (against Thaksinomics, protect the monarchy, accuse police of being Thaksin's lackeys, etc) are right out of the yellow shirt script book. Nothing has changed, other than that they now don white masks instead of yellow T-Shirts, which already by 2010 they have not done anymore, and then called themselves "multicolored" - a term that apparently has been shelved now as well.

I am sorry, but if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck...it is a duck. The white mask group is part of the yellow universe.

Or perhaps they just can't bide the stench of Shinawatra corruption.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the subject was about "Protests" not occupations! Sometimes the occupations you mention have peaceful protests for example Doctors and Surgeons over budget cuts, Firemen over wages and conditions and I have never seen them wear their working masks. With respect I think it is you who needs to broaden your view and as a result do not use examples that are not applicable to the point in question which is legal protesting.

You were the one to equate a mask to criminal behavior, when there is many other reasons to wear one. Are female muslim protesters inherently criminal?

White masks, yellow shirts, PAD, bla, bla, and blabla. At least the red-shirts are consistent. They want democracy and Thaksin back telling how that works.

To simply state 'I know' doesn't mean a thing. The white masks consist of various groups and individuals who protest against the current government, it's corruption and it's link to a criminal. That has nothing to do with what some protesters or even organizers have been protesting against in the past. Probably more to do with Thaksin's governments being focused on Thaksin rather than the Thai population.

• Like 1

You were the one to equate a mask to criminal behavior, when there is many other reasons to wear one. Are female muslim protesters inherently criminal?
Perhaps you did not read my post carefully or do not not understand the word "usually". Edited by Billmont

So your saying the yellow universe is everyone that doesn't support Thaksin?

• Like 1

Well it is not a nice thing to say, Nor is it politically correct. Nor is it morally right to me.

but I am a human, and do wish they had been massively succesfull in there attempt.

At some point the red shirts are going to have to be shown that they are not the be all to end all and politness with tolerance is not going to do it. They are pretty thick sculled.

I know I am wrong but it felt good to say it.wai.gif