Chang Beer Girls

gerrythepoet

Sorry, the OP sounds like a right weirdo.

Leave the girls along, they don't like elderly foreigners trying to grope/help them.

Interacting with beer girls, buy their beer, let them order whatever food they like at your expense.

About 6 plates of assorted food at your table is a good start. Learn to bait your hook properly.

You see I look at that differently. These girls are an annoyance to me and they are just looking for something that will feed their ego.

These girls redefine self-centered. They are insulted at the slightest misconception and are absolute prima donnas. I have yet to see one that can walk up and truly be friendly even though they are attempting to promote something.

Edited by Markaew

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You see I look at that differently. These girls are an annoyance to me and they are just looking for something that will feed their ego.

These girls redefine self-centered. They are insulted at the slightest misconception and are absolute prima donnas. I have yet to see one that can walk up and truly be friendly even though they are attempting to promote something.

-

They have to maintain a professional distance due to the historical connotations.

Especially true with farang given what most Thais assume about any girl being publicly friendly with us.

Try to chat up a booth babe at a trade show or car show girl or high-end hotel receptionist or any other public "pretty" in front of other people and you'll get the same polite-but-not-genuine manner.

And if you really find them that annoying just ignore them and deal with the wait staff, they'll leave you alone.

Edited by boosta
  • Like 1

-

They have to maintain a professional distance due to the historical connotations.

Especially true with farang given what most Thais assume about any girl being publicly friendly with us.

Try to chat up a booth babe at a trade show or car show girl or high-end hotel receptionist or any other public "pretty" in front of other people and you'll get the same polite-but-not-genuine manner.

And if you really find them that annoying just ignore them and deal with the wait staff, they'll leave you alone.

thumbsup.gif

>> Pushing out the boat, big time!

I haven't hear that turn of phrase before ... you've added to my vernacular ...

-

What does it mean? I'm guessing "being generous" seeing that it's likely sarcastic and many people believe in tipping - and no I don't want the thread to go off on THAT tangent, let's talk about whether farang is derogatory or not instead please. rolleyes.gif

'Pushing out the boat, big time' is a well known phrase often used all around the world describing a unique mix of Polynesian Island gesture and Al Capone era Chicago gesture...

I'm surprised you're not familiar with it as its so common.

'Pushing out the boat' was a custom by the Polynesian islanders when getting rid of undesireable's at an Island festival or party,

They would continually make excuses why the food wasn't ready, why the girls were'nt dancing, why the home-brew hasn't arrived yet until boring the unwanted guests half to death,

and then as the unwanted guests got back in their boat the islanders would enthusiastically shove the boat into the water before the unwanted guests hardly had a chance to take a seat,

all yelling phrases like: 'Oh, so sad, do you really have to go' and 'oh god, the party want be the same without you, and ' Oh we hope you return soon its been so much fun' :D

and of course the Al Capone era gesture of flagrantly and lustfully throwing huge sums of money and expensive diamonds, jewelry and tid-bits at any working girl withing 3 feet...

Quite a common expression really. :D :D :D

Who would want to do hard graft in those little dresses? One slip or bend and out comes the 'coffee bean'!tongue.png

or the p-----nus,,,,,you gotta check the hands or the big bramley apple jumping up n down in the throat,its a dead giveaway,,until im drunk,,,,,,baaah

• Like 1

Ladies such as these superstars are so special they don't even have bowel movements, far to disgusting for the likes of them. like us all they come into the world with nothing and will get into their 30's with nothing.

So let them enjoy their moments of glory! Play it up for them, smile, tell them how beautiful they are... order a chang! Tell them 'its awesome' give them a BIG generous tip, tell them you have no GF no wife :D enjoy life! :D

'Pushing out the boat, big time' is a well known phrase often used all around the world describing a unique mix of Polynesian Island gesture and Al Capone era Chicago gesture...

'Pushing out the boat' was a custom by the Polynesian islanders when getting rid of undesireable's at an Island festival or party,

They would continually make excuses why the food wasn't ready, why the girls were'nt dancing, why the home-brew hasn't arrived yet until boring the unwanted guests half to death,

and then as the unwanted guests got back in their boat the islanders would enthusiastically shove the boat into the water before the unwanted guests hardly had a chance to take a seat,

all yelling phrases like: 'Oh, so sad, do you really have to go' and 'oh god, the party want be the same without you, and ' Oh we hope you return soon its been so much fun' biggrin.png

and of course the Al Capone era gesture of flagrantly and lustfully throwing huge sums of money and expensive diamonds, jewelry and tid-bits at any working girl withing 3 feet...

Quite a common expression really. biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

No need to be surprised at all really ...

Should you wish to see the explanation of the member who initially used it you will find that here.

Which is completely opposite to what you describe ... not that I'm saying that your definition is valid to you.

Cheers ...

• Like 1

Ladies such as these superstars are so special they don't even have bowel movements, far to disgusting for the likes of them. like us all they come into the world with nothing and will get into their 30's with nothing.

I'd agree with all of your post except the part about "will get into their 30's with nothing".

I take exception with the term superstar the ones around CM are attractive but nothing to honk your horn about. A few years ago chatting to a couple of these superstars (not) one asked me you want girlfriend she needs help paying her tuition, pointing at the other girl, I politely declined

She was being kind, having noticed you were sitting all alone, nobody calls or texts you, and you're completely lacking in social and conversational skills :D :D :D :D :P

• Like 1

The OP definitely made some cultural mistakes. I almost cringed reading it when he talked about clearing the tables to accommodate the next customers to come along -- would certainly be considered quite strange here. Perhaps in his hometown, there are waitresses who truly appreciate this guy pitching in when the local pub gets busy, but he's not in Kansas anymore. He should take some time to learn the ropes about Thai culture (and what Thais expect of us as farang).

And When he mentioned giving the girls packets of crisps, perhaps he didn't realized that people give food to the poor (or monks, who live a life of austerity and poverty). I feel a bit sorry for the guy as it's pretty clear that his heart was in the right place, but he certainly should have done his homework before heading out for the night.

(I talk about this guy in the 3rd person because it doesn't seem he's come back to rejoin the discussion. Hopefully, he's reading it and learning something, though.)

Actually good to know that the topic has been of interest. These girls were not from the Pretty company they are actually students, the Cheers girl is at an Art College and the other two are first years with Rajabat University.

The point was the girls are educated but cannot think of doing anything that needs to get done. It is the case of it is not my job. The owner and his wife are friends. The cleaning of the table was only one table. The crisps had no ulterior motive. I went and got my own drinks as well as my own ice when i needed it.

I am aware of the Pretty girls for I do know one of them in Bangkok. Well educated and extremely polite and charming.

Yes, I will be going back there this Saturday evening.

The OP definitely made some cultural mistakes. I almost cringed reading it when he talked about clearing the tables to accommodate the next customers to come along -- would certainly be considered quite strange here. Perhaps in his hometown, there are waitresses who truly appreciate this guy pitching in when the local pub gets busy, but he's not in Kansas anymore. He should take some time to learn the ropes about Thai culture (and what Thais expect of us as farang).

And When he mentioned giving the girls packets of crisps, perhaps he didn't realized that people give food to the poor (or monks, who live a life of austerity and poverty). I feel a bit sorry for the guy as it's pretty clear that his heart was in the right place, but he certainly should have done his homework before heading out for the night.

(I talk about this guy in the 3rd person because it doesn't seem he's come back to rejoin the discussion. Hopefully, he's reading it and learning something, though.)

Actually good to know that the topic has been of interest. These girls were not from the Pretty company they are actually students, the Cheers girl is at an Art College and the other two are first years with Rajabat University.

The point was the girls are educated but cannot think of doing anything that needs to get done. It is the case of it is not my job. The owner and his wife are friends. The cleaning of the table was only one table. The crisps had no ulterior motive. I went and got my own drinks as well as my own ice when i needed it.

I am aware of the Pretty girls for I do know one of them in Bangkok. Well educated and extremely polite and charming.

Bags of crisps at the ready?

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

These girls were not from the Pretty company they are actually students, the Cheers girl is at an Art College and the other two are first years with Rajabat University.

-

The point that you missed was that it's YOUR expectation that someone "educated" should be willing and able to pitch in and help out at whatever needs doing.

That kind of attitude is not appropriate in a Thai workplace, where absolutely everyone agrees that people should only do the job they're paid for, lower-status people don't do higher-status jobs nor vice-versa and certainly not the customer!

It's OK for a ting-tong farang to break these rules, they're very understanding, but not for you to criticize them for not breaking them.

And do you mean there's actually a company called "pretty"? I think that's just a generic name for that type of job. And of course many of the pretty girls (beer girls) in that sense are uni students, no conflict there.

• Like 1

all yelling phrases like: 'Oh, so sad, do you really have to go' and 'oh god, the party want be the same without you, and ' Oh we hope you return soon its been so much fun' biggrin.png

Quite a common expression really. biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

No need to be surprised at all really ...

Should you wish to see the explanation of the member who initially used it you will find that here.

Which is completely opposite to what you describe ... not that I'm saying that your definition is valid to you.

Cheers ...

Hahahah you didn't actually take me seriously did you? BahBahBoBo! :D :D

So let them enjoy their moments of glory! Play it up for them, smile, tell them how beautiful they are... order a chang! Tell them 'its awesome' give them a BIG generous tip, tell them you have no GF no wife biggrin.png enjoy life! biggrin.png

The worst imaginable approach to a any beautiful girl is to say "you are beautiful." It's about as

exciting to her as saying "water is wet."

She already knows that. It's a very boring subject. In most cases she will mentally tune you out

in about 0.2 nanoseconds because she has heard it 86,000 times before.

You'd probably get her attention a lot quicker with a mild joking insult. She never hears that.

• Like 2

With a big box of crisps? :D

So let them enjoy their moments of glory! Play it up for them, smile, tell them how beautiful they are... order a chang! Tell them 'its awesome' give them a BIG generous tip, tell them you have no GF no wife biggrin.png enjoy life! biggrin.png

The worst imaginable approach to a any beautiful girl is to say "you are beautiful." It's about as

She already knows that. It's a very boring subject. In most cases she will mentally tune you out

You'd probably get her attention a lot quicker with a mild joking insult. She never hears that.

:D You've never heard me telling a girl she's beautiful :D I'm from a planet far away, with a style all of my own :D

The girls are not fully employed by the bar; they are there to promote whichever beer they are dressed to promote. That is why they are all lookers, something that would no doubt be classed as extremely un-PC in a lot of 'better' countries.

I am a bit surprised at the girls reaction to your present. You don't normally see this from them (or any other Thai girl) as their smiles, assets and charm are main points in their arsenal..................blink.png

Maybe took offence at you working without a permit (tongue.png ) and shaming them? Don't know.

Are you really for real? like who was working without a permit? what sort of permit, 'and shaming them' how? were you present? jeez there are some id*&ts who post on TV

And these assets quote: (or any other Thai girl) as their smiles, assets and charm' "is being a ho an asset?"

Edited by johnlandy

Fantastic ... visual images will greatly assist with this discussion.

Images of you are optional.

Images of the 'Pretty Girls' are mandatory ... biggrin.png

I can see a Hangover II end credits style montage here!

Beginning with the OP waving bags of crisps in front of very angry looking pretties,then curled up in pain following a few well-placed kicks with stilettoes to his Gentlemen's vegetables,as the disgruntled Chang girls march out of the bar to their next port of call!

• Like 1

The girls are not fully employed by the bar; they are there to promote whichever beer they are dressed to promote. That is why they are all lookers, something that would no doubt be classed as extremely un-PC in a lot of 'better' countries.

I am a bit surprised at the girls reaction to your present. You don't normally see this from them (or any other Thai girl) as their smiles, assets and charm are main points in their arsenal..................blink.png

Maybe took offence at you working without a permit (tongue.png ) and shaming them? Don't know.

Are you really for real? like who was working without a permit? what sort of permit, 'and shaming them' how? were you present? jeez there are some id*&ts who post on TV

And these assets quote: (or any other Thai girl) as their smiles, assets and charm' "is being a ho an asset?"

Think it was intended as a joke

See those little face thingies? The WP comment was a joke.

The "shaming" issues is the strong possibility that the OP through his facial expression, body language etc was implying that the girls weren't doing their job properly.

In any case within the context of Thai culture, the OP should not have done any of the things he described in his post, and it's completely understandable that the girls treated him like a slightly dangerous looney tunes.

Beginning with the OP waving bags of crisps in front of very angry looking pretties,then curled up in pain following a few well-placed kicks with stilettoes to his Gentlemen's vegetables,as the disgruntled Chang girls march out of the bar to their next port of call!

Good one, you go girl!!

cheesy.gif

-

Ah the ol' "neg", you must be one of those slick PUA operators, I've heard that stuff works real well here in Thailand jerk.gif

• Like 1

Good one, you go girl!!

cheesy.gif

I don't know what's given you the impression that I'm a girl,I'm 6'0" and 110 kgs/17 stone and rarely get mistaken for one when I'm out and about!blink.png

Edited by Eesat
  • Like 1

Good one, you go girl!!

cheesy.gif

I don't know what's given you the impression that I'm a girl,I'm 6'0" and 110 kgs/17 stone and rarely get mistaken for one when I'm out and about!blink.png

It's got something to do with your frequent hysterical outbursts I think. coffee1.gif

Good one, you go girl!!

cheesy.gif

It's got something to do with your frequent hysterical outbursts I think. coffee1.gif

Ah yes, the secret millionaire and world expert on...everything!rolleyes.gif

Edited by Boo
removed flame

I don't know what's given you the impression that I'm a girl,I'm 6'0" and 110 kgs/17 stone and rarely get mistaken for one when I'm out and about!

-

Oh my apologies (to the girls 8-)

Not sure what it was, the tone I guess. Are you gay or bi by any chance?

Really!

It always worked very well for me.

When I tell em they're beautiful, they usually ask which exact parts I find particularly attractive.

First step in negotiations IMHO.

I've never found that Thai girls get bored with a bit of flattery.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1