Long Overstay

Knew someone who went to the airport with a new passport and hadn't gotten the visa stamp entered into the new one and was arrested despite being well dressed, polite and with the overstay fine.

So, if you have a brand new passport that does not show your initial entry then it does become problematic. Best to have your original TM card too.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest simply going to an immigration office and paying the fine there... If your passport is in order and you are not a miscreant you will be ask to pay the 20k plus the cost for a 7 day visa which I think is 1900 Thb. With a good visa in your passport you will have no worries at the airport... This is based on personal experience but my overstay was only three months...btw, no black marks because of my overstay, I returned a few days later on an entry visa then got a retirement visa... No problems at all... Like many have stated already, dressing nice, be nice, soft spoken, and act like you are sincerely sorry will help a lot...

...the Thai passport would need an exit stamp before they could let you back "in"...

Totally false - you do not even need a valid passport for entry if you are a Thai national.

A Thai passport can be issued overseas so would not have an exit stamp from Thailand - you would have to fill out a departure/arrival card on entry however - rather than on exit. This happens every day.

• Like 1

Knew someone who went to the airport with a new passport and hadn't gotten the visa stamp entered into the new one and was arrested despite being well dressed, polite and with the overstay fine.

So, if you have a brand new passport that does not show your initial entry then it does become problematic. Best to have your original TM card too.

can not understand if new passport should still have old passport all he has to do is show old passport with stamps i think you have missunderstood or you are bullshitting ??

What was said in post was only part of the story - the arrest would have been for overstay - not for failing to transfer stamps (which are not transferred anymore but done at airport for non extension of stays). Post was likely misread as those failing to transfer stamps will be arrested if read by itself.

No, he did not have his old passport as he had lost it. No idea why you would jump to such a ridiculous conclusion that I would post BS.

you need to explane in your post, Post not very good

Perhaps you are unaware that if you lose your passport then you must still get the stamp transferred into it. I was merely pointing out that things are not always as easy peasy as some members felt it was and that there are potential pitfalls, Suggest you drop the attacking attitude.

No, he did not have his old passport as he had lost it. No idea why you would jump to such a ridiculous conclusion that I would post BS.

you need to explane in your post, Post not very good

Perhaps you are unaware that if you lose your passport then you must still get the stamp transferred into it. I was merely pointing out that things are not always as easy peasy as some members felt it was and that there are potential pitfalls, Suggest you drop the attacking attitude.

not attacking any one just pointing out that your post does not explane the facts need to explain more when posting, and i dont think it is neccery to use scaremongering tatics, the op just want to know if he has to pay 20000 baht for overstay thats it!!!

...the Thai passport would need an exit stamp before they could let you back "in"...

Totally false - you do not even need a valid passport for entry if you are a Thai national.

A Thai passport can be issued overseas so would not have an exit stamp from Thailand - you would have to fill out a departure/arrival card on entry however - rather than on exit. This happens every day.

sorry, went OT there and didn't make myself clear. the poster "kristymelb" said that she had been issued a Thai passport here, so when she leaves, on overstay, with her other passport, if she ever wants to use her Thai passport to come back in she will not have any exit stamp on it. hope this helps clear things.

PS: about the totally false claim, well, trying to help from direct experience and knowledge. enough said.

Additionally, the automatic immigration system at Suvarnabhumi for Thai nationals does not put stamps in their passports either.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

He never said it applied to him - just a general question and indeed he has not returned so perhaps will only help those that took part in the discussion or who find the thread in a forum or Google search. Even if not directly helping the information provided on a forum is often useful to someone at some time.

• Like 1

Does this apply to my case aswell?

I entered Thailand on my Oz pp 3.5yrs ago and since have attained all my Thai credentials and never exit/entered again..

I was told by Siam-Legal and others it wasn't necesary to do so, but since have bee told otherwise..

I started a thread a while ago regarding my issue but it has been long forgotten about.. and now I read here a case of long overstay, it has sparked my interest..

Unless the OP case is similar to mine???............ Or he just refused to abide by the rules totally.

Immigration is of the opinion that you entered on an OZ passport and are subject to immigration rules for an Australian. in other words they will tell you to pay the overstay fine and next time enter Thailand on the Thai passport.

You could refuse to pay and then you will be brought before a judge. So don't try this at the airport, you will miss your flight. I have no knowledge of what a judge will say.

On show of your Thai passport you can get an extension of stay from immigration without any problem.

I disagree with this advice. You should not use your OZ passport to ever enter or leave Thailand. Check in at the airline counter with your OZ passport then use your Thai passport to exit via the scanner lines. You never need to speak to an immigration officer.

You disagree with what advise? The ref person has entered Thailand on the Oz passport so now must exit using it. And Thai have the right to use foreign passport for entry/exit of Thailand if they wish but we always recommend using Thai passport for entry/exit of Thailand to avoid such situations as this.

You disagree with what advise? The ref person has entered Thailand on the Oz passport so now must exit using it. And Thai have the right to use foreign passport for entry/exit of Thailand if they wish but we always recommend using Thai passport for entry/exit of Thailand to avoid such situations as this.

A foreigner naturalized as a Thai should never use their foreign passport to enter or leave Thailand. Doing so may be grounds for revocation of Thai citizenship under the Nationality Act.

I have had Thai citizenship now for one year and have discussed this issue extensively with the Ministry of Interior and the DOI.

I entered on my OZ passport before obtaining my Thai passport. I've never used my OZ passport again to leave or enter Thailand, as advised by the MoI, DoI and the Nationality Division of the Royal Thai Police.

A foreigner naturalized as a Thai should never use their foreign passport to enter or leave Thailand. Doing so may be grounds for revocation of Thai citizenship under the Nationality Act.

I have had Thai citizenship now for one year and have discussed this issue extensively with the Ministry of Interior and the DOI.

I entered on my OZ passport before obtaining my Thai passport. I've never used my OZ passport again to leave or enter Thailand, as advised by the MoI, DoI and the Nationality Division of the Royal Thai Police.

I can agree with that and it is the law, but in practice immigration considers you on overstay till you leave on your foreign passport. There doesn't seem to be a procedure to have your entry changed from foreigner to Thai.

Although I recall a few people saying they did just that, most people end up leaving on their foreign passport and re-entering on their Thai passport as immigration claims they cannot help them.

I will never use my foreign passport in this country again. All the authorities have said this is correct and that there is no need for me to leave on my OZ passport - and have advised not to do so. I asked about overstay abd they said that it is irrelevant once you get your Thai passport.

I would never advise otherwise.

It was my understanding the subject of ref was Thai by birth - if this is wrong (do not recall the original thread that well) would agree on naturalized Thai (who are the minority of dual citizens posting here).

The member is Thai that posted about the NZ passport entry did not have a Thai passport yet and got it sorted after they arrived on the OZ passport.

It seems to me that Immigration should be able to cancel that entry once a Thai passport is issued. But from my understanding they don't even do that when you obtain Thai nationality. You are expected to leave the country on your original passport and re-enter on your Thai passport.

I'm very, very confused now! I've been told many different things, but no one has yet given me a solid answer to go on.This would not apply to me right? Since I'm Thai at birth and both my biological parents are Thai.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back. But I have a friend on overstay (yes it actually is a friend and not me lol) He's on a 5 month overstay and wants to know how to fix it. There seems to be a lot of back and forth on this issue. I know he has to pay the 20,000 when he leaves at the airport, but can he do it at a border crossing like some said and they want you to have an out going flight. So does the flight have to be back home or can it be to another country like Laos or somewhere else in SE Asian?