Dengue fever patient numbers in lower northeast quadruples: Ubon Ratchathani

webfact

Dengue fever patient numbers in lower northeast quadruples
By Digital Media

13714654139093.jpg

UBON RATCHATHANI, June 17 - The number of dengue fever patients in Thailand’s lower northeastern provinces is four times higher in the first five months of this year compared to last year.

From January 1- May 31, the number of patients was recorded at 3,544 cases, four times last year’s figure, with nine deaths being reported, said Dr Sarayuth Uttamangkapong, director of the local disease control office in Ubon Ratchathani.

Si Sa Ket reported the most patients with 1,086. Local authorities have taken stringent measures to rid residential areas of mosquitoes.

Meanwhile, in the capital, the department of the disease control worked with the Yaemsa-ard Rangsit School in launching a campaign against dengue fever, as Thailand’s dengue patient tally is the second highest in ASEAN countries, Singapore being first.

The patient numbers in the country tripled last year’s figure. It could reach 150,000 cases this year and the fatalities could rise to 100-150. So far, the deaths from dengue fever were recorded at about 50, according to the department. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-06-17

For some unknown reason where I am (Southern Buriram) the mosquitoes are very bad this year. So are the flies and the 'maleng wee' those tiny little buggers. The local Amphur has already sprayed once, but that only seemed to make it worse! Maybe it was the long very hot summer season we had together with the fairly consistent rains this monsoon season. What are the mozzies like in your part of the World?

For some unknown reason where I am (Southern Buriram) the mosquitoes are very bad this year. So are the flies and the 'maleng wee' those tiny little buggers. The local Amphur has already sprayed once, but that only seemed to make it worse! Maybe it was the long very hot summer season we had together with the fairly consistent rains this monsoon season. What are the mozzies like in your part of the World?

Same where I am near Kalasin, it seems like they are super vicious at the moment, and those little flies are bloody annoying..

totster smile.png

Si Sa Ket reported the most patients with 1,086. Local authorities have taken stringent measures to rid residential areas of mosquitoes.

I'm wondering if most are from near the Cambodian boarder such as Kantharalak, or even in S-town? Any information would be nice.....will have to drink more beer to keep these monsters away then.-wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

Mukdahan International Hospital is full of people with Dengue fever at the moment, and a large majority of them are from Savannakhet Laos. The problem doesen't seem so bad in Mukdahan itself.

More than one week ago my youngest son went a few times to a local hospital in the upper part of the North East ( Ban Muang ) for monitoring his blood. Glad it turned out to be a false alarm and he’s feeling fine again.

Here's a recent, but quite different "Fight the bite!" vid smile.png Enjoy, and take care...

Rgds,

Jac.

Same where I am near Kalasin, it seems like they are super vicious at the moment, and those little flies are bloody annoying..

totster smile.png

About the seasonal norm here in our village near Sisaket town, however, two days ago the man-with-the-mozzie-smoke-machine suddenly appeared near our place and was seen RUNNING around all the houses doing his stuff!

This was his first appearance in over 3 yrs (never seen him running before!) and my wife explained that most years the government financial allocation for mosquito control in our village somehow gets "lost"................

Now the sh*t has hit the fan, Dengue-wise, and it's panic stations all round................someone in our village has had to raid his little rainy-day stash and fork out for the insecticide after all!

I wonder how this example of "acceptable" corruption benefits the locals.................I suppose if many people get to experience the vile symptoms of Dengue then it's all OK?

totster smile.png

About the seasonal norm here in our village near Sisaket town, however, two days ago the man-with-the-mozzie-smoke-machine suddenly appeared near our place and was seen RUNNING around all the houses doing his stuff!

This was his first appearance in over 3 yrs (never seen him running before!) and my wife explained that most years the government financial allocation for mosquito control in our village somehow gets "lost"................

Now the sh*t has hit the fan, Dengue-wise, and it's panic stations all round................someone in our village has had to raid his little rainy-day stash and fork out for the insecticide after all!

I wonder how this example of "acceptable" corruption benefits the locals.................I suppose if many people get to experience the vile symptoms of Dengue then it's all OK?

Absolutely unbelievable...

I hope KARMA does its work on the despicable lump of rat <deleted> !

Symptoms and What To Do If You Think You Have Dengue

The principal symptoms of dengue are:

• High fever and at least two of the following:
    • Severe headache
    • Severe eye pain (behind eyes)
    • Joint pain
    • Muscle and/or bone pain
    • Rash
    • Mild bleeding manifestation (e.g., nose or gum bleed, petechiae, or easy bruising)
    • Low white cell count

Generally, younger children and those with their first dengue infection have a milder illness than older children and adults.

Watch for warning signs as temperature declines 3 to 7 days after symptoms began.

Go IMMEDIATELY to an emergency room or the closest health care provider if any of the following warning signs appear:

• Severe abdominal pain or persistent vomiting
  • Red spots or patches on the skin
  • Bleeding from nose or gums
  • Vomiting blood
  • Black, tarry stools (feces, excrement)
  • Drowsiness or irritability
  • Pale, cold, or clammy skin
  • Dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) is characterized by a fever that lasts from 2 to 7 days, with general signs and symptoms consistent with dengue fever. When the fever declines, warning signs may develop. This marks the beginning of a 24 to 48 hour period when the smallest blood vessels (capillaries) become excessively permeable (“leaky”), allowing the fluid component to escape from the blood vessels into the peritoneum (causing ascites) and pleural cavity (leading to pleural effusions). This may lead to failure of the circulatory system and shock, and possibly death without prompt, appropriate treatment. In addition, the patient with DHF has a low platelet count and hemorrhagic manifestations, tendency to bruise easily or have other types of skin hemorrhages, bleeding nose or gums, and possibly internal bleeding.

Treatment

There is no specific medication for treatment of a dengue infection. Persons who think they have dengue should use analgesics (pain relievers) with acetaminophen and avoid those containing ibuprofen, Naproxen, aspirin or aspirin containing drugs. They should also rest, drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration, avoid mosquito bites while febrile and consult a physician.

As with dengue, there is no specific medication for DHF. If a clinical diagnosis is made early, a health care provider can effectively treat DHF using fluid replacement therapy. Adequately management of DHF generally requires hospitalization.

Difficulty breathing

From CDC Website.

• Like 1

Mukdahan International Hospital is full of people with Dengue fever at the moment, and a large majority of them are from Savannakhet Laos. The problem doesen't seem so bad in Mukdahan itself.

So true, was there 18 June with step daughter, she also has dengue, along with so many others. So far, touch wood, I have escaped it, the good wife seems to attract them more than me.

Ubon Rak in Ubon is full. They had kids setup in hallways yesterday and we were told there were no rooms available.

Not just Ubon Rak. Sapphasit,under different conditions is also full. But they have to take all patients, as it's the provincial hospital.

You could get many other diseases by being there for only one day. Be aware.-wai.gif

Vientiane - Dengue fever has claimed 44 lives so far this year in Laos, which is expecting one of its worst outbreaks of the mosquito-borne virus, news reports said Tuesday. Scary article.....wai2.gif

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Dengue-death-toll-hits-44-in-Laos-30209034.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Nationmultimediacom-Breakingnews+%28NationMultimedia.com+-+Breakingnews%29

Vientiane - Dengue fever has claimed 44 lives so far this year in Laos, which is expecting one of its worst outbreaks of the mosquito-borne virus, news reports said Tuesday. Scary article.....wai2.gif

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Dengue-death-toll-hits-44-in-Laos-30209034.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Nationmultimediacom-Breakingnews+%28NationMultimedia.com+-+Breakingnews%29