Taxi's (automobile)

gabe

I have some personal complaints about some of the taxis (automobile).

when i hail a taxi some of them don't stop. is this because i am a farang? :o

some of the taxi drivers drive like they're behind of the wheel of a formula 1 racecar.

some of the taxis are jalopys. :D

I have some personal complaints about some of the taxis (automobile).

when i hail a taxi some of them don't stop. is this because i am a farang? :o

some of the taxi drivers drive like they're behind of the wheel of a formula 1 racecar.

some of the taxis are jalopys. :D

Probably because their little red "for hire" light is out in their window, and they are on their way somewhere. Don't get disheartened, just look for the little red light :D If the light is on and they don't stop, it probably means they don't want your fare :D

Was the red light in the windshield on? I have never had a taxi not stop if they see me. But they may not want to take you somewhere if heavy traffic or near shift change time so I do give them the option to refuse - only takes a minute or two for another most places.

Generally has nothing to do with you being a farang. Sometimes my wife (Thai) has trouble getting taxies to stop, and any taxi driver in their right mind should at least slow down to take a look at her as they pass, but alas some do not.

Didn’t you know that BKK is the training ground for all the major F1 teams?

You are more then welcome to pass on getting into any of the jalopies, and then stand and wait for the next ten to pass you buy, until another jalopy stops.

Edited by TokyoT

The taxi drivers around Sukumvit piss me off. I live in Lad Prao and when i or the wife try to get a taxi. Some refuse to go. Basically they want to do the circuit and hope to pick up a few 35 baht fairs. I dont understand it. Why not take me home and get a guaranteed 100 baht. Makes sense to me instead of circling for a hour and maybe not get a fare. But TIT.

Edited by Jockstar

The taxi drivers around Sukumvit piss me off. I live in Lad Prao and when i or the wife try to get a taxi. Some refuse to go. Basically they want to do the circuit and hope to pick up a few 35 baht fairs. I dont understand it. Why not take me home and get a guaranteed 100 baht. Makes sense to me instead of circling for a hour and maybe not get a fare. But TIT.

Because the flag down 35 baht is the gravy. And most Thai will gamble on getting those birds in the bush rather than take the one in hand.

((The short trip makes the most money for the driver so unless you are going to a place he wants to go he would prefer to take his chances - especially in a farang ghetto area))

It's probably because you live in Lad Prao they refuse you a ride. It's no secret that is where the traffic is most congested in Bangkok.

It is news to me - and I have lived in Latphao for 30 years. Traffic is bad everywhere in Bangkok but it sure does not seem worse here than anywhere else.

Because the flag down 35 baht is the gravy. And most Thai will gamble on getting those birds in the bush rather than take the one in hand.

((The short trip makes the most money for the driver so unless you are going to a place he wants to go he would prefer to take his chances - especially in a farang ghetto area))

But one morning years ago my mother was waiting to hail a taxi in Soi Ruamrudee for her usual early morning exercise at Lumipini park. Less than a minute after as she caught one, the driver spotted a lone farang with suitcases about 200 meters from where my mom caught the cab, at the doorstep of a small hotel called Jim's Lodge, apparently waiting to catch a taxi to the airport. So instead of going one-meter-zone distance to drop off my mom, this driver stopped the taxi, pulled my mother out before she even had a chance to protest, push this farang with bewildered look on his face in the car, tossed his suitcases in and took off in rush, leaving my mother and one of the farang's bags on the sidewalk....

Edited by Nordlys

It's probably because you live in Lad Prao they refuse you a ride. It's no secret that is where the traffic is most congested in Bangkok.

It is news to me - and I have lived in Latphao for 30 years. Traffic is bad everywhere in Bangkok but it sure does not seem worse here than anywhere else.

I don't remember what the news source was, probably Thai radio station I had tuned in while driving. But I heard the worst in Thailand is Lad Prao, 2nd worst is Surasak (Sathorn) and the 3rd is Bangkapi. Makes sense to me. Look how many overpasses there are at just at one intersection (Ladprao - Viphabadi Rangsit).

Those new overpasses have greatly relieved traffic congestion at that intersection. You can come off airport road and onto Latphao Road without delay now. It used to be a major headache. Perhaps they were talking about that intersection as being the most congested rather than Latphao in general.

Yes, I meant the intersection. Sorry for the confusion. It's amazing they now have 4 overpasses at one intersection (not counting the tollway above them). But there still was a gridlock on the overpass when I went to Central Lad Prao from the city center just two weeks ago.

this driver stopped the taxi, pulled my mother out before she even had a chance to protest, push this farang with bewildered look on his face in the car, tossed his suitcases in and took off in rush, leaving my mother and one of the farang's bags on the sidewalk....

Nordlys, i have told you a Trillion times not to exaggerate ! :o

this driver stopped the taxi, pulled my mother out before she even had a chance to protest, push this farang with bewildered look on his face in the car, tossed his suitcases in and took off in rush, leaving my mother and one of the farang's bags on the sidewalk....

Nordlys, i have told you a Trillion times not to exaggerate ! :D

Oh yeah, my mother didn't actually say it in those words. :o:D:D

But she did say it was quick and the farang hesitated to get into the cab.

Edited by Nordlys

Nordlys, i have told you a Trillion times not to exaggerate ! :D

Oh yeah, my mother didn't actually say it in those words. :o:D:D

But she did say it was quick and the farang hesitated to get into the cab.

I just hope you're never a witness for the prosecution when I'm on trial for my life! :D

Taxis and BKK ....

Geeze there are only 70,000 .. another will be there in a second ....

Yes a few taxi divers (particularly new ones) will not stop for farang ... don't take it personally ... they assume you won't speak Thai .. they don't speak English .. they may not know BKK well enough to take you to your destination without your help

The ones that piss me off are the ones that think I don't know better than to let them NOT turn on the meter ... but again there are 70,000 licensed taxis in BKK ... another will be around in a minute

((PS ... Lumsahlee was the worst traffic i BKK last year ... intersection or Sri Nakarin and Ramkamhaeng .. right near the Mall Bangkapi)

Note ... for you newbies to BKK ... the taxi drivers that won't take you where you want to go ... is not about being farang ... happens to Thais all the time ....

2nd note ... if it looks like he's taking you a long way out of the way ... it MAY be because of traffic ... AND cost you less in the long run in both time and $$ ... relax

I have some problems in Bkk and assume it’s the destination and time of day, usually around 3 O’clock in the afternoon that I can not get a taxi.

The sky train has been a big help, I can now take it half the distance and quite often soi motor cycle taxi is willing to go any where.