Blatantly ripped off 1000 baht

invogue

After you were cheated you could have stayed around and when anyone else came to shop at the stall you could tell them that you were robbed by her.

The vendor won't be at all happy about losing customers.

------------

it is natural to cry, i was very sad for you. i hate when humans return to there primate roots.this is what you need to do. go back to that shop video record the outside and inside also the woman who cheated you and voice over exactly what happened, post it on you tube. take that link and post it back here for us and post that link everywhere you can, facebook,tumblr,everywhere

-

Just make sure you do it in such a way that you don't create further trouble for yourself, since this is not just opens you to civil action for defamation / slander / libel, but it's a criminal offense.

And in some cases could result in physical violence.

In other words - very stupid suggestions. Let it go, cheap lesson well learned.

Edited by boosta
  • Like 1

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can it be defamation slander or libel if its a fact? Oh dear another who thinks it wrong to stand up for yourself against cheats

If you read "BOOSTA,s" replys he thinks the OP is a troll or its lies. He is sure it never happened. Thais are so honest, and are not cheats

How can it be defamation slander or libel if its a fact? Oh dear another who thinks it wrong to stand up for yourself against cheats

-

This is Thailand, telling the truth is not a defence against the civil suit nor the criminal charge.

Doesn't even have to be an intention to injure the person or company, just that your words have the effect of damaging their reputation.

Even a phone conversation between two people.

Even if one person was an auditor hired specifically to investigate a company, say by a potential purchaser, doing their job by reporting back to their boss is illegal if they give a negative report no matter how true it is.

This is Thailand, things don't work the same the way they do back home.

"Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else and can anyone tell me how I could have handled this situation better?"

Never try to buy anything from a market stall without something resembling the correct change,go to 7/11 and buy a can of Coke or bottle of water or something if you don't have it.Although Thais are generally reasonably honest about this,I'm sorry but you must look like an easy target!

Same with taxis as I had it the other day,my Aussie mate tried to pay a 200 baht fare with 500 baht and the scumbag taxi driver claimed he had no change!Luckily I had some so I scrunched it up and threw it at him,he went off cursing but who cares,dickheads like that make it worse for everyone and give all Thais a bad name!

It's very possible he didn't have change, you're lucky you didn't get beaten up for such an act.

Firstly,what's a taxi driver doing not having change for 500 baht?Secondly my mate's a Thai boxer anyway,so there was only ever one person who was going to get beaten up,he was lucky!

Again,he was a complete scumbag trying to scam us,maybe you're a perennial victim,we're not!

"Firstly,what's a taxi driver doing not having change for 500 baht?"

At first go it certainly seems like a reasonable question -- maybe in other places, but certainly not in Philippines or Thailand.

For anyone who's lived very long in either of these countries it's a totally ridiculous question. Nobody should have to explain that the issue is not about the taxi driver not

having change. It's all about the clueless foreigner letting the taxi driver gain the upper hand in a battle of wits regarding whether the dumba** will get any change back at all.

I'd have to agree. I don't use 1000 baht notes at such markets. I can imagine a scam happening but find it harder to imagine it happening in markets where the vendors recognize a regular buyer.

Yes, and I have to totally agree again.

I always make a habit of carrying small denomination notes with me, and would never hand over a large note for a small purchase at a market or in a small store, not even in a petrol station.

I do speak some reasonable Thai and even in a big store or seven/eleven, if handing over a 1000 baht, I say loudly to the face of the shop assistant, Neung pun baht, meaning 1000 in Thai and make sure they know I am watching them.

Sorry for the OP, but all he can do is put this down to experience.

As the wise man says; once bitten, 1000 times shy.

-

This is Thailand, telling the truth is not a defence against the civil suit nor the criminal charge.

Doesn't even have to be an intention to injure the person or company, just that your words have the effect of damaging their reputation.

Even if one person was an auditor hired specifically to investigate a company, say by a potential purchaser, doing their job by reporting back to their boss is illegal if they give a negative report no matter how true it is.

With regards to an auditor that is easily overcome.

The only issue is if the boss tells the other business that the auditor gave a bad report. So make it a part of the contract that the auditor's report is subject to privacy between the auditor and the boss and if anything about is told to the business subject of the audit would render the boss liable. Not the auditor.

Or

The auditor finds discrepancies, or dodgy dealings. All the auditor has to do is tell his/her boss that under the laws of Thailand they cannot provide a true and correct determination unless their boss signs a document absolving the auditor of any repercussions.

So if the boss insists on the report then the auditor is free of blame and it is a vicarious liability against his/her boss.

That is all the auditor has to do, insist on that and the boss knows the business is dodgy.

It isn't that difficult.

Edited by FDog

I made a drunken mistake my first trip to Thailand, gave a 500 baht tip meaning to give 50. After the receiver did a victory dance, there was no turning back. It happens. You just move on. It's a crappy feeling but who hasn't been scammed sometimes in life for much more than 1000 baht?

Same here, first week in LOS i was in a taxi and the meter was about 80, i pulled what i thought was a 100 out of my wallet and handed it to the driver. he threw his hands up and started saying"no have change" but i saw a 20 note in his hand. i grabbed it and left the taxi. an hour later i realized my 1000 note was no longer there but my 100 note still was :-(Sucks but it was a 900 baht lesson to be more careful!
Good one. I am embarrassed to say that years ago several times I got all pissed off at several taxi drivers who I accused of driving me around in circles...only to figure out after living here for a while that they were taking me the most direct route because of one ways etc...they were right, I was a jerk.....since then I have learned to keep my mouth shut as things maybe are not always quite what they seem and often what we take as a rip off or insult is really a misunderstanding.

I have done the same and feel the same

When my wife and I visited Laos, I took 10,000 baht in 20 baht notes.

I walked into Bangkok Bank before we went and left with five wrapped bundles of unused notes.

Everyone and everything was paid in multiples of 20 baht. I'd already settled flights, accommodation and excursions on credit card, so just reserved for one-to-one transactions and worked a treat.

You could apply this logic anywhere you're not familiar with.

• Like 1

-

With regards to an auditor that is easily overcome.

The only issue is if the boss tells the other business that the auditor gave a bad report. So make it a part of the contract that the auditor's report is subject to privacy between the auditor and the boss and if anything about is told to the business subject of the audit would render the boss liable. Not the auditor.

Or

The auditor finds discrepancies, or dodgy dealings. All the auditor has to do is tell his/her boss that under the laws of Thailand they cannot provide a true and correct determination unless their boss signs a document absolving the auditor of any repercussions.

So if the boss insists on the report then the auditor is free of blame and it is a vicarious liability against his/her boss.

That is all the auditor has to do, insist on that and the boss knows the business is dodgy.

It isn't that difficult.

-

Well thanks for that, very interesting.

However for me the larger point is that this law makes Thailand even more of a joke than all the other things. Absolutely impossible for citizens to fight to improve things, get objective ratings on quality like Consumer Reports/Which, expose crime and corruption etc etc.

Which of course is the reason for the laws being the way they are.

I don't care how rich their elite get or high the GDP, as long as stuff like this remains I'll continue to call it a third world country.

Firstly,what's a taxi driver doing not having change for 500 baht?

-

In Thailand taxis and other transportion and vendors are not expected to have change for large bills, it's not their responsibility but the customers.

You getting upset about that fact is not going to help the situation.

If you make the mistake of getting in without smalls, then if it's worth your while you'll have to pay for him to go to a 7-11 for change.

Street vendors will shout amongst each other to break it, but you are inconveniencing them.

Firstly,what's a taxi driver doing not having change for 500 baht?

-

In Thailand taxis and other transportion and vendors are not expected to have change for large bills, it's not their responsibility but the customers.

You getting upset about that fact is not going to help the situation.

If you make the mistake of getting in without smalls, then if it's worth your while you'll have to pay for him to go to a 7-11 for change.

Street vendors will shout amongst each other to break it, but you are inconveniencing them.

That's my experience also ...

As for the Taxi ... if it was a 300 Baht Airport-Bangkok ride, then a 500 Baht note shouldn't be to difficult, however, if it's back to the hotel from BigC on a 40 Baht fare ... a different matter.

How it works in Thailand is that it's responsibility of the customer, not the vendor or service agent to have something close to the fare/cost.

That's why the 7/11 option always works.

I don't use an ATM, but have a Thai PassBook and when I withdraw money, I make sure I get a variety of notes.

A good supply of the 50 Baht notes should not be underrated.

"Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else and can anyone tell me how I could have handled this situation better?"

Never try to buy anything from a market stall without something resembling the correct change,go to 7/11 and buy a can of Coke or bottle of water or something if you don't have it.Although Thais are generally reasonably honest about this,I'm sorry but you must look like an easy target!

Same with taxis as I had it the other day,my Aussie mate tried to pay a 200 baht fare with 500 baht and the scumbag taxi driver claimed he had no change!Luckily I had some so I scrunched it up and threw it at him,he went off cursing but who cares,dickheads like that make it worse for everyone and give all Thais a bad name!

Similar thing happened to me. It was raining torrentially and I took a cab for a 1km ride which clocked THB 35 on the metre. I had a THB 100 bank note and would have settled happily with THB 50 change. A big grin (without ears it would have gone around the entire head) and "no have change". So I just sat there for a while and he repeated "no have change". I told him, that we have three options. You look once more again for change OR we drive around the block until the metre shows THB 100 OR just sit and wait here for the clock to inch its way to a THB 100.

It took him less than 5 seconds to produce THB 60; and generous as I am I told him to keep the remaining change (of THB 3 as the clock moved on one unit since we stopped).

It's not being stingy but for how stupid does Somsak take all those foreigners?

• Like 1

Not that it's your fault or anything, but I think you should change your ATM habits. What I do is is always 3,900, 5,900, 9,900, whatever. In that way you've always got small bills.

By the way thank you good ideawai.gif

I really appreciate all the useful and practical advice. I will certainly be using all the great suggestions in the future. I agree that it was somewhat of a 'cheap lesson'.

1000 baht is a relatively small amount to me but the upset was that it decreased my love of Thai people by about a tiny amount.

For the record I have made an effort to learn a little bit of Thai like to direct a taxi, say common greetings, introduce myself, count to 199 and a few other things.

• Like 2

What market was this? I've paid for small amounts with 1000 notes at both JJ and Pratunam and have never had any issue getting back correct change. I usually always before handing it over hold it up and ask them if they have change. Doing that also sends her a message as if to say ok see I have a 1000 here.

That said anyone can try it on you at any time. I once got short changed 600 in a 7/11 but it was my fault for not checking my change. You live and you learn. Think of this as a learning experience and next time try to be more vigilant.

Easy way to get around these things. Before paying, ask 'do you have change for 1000 baht?' Hold it up for all to see. For many small store owners, this is a courtesy. For the small proportion of scammers, it stops them from doing the 'you only gave me 100 trick'.

Very few mistakes are made after that.

Yes this is excellent advice. It would help to know a few phrases in Thai as well (she knew "Mai Chi" ) at least to say as Samran has suggested for starters - and the ability to say 1000 baht note is not hard either. Write them down and put them in a small diary or something to rehearse if you have to. Speaking in Thai when ordering also makes for safer transaction - if you can speak the lingo, you aren't a tourist and may have someone that can assist you - and will notice a 1000 baht in deference to a 100. You will also get stuff cheaper. When my parents come to visit, twice a year or so, my mum likes to do the markets. When they ask about prices in English they are given tourist prices - usually I stand back and watch, then go back and haggle in Thai - as soon as the Thai comes out the prices are adjusted (although still need a little haggling usually) - when you can laugh and say "I'm not a tourist" then prices become realistic. You don't need to be fluent to haggle, tell them its too expensive, ask for a discount or call them a thief or liar (loudly) when it does come to it.

As everyone else has said - use smaller notes, use a Tesco Express or 7-11 for change if needs be. Also, don't tip vendors - tip waitresses fine - but not vendors.

For sure tipping vendors is not a good idea for IMHO it is not "tip" but charity whistling.gif and they are not expecting it as Taxi drivers or waiters so not sure they understand why !

In fifteen years of shopping at these sorts of places many times per week I've never never had anything like this happen to me.

So rare, I'm really questioning did this even happen. . .

I hope you don't wait for someone to attack you (or worse) before you accept or believe that it can happen....

This lady was ripped off, why even doubt her story?

BOOSTA, doubts her story because he is a thai apologist. The usual "IT NEVER HAPPENED TO ME". Why do you defend "boosta" ?

I am not specially a Thai apologist but sorry this never happened to me either!

it is natural to cry, i was very sad for you. i hate when humans return to there primate roots.this is what you need to do. go back to that shop video record the outside and inside also the woman who cheated you and voice over exactly what happened, post it on you tube. take that link and post it back here for us and post that link everywhere you can, facebook,tumblr,everywhere

and get into trouble...

Second solution probably best for stomach ache, undoubtably follow some advicesthumbsup.gif but forget about this ladysmile.png

Not that it's your fault or anything, but I think you should change your ATM habits. What I do is is always 3,900, 5,900, 9,900, whatever. In that way you've always got small bills.

Yes I do that..... and even though, if I don;t have a night out, am still short of change a lot, even with the 7-11 trick now and then.

I wish the ATM would give me 500s instead.

As to the OP.... yes, it most certainly has happened to others!

sorry for your problem ...always try to have small bills ...to these people no change is justification for keeping the money ...also u state u have shopped there before ... when will people realise there is very little good will build up here ...the first chance to rip u off they take it ...once again sorry for your treatment ...

Whenever I pay with a 1.000 baht note I always make it clear: "this is one thousand baht" and make sure it is understood before I let the note go over into other hands.

extremely sensible ...i also do this ...ps i do it in sydney as well when i give anything over ten dollars ...