Duo linked to luxury-car scam urged to surrender: Thailand

webfact

Duo linked to luxury-car scam urged to surrender
The Nation

30208537-01_big.jpg?1371512776132

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Special Investigation called yesterday for two businessmen allegedly involved in the transport of six luxury cars that caught fire and revealed a tax avoidance scheme, to turn themselves in before warrants are taken out for their arrest.

Director-general Tarit Pengdith said the identity of the two men was known among law-enforcement officials and they still had time to surrender to the DSI.

He said there was proof verifying transactions overseas involving tens of millions of baht by the pair, and that the six vehicles with suspect registration - four of which were gutted by fire - may have been smuggled into Thailand from Malaysia.

The two men were known to be key figures in the importing of luxury cars, he said, adding that the DSI had obtained security camera footage showing links between the pair and a suspect called Nathee Rewthong, who is on the run.

Nathee has been accused of |hiring a truck company to transport the six vehicles, which were on a |trailer that mysteriously caught fire last month while being driven through Nakhon Ratchasima.

An ad-hoc centre opened by the DSI to verify ownership and registration documents of 548 luxury cars, which had market prices of up to Bt5 million, began operating yesterday.

AUTHENTICATION REQUIRED

People owning or possessing the vehicles are required to authenticate all documents.

Those with vehicles installed with LPG or CNG fuel systems need to have the cars inspected next Monday.

Meanwhile, a deputy chief of the Customs Department, Rakhop Srisuppha-at, denied that customs officials had helped make illegally imported luxury cars appear legitimate so they could benefit from being auctioned legally at higher prices. "I admit that the 'car-laundering' scheme does exist but it is conducted at a lower level," he said, without explaining.

Rakhop said a Rolls Royce owned by Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung was legally imported, after former senator Ruangkrai Leekitwattana publicly called for an inspection to determine whether it was smuggled, or underwent the tax avoidance process.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-18

Another instance of helping as instructed " we know who you are but are not coming after you so give yourself up whenever you have free time if it's not an inconvenience ". What a terrible attitude but fits right in with this case and those likely to be involved.

"Director-general Tarit Pengdith said the identity of the two men was known among law-enforcement officials and they still had time to surrender to the DSI"

Why not just say who they are? If anyone knows them or their whereabouts, they can inform the police.

They're probably calling in "arranging" terms.

"Director-general Tarit Pengdith said the identity of the two men was known among law-enforcement officials and they still had time to surrender to the DSI"

Why not just say who they are? If anyone knows them or their whereabouts, they can inform the police.

That is exactly what I was thinking

Name them .. shame them ... why wait for them to surrender ... you know who they are ..

so now issue warrants for their arrest

"I admit that the 'car-laundering' scheme does exist but it is conducted at a lower level," he said, without explaining. Hog wash my good man, nothing is conducted at a lower level, the rort start from the

top and trickle down, not the other way around....

• Like 1

Maybe the two men are farangs?.......w00t.gif ......no impossible....smile.png

The great super sleuth Chalerm has obviously solved this, and with exonerated himself from any questions around his cars. Time to get a round of Ear medicine in for the boys.

Maybe the two men are farangs?.......:w00t: ......no impossible....:)

It's Abhsit and Suthip of course.

• Like 1

That is exactly what I was thinking

Name them .. shame them ... why wait for them to surrender ... you know who they are ..

so now issue warrants for their arrest

Name, shame them after this statement? "We know that car laundering exists but... etc"... It is a way of saying: "we all are not totally corrupt."

First and foremost law of the land: Do not lose face.

Tsk, tsk, tsk! Farang can't understand Thainess in government.

Its normal if you tax luxury goods at 300%, it ask for people to look for a way around even if they have money they not stupid to trow it away.

just enforce road tax, insurance to the value of the car and ask an normal tax, sure it will change and government will sure make more money, and sure i not like to buy a Porsche who taken apart and put together again.

DSI man hour

third party labor

this will cost more then they ever going to recover

• Like 1

Customs and the DSI seem to be more interested in letting those in 'high positions' know they have no worries as even though they may have changed their story a few times, they have been cleared of any possible charges.

The way that forged documents are passed around/sold in this country, ID cards, Citizenship, University deplomas, passports, currency, land documents, etc, documents showing tax/legal fees paid thus legal import, for just about anything is possible.

• Like 1

Sadly, lost all faith in the police and the rest of the power people. I pray for myself and other in my situation that i never have to experience theese guys in a serious matter. Ive also had enough of their greedy scams tea money here and there and nearly for any public service that should be free. I have to make a serious desicion for me and the family soon. Tiered of beeing stopped driving along having to pay money for nothing.

What!!!!........and ruin their little game, you don't want to see big men cry do you?

Its normal if you tax luxury goods at 300%, it ask for people to look for a way around even if they have money they not stupid to trow it away.

just enforce road tax, insurance to the value of the car and ask an normal tax, sure it will change and government will sure make more money, and sure i not like to buy a Porsche who taken apart and put together again.

DSI man hour

third party labor

this will cost more then they ever going to recover

Seems to me customs are making a terrific effort to recover these unpaid taxes as if trying to prove just how powerful of an institution they are, even though I know very well that corruption is still a common practice at Thai customs. Anyone who has ever tried to take a product out of Thailand without export documents will know that for a negotiable fee, per car, or for larger quantities by truck, customs will happily let you pass.

If only the police could be as strict as these customs officers by enforcing road rules and being tough, like impounding motorcycles for 30 days if you're caught not wearing a helmet then the roads here would become a lot safer. Given that there is lots of money to be made from fines, I've always wondered why the BiB are so lazy and set up so few roadblocks for the purposes of traffic law enforcement, i.e. issuing speeding fines, random breath testing and grabbing motorcyclists without helmets. However, virtually every driver knows there is nothing to fear here - a 200 Baht fine will have the BiB sending these helmet-less/speeding/drunk drivers on their way. So sad but so true.

"I admit that the 'car-laundering' scheme does exist but it is conducted at a lower level," he said, without explaining.

Things never change

ahhh, those pesky lower levels (inherently bad), just get rid of them all...if any higher levels (inherently good) are found, all they need to do is apologize for trusting in the lower levels

• Like 1