Yingluck's silence doesn't help her government

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
PM's silence doesn't help her government

Kornchanok Raksaseri

BANGKOK: -- Dharma writer Dungtrin wrote about the art of love: "A couple that does not talk to each other is a couple whose relationship is already broken."

This can be applied not only to a lovers' relationship but many kinds of relationships - friends, bosses and colleagues and even the government and its people.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra rarely clarifies government policies or their implementation to the public. She seems keener to talk to foreign communities.

The PM also avoids answering questions from the media. Many are political, and she might be right to avoid them.

However, her brother Thaksin, the de facto leader of the Pheu Thai Party, and his son - if it is really is him writing - constantly communicate to supporters through social media and the messages are constantly political.

Another interesting question about love is: What about a couple that hurts each other all the time? Is a bad relationship better than no relationship at all?

Reacting to an assault by pro-government red shirts on anti-government white mask protesters in Chiang Mai last week, government critics called on Yingluck to show her stance against their behaviour. None of the government spokesmen has said anything.

As counter-rallies or possible confrontations between the red shirts and white-mask group become more likely, Pheu Thai spokesman Promphong Nopparit said Yingluck had never presented herself in support of the red shirts as she is a leader of all the people in this country.

Deputy party spokesman Anusorn Iamsa-ard said the government and his party was concerned about possible violence, but he did not believe any red shirts would have hurt anyone as "police officers were already in charge at protest venues".

He said that any protesters rallying in public should be careful, as there are other people who disagree with them and real-life on the street was not as safe as in the cyber world.

He also questioned the three anti-government groups involved in the protests these days as "the same group with an aim to topple the government".

Not only that, he did not clarify the content or essence of what the protesters were talking about, seeming to add salt to the wounds and possibly instigating more rifts.

The government itself owes the people clarification of many issues - transparency and efficiency of the rice pledging scheme is just one of them.

The government has not provided the real figures to reveal how much rice it has in stock, how much it has sold and to whom. It said the Democrat Party and others in opposition to the scheme were fabricating figures to frame it, in an attempt to stop its success with this policy that could benefit the grassroots and popularity of Pheu Thai Party.

The government earlier this month initiated a plan to revamp its image by establishing a proactive public relations team. It earlier appointed a new government spokesman and a new director-general for the Public Relations Department. But besides the order for government agencies to hand in information, nothing has really changed so far.

The government might be happy talking to Pheu Thai fans - who will still be in love with the party for better or worse, or sending hurt messages to opposition Democrat fans. But the government and opposition groups are just a minority among Thais, considering the result of the election in 2011, when at least 20 million eligible voters did not cast a vote for them. And the Thai population is now about 67 million people.

Relations between a national leader and the people aren't like a slap-and-kiss TV drama, nor are they romantic partners who might argue every day but can't live without each other. If Prime Minister Yingluck really wants to stay above politics while keeping a good relationship with the people as a real country leader, she should work harder on administration and then take the mike to speak to Thais on the implementation of her party's policies.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-18

• Like 1

She's so far out of her depth it's pathetic and I wonder how long Mr. T is going to roll with this especially with elder sister Pit Bull, sorry Yaowapa sitting in the wings.

She may be saved by the fact they are all family and was personally picked by Mr. T so her failure reflects badly on him. So much for love of country.

• Like 1

From memory in the last election Peua Thai campaigned with a slogan of "Thaksin Thinks, Peua Thai Does". I seem to recall she campaigned on a platform of national reconciliation, poverty eradication, and corporate income tax reduction.

So one might deduce that Thaksin is still thinking and the platform number is 9¾.

From memory in the last election Peua Thai campaigned with a slogan of "Thaksin Thinks, Peua Thai Does". I seem to recall she campaigned on a platform of national reconciliation, poverty eradication, and corporate income tax reduction.

So one might deduce that Thaksin is still thinking and the platform number is 9¾.

Hey, they got the corporate income tax reduction done. No conflicts of interest there.

There was a 'PM-Yingluck' who gave a resoundingly fine, if slightly whinging, speech about democracy to a bunch of people in Mongolia earlier this year.

And there's our own PM-Yingluck, who runs from the media when she doesn't like the way their questions are going, and who remains resolutely silent when her supporters try to deny other parties their freedom-of-speech.

Does anyone think, that they might possibly be related, clones even ? rolleyes.gif

I guess anything is possible... right?

She's so far out of her depth it's pathetic and I wonder how long Mr. T is going to roll with this especially with elder sister Pit Bull, sorry Yaowapa sitting in the wings.

She may be saved by the fact they are all family and was personally picked by Mr. T so her failure reflects badly on him. So much for love of country.

Slightly off topic, but relevant to the above post. Anyone new to Thai politics who is interested in the Shin family, a family tree can be found here:

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/shin-family-eng.jpg

You will note that oldest sister Yaowapa, who recently won the Doi Saket seat in Chiang Mai is married to

Somchai Wongsawat who was the 26th Prime Minister of Thailand. He was in power during the Thai political crisis of 2008 after which both Yaowapa and Somchai (and others) were banned from politics for five years.

It will indeed be interesting to see if Yaowapa has a greater role to play in the future, and one might speculate that this perhaps explains PM Yingluck's silence; I wonder is she readying herself for a resignation speech?

• Like 1

If only she had done what I suggested before she took office. Have devices implanted in each ear.

One device for Thaksin to listen to what is asked and the other device so Thaksin can give her the reply in real time.

Of course she will have to wear back up phone relay devices with back-up batteries under her clothes but no one would know.

She would be thought to be as erudite and quick witted as Dr. Thaksin himself. Brilliant!

There is little she can say as based on past performance she is screwed no mater what comes out her mouth. The current issues only highlight that the bullshit machine has simply run out options.

No amount of BS can cover what is staring her straight in the face.

Slightly off topic, but relevant to the above post. Anyone new to Thai politics who is interested in the Shin family, a family tree can be found here:

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/shin-family-eng.jpg

You will note that oldest sister Yaowapa, who recently won the Doi Saket seat in Chiang Mai is married to

Somchai Wongsawat who was the 26th Prime Minister of Thailand. He was in power during the Thai political crisis of 2008 after which both Yaowapa and Somchai (and others) were banned from politics for five years.

It will indeed be interesting to see if Yaowapa has a greater role to play in the future, and one might speculate that this perhaps explains PM Yingluck's silence; I wonder is she readying herself for a resignation speech?

I think Dr. Thaksin worries too much that Yaowapa, who very much has a mind of her own, may not be as compliant as Nong Yingluck. As the baby of the family, Ms. Yingluck must follow older brother's dictats. Yaowapa, on the other hand, being older than Thaksin, may think she is both more qualified and smarter than Thaksin. As long as Dr. Thaksin is in control, I think K. Yaowapa will become P.M. only as a last resort.

I think Dr. Thaksin worries too much that Yaowapa, who very much has a mind of her own, may not be as compliant as Nong Yingluck. As the baby of the family, Ms. Yingluck must follow older brother's dictats. Yaowapa, on the other hand, being older than Thaksin, may think she is both more qualified and smarter than Thaksin. As long as Dr. Thaksin is in control, I think K. Yaowapa will become P.M. only as a last resort.

I think you'll find Yaowapa is younger than Thaksin but I admit it's an easy mistake to make !

Seeing the front page of the Bangkok Post yesterday, I got the feeling that maybe, just maybe, the penny has dropped and the disillusioned masses are realizing that having a great smile is not all that is required to run a country. For the redshirts (note lower case) to attack the V-Masks is nothing short of thuggery, unfortunately a trademark of the wonderful democratically elected government now in power.

• Like 2

I think you'll find Yaowapa is younger than Thaksin but I admit it's an easy mistake to make !

My mistake. You are, as usual, correct.

Where is the New government spokesman in all of this shouldn't he be given things to say on this and all important issues like the DM election loss, rice etc.

The pretty lady who was also made some sort of spokesman has also disappeared after getting her photo in the papers once.

Perhaps Yimgluck does not want completion in the pretty face department.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra rarely clarifies government policies or their implementation to the public. She seems keener to talk to foreign communities.

At least she understands that speaking to her own countrymen is futile. Its all bullshit, redirection, laced with stupidity and a waste of effort

Glad to see at least one Thai understanding that the western people have something to offer, even if its sarcasm -sic-

At least she understands that speaking to her own countrymen is futile. Its all bullshit, redirection, laced with stupidity and a waste of effort

Glad to see at least one Thai understanding that the western people have something to offer, even if its sarcasm -sic-

So tthMan you believe Yingluck as such contempt for her fellow countrymen that she believes it is not worth talking to them.

That would have to be the worst condemnation of the lady to date.

There was a 'PM-Yingluck' who gave a resoundingly fine, if slightly whinging, speech about democracy to a bunch of people in Mongolia earlier this year.

And there's our own PM-Yingluck, who runs from the media when she doesn't like the way their questions are going, and who remains resolutely silent when her supporters try to deny other parties their freedom-of-speech.

Does anyone think, that they might possibly be related, clones even ? rolleyes.gif

My opinion is: the original told the clone to shut up and the clone obeys (it's a cultural thing...)

Banned from politics for five years ? Is there anyone in this evil family who does not smell like a polecat ?