Visa To Sweden

I am an American and my Thai fiancés of two years and I have been invited to visit some close friends in Sweden this summer. So now the dance begins. I will be paying for the trip, but because she is Thai I am wondering what the best course is to take. Do we apply for a tourist visa or try for the "visiting friends" visa and submit a letter from a referee. How is Sweden different /better/ worse from other EU countries. She was denied a visa last year to come with me to Greece.

Do other EU countries share information with each other such as her being denied previously? If so, would this pose a problem?

We will with traveling as "Fiancées" will that help, or am I just being paranoid, as I know how difficult it is to get to North America. Any information you have we would greatly appreciate. bbb

You should ask your frinds in sweden to write a letter of invitation there is some pdfs to download at http://www.migrationsverket.se/blankett/vi...is_b_212031.pdf

http://www.migrationsverket.se/blankett/vi...is_e_220011.pdf

http://www.migrationsverket.se/blankett/vi...visa_119031.pdf

download and read fill in and print and send to the swedish embassy in the country of your fiancee. :o

Just adding to goofy's reply. She should apply at the Swedish embassy in her country of residence, not necessarily citizenship. Is she a resident of USA? If so, it will be much easier. Thai girls who already live in another rich country are not suspected of going to Sweden to "work".

If she still lives in Thailand and you are serious about her, then you should work on her moving to your country first. Vacations second.

It is almost impossible to vacation with a Thai girl residing in Thailand. She will be suspected of "working" everywhere she goes. In embassies as well as border crossings.

Thanks moonman,

No, we live here in Thailand, together. We have no intentions to move to America, we both prefer it here. Which is why we want to travel to Sweden this summer, when it gets too hot. I know how difficult a visa can be to get her in to America , so I was not even going to try.

My friends in Stockholm have already drafted invitation letter, so we will try to enter on that angle. I will of-course submit a letter on her behalf proving that I will pay for the trip if that will help. dose anyone else know if Sweden is any better / worse easier/harder than other EU countries? Are there any differences or all the rules the same with in the EU now?

Also she dosnt speak much English and no Swedish, I speak thai. will this be a problem at the Embassy?

Ok, that was quite different from what I thought (you living in US, she in TH).

The Swedish embassy has both Swedes fluent in Thai and native Thai's on staff, so language shouldn't be a problem.

Each country in EU (Schengen) makes its own rules, and each embassy has a lot of power in the visa process. It would help if she holds a good job, car, immovable property. Anything that shows her intention of returning to Thailand. You will be suspected of acting as her pimp, so any proof that you're a good guy will also help.

I still think it would be easier for you guys to travel the world if you started in America. Just going there long enough for her to pick up a US passport. 180 days/year during three years, or something like that? That's what it took my wife in Sweden anyway.

Requirements for a visa to visit friends or relatives

A passport or other travel document, including copy, valid for at least a further three months after departing from Sweden.

A completed application form, in Swedish or English. The application form for a Schengen visa may be downloaded to the right. It is also available at the Embassy or Consulate.

One (1) passport photo.

Written invitation in Swedish or English. The invitation should contain information about the date and duration of the visit. The Embassy provides pre-printed letters of invitation or you may download it to the right, Referee's Appendix – Appendix E.

The referee in Sweden must also enclose proof of his/her own identity (personbevis) with the form. This can be requisitioned from the nearest local tax office or from the website of the Swedish National Tax Board. The referee must send the completed form and his/her proof of identity to you so that you can enclose them with your application.

If the guarantor is not a citizen of Sweden a copy of his/her Swedish residence permit is also required as well as a copy of his/her passport.

Employment certificate from the guarantor or other information (copy of bank-book, salary statement or the like) verifying that funds for the stay are available. If costs for the visit are to be borne by applicant, financial proofs have to be submitted (bank statement, extract from bank book or the like).

In cases where applicant has no reference in Sweden a letter from the employer has to be presented. It should be clear from the certificate that the applicant will still be employed after his/her return home. In these cases the applicant has to submit financial documentation such as extract from bank account, copy of the bank book or the like.

• 1 month later...
oh dear & I though sweden was an easy country to visit for TG :o

It is - I saw a girl 10 days ago in BKK who used to work in a pool bar stacking up the balls and then proceeded onto service girl in a gogo and she told me that she was off to Sweden in 2 days time. Got the visa no problem sponsoredby her new found boyfriend living there.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to open an old thread,but a girlfriend(bar girl) has been invited to sweden,having read the post above,they do not say if she actually has to go to the Swedish embassy,all the other parer work and tickets are on the way to her,but her sponser has not mentioned an embassy visit.

Sorry to open an old thread,but a girlfriend(bar girl) has been invited to sweden,having read the post above,they do not say if she actually has to go to the Swedish embassy,all the other parer work and tickets are on the way to her,but her sponser has not mentioned an embassy visit.

Yes she has to go to the embassy and fill out the application form. Possibly some kind of interview as well.

invitation letter, is the key

all Schengen countries has the same rules. I live in Norway, the neighbour. U simply do this:

write the papers that say you sponsor, bring invitation letter, and statement of your living together in Thai. AND the reservation for tickets both ways.

Then go and apply. U should have the visa after 5 days. She can/will have 90 days Tourist Visa. Then she have to stay out from Schengen for same amount of days. Read the visa carefully, if its a single entry, do not leave Schengen while youre there! (UK)

Have a nice trip! We may see you , ;-)

If your GF owes house or land or have a proper job, then there is no problems.

If you marry your GF, well then there is not problems at all! Not even if she have no job, no land or no house!

I am from Denmark, live in Thailand and have assisted many Thai ladies to get a Schengen visa. You are welcome to PM me for further information :o