Baffled by TM forms?

I am 69 from the US and this will be my 4th Thai visit - I am applying for 2 entry Non-O Tourist Visa from the US It's the forms that baffle me.

1. 1st entry will allow me 60 days. I will then apply for 30 day extension using TM-7 form. Before the 30 day extension expires I need to fly out (leave) and return.

2. This is where I'm confused. Do I need the Re-entry Permit TM-8? I also see a TM-13 Endorsement of re-entry permit - when and where do need this? Do I need two forms to leave and return?

3. Upon my 2nd entry I will then get 60 days that can be extended 30 days as above. If so I see this as giving me me approx. 6 months on the original visa.

4. To stay longer I would then depart (before the 2nd entry 30 day extension expires) and re-apply for a new 2 entry Non-O Tourist Visa in a neighboring country and return and start the process again. (Or transfer to retirement Non-OA which is another topic.)

This is how I am understanding the process; do I have it right? If not, please correct me where I'm wrong and answer question marks.

I know that when you check in to a Hotel - management does the TM-30 form. When/where is the TM-28 form necessary? From the posts I gather that this is for actual resident ex-pats, but does it apply to tourist visas as well? (I didn't know about this form on previous trips - my second visit was retirement visa and moved twice but only stayed 80 days.)

Thanks for any help in clearing up confusion; remember I asking not because I know but because I want to know. And then again if "ignorance is bliss" I don't know why I'm trying to spoil my own happiness.cheesy.gif

You have been answered in another thread and now post the same questions. First have to define the visa - a tourist visa is what allows a 60 day stay and can be extended 30 days. A non immigrant O visa allows a 90 day stay that can not be extended - but some honorary consulates might issue you a multi entry valid for one year of travel, due to your age, with each stay up to 90 days - this would be cheaper than buying 2 entry tourist visa and extending each entry. Based on tourist visas below keyed to your list:

1. Yes but you can travel/return by any means - you do not have to fly.

2. No.

3. Yes.

4. Again - this is a 2 entry tourist visa - not non immigrant O. And 2 entry would likely only be available at a few Consulates (Laos currently).

You do not have to make any reports on a tourist visa entry.

A bit offtopic but is also about TM forms what is the difference between.

TM 18. Application for Substitute of Certificate of Residence

and

TM 20. Application for Substitute of Certificate of Residence

Is the Tm 20 used when you have lost your Certificate of Residence and want a replacement ?

Edited by MJCM

I am 69 from the US and this will be my 4th Thai visit - I am applying for 2 entry Non-O Tourist Visa from the US It's the forms that baffle me.

Why are you getting a 2 entry tourist visa. You could get a multiple entry non-o visa (5000 baht or $200) that costs less than the 2 entry tourist plus the two extensions of each entry that costs 1900 baht each which totals up to 5800 baht. Plus if decide to go the extension of stay route later you would already have the visa needed for the extension.

You can get the multiple entry visa from any of the honorary consulates in the US listed on this webpage http://www.visetkaew.com/wp/directories/ . Portland Oregon has been reported as being very help full.

You have been answered in another thread and now post the same questions. First have to define the visa - a tourist visa is what allows a 60 day stay and can be extended 30 days. A non immigrant O visa allows a 90 day stay that can not be extended - but some honorary consulates might issue you a multi entry valid for one year of travel, due to your age, with each stay up to 90 days - this would be cheaper than buying 2 entry tourist visa and extending each entry. Based on tourist visas below keyed to your list:

1. Yes but you can travel/return by any means - you do not have to fly.

2. No.

3. Yes.

4. Again - this is a 2 entry tourist visa - not non immigrant O. And 2 entry would likely only be available at a few Consulates (Laos currently).

You do not have to make any reports on a tourist visa entry.

I tried to refine my questions on this post but was not able to remove them from previous. Thank you for the clarification.

Why are you getting a 2 entry tourist visa. You could get a multiple entry non-o visa (5000 baht or $200) that costs less than the 2 entry tourist plus the two extensions of each entry that costs 1900 baht each which totals up to 5800 baht. Plus if decide to go the extension of stay route later you would already have the visa needed for the extension.

You can get the multiple entry visa from any of the honorary consulates in the US listed on this webpage http://www.visetkaew.com/wp/directories/ . Portland Oregon has been reported as being very help full.

I'm not quite sure I will stay past 90 days, but I want to know what to do if I do decide to stay longer and the Tourist Visa is easier to apply for, plus at my age I don't even bother to buy green bananas.

It will be just as easy to get the non-o visa as the tourist visa from a honorary consulate.

You just fill in an application form and your passport proves your age to be over 50 and nothing more is needed. Just send application, passport and payment by overnight courier with return paid for the same way and you could have your passport back in as little as 3 days.

The non-o multiple entry visa will be valid for a year and would give you 90 days for each entry. Which certainly makes it much better than getting a two entry tourist visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

I'm not quite sure I will stay past 90 days, but I want to know what to do if I do decide to stay longer and the Tourist Visa is easier to apply for, plus at my age I don't even bother to buy green bananas.

P.S. Checked out Oregon Thai Embassy - Retirement Visas not issued there - and I don't qualify for the Multi-O business, ed, etc.

Edited by lopburi3
fix quote

You do not want a retirement visa (non immigrant O-A) from Portland Royal Thai Consulate. You want a multi entry non immigrant O visa to check on retirement options after your arrival in Thailand. They will at least issue a single entry and very likely issue a multi entry non immigrant O visa for this. Give them a call or email for confirmation. Point out you are 69 years of age as that is very important for such a visa issue.

You do not want a retirement visa (non immigrant O-A) from Portland Royal Thai Consulate. You want a multi entry non immigrant O visa to check on retirement options after your arrival in Thailand. They will at least issue a single entry and very likely issue a multi entry non immigrant O visa for this. Give them a call or email for confirmation. Point out you are 69 years of age as that is very important for such a visa issue.

There is nothing on web site to that effect but I will give the email/call a try - it will certainly be worth it if they say OK - thanks again!

rolleyes.gif You'll be getting that double entry tourist visa in the U.S. so it will most likely have a expiration date 180 days after it is issued.

You must make both entries before that expiration date. For that reason don't get the visa more than a week before you leave the U.S. for Thailand.

The first time you arrive in Thailand with that visa you will get a entry stamp for 60 days.

Before that 60 days entry expires, go to your local immigration office and get a 30 day extension for a fee of 1900 baht.

Now in the last day or two of that extension, make a "border run" to the nearest border.

Exit Thailand, being sure to get the exit stamp showing you left Thailand, Then enter the bordering country, making sure you get an entry stamp from that country.

Now, with those two stamps, you can simply turn around and enter Thailand again. This can be done in less than an hour at the Thai and neighboring country border.

When you re-enter Thailand you activate your 2nd entry on your double entry visa.

Just like the first entry, you will get a 60 day stay stamp on that 2nd entry. You can then extend your 2nd entry also for another 30 days at another 1900 baht fee,

If your careful you can get 180 days on that double entry tourist visa.

Just remember that you must use BOTH of those entries BEFORE that expiration date on your original double entry visa.

I'll let someone else explain how you can get that tourist visa converted to a non O visa and extended for a year for what is often called a "retirement" visa.

That can be done without leaving Thailand at your local immigration office when you have the required documents.

There are financial requirements to meet ..... probably you will want to establish a bank account in Thailand.

If you do establish a retirement account in Thailand, the money must be "aged" in your bank account for 50 days before you can then apply for a one year retirement "visa" extension.

So , don't wait to apply for that retirement extension until your time is short and about to run out.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

If you do establish a retirement account in Thailand, the money must be "aged" in your bank account for 50 days before you can then apply for a one year retirement "visa" extension.
So, don't wait to apply for that retirement extension until your time is short and about to run out.

Believe you have a typo in the above - the requirement is 60 days in account on application for first retirement extension of stay from a non immigrant visa entry and three months each time after that. Once money is in bank however you can apply for change of entry to non immigrant 90 day stay so have plenty of time for the money to be in account the required time for extension..

rolleyes.gif You'll be getting that double entry tourist visa in the U.S. so it will most likely have a expiration date 180 days after it is issued.

You must make both entries before that expiration date. For that reason don't get the visa more than a week before you leave the U.S. for Thailand.

The first time you arrive in Thailand with that visa you will get a entry stamp for 60 days.

Before that 60 days entry expires, go to your local immigration office and get a 30 day extension for a fee of 1900 baht.

Now in the last day or two of that extension, make a "border run" to the nearest border.

Exit Thailand, being sure to get the exit stamp showing you left Thailand, Then enter the bordering country, making sure you get an entry stamp from that country.

Now, with those two stamps, you can simply turn around and enter Thailand again. This can be done in less than an hour at the Thai and neighboring country border.

When you re-enter Thailand you activate your 2nd entry on your double entry visa.

Just like the first entry, you will get a 60 day stay stamp on that 2nd entry. You can then extend your 2nd entry also for another 30 days at another 1900 baht fee,

Just remember that you must use BOTH of those entries BEFORE that expiration date on your original double entry visa.

I'll let someone else explain how you can get that tourist visa converted to a non O visa and extended for a year for what is often called a "retirement" visa.

That can be done without leaving Thailand at your local immigration office when you have the required documents.

There are financial requirements to meet ..... probably you will want to establish a bank account in Thailand.

So , don't wait to apply for that retirement extension until your time is short and about to run out.

rolleyes.gif

Thanks for your advice. A little history. I had an E-O retirement Visa 1/2011 - I arrived BKK 1/15/2011 and returned to US 4/2011 as I was wore out - decided I was too old - upon return found I was approved for VA medical so went for check up - found out I had Hep-C (blood tranfusions in 1970 most likely) - so I dropped Thai plans and started 7 month treament 5/2012 - finished treament 11/2012 HCV non-detectable - returned to BKK for dental work (personal reward for successful treatment) and enjoyed myself. Results of treatment after 6 months 5/2013 was still non-detectable - so a change is once again a realistic possibility.

I live in NM aprox. 50 miles from US/Mexico border. I sent email to Dr. 2 weeks ago asking about signing med. cert. no answer as yet. My experience with getting my documents for last E-O was horrid - those little sqiggly letters on the forms just make folks here afraid (they might get sued) or I'm running a scam. The easiest is the police report because there is not a form.

Moving $US equivalent to 800,000 baht to a Thai account from my tax-deferred IRA would cost me $7,600 US taxes - 400,000 baht would cost me $4,000 US taxes. I've looked at various scenarios and found them to be wasteful of my resources. $65 here and there for extensions is nothing compared to the taxes.

I've decided that a Tourist Visa would satisfy my needs - if I decide to stay then basic language skills would not hurt - so I could then apply on a EDU - or whatever! wai2.gif

rolleyes.gif

Thanks for your advice. A little history. I had an E-O retirement Visa 1/2011 - I arrived BKK 1/15/2011 and returned to US 4/2011 as I was wore out - decided I was too old - upon return found I was approved for VA medical so went for check up - found out I had Hep-C (blood tranfusions in 1970 most likely) - so I dropped Thai plans and started 7 month treament 5/2012 - finished treament 11/2012 HCV non-detectable - returned to BKK for dental work (personal reward for successful treatment) and enjoyed myself. Results of treatment after 6 months 5/2013 was still non-detectable - so a change is once again a realistic possibility.

I live in NM aprox. 50 miles from US/Mexico border. I sent email to Dr. 2 weeks ago asking about signing med. cert. no answer as yet. My experience with getting my documents for last E-O was horrid - those little sqiggly letters on the forms just make folks here afraid (they might get sued) or I'm running a scam. The easiest is the police report because there is not a form.

Moving $US equivalent to 800,000 baht to a Thai account from my tax-deferred IRA would cost me $7,600 US taxes - 400,000 baht would cost me $4,000 US taxes. I've looked at various scenarios and found them to be wasteful of my resources. $65 here and there for extensions is nothing compared to the taxes.

I've decided that a Tourist Visa would satisfy my needs - if I decide to stay then basic language skills would not hurt - so I could then apply on a EDU - or whatever! wai2.gif

You do realize that a monthly income of 65,000 Baht is acceptable for a retirement extension in Thailand? Also, it can be a combination of income and savings equivalant to the 800K.

I get the feeling you haven't done enough research, or don't fully understand the information you've received.

P.S. Checked out Oregon Thai Embassy - Retirement Visas not issued there - and I don't qualify for the Multi-O business, ed, etc.
Los Angeles Thai Embassy does the retirement O-A visa and is very easy to work with. As said, with Multiple Entries included costs $200.

rolleyes.gif

You do realize that a monthly income of 65,000 Baht is acceptable for a retirement extension in Thailand? Also, it can be a combination of income and savings equivalant to the 800K.

I get the feeling you haven't done enough research, or don't fully understand the information you've received.

And I think my reasons for coming to LOS has been fully understood - I don't know if I will need or even want a retirement extension - I just want to be able to hang out for 3, 6, or 9 months or until I decide to stay or leave - essentially I'm going to do what is easiest for me - plus it might be too cold there - today the NM temperature was 109F or 42.7C, humidity 10% (on car temp gage). cheesy.gif

rolleyes.gif

There still seems to be a bit of misinformed info on the non immigrant (being over 50 years of age) option for you.

The non immigrant O-A (long stay visa) does indeed require a more complex application procedure with financial proof, police clearance etc. And not all consulates will process such a visa application.

But you do have the option of of a regular non immigrant O visa, issued only on the fact you are over 50 years of age, no further requirements. In multiple entry version, this visa can give you up to almost 15 months of stay in Thailand, with only the requirement of doing a simple border run every 90 days. No costly extensions at the 60 day mark either, every entry is good for 90 days straight away.

This visa allows you to come and go as you please for a duration of 12 months from issue, with not having to worry at all about your visa situation apart from making sure every stay is not longer then 90 days (after which a simple visit to any landborder will get you a new 90 days).

This multiple entry non immigrant O visa (based on age, but NOT called a retirement visa!) will be almost guaranteed to be issued in your home country. You will also be able to get this visa in any of the neighboring countries here but with the possibility they will only issue a single entry version.

At Portland, you get an non-O, reason--planning for retirement. I have done it twice. Need to show money in bank--not much, I forget the exact amount. They are only open in the morning for about 3 or 4 hrs. Very helpful. Best to e-mail.

Edited by bunnydrops

Did you contact Portland again about a non-o.

Dallas is another good consulate also for the O visa.

Sent email inquiry - waiting for answer? If yes, that is the way I'll apply. Read visas on three sites LA, Chicago, Portland - category "O" is non specific and until I started this post I hadn't come across this info - so evidently a few questions in the wrong direction can lead one to a better solution. Once again - Thank You All!clap2.gif

Honorary consulates cannot issue O-A Multiple Entry (long stay) visas. They must be issued by actual Thai consulates in the US. Those are Los Angeles, Chicago, New York and of course the Embassy in Washington D.C.

With the reasonably good postal service in the US it is very easy to use the Embassy in Washington D.C. since there is no geographical restrictions on using the Embassy, where there are geographical restrictions on using the Consulates

I obtain a new O-A Multiple Entry Visa every two years from the Consulate in New York, doing everything by mail. Both New York and the Washington Embassy do not require that you have the supporting documents (health form, proof of sufficient funds in a US bank or brokerage, police report) notarized, as LA and Chicago do

I spend 8 months in Thailand during the winter and 4 months in the US, so the O-A, Multiple serves my purposes since I can get 2 years worth of coverage without having to do any border runs, just my 90 day reports. Cost is about the same as converting an O into a 1 year permission to stay and saves me the hassle of dealing with the US Embassy in Bangkok to obtain the proof of funds letter, as well as dealing with Thai Immigration for the permission to stay and / or obtaining a re-entry permit to keep the permission to stay alive

rolleyes.gif

There still seems to be a bit of misinformed info on the non immigrant (being over 50 years of age) option for you.

The non immigrant O-A (long stay visa) does indeed require a more complex application procedure with financial proof, police clearance etc. And not all consulates will process such a visa application.

But you do have the option of of a regular non immigrant O visa, issued only on the fact you are over 50 years of age, no further requirements. In multiple entry version, this visa can give you up to almost 15 months of stay in Thailand, with only the requirement of doing a simple border run every 90 days. No costly extensions at the 60 day mark either, every entry is good for 90 days straight away.

This visa allows you to come and go as you please for a duration of 12 months from issue, with not having to worry at all about your visa situation apart from making sure every stay is not longer then 90 days (after which a simple visit to any landborder will get you a new 90 days).

This multiple entry non immigrant O visa (based on age, but NOT called a retirement visa!) will be almost guaranteed to be issued in your home country. You will also be able to get this visa in any of the neighboring countries here but with the possibility they will only issue a single entry version.

Thanks this was a well explained option. wai2.gif

Did you contact Portland again about a non-o.

Dallas is another good consulate also for the O visa.

Sent email inquiry - waiting for answer? If yes, that is the way I'll apply. Read visas on three sites LA, Chicago, Portland - category "O" is non specific and until I started this post I hadn't come across this info - so evidently a few questions in the wrong direction can lead one to a better solution. Once again - Thank You All!clap2.gif

Glad to help.

The embassy and the 3 official consulates will not issue a non-o visas for retirement because they can do the OA so you will not find much info there.

Any news from Portland.

Edited by ubonjoe