WHY PLAYERS REFUSE PUTTING LESSONS

potters

One word in a nutshell

Pride

It is a powerful five-letter word, but in order to adopt a new green reading system, you have to admit that you are not as astute as you think you are. You would think that a player that switches drivers on the fly would adopt a strategy to learn everything they could about the greens. But new drivers and club technology add length and accuracy, both ego-driven aspects of the game. Pride has derailed many players over the years.

When i ask a player "How is your putting" the reply is nearly always the same.

"Overall im not that bad"

Really i say so how many putts did you take during your last round.

How many 1 putts from what distance

How many 2 putts from what distance

How many 3 putts from what distance.

I think you all know the answer,hardly anyone can tell me as they dont keep a record.

If you want to improve your putting you need to start to track HOW MANY putts you take per round.

If you want to fine tune that then add a note on what kind of putt you had.

Do you now where the fall line is in any given putt.

You see identifying the fall line will tell you quickly which way the putt breaks.

You will quickly find out if you have a problem on the greens KEEP NOTES.

I do as a caddy.

If i was to run a course that said learn to drive the ball 300 yds people would sign up

left right and center,but putting NO.

Dont let your pride get in the way keep tabs on your putting it may need fine tuning.

Short game Short game Short game

You've heard it before

Drive for show Putt for dough

PM me if you would like info on Green reading and putting clinics.

Potters

I don't think they necessarily "refuse" and I also do not agree that it is because of pride.

They may be mistaken in thinking it is not worth the cost but that is a very different reason all be it with the same outcome.

I would probably take a lesson if I did not have bigger priorities - tee to green for example and time constraints thumbsup.gif

I agree tee to green is a far bigger priority for me. I 3 putt 30% of the time, 2 putt 60% and 1 putt 10%. But the number of times in a round I reach the green already without a hope of a point is around 40% and my priority is to sort that out first! Wildly inconsistent tee to green, once I get there its familiar territory.

Very interesting stats you should read taken on PGA Tour pros.

Thts why the average golfer stating he is an ok putter dont match up.

attachicon.gifstrokes-gained-putting_-baseline-probabilities-chart-pgatour-com-1.jpg

I would love to have taken your putting lessons many years ago. Unfortunately I am in my twilight years and have lost my passion for the game. Plus the nearest golf course is 80 kilometers from my front door.

I was always a decent putter but nothing spectacular. I seemed to have more problem with the 3-4 footers than any others. My reading skills could have certainly been honed to a finer degree with some lessons.

Keep trying to pass the word.

That is a very generalised argument Potters.....as you well know there are so many individuals at varying degrees of ability bashing the little white pill around the paddock.

If I was asked what holds people back from getting putting lessons.....pride would not have even entered the equation.

Ignorance, not thought about it, never considered it etc. .....would've been the most responses I'd imagine that people would say. The average golfer gets more satisfaction from smashing one off the tee and splitting the fairway, than sinking a twisty twenty footer.

I could not agree more that putting is the most important part of the game, when considering a good score.

Since moving here to Thailand, and being disappointed that there are no regular weekend club competitions etc. as there are in OZ, my game now revolves around how well I strike the ball as to how well I putted when I have a post mortem of a game.

Any seasoned golfer will tell you that they feel that they played better golf with a round of 80 with 40 putts (hit every fairway and green, smoked 'em off the tee...but the bloody putter let me down), than a round of 80 with 21 putts (played like shit, all over the place, but couldn't miss a putt, so pretty lucky I guess).

As with any aspect of the game...practice, practice, practice.

Have Fun.

Cheers.

Edited by Rsquared
  • Like 1

I agree with all your comments above.

Those of you that have identified that you have a problem from tee to green,

at least have a starting point on where you should improve your game.

I think with most people it is time.

I was watching an interview with Tiger Woods on the Golf channel and they asked him

how he practiced.

His reply was "From the green backwards"

Most of my practice is spent on short game.

But most of us mere mortals dont have the luxury of that amount of time to practice.

Still interesting, and yes about half your score will be clocked up on the greens.

Quick tip for those of you who play using buggies.

Get out of the buggy about 20-30 yds before the green with putter in hand.

You will start to get an idea of the contours of the green.

Just walking straight on the green will not help unfortunately our eyes lie to us.

Potters

I would love some lessons. Tried to get down to see Greg in my last holiday but ran out of time. Trying to plan something for October now.

Greg is still kicking around and a great teacher of chipping and bunker play.

Gives a shout when you are in town.

I have Gregs number if you have lost it

Potters

I agree to some extent with your OP, but for me the weak part of the game is my fairway and approach shots, so I've just lived with my putting to some extent. Driving is fairly consistent now that I've slowed my swing down and actually improved distance and accuracy. Fairway shots are troublesome and inconsistent and get me into strife 40% of the time. Approach shots are about the same with 40% either getting me into trouble or costing me a stroke because I land short or go too long - lack of consistency.

Putting is rarely more than 2. I probably only ever 3 put twice a round on average and my caddy diligently records the putts, gives me major grief if I 3 putt. I wouldn't say my putting is strong but I seem to be able get away with 1's and 2's. I work on the "close enough is good enough" theory and tend to be short rather than long on the put - this means that I'm almost always within 2 feet after the first put but the 2nd is a gimme. Have fellow players who are technically better putters than me and regularly get 15 footers in one, but the number of times they overshoot and leave themselves a difficult 2nd put is quite astounding. At the end of the game I nearly always have the lowest number of puts.

It's not much consolation when you get to the green wasting one or two strokes in the fairway/approach, and then 1 or 2 put. So I'm trying to focus on general course management and club selection in the fairway rather than work on the putting. I suspect that if/when I sort my approach shots out that I will have to work on the putting - that's because I nearly always land too short on the approach and therefore have an easy chip to the green that means I regularly fall within that 15 foot range of the hole. If I manage to land more on the green from 150 yds out then it's likely that I'll have longer puts and will need to improve. Until then my putting will have to suffice.

I have yet to find an effective putting teacher here. I would love to find one though.

Give me a shout we can have a session together and take it from there.

Not happy then dont pay.

Cant be fairer than that.

PUTTING TIPto carry 6 foot of the putt.

Everyone dreads the 6 footer for a birdie or to save par.

Here is a good tip so you dont Psyche yourself out of the Putt.

Take one step from your ball nearer the hole,so you are now

looking at a 3 foot putt.

Take a few practice strokes and see yourself draining the 3 footer.

Then take your step back and set up behind your ball.

You are then hitting your putt only 3 foot allowing for maybe a little break ,but enough pace to carry 6 foot.

The reason it works is this.

When we look at a 3 foot putt we can nail them 9/10 times or even 10.

So with a 6 footer and splitting the putt in half we are reading 2 /3 footers.

It works a treat and if you miss then its your stroke or read not pace.

Hope you can make sense of this post much easier to show someone.

Potters

I have yet to find an effective putting teacher here. I would love to find one though.

Not happy then dont pay.

Where are you based? I'm in Phuket but may be in BKK for a few days in the next month or so.

Not happy then dont pay.

Where are you based? I'm in Phuket but may be in BKK for a few days in the next month or so.

Im in Bangkok just hit me up when you get here.

Im available Fridays

Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

Will keep my eye on my regular venue Thana City as they

sanded the practice greens heavily so they are not good

right now.

Potters

I agree to some extent with your OP, but for me the weak part of the game is my fairway and approach shots, so I've just lived with my putting to some extent. Driving is fairly consistent now that I've slowed my swing down and actually improved distance and accuracy. Fairway shots are troublesome and inconsistent and get me into strife 40% of the time. Approach shots are about the same with 40% either getting me into trouble or costing me a stroke because I land short or go too long - lack of consistency.

Putting is rarely more than 2. I probably only ever 3 put twice a round on average and my caddy diligently records the putts, gives me major grief if I 3 putt. I wouldn't say my putting is strong but I seem to be able get away with 1's and 2's. I work on the "close enough is good enough" theory and tend to be short rather than long on the put - this means that I'm almost always within 2 feet after the first put but the 2nd is a gimme. Have fellow players who are technically better putters than me and regularly get 15 footers in one, but the number of times they overshoot and leave themselves a difficult 2nd put is quite astounding. At the end of the game I nearly always have the lowest number of puts.

It's not much consolation when you get to the green wasting one or two strokes in the fairway/approach, and then 1 or 2 put. So I'm trying to focus on general course management and club selection in the fairway rather than work on the putting. I suspect that if/when I sort my approach shots out that I will have to work on the putting - that's because I nearly always land too short on the approach and therefore have an easy chip to the green that means I regularly fall within that 15 foot range of the hole. If I manage to land more on the green from 150 yds out then it's likely that I'll have longer puts and will need to improve. Until then my putting will have to suffice.

Something that may help with course management and save you a few shots.

When you are looking at your approach shot to the green play away

from potential Hazards.

If you have plenty of green to play with then play the percentages

and just get your ball on the green stuff.

I see so many amatuers taking on pins located the other side of a bunker.

Or a narrow or small area of the green over water.

They just get freaked over the shot and end up making costly mistakes.

Mange your game and look at your options.

Pros do it all the time.

Even a lay up but opening up the green for your next shot is still better

then taking on something risky.

Play well.

Potters

The closer I get to the hole the worse I get. I play off 2. Hit most fairways/greens.

But if I miss a green I'm basically just trying to get the ball onto the green, not near the hole, I'm useless. Then as for the putting, well....I have a better chance of holing or 2 putting from 40 ft than I do from 4ft.

I can read greens, no problem, but can't get the ball on the line on close putts. Honestly, the first few holes and the last few holes are a nightmare. The holes in between are just bad. :)

Tried crosshanded with little improvement. Then pencil grip for the shorter putts with again, little improvement but still bad bad bad. Can't remember the last time I had 30 putts or better in a round. Usually around 33 to 35 per round.

I work at a golf course so spend about 2 hours a day on the putting green, all to no avail.

Think I will just line up and close my eyes to feel the putter head next time on the course. Can't be worse than it is already. :)

That is a very generalised argument Potters.....as you well know there are so many individuals at varying degrees of ability bashing the little white pill around the paddock.

If I was asked what holds people back from getting putting lessons.....pride would not have even entered the equation.

Ignorance, not thought about it, never considered it etc. .....would've been the most responses I'd imagine that people would say. The average golfer gets more satisfaction from smashing one off the tee and splitting the fairway, than sinking a twisty twenty footer.

I could not agree more that putting is the most important part of the game, when considering a good score.

Since moving here to Thailand, and being disappointed that there are no regular weekend club competitions etc. as there are in OZ, my game now revolves around how well I strike the ball as to how well I putted when I have a post mortem of a game.

Any seasoned golfer will tell you that they feel that they played better golf with a round of 80 with 40 putts (hit every fairway and green, smoked 'em off the tee...but the bloody putter let me down), than a round of 80 with 21 putts (played like shit, all over the place, but couldn't miss a putt, so pretty lucky I guess).

As with any aspect of the game...practice, practice, practice.

Have Fun.

Cheers.

Couple of good societys here in Bangkok that hold regular comps.

The Wanderes

Londoner

International Golf Society

If you are at a more serious level then

TheBackTboys may be the one for you.

Regards

Potters

The closer I get to the hole the worse I get. I play off 2. Hit most fairways/greens.

But if I miss a green I'm basically just trying to get the ball onto the green, not near the hole, I'm useless. Then as for the putting, well....I have a better chance of holing or 2 putting from 40 ft than I do from 4ft.

I can read greens, no problem, but can't get the ball on the line on close putts. Honestly, the first few holes and the last few holes are a nightmare. The holes in between are just bad. smile.png

Tried crosshanded with little improvement. Then pencil grip for the shorter putts with again, little improvement but still bad bad bad. Can't remember the last time I had 30 putts or better in a round. Usually around 33 to 35 per round.

I work at a golf course so spend about 2 hours a day on the putting green, all to no avail.

Think I will just line up and close my eyes to feel the putter head next time on the course. Can't be worse than it is already. smile.png

Where do you work?

Here in Bangkok?

Let me know we may be able to hook up

Putting is one of the most complicated simple things.

I guess however that most experienced players know how to put correctly - they simply don't get around to apply what they know.

Also, the putting gesture reflects the general swing. Someone that putts square is likely to swing square as well and the opposite is also true.

That's why I think improvement in putting depends on the player's discipline more than on taking lessons.

But putting being 50% of the strokes, any serious player should invest time in training putting. First step is to check the lines / swing plane. If not square, the first thing to do is to go back to the driving range and get that swing back in order and the divots straight.

Edited by manarak

You are then hitting your putt only 3 foot allowing for maybe a little break ,but enough pace to carry 6 foot.

Potters

If you graze the grass doing this, you will get your 2 points penalty.

Potters

If you graze the grass doing this, you will get your 2 points penalty.

Yes thats right hold the putter above the ground it is the visualization

of holing the putt you are after.

Good point made though.

Problem is, in my opinion, that most hackers dont have the required consistency in their ball striking with the putter in order to learn something when they practice putting.

So many parameters are involved in putting. Question is whether a hacker can benefit from learning how to read greens, when in a ll fairness they dont have the consistent ball striking required to start the ball on the correct line at the correct speed.

On the other hand, I totally agree with the concept of practising your short-game and putting if an improvement in your score is what you seek. From what I have seen, most people are chasing the feeling of flushing a 6-iron or nailing a drive down the center. Score is irrelevant as long as they can sit in the bar and brag about that 280-yard drive down the middle. He**, some even brag about it here on TV...

But as I said, if I would recommend anyone to practice something, putting would be no.2 on the list (wedges from 100 and closer would be no.1). And NEVER hit of mats!

Golf is a good natured game and generally played by people that like to give others confidence to do better.

People that refer to other players as hackers, regardless if they are or not, are pompous, boorish oafs that should not be allowed off a bar stool.

Sorry Potters, didn't mean to spoil your thread but some people, really.

• Like 1

Golf is a good natured game and generally played by people that like to give others confidence to do better.

People that refer to other players as hackers, regardless if they are or not, are pompous, boorish oafs that should not be allowed off a bar stool.

Sorry Potters, didn't mean to spoil your thread but some people, really.

I dont agree. In addition, I believe knowledge and experience in combination with a well reasoned argument are the kind of thing that lands well with a majority of golf players; regardless of their playing skills.

In putting, ball striking is an incredibly important factor. I suggest you use some impact tape on your putter during a round and try for yourself. My point is that reading greens doesn't do much good unless you cant strike the ball in a consistent way, and most hackers can't. Sorry to break the bad news.

But as I said, putting and short game is by far the two pieces of the game hackers should practice if they want to improve their scoring.

Oh, and I forgot to say Welcome Back!

Edited by Forethat

Reminds me of a drill that I read way back when.....

On the putter face place two bandaids vertically either side of the "sweet spot" and practice.....when you strike the ball off centre, it will hit the padded part of the bandaid and you will instantly know you are off centre.

Just one of a thousand tips out there.

Cheers.

On the putter face place two bandaids vertically either side of the "sweet spot" and practice.....when you strike the ball off centre, it will hit the padded part of the bandaid and you will instantly know you are off centre.

Cheers.

hitting the ball square is more important IMHO.

Cheers.

....Yes, and getting the ball in the hole is even more important again IMHO.

So.....do you have any profound advice on how to consistently hit the ball square????

Cheers.

....Yes, and getting the ball in the hole is even more important again IMHO.

So.....do you have any profound advice on how to consistently hit the ball square????

As I wrote earlier in this thread, to hit square, you need a square swing plane.

Drills that are working are well known, such as the two clubs laid parallel on the green on each side of the line. It is then very easy to see if your putter hits square or not.

When putting most players reproduce their playing stance and posture, so if you tend to not be square when putting, then you need to go back to the driving range and correct your swing plane for the general play. If the swing plane is wrong, the posture is probably wrong also, so you need to position your feet correctly first and maybe the ball position.

But then the plane might be impossible to correct without correcting the grip...

Or maybe the problem is another alltogether, such as sway or a mobile head, inconsistent swing height...

I guess you get my point.

Edited by manarak

I can read greens, no problem, but can't get the ball on the line on close putts. Honestly, the first few holes and the last few holes are a nightmare. The holes in between are just bad. smile.png

Think I will just line up and close my eyes to feel the putter head next time on the course. Can't be worse than it is already. smile.png

Playing off 2 and averaging 34 putts a round means that your average GIR per round is 14/18 = 79%

Currently the PGA tour GIR stats leader is 72%

Your tee to green is fantastic, lock in those lessons because if you get that sorted with your Tee to Green it would be a licence to print cash!