Online Dictionaries & Thai Language Resources

cdnvic

I heard the Thai Rosetta Stone is not very good... what about the Pimsleur Thai Program. Anyone have experience with this?

This really depends at what level you are at present. Rossetta Stone I certainly do not consider a "beginner level". I bought it a few years ago while still living in the US. I did not use it - because I found it too difficult at first.

I used it approx 4 months ago - and I feel it was more useful in increasing my level of Thai - reading Thaiscript, comprehension, vocabulary etc. - than 30 Private lessons I took approx 6 months ago - at about three times the price.

If you are interested and you are at a level you could benefit from it - send me a personal message - I no longer have a use for it.

There is a currently free course available - not as comprehensive as Rossetta Stone - but probably better put together -

L-Lingo.com.

Edited by Parvis

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another resource:

The U.S. Foreign Service Institute teaches foreign languages to government

diplomats and personnel for duties abroad—and its courses are available

online, for free. Which means you can access audio, texts, and tests in 41

different languages

http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php

Thai at http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Thai

Has anyone found a chart that clearly shows which consonants sound the same and which ones are no longer/rarely used?

I have seen the following mention in various websites but have not yet found it clearly set out. (ie with the Thai script, Thai consonants/words using english alphabet, etc)

"The Thai writing system has 44 consonants that represent only 21 distinct sounds. Two consonants are obsolete and 12 rarely used."

Edited by Tex79

Do you mean sort of like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_language

Btw - Most beginners books will have a list.

Thanks desi, the table is getting closer to what I was hoping to find but its still not all that easy to understand. Maybe if it had the option to click a voice recorded pronounciation for the common sounding sounds it would be more helpful.

Reminds me of people trying to say Mum/Mom calling their stepmother a horse:)

Sound... ok...

Chris from Slice of Thai might have what you are looking for: Consonant Sound Chart

Btw - Chris and Benjawan (Paiboon Publishing) just released their new software dictionary. You can see it here: Thai-English English-Thai Talking Dictionary

Thanks desi, that's pretty close...maybe now I just need to spend some more time trying to remember/pronounce the sounds...so far I can only remember about 6-8 characters but would like to be able to be able to read thai even if at first I don't understand what I'm reading:)

Also that new software dictionary looks like it might be a great help. Shame it's not free but if I find the trial useful I'm sure the $25 could be easily justified!

Edited by Tex79

Thanks desi, that's pretty close...maybe now I just need to spend some more time trying to remember/pronounce the sounds...so far I can only remember about 6-8 characters but would like to be able to be able to read thai even if at first I don't understand what I'm reading:)

If you are struggling to remember the alphabet, then perhaps break it down?

To learn the Thai alphabet you need to memorise what each one looks like (an innie or an outie, or just plain weird), which ones have different sounds at the beginning and the end (or no ends at all), who is low/med/high tone, and finally, their Thai names... (is it a chicken, or an egg?)

I used to stare at a Thai alphabet wall charts for kids (mine has been everywhere in my house - mostly gathering dust). I'd even flip a stack of alphabet cards back and forth. No luck. Then I bought 60Min Thai Alphabet and it worked right away. The site explains it so I won't.

But, a given, it all depends on how you learn languages.

Other fabulous books for learning how to read Thai:

Reading Thai is Fun by James Neal

Introduction to Thai Reading by Rungrat Luanwarawat

And you can find more stuff here.

Hi

Is there a simple free on-line Thai language sight that will teach me simple words, phrases, numbers, colors etc.

I need to be able to read the word or phrase in English, maybe see a picture of it, and press a button to hear it in Thai again and again :)

I tried Rosetta Stone but there was not printed english, only thai.

I would just like to ask and understand prices at street market, ask and understand directions on how to get somewhere and simple things like that, I think it would make my vacations in Thailand more interesting .

maybe someday learn the Thai letters but thats not important now ,

My brain is not as sharp as before so I need something simple

Thanks for your advise

BK

A friend has expressed an interest in learning spoken Thai rather than the script. I am researching for him if there are any online resources or books which would allow him to do practice exercises for learning vocabulary or pronunciation without him having to read the Thai language.

Hi all,

As a long-time lurker on this forum I thought it was time to contribute... I've set up an online database of categorised word lists with Thai spelling (Thai script) and English translations. Perhaps someone here may find it useful. Just point your browsers at:

thai.markhollow.com

Features:

• 4,500+ unique words, split into 350+ topics/categories
  • basic layout, suitable for use on both mobile phones and conventional web browsers.
  • displays Thai script either in normal text or as image files (for devices without Thai fonts, like my old mobile phone)
  • customisable font size
  • choice of Thai fonts (if words displayed as images)
  • font comparisons: when words are displayed as images, two fonts can be shown together (useful for comparing traditional & modern typefaces - as a novice reader I find the latter hard to read)
  • searchable database (although currently limited to English words)
  • free, non-commercial, no subscription, and no advertising. Just enjoy & learn...

The most of the topic/word lists were taken from sealang.net/thai (with just a couple I've added myself).

Cheers,

Mark

PS - the thaivisa forum software warned me against posting URLs but hopefully I'll be forgiven as it's a free, & totally non-commercial web site... :-)

• Like 1

This really depends at what level you are at present. Rossetta Stone I certainly do not consider a "beginner level". I bought it a few years ago while still living in the US. I did not use it - because I found it too difficult at first.

I used it approx 4 months ago - and I feel it was more useful in increasing my level of Thai - reading Thaiscript, comprehension, vocabulary etc. - than 30 Private lessons I took approx 6 months ago - at about three times the price.

If you are interested ...

+1 to that. I bought the Rosetta Stone program years ago when I was a beginner and thought it was terrible and almost useless, so I shelved it. I picked it up again out of curiosity a few months ago, and was surprised at what I found. If you already speak at an intermediate level and can read and write, the Rosetta Stone is pretty awesome. It is definitely not for beginners, but if you have been studying for long enough to understand basic grammar and you can read and write then you will probably get a lot out of it.

Hi all

I have just started a new blog and twitter feed called Tweet Yourself Thai.

Please drop by and have a look.

Follow the Twitter feed at @AjarnPasa and visit the blog at www.tweetyourselfthai.wordpress.com

Both are designed for the intermediate learner and include reading practice and vocab based around situations and topics. Short timely lessons for the Thai learner on the fly.

Enjoy

AjarnPasa

• 3 weeks later...

If you can read Thai and want practice listening as you read, here's a nice Thai music site with the lyrics embedded in the video (in Thai, not in 'karaoke' phonetics). LikeThai music videos

Here's a nice example of "pop as social commentary" that manages to get through the whole song without once using the expression รักเธอ! Enjoy. Sw :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LssjPQWY9wI

Edited by SoftWater

Here's a nice example of "pop as social commentary" that manages to get through the whole song without once using the expression รักเธอ! Enjoy. Sw :)

Too Funny, that is แสน นากา (San Naka)! He's a regular player in the Bangkok club circuit. He's also the older brother of เสก โลโซ (Sek Loso)!

I too find it tiring that the term รักเธอ is so over used in thai songs, but then hey, how else are they gonna say "luv u"?

Great link for songs though, thanx. ..

Can anyone update on a good latest software dictionary (thai-end-thai) for a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone?

I have used PPClinks E-dictionary reader for WM in past and found it good. It doesn't seem to work on later versions of WM though. My HTC phone came with Lexitron Pack but the software seems very simple, albeit works. Any others experienced?

Edited by Digitalbanana

• 2 weeks later...

Studying a language has never been easy especially for a person like me who just want to have fun learning a language. I bought books, even engaged myself in Teach Me tutorials in the internet but none of them excites me, except for L-lingo (http://www.l-lingo.com/). It’s very affordable (other tutorials and books cost too much, and leaves you hanging) learning a language for us using L-lingo is quick, fun and easy because learning doesn’t have to be that hard.

• 4 weeks later...

My favourite is Its4thai.com. Very good interface with easy to use tutorials and lessons. I have never had face to face lessons only tried to teach myself. Would anyone recommend face to face tutoring rather than solely online and teaching yourself or is there enough resources on the web to teach yourself?

• 5 weeks later...

This is addressed mainly to Intermediate students looking for further reading materials:

After finishing up the Thomas Gething intermediate reader series (56 lessons with pdf and mp3 files, available free online), I settled on นิทานพื้นบ้านอีสาน, (isbn 978-974521684-6) (a series of folk tales with at least one other volume for southern folk tales). I have a neighbor record individual stories onto a small mp3 player, then I use audacity (a free sound system) to listen to the files and extract parts to include in my anki flashcards.

Granted, the folk tales will use 'folk-tale' kinds of vocabulary (Once upon a time, etc), but as I do more and more stories, I find common vocabulary threads throughout the stories. That was one of the nice features of the Gething series.....repeated vocabulary.

The book is available for 60 baht at most bookstores that supply schools/students.

Can anyone update on a good latest software dictionary (thai-end-thai) for a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone?

I have used PPClinks E-dictionary reader for WM in past and found it good. It doesn't seem to work on later versions of WM though. My HTC phone came with Lexitron Pack but the software seems very simple, albeit works. Any others experienced?

This word in hand dictionary by Paiboon Publishing might do the trick. It works on Windows, Iphone and Palm OS. It's a superb 'speaking' dictionary that allows you to search by English, Thai script and phonetic sound for a word. It incorporates all the major phonetic systems being used to teach Thai (you can set it on the one you prefer) and has an aray of user friendly features. I think it's a a game changer. Thoroughly impressed. Click on link for more details and free trial.

http://word-in-the-hand.com

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi - I've looked at many of the sites mentioned here but can't find one that will translate a Thai sentance into English? am I missing something? I'm not looking for a Dictionary but a rough translation.

Thai2english.com used to do that; I think it still does, but I stopped using it a couple of years? ago after they changed the interface to something unusable.

If you just want a machine translator - with all the dubious veracity that that implies - try frengly.com

Hi - I've looked at many of the sites mentioned here but can't find one that will translate a Thai sentance into English? am I missing something? I'm not looking for a Dictionary but a rough translation.

Thai2english.com used to do that; I think it still does, but I stopped using it a couple of years? ago after they changed the interface to something unusable.

If you just want a machine translator - with all the dubious veracity that that implies - try frengly.com

thanks - google is similar

"a rough translation"

Google translate does that. I cut/paste Thai Rath newspaper articles into google translate.......the rough translation gives me a good idea of what the article is about. Another nice feature is to move your cursor over a 'translated' portion of the text (on the right side of your google translate page). Thai will appear above your translated sentence.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's far better than anything else out there (IMO).

You can also type Thai/English into the left side of the screen and the right side will show the translation as you type. Again, not perfect, but it's a nice feature. It helps to know how to type Thai!

• 2 weeks later...

Tap sap: Thai word or phrase that's been adapted from another language, usually from English.

English language doesn't have a word equivalent for the Thai word 'tap sap'. Maybe English should adapt the word tap sap. It's a bit less of a mouthful than saying 'a word used in English adapted from a word taken from another language.'

Anyhow, the most comprehensive list of Thai tap sap words & phrases is a book called '700 Thai Words Taken From English' It's available in some stores as a paperback, but the easier way to get it is as an ebook. Also has several other chapters which facilitate learning Thai quickly and easily.

The book's URL: