AVG Antivirus App - A virus?

petedk

This morning I read a very confusing article in the Bangkok Post about the AVG antivirus app.

According to the writer The Thailand Computer Emergency Response Team (ThaiCeert) have found out the the app is in fact a virus that sends details of secure codes and send an SMS to a number in the UK.

They advise people to unistall immediately and if anyone has conducted online banking by their phone to contact their bank immediately.

I had to check the date twice to see if it was April1.

Does anyone know about this?

I have a feeling that there is something wrong with the report because it says something about the AVG app was made to dupliate the anti virus AVG.

I saw it too this morning. I use the legit app and sent a message to AVG along with a link. They said that it was malicious and pushed into the system up the chain to arrange for it to be removed from Google Play. I also made a comment on the Bangkokpost page and the page has been unavailable since. The main thing for me was that they didn't show the app icons to compare, so that people could tell if they had the dodgy ones or not.

I saw the newspaper edition and there was a photo of the icon but it wasn't very clear. I use the AVG app and the icon in the photo looked identical to me. I searched for the online version but couldn't find so i guess they had already removed it.

The article was poorly written and seemed to suggest that it was the free AVG app that was malicious.

I have used the AVG app for nearly two years and have had no problems.