Thai Policeman's Brother Killed For Trying To Stop A Fight

webfact

Policeman's Brother Killed For Trying To Stop A Fight

BANGKOK: -- A man was reportedly stabbed to death after he attempted to break up a fight between his friends and a group of strangers as they were drinking at a roadside eatery in Phuket province.

When police arrived at the scene in Muang district, they found chairs and tables along with dishes and bottles scattered all over the nighttime eatery, which offers country music performance as well as alcohol for late night patrons. On the floor near the music stage, police found the body of Mr. Udom Srita, 37, in the pool of blood. He had 3 stabbing wounds on his chest and one more on his head.

Police said they found jewelry and more than 10,000 baht in cash on his body, suggesting that the crime was not about robbery. Mr. Udom was also equipped with a handgun. An empty bullet case corresponding to the type carried by Mr. Udom was found nearby.

It is understood that Mr. Udom is a younger brother of Pol.Cpt. Prasert Srita, a senior policeman in the area.

Witnesses said Mr. Udom was celebrating his friend′s birthday party at the eatery. He was drinking with 5 friends, witnesses said, when one of his friend, Mr. Chaiyan Maikarn, got into arguments with group of teenagers that were drinking on the next table. Fistfights later ensued and Mr. Chaiyan was wounded by the strangers′ knives, witnesses said.

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM01UWTBNVEk0T1E9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-06-20

Another tragic death but I have to ask why was he carrying a firearm ? Will there be a valid reason or just because it's the done thing, however if he was legally carrying in connection with his job for example why was he out drinking when armed ? It's all a recipe for disaster.

• Like 2

Another tragic death but I have to ask why was he carrying a firearm ?   Will there be a valid reason or just because it's the done thing,  however if he was legally carrying in connection with his job for example  why was he out drinking when armed ?   It's all a recipe for disaster.

Pretty much ALL police (and police relatives) carry while off duty. Including to the pub.

Scary ain't it. Beware of people wearing brown trousers and shiny shoes:ph34r:

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 2

Maybe I'm wrong. But it seems like I am constantly hearing about how any Thai person- any- can potentially get very violent with you if you cross certain, possibly invisible, lines with them in regards of disrespect or perceived disrespect... does this stem from a lack of faith in the police to help settle disputes, or is there something else in the culture that would bring violence a little closer to the surface here?

... or am I completely misreading this and Thai people are statistically no more violent than westerners?

For the last 20 years of my police service carried a personal issue revolver 24/7, other than periods of leave. and naturally there were strict regulations.

One regulation, mainly meant for off duty officers, stated that " activities must be compatible with the security of the weapon " it didn't specifically say " don't go on the piss " but it didn't have to. In the story above had a police officer been involved, and survived, he would have been in it up to the roots of his hair as presumption of innocence was discretely reversed and he would have to prove himself innocent although that would never have been admitted of course.

I am only too well aware of this as I spent a tour of duty in Internal Investigations.

Here it seems you're a nobody without a gun, it's a required fashion accessory, and is to produced at the slightest excuse.

Maybe I'm wrong. But it seems like I am constantly hearing about how any Thai person- any- can potentially get very violent with you if you cross certain, possibly invisible, lines with them in regards of disrespect or perceived disrespect... does this stem from a lack of faith in the police to help settle disputes, or is there something else in the culture that would bring violence a little closer to the surface here?

... or am I completely misreading this and Thai people are statistically no more violent than westerners?

I first heard these points about 30 years ago in Manila and a friend, a long time resident in the Philippines, produced a copy of a newspaper article he had kept which had been written by a Filipino on the subject.

In essence the writer said all the smiles were false and the average Filipino ( Thai ? ) harboured a deep seated feeling of anger which could be sparked off at any time and for what seemed little or no good reason.

Perhaps others have better locally based thoughts or input.

Another mistaken analogy "do not bring a knife to a gun fight" Just shows there are exceptions to most accepted truths, other than "if an angry man with a knife gets within 10 foot of you, you will be cut"

Many after Hours clubs, were known as knife and gun clubs when I was a pup, throw in a generation gap, expected respect, most likely all were drunk, just surprised there was not a female involved, but maybe the report left that out

UPDATE:
Phuket birthday fight ends in stabbing death

Phuket Gazette

_Police_investigating_at_the_bar_near_Ch
Police investigating at the bar near Chalong Circle. Photo Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Two men were stabbed in a fight at a live-music venue near Chalong Circle early this morning. One of the men died; the other is expected to recover from his wounds.

Police have arrested one suspect and are searching for four more.

Officers received the report of the stabbing at 3am. When they arrived at Saraphanpleng bar on Patak Road, about 300 meters from Chalong Circle, they found tables and chairs overturned, said Lt Wuthiwat Leangboonjinda of the Chalong Police.

The body of Udom Sritar, 37, was lying in a pool of blood under a table.

“We found a deep stab wound at the base of his skull and three more in his chest,” said Lt Wuthiwat.

“One of Mr Udom’s friends, Chaiyan Maikarn, 40, had also been stabbed in the chest. He was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital by rescue workers from the nearby Phuket Provincial Administrative Organization tourist rescue center,” he explained.

According to witnesses, Mr Udom, a brother of Capt Prasert Sritar of Chalong Police, was attending a friend’s birthday party at the bar. As he and his friends were drinking, Mr Chaiyan became embroiled in an argument with five men at a nearby table, said Lt Wuthiwat.

They soon started fighting, and when Mr Udom saw Mr Chaiyan being beaten, he tried to stop the men, but they stabbed him several times with a pointed chisel.

Mr Udom pulled out an 11mm handgun and fired at the men once. His shot missed and he fell to the floor and died, Lt Wuthiwat said.

“Four of the men fled the scene. One, Sittichai Thingsiri, 32, was left behind,” he said.

“Mr Sittichai was identified by a waiter as being in the group that assaulted Mr Udom. He was quite drunk when we found him,” he said.

Mr Sittichai told police that the fight started because of unfriendly looks on both sides. He identified two of his friends, named by police only as Mr Na and Mr Nu, as being involved in the fight.

He said Mr Nu stabbed Mr Udom, Lt Wuthiwat said.

Police have charged Mr Sitthichai with assault causing death and are looking for the four other men.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-birthday-fight-ends-in-stabbing-death-21384.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-20

Broadly true.......a simple thing such as touching ( even in a non sexual way ) a Thai man's partner will bring an explosion of rage far outside the "offence". Some things seem to trigger immediate and violent responses.

What you will find here though is that the capacity for violent retribution goes way beyond what you will expect to see in other countries. You will see effective lynchings with packs of Thais both male and female beating the life out of one victim. That's never mind the glass, knife and gun assaults.

The reason why you are advised to never get involved in a conflict is that you will invariably cause a knock on effect where all Thais in the vicinity will fire in to you, so unless you fancy fighting the entire village / pub / club, then get away as fast as you can.

Maybe what you call some "invisible" line of inappropriate touching of a Thai female is really based on the exploitation of Thai women in Thailand by Westerners who grab and touch inappropriately and always for very low cost.....the rage is a build-up of a few decades of exploitation of Thai women perhaps, that you are not taking into account.

Current list of where not to go: Phuket & Pattaya

Anywhere a drunk d*******d is carrying a gun.

I.e. pretty much everywhere there is a large group of Thai men.

Where in Thailand is it that you will not find a large group of thai men?

Alcohol + Brainless + NO morals coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Another tragic death but I have to ask why was he carrying a firearm ? Will there be a valid reason or just because it's the done thing, however if he was legally carrying in connection with his job for example why was he out drinking when armed ? It's all a recipe for disaster.

It has been mentioned, on other media sites, that quote "Khun Udom was unemployed but surprisingly wealthy. The dead man's purse revealed 10,000 baht in cash, five gold amulets, a gold necklet, an expensive bracelet and a gold ring."

• Like 1

Maybe I'm wrong. But it seems like I am constantly hearing about how any Thai person- any- can potentially get very violent with you if you cross certain, possibly invisible, lines with them in regards of disrespect or perceived disrespect...

Thais bottle so many emotions up because their culture disapproves of confrontation. Therefore, some folks are literal pressure cookers and when the lid blows off, you don't want to be around them.

+1.. that Is so true, the evidence is there to be seen everyday.